Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

***This is the season 2 discussion thread for Coffin Princess Chaika. Haven't seen the kickass first season yet? What are you waiting for? Season 1 thread is over here! Spoilers for season 1 lie below.***

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle is season 2 of the anime adaptation of the LN series by Ichiro Sakaki. Once again it is being animated by BONES with the same director Masui Souichi.

Where did we leave off our characters at the end of season 1?

Chaika (white) Trabant (v.a. Anzai Chika)
Our favourite speech impaired magical sniper rifle welding wizard. Got a little closer to Tooru at the climax of the last battle? Goal: Collect the black diamonds rest of her evil(?) dad Gaz’s remains together for a heart-warming funeral (Gee that won’t go wrong).

Tooru Acura (v.a. Jet Li Majima Junji)
Employed by Chaika, Tooru is a master saboteur, welding 2 wire attached daggers. Took quite a few injuries in the last episode, perhaps considering to become a dragoon cavalier? Goal: Honour his current contract. Looking for constant battles to satisfy his melancholy.

Akari Acura (v.a. DMX Hara Yuuko)
Second half of the saboteur crew, welds extendo-sledgehammer. Underwent a few episodes of Magical Brainwashing. ‘In love’ with her brother but fortunately only used as comic relief. Goal: Be there to stuff her brother’s corpse in case he dies.

Fredrica (v.a. Saito Chiwa)
Goon favorite from last season, a deadly shape-shifting dragoon. Surprisingly hard to kill. Goal: Fight and kill Tooru. Or make him her master. It’s one or the other I’m sure.

Chaika (red)
Twice fought Tooru, loss both fights. Welds sick as snake blade. Goals: Enact revenge for Gaz’s death. Restart the War. Kill the rest of the Chaikas.

Vivi / Chaika (???)
Mourning Gillette-sama’s death. Traumatized so deeply she turned into another Chaika. Welds needles. Goal: ??? Since becoming a Chaika maybe she will go around collecting Gaz’s parts. Or only until she meets the Sea God(?) who dispenses Chaika’s memories of death in Gaz’s castle.

So hopefully we get some answers this season. Though probably not. With any luck there are more high quality animated fights. And some creepy new monsters. Seriously those ‘guard dogs’ from the last few episodes look like they came out of Dead Space.

There were too many great gifs from last season’s thread to include in this OP, so you might want to reread it to catch the few I left out.

Airs Wednesdays on Crunchyroll

Webcormac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
The part where Vivi turned into a Chaika really came out of nowhere. I seriously hope we get some answers to why that happened.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't really care who, but someone better be streaming this!

Also, great use of the Wanted Poster images OP.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ready for some more kickass fights. This show could be total trash otherwise and I would still suffer through it just for those fight scenes.

Luckily this show is also pretty decent outside of the fights!

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Ugh. Should have used Chaika 2 the Grave. Hopefully a cradle shows up?

Vivi's new colour is in that newtype scan but can't make it out for certain, probably purple. I'll wait for the new ep to edit that in the OP.

Love this moment from season 1, Chaika looks so awkwardly cute.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This anime has some great Dark Souls clips

Hope season 2 is just as over the top as S1 and as easy to take jabs at.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I've no idea whether the show's good or not but Chaika's cuteness does trigger the so drat right moe reflex. Probably not good for my sanity. Shocking Truth!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kubla Khan posted:

I've no idea whether the show's good or not but Chaika's cuteness does trigger the so drat right moe reflex. Probably not good for my sanity. Shocking Truth!

I'm no ~anime aficionado~, but the thing that I like about the main characters Toru/Tooru and Akari is that they don't gently caress around if they can help it. Toru (end of S1 spoilers)just stabs the loving murder-obsessed young kid in the gut, nothing fancy or over the top, and Akari loving brains the head honcho mage after she recovers from his brain-washing.

It's sick as gently caress :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, I'll go and say its actually good despite what could have been interpreted as moe pandering. The reason why Chaika is the way she is... well its genius. A process of creating multiple clones each with her own individual characteristics designed to attack a problem in her own way towards the same goal is great. We just happened to be watching the one thats made to be cute and inoffensive (so that she can subconsciously elicit sympathy from people like Tooru), it was a great reveal.

