Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

enormous long term imposition of a foreign administrative structure seems to be one obvious thing that makes an empire different from a raid. imposition of a lingua franca of some sort maybe. shared currency if that shits around. disallowing by law local military forces that arent auxiliaries of the dominant power. raids can be a prelude to empire, and actual empires are a bit like long term well organised plunderings, and what an empires theory of empire is (civilising the barbarians, or whatever) might be inconsistent with what their actual historical reality is (exploitation), but that doesnt mean empires dont exist

yeah. empires are real. ebola is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's the last bastion of acceptable hatred amongst NPR listening college kids who still want to feel that sweet sweet hate flow through their veins. I always assume that all of the ones saying it are white. Black people don't hate white people, they hate Mexicans.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah. empires are real. ebola is real.

i never said ebola is real is real.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Orkin Mang posted:

enormous long term imposition of a foreign administrative structure seems to be one obvious thing that makes an empire different from a raid. imposition of a lingua franca of some sort maybe. shared currency if that shits around. disallowing by law local military forces that arent auxiliaries of the dominant power. raids can be a prelude to empire, and actual empires are a bit like long term well organised plunderings, and what an empires theory of empire is (civilising the barbarians, or whatever) might be inconsistent with what their actual historical reality is (exploitation), but that doesnt mean empires dont exist

Empire is, like most "big" things, a shared delusion that people agree to go along with which keeps a system working in regular order. If no one believed in it, it wouldn't be. However it wasn't "invented" until we (Europeans) really got going with the global exploitation thing in the early modern period. Previously, shahanshahs and satraps were content to have all deify their court or whatever, but they never imagined their role was in some way salutory or culturally progressive. Racism is a construction of a European power structure, as is our notion of financially competent territorial empire. If it was as un-pervidious as a mere mugging the world would be far better off today.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ariza posted:

It's the last bastion of acceptable hatred amongst NPR listening college kids who still want to feel that sweet sweet hate flow through their veins. I always assume that all of the ones saying it are white. Black people don't hate white people, they hate Mexicans.

- rush limbaugh

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ariza posted:

stop crying because you're the beneficent of 300 years of rape and robbery and own it, baby

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
White is basically terrible. White bread, white flour, white sugar, white wine, everything white blows.

especially the people

dark bread for life yo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

Empire is, like most "big" things, a shared delusion that people agree to go along with which keeps a system working in regular order. If no one believed in it, it wouldn't be. However it wasn't "invented" until we (Europeans) really got going with the global exploitation thing in the early modern period. Previously, shahanshahs and satraps were content to have all deify their court or whatever, but they never imagined their role was in some way salutory or culturally progressive. Racism is a construction of a European power structure, as is our notion of financially competent territorial empire. If it was as un-pervidious as a mere mugging the world would be far better off today.

so are u saying they have never existed or that they have but not until starting 300 years ago, or are u saying that they exist but only as shared convictions about race with no concrete reality, or that they have a concrete reality but that that reality is a logical extension of its racial core. because none of that sounds true. people really did get permanently occupied by foreign powers that set up a legal system and military system and taxed everyone.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

stop crying because you're the beneficent of 300 years of rape and robbery and own it, baby

I'm not white in any conceivable way. It's funny watching self-hating children running around in circles though. It doesn't make up for things your great grandparents did to my great grandparents, it just makes you look pathetic.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

are you seriously saying empires arent real because theyre social constructs?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm white. Who wants to fight?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm white. Who wants to fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TYKmQc0L4

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i'm from britain which is like white person's africa

all i can say is i'd rather live in a white person's country than a non-white country lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ariza posted:

I'm not white in any conceivable way. It's funny watching self-hating children running around in circles though. It doesn't make up for things your great grandparents did to my great grandparents, it just makes you look pathetic.

hey bro *holds out whiteass fist* fist pump, we coo yeh

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

Harime Nui posted:

we won get rekt nerd lmao i'll be over here playing videogames and eating all the food.

siding with evropa right now.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the "whitey" in the phrase "kill whitey" doesn't represent actual white people but instead the hierarchy of government/military/business officials commonly referred to in the 60s and 70s as "the man." it's just 90% of them happen to be extremely white for some reason, purely by coincidence i guess

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

Ape Fist posted:

people who guffaw about being white are usually incredibly loving white and are what people who don't guffaw about being white think about when other people say 'white people'

people who guffaw about being black are usually incredibly loving black and are what people who don't guffaw about being black think about when other people say 'black people'

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You see there's white people - and there's crackas

And crackas gotta go.

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

It's okay to make fun of white people because they like My Little Pony. But they're also evil people who are to blame for the world's woes? :a2m:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cucking Mama posted:

functionally white

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm white, but a poor

I hate white people because theyre always talking about airplanes. All my life, airplanes were just those things that are really loud and low in the sky. Like, once I moved out of the poor-neighborhood, and lived in Westchester and Long Island, I always heard people talking about flying somewhere or how they just got back or how their friends/family were coming or going.

Any 3-or-more day weekend involves white people talking about flying somewhere.

Any extended vacation involves white people place-dropping X amount of countries and Z amount of continents they visited.

LOL at being a 22 y.o. college senior and having freshman say to me "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ON AN AIRPLANE?!" and even one time "YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO EUROPE?!"

Working in IT, white people always pricing airplane tickets, always printing out airplane tickets. Theyve got favorites and apps and pinned tabs of airplane pricings.

that's my rant.

gently caress white people
especially suburban white people.
gently caress them and their airplanes

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't hate white people. I just hate everything they've ever done. hth op

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

People hate whitey because he playing the game of life but with cheat-code turned on.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i think it's funny that most major complaints about white people is that white are talking about or doing things out of reach of someone else in a lower social class than a white middle class person.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitey Kill Whitey

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
Guns Germs Steel and Small Penises

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
thought this thread said whats with the whiskey hate and was thinking of a good post that made fun of twentysomething internet gentlemen who think they're really manly and sophisticated b/c they post about expensive whiskey

was v disappointed

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
>read first two words of op
>notice forum baby
>stop reading

kill whitey

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Frijolero posted:

Whitey Kill Whitey

nice job not labeling you graph idiot :rolleyes:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
also hispanic isn't a real race it's a term created by politicians to try and relabel a group of people so they could more effectively market to them.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
it's really hip to be a white uncle tom these days

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
White people will coopt anything, even hating white people.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

thought this thread said whats with the whiskey hate and was thinking of a good post that made fun of twentysomething internet gentlemen who think they're really manly and sophisticated b/c they post about expensive whiskey

was v disappointed

go make a parody thread aobut it

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I actually dont experience a lot of whitey hate in my daily life OP

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
White people

Suck.

At least a bunch of the American ones feel guilty about it though, so that's cool.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

script kitty posted:

it's really hip to be a white uncle tom these days

a shameful cracka

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
We should just take the next two years and just destroy whitey, in particular, straight white males. Just take all their jobs, possessions, kill them, rape them, spit on them. Just two years where they get totally poo poo on. Then we just call everything even and I don't have to hear another story about "twitter outrage" when some idiot white guy makes an "insensitive" statement.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

RedMage129 posted:

We should just take the next two years and just destroy whitey, in particular, straight white males. Just take all their jobs, possessions, kill them, rape them, spit on them. Just two years where they get totally poo poo on. Then we just call everything even and I don't have to hear another story about "twitter outrage" when some idiot white guy makes an "insensitive" statement.

500 years would do it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Al Cowens posted:

White people will coopt anything, even hating white people.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

The Vikings like the Mongols were barbarian raiders not interested much in empire, despite both having huge regular military victories that could easily have lead to one

• Locked thread