Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You knew it was sci fi because a prostitute was supposed to be respectable profession lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

You knew it was sci fi because a prostitute was supposed to be respectable profession lol

she was a space courtesan get it right

lfield
May 10, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

& some of the swears they said were like the swears of today, with a twist

thats because language tends to change over time. nice idea from joss there

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Those 14 or however many episodes were fun and everythign but if you don't think that show would've crapped itself into shittiness by the 3rd or 4th season you're deluding yourself

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Those 14 or however many episodes were fun and everythign but if you don't think that show would've crapped itself into shittiness by the 3rd or 4th season you're deluding yourself

Just like Kurt cobaines

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
OP dislikes Firefly fans, yet OP bothered to do research about Firefly fan culture. Does that seem right to you?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

one year i had a job interviewing people at dragoncon for some third rate production company in atlanta. i got a press pass and got to go backstage or whatever. The entire cast of serenity was there that year and it was a big deal. the line to see them was around the block. every single one of the fans was some obese person in terrible suspenders.

i'd never seen an episode of this show so I didn't know what the big deal was.

at some point I had to take a piss so I went to the backstage bathrooms they'd set up. there was a dude in the urinal beside me so naturally i just stared straight at the wall and didn't say a single thing (because that would be gay).

when we were washing hands I realized it was nathan fillion. He looked exhausted and miserable but I didn't realize he was in firefly.

"Hey man," I said. He turned to me like he was about blow his brains out right in front of me. "You were really good in Saving Private Ryan."

His face lit up, he sighed loudly, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "You have no loving idea what that means to me."

Then his thousand yard stare returned and he went back into the sweating masses. I didn't put two and two together until a year later.

Sax
Mar 30, 2008

I'm your coffee, pal! :coffeepal:

FizFashizzle posted:

one year i had a job interviewing people at dragoncon for some third rate production company in atlanta. i got a press pass and got to go backstage or whatever. The entire cast of serenity was there that year and it was a big deal. the line to see them was around the block. every single one of the fans was some obese person in terrible suspenders.

at some point I had to take a piss so I went to the backstage bathrooms they'd set up. there was a dude in the urinal beside me so naturally i just stared straight at the wall and didn't say a single thing (because that would be gay).

when we were washing hands I realized it was nathan fillion. He looked exhausted and miserable but I didn't realize he was in firefly.

"Hey man," I said. He turned to me like he was about blow his brains out right in front of me. "You were really good in Saving Private Ryan."

His face lit up, he sighed loudly, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "You have no loving idea what that means to me."

Then his thousand yard stare returned and he went back into the sweating masses. I didn't put two and two together until a year later.

Feel good post of the year, right here:coffeepal:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

No dick sucking at the urinals, fail post

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Fake as hell but I want to believe.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I loving hate how true this is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My nerd friends convinced me to watch Firefly. I did. I watched the whole series and the movie. It was really boring. Not awful, just totally bland and unforgettable, just like everything else Joss Whedon has done. It does a good job pandering to nerds. It has everything shut-in autistic nerds love. Han Solo knock-offs, space ships, space hookers, people speaking chinese for no reason, super bad-rear end but quiet sperg girl.

I guess I have to give Joss Whedon credit. He knows how to reach his target audience.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

i can confirm this actually happened

don't ask me how. i just can

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
It's cool to hate things some people like.

Can't stop the signal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

My nerd friends convinced me to watch Firefly. I did. I watched the whole series and the movie. It was really boring. Not awful, just totally bland and unforgettable, just like everything else Joss Whedon has done. It does a good job pandering to nerds. It has everything shut-in autistic nerds love. Han Solo knock-offs, space ships, space hookers, people speaking chinese for no reason, super bad-rear end but quiet sperg girl.

I guess I have to give Joss Whedon credit. He knows how to reach his target audience.

It's not even really the sci-fi trappings that gets fans, it's the surrogate family aspect. It turns out that outcasts, losers, autists, and shut-ins glom onto media that shows a romantic fantasy of finding one's place among other misfits and building life, love, and happiness out of the poo poo hand that fate and your own flaws dealt you. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

mind the walrus posted:

It's not even really the sci-fi trappings that gets fans, it's the surrogate family aspect. It turns out that outcasts, losers, autists, and shut-ins glom onto media that shows a romantic fantasy of finding one's place among other misfits and building life, love, and happiness out of the poo poo hand that fate and your own flaws dealt you. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

Well said. The sci-fi is always way in the background and the appeal entirely comes from the characterizations and the interactions of those characters. You hit it right on the head.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also a major theme in Joss Whedon's work to the point where you wonder if he even can say anything else (not that I personally mind since he varies it up every time to suit the setting/characters). The"surrogate family" schtick is the focal point in Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, and The Avengers. Even the Cabin in the Woods has two examples of this underneath the satire (I know Whedon didn't write it but it was one of his proteges and he was involved).