The entire cast is super competent and no frills attitude toward completing their goals is refreshing. Even the "dumb" character like Frederica comes up with some great turn arounds. "Yeah that weakness I've been saying I have since I showed up? Ive been lying, its not real. You cant kill me, I'll just show up smaller and angrier than before"

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 5, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yep, that's about how I feel too. This silly show turned out to be actually good!

Also, you probably don't need to spoiler tag stuff from last season.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Also this is the most mysterious moment as in the two behind Mr. Razor; notice Chaika Blue was super shocked to see him which is weird given how Chaika White knows him to be a reliable informant. This guy is going to be a major player.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2014

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

After how great the first season was I figure I'll be catching this one as soon as it goes up on crunchyroll this season.
Basically,

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hope Toohru takes Frederica's deal. Seeing him use Iron Blood with Dragoon Cavalier powers must be :tviv: as hell.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I'll go and say its actually good despite what could have been interpreted as moe pandering. The reason why Chaika is the way she is... well its genius. A process of creating multiple clones each with her own individual characteristics designed to attack a problem in her own way towards the same goal is great. We just happened to be watching the one thats made to be cute and inoffensive (so that she can subconsciously elicit sympathy from people like Tooru), it was a great reveal.

The sad thing is that she seems to be truly genuine, but at the same time that is the way she was 'programmed' to be. They manage to use the concept really well. It helps that Chaika is competent in her own right, instead of just having Toohru protect her from anything bad that ever happens.

Liver Disaster posted:

After how great the first season was I figure I'll be catching this one as soon as it goes up on crunchyroll this season.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Chaika?

Yes. Chaika.

Chaika.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Is there some trope/character design reason/cultural significance to thick eyebrows in Japan? It gets pointed out in every series that has a character with thick eyebrows. FLCL had a whole running subplot about eyebrows that I never understood.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

organism posted:

FLCL had a whole running subplot about eyebrows that I never understood.

That was particular to FLCL. The idea was that the guy used his giant eyebrows to make himself appear manly when in reality he was an incompetent and cowardly. When he loses those eyebrows, it happens at the same time when the truth about his character is revealed.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Can't wait to see more of Frederika's antics! :dance:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Command Ant posted:

If they can manage to top chest bursting Fredericka, I'll be impressed to say the least :allears:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Sydnesider posted:

Love this moment from season 1, Chaika looks so awkwardly cute.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh my god, look at that photoshop. :alears:

First season may not have blown anything out of the water but it was fun and the plot is interesting enough. And seriously, you can never get enough of Fredrica.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:toot:
Season 2 is on Crunchyroll, surprising almost no one.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/chaika-the-coffin-princess-

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtop...syte-the-maxim-

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 8, 2014

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like they listed almost everywhere that isn't Australia, where the hell am I watching this from?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Given how censor happy some series have been recently I'm surprise with how violent S2 Chaika starts without a single black bar.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Agreed, that was a pretty brutal way to start off a series.
Definitely worth the cr subscription on its own for me, really hoping for Dragoon Toru soon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A good first episode. Nothing mind blowing but it had lots of world building and the cast hasn't lost their edge from last season. Still smart and interesting plus we get Winchester magic rifle and Chaika honestly trying to improve her combat readiness to be less of a burden

Also looks like Vivi isn't getting the speech impediment, voice or eyebrows because her transformation wasn't fully complete.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Chaika continues to be Chaika, both the show and the character. Which is to say that it was a bit dumb, mostly fun, and still doesn't make any sense. I'm cool with that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think this was/is my most anticipated show of the season, and the first episode hasn't disappointed. It's more Chaika, which is exactly what I wanted.

I can't help but think that our crew needs to concentrate on exploiting Chaika's strengths rather than improving her weaknesses. Faster magic's great and all, but I imagine that actually keeping her far away from the action at a hidden location would work out better. Just let her slam folks with long-distance sniper rifle magic when they don't expect it. Starting off within spitting distance is hardly a fair fight for a sniper.