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 5, 2014

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

Leaving this here.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

op is dull as gently caress

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
are you sure they're literally insane? not just figuratively? be sure op it's an important distinction.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

david... posted:

op is dull as gently caress

loving poo poo is that a rude dog avatar?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

iSheep posted:

loving poo poo is that a rude dog avatar?

cram it dweeb

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

redshirt posted:

Well said. The sci-fi is always way in the background and the appeal entirely comes from the characterizations and the interactions of those characters. You hit it right on the head.
Yeah man, there's barely any technobabble about photon torpedoes. A story that focuses on characterization and character interaction.

That's pretty much the basis of any decent story. Scifi would be way better if it understood how to do those two things instead of compensating with CGI spaceships.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 5, 2014

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

joss whedons roseanne episodes were good

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
joss whedon ruined the Alien franchise by directing the shittiest movie in the series. then he blamed it on the writer

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elukka posted:

Yeah man, there's barely any technobabble about photon torpedoes. A story that focuses on characterization and character interaction.

That's pretty much the basis of any decent story. Scifi would be way better if it understood how to do those two things instead of compensating with CGI spaceships.

Except only a loving retard could think that there was any meaningful characterization or character interaction in Firefly. Everyone is a witty quip-machine who makes witty quips at other witty quip-machines. There's a leader one, a smart one, a stupid one, an autistic one, a slutty one, a girl next door one, one was a twofer by being both a minority and a "strong" woman, and the last one is one that fucks the lady.

Joss Whedan has some alright ideas and he can write alright dialog when it's appropriate for people to be joking with one another, but he cannot do anything other than that.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I knew someone who was insane. He thought he was god and that he was the one that created everything. He thought if he wasn't home before the sun went down that earth's gravity would cease to exist and we'd all be flung out into space. He also talked non - stop about wanting to gently caress a girl in the rear end and have poo poo on his dick when he pulled it out and then he wanted to shove his lovely dick into her mouth. If all of that is in the firefly mmo than I agree with you. If not, then I think you might be upset that whatever show you really like doesn't have an mmo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

orangesampson posted:

Leaving this here.

She is now typecast as the techie dream girl all eternity.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

NObodiesGeek posted:

I knew someone who was insane. He thought he was god and that he was the one that created everything. He thought if he wasn't home before the sun went down that earth's gravity would cease to exist and we'd all be flung out into space. He also talked non - stop about wanting to gently caress a girl in the rear end and have poo poo on his dick when he pulled it out and then he wanted to shove his lovely dick into her mouth. If all of that is in the firefly mmo than I agree with you. If not, then I think you might be upset that whatever show you really like doesn't have an mmo.

Lol

I thought this was a serious post until I realized it's the plot of episode 2 of firefly

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

from imgur:

I proposed to my boyfriend yesterday on the bridge of the Enterprise, he said yes and I couldn't be happier.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Lagrange posted:

I liked Firefly.

Me too, but the fans are loving mental.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i can confirm this actually happened

don't ask me how. i just can

I can get double confirmation tomorrow.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 5, 2014

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
whoops I can also double post

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This guy made me watch a few episodes one time. The only part I remember is when Nathan Fillion kicked that guy into the jet engine. I lol'd.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

etalian posted:

She is now typecast as the techie dream girl all eternity.

Is she had her own talk show, I admit I would watch it.

The whole spirit animal thing is creepy though.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Don Tacorleone posted:

from imgur:

I proposed to my boyfriend yesterday on the bridge of the Enterprise, he said yes and I couldn't be happier.

everyone looks really happy and it makes me angry

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

plain blue jacket posted:

everyone looks really happy and it makes me angry

agreed

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Mediocre show with obsessive fans. That's all I got

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
yeah man you can't go anywhere these days without Firefly just in your face constantly

finally a relevant and up-to-date topic for us to complain about in 2004 GBS

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

The Whole Internet posted:

yeah man you can't go anywhere these days without Firefly just in your face constantly

finally a relevant and up-to-date topic for us to complain about in 2004 GBS

There needs to be an under current thread about sliders being the best show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

orangesampson posted:

There needs to be an under current thread about sliders being the best show.

sliders had the worst DVD box art ever. I just want to throw that out there

• Locked thread