Vivi's totally going to go full Chaika by the end of the season. Dragoon Cavalier Tooru will be necessary to either stop her or turn her back.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The problem with that is that her strengths cant really be used to what they are doing 99% of the time. Sure in this particular case it could have worked but Chaika pretty prideful and stubborn so she decides to face it head on because honor.

They need her to be with them so she can use the scans. They dont have time to set up ambushes since they are the ones that are usually going on the offense falling into traps. It has to be this way since they are the ones going after the pieces in the first place!

So really, even though she subconsciously picked two front line fighters to be her party members to shore up her weakness...she has to realize that she was screwed with her main class. She needs to adapt and pick combat casting passives :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The issue is that other wizards in the series are way more agile than Chaika, like Red Chaika's Wizard and this one. So even if they can't get their spells of, they can still escape. That's why Chaika's weakness makes her a serious liability compared to Tohru and Akari.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That's even more reason for her to be a couple miles away.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

But that means exposing her to scouts who would be able to find her undefended. And in that sort of situation, having faster cast times would still be preferable than min maxing her headshot procs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

But they cant leave her a couple miles away :smith:

Chaika's strengths just dont work well when they have to be constantly moving and being the aggressors. Unless Chaika becomes the dragoon and rides around Frederica shooting at range while still being mobile.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Annointed posted:

But that means exposing her to scouts who would be able to find her undefended. And in that sort of situation, having faster cast times would still be preferable than min maxing her headshot procs.

Improved casting time would be great, but it's not an overnight improvement sort of thing. Heck, I'm not even talking about making her better at magic sniping, I'm talking about using her existing skills better. Right now they have a drag racer and they're using her to haul cargo.

Really, they need to all be a couple miles away. Sniper only until the enemy closes in, then Akari & Tooru to finish if necessary.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

But they cant leave her a couple miles away :smith:

Chaika's strengths just dont work well when they have to be constantly moving and being the aggressors. Unless Chaika becomes the dragoon and rides around Frederica shooting at range while still being mobile.

This sounds amazing.

However, just because they have to be on the strategic offense doesn't mean they can't set up tactical ambushes.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Command Ant posted:

Probably my favorite scene of the first season. Her expression is entirely "Oh is it time to beat the poo poo out of him?" :buddy: "My turn!"

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Chaika Wednesday is back!

Agreed that is was a solid first episode all around. I don't doubt Chaika will some kind of breakthrough on the speed-casting trick, but man now I just want to see Dragoon Chaika instead. You Bastard

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

madmac posted:

Chaika Wednesday is back!

Agreed that is was a solid first episode all around. I don't doubt Chaika will some kind of breakthrough on the speed-casting trick, but man now I just want to see Dragoon Chaika instead. You Bastard

I too want to see dragoon Chaika (not as much as dragoon Akari so that she finally gets something unique to her, though), and I like that it looks like Chaika's upgrade is going to be a slow burn rather than a sudden thing for a change of pace.

I'm glad the raddest dnd campaign is back and looking pretty true to form. The Gillette team actually having as much of a clue as they can be reasonably expected to have also remains a refreshing thing to see.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

2 Chaika 2 Furious: the Cradle to the Grapes

She's just going to town on those things.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I cannot believe this episode passed on a perfectly good opportunity for Drunk Chaika. Show plz

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Redcrimson posted:

I cannot believe this episode passed on a perfectly good opportunity for Drunk Chaika. Show plz

:agreed:

Ok, now that I've stopped giggling about Chaika eating all the grapes in the place I have to say that was a great way to start off the new season. Dump us right at a new Hero's place, in the middle of a fight and a glimpse of the dead Emperor himself too.

Although I'm kinda mad because this:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Unless Chaika becomes the dragoon and rides around Frederica shooting at range while still being mobile.
is too cool to not happen. But, it probably won't. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

If only we waited for the first episode to air, this could have been the thread title.

a kitten posted:

2 Chaika 2 Furious: the Cradle to the Grapes

• Locked thread