Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Dr. Who has worse fans and also it's a much shittier show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I never saw Firefly, and that's because of its fans.

I've never had sex, because people who talk about sex all the time are weird.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lowtax posted:

Same but I gave it a shot recently and it's not bad It's basically a western with token sci fi elements and it's mostly okay. It's not outstanding and in two episodes it's done nothing to merit the cult following, but it's not terrible and you could do worse things than watch it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I've never [eaten chocolate] and that's because of its fans.

When other people [eat chocolate] I spend that time feeling smug about my decision to not [eat chocolate].

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Costello Jello posted:

Timey Wimey.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i liked firefly and it's actually the only joss whedon tv show i liked. welp, that's my story.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Benedick Cuckold posted:

this would be a great point if watchign dumb sci-fi poo poo was a biological imperative for nearly every species on earth

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Costello Jello posted:

This is true for literally any television show you care to name, though?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The movie Serenity has god awful dialogue that is so forced it's painful to hear. Does the show use the same writers?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

The movie Serenity has god awful dialogue that is so forced it's painful to hear. Does the show use the same writers?

The one and only

It's the entire draw of the show. Whedon fans are the people who like it

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

This is true for literally any television show you care to name, though?

Not any show. Sherlock is another good fit though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

this would be a great point if watchign dumb sci-fi poo poo was a biological imperative for nearly every species on earth

I don't know what point you think I'm trying to make. I just wanted everyone to know that I'm a virgin.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
we already knew

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Will you be my first? I feel like we've kind of got a Sam and Diane thing going on here.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
you have to promise not to tell anyone, but ok

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I've never compared watching a television show to having sex, because people who would say that are stupid.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I've never compared watching a television show to having sex, because people who would say that are stupid.

I know it's stupid, Lowtax. That's what was supposed to make it funny. I'm sorry.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

i liked firefly and it's actually the only joss whedon tv show i liked. welp, that's my story.

Same here, I tried watching his other shows and movies but the farther into his career you go the more his characters are just irritating people who are so snappy with every line that their heads just wobble back and forth smugly on their necks like a piece of fruit on a plate of jello

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Buffy and Angel are awesome TV shows and you suck if you don't agree. If you've never watched them, your loss.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tighclops posted:

Same here, I tried watching his other shows and movies but the farther into his career you go the more his characters are just irritating people who are so snappy with every line that their heads just wobble back and forth smugly on their necks like a piece of fruit on a plate of jello

I think this is what it was for me; it's like each character was just muscling to get in a snappy zinger every time it was their turn to talk.

It some ways it was like watching Juno again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lowtax posted:

You're a smart man, Lowtax.

Costello Jello posted:

Worse fans yes, shittier show no.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You're a smart man, Lowtax.

Worse fans yes, shittier show no.
The closest thing I can compare it to is fans of that old comedy "Sports Night." They would go on and on about how it's the most intelligently and elaborately written form of media in the history of the universe, and before you have a chance to watch it yourself, you're drowning in propaganda for the show and it drives you away. Yuck.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

Buffy and Angel are awesome TV shows and you suck if you don't agree. If you've never watched them, your loss.

I agree. But Firefly was only okay. It wasn't amazing or anything. But if Fox hadn't hosed it over so flagrantly, its fanbase probably wouldn't be as annoying as it is.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Lowtax posted:

The closest thing I can compare it to is fans of that old comedy "Sports Night." They would go on and on about how it's the most intelligently and elaborately written form of media in the history of the universe, and before you have a chance to watch it yourself, you're drowning in propaganda for the show and it drives you away. Yuck.

Yeah but that's a pretty dumb reaction though, imo. You can accidentally miss cool things in life being a perpetual 90's teenager. I don't know, I've just never had that reaction to not do something that might be fun or watch something that might be good because of annoying people.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I saw one episode of firefly and was like "Ah, so this is like if you took Star Trek, a really crappy b-western, and mixed it with that Nickelodeon cartoon, Rocket Power, huh?"

My witty critique of the show utterly demolished it. That's why another season wasn't made. I'm sorry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lowtax posted:

Yeah. Aaron Sorkin is basically the same person as Joss Whedon and his fans are just as awful.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The comparison between Sorkin and Whedon is actually interesting because both guys can be awfully annoying when they write their characters being insufferably witty. Sorkin is just terrible with women through his characters and Whedon gets too much praise for his women because the bar is set really low.

When Sorkin is good, he's really good. (Moneyball, The Social Network, etc.) When he's not good, he's loving terrible. (Studio 60, The Newsroom) From what we've seen when he's not nerd-pandering, Whedon probably could be a good writer. And with his nerd-pandering, it often works out (The Avengers) but sometimes not so much.

Sorkin might be what happens to Whedon if all of Whedon's core and casual fans turn on him and all goodwill suddenly collapses and Whedon decides he doesn't need to be a feminist anymore.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Unfortunately I know a woman who to this day says "shiny" instead of "good" because she watched Firefly.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 7, 2014

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lowtax posted:

I felt the same way about Fight Club when it first came out, there was so much hype it was hard to see what the real appeal was. But when I heard from a couple of friends that I knew had good taste that it really was good, I saw it and loved it. I think it's more about who you listen to rather than all the hype. Lots of things get hyped out of all proportion so it's better to have some trusted sources for advice on things like that.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Unfortunatly I know a woman who to this day says "shiny" instead of "good" because she watched Firefly.

this woman is an example of someone to not listen to

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lowtax posted:

Lowtqx

I have a friend who does this
He has not watched Breaking Bad nor Game of thrones, because they're popular and have rabid fans

He is a loving idiot, don't be like my friend

Firefly is not THAT good but it was entertaining and better than 90% of sci fi, I don't know how well it's held up considering it came out 14 loving years ago

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I have not watched the wire because it has the whitest fans

I eventually watched Deadwood and didn't dislike it but it wasn't THAT good

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I also hated iPhones and loved my lovely blackberry until 2011, because of Apple faggots

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

I have not watched the wire because it has the whitest fans

I eventually watched Deadwood and didn't dislike it but it wasn't THAT good

Well you should have stopped after season 2. Third season of Deadwood is a big gently caress you to viewers. In the last few episodes the cast must have known they were being canceled and it showed.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hello, I like Firefly, and I'm a loving idiot

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Lowtqx

I have a friend who does this
He has not watched Breaking Bad nor Game of thrones, because they're popular and have rabid fans

He is a loving idiot, don't be like my friend
Well also I don't like pew pew shoot em up Han Solo Star Track space shows.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

I liked Studio 60. I can't see anybody making a cult-of-pointless-nerds following of it, though.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i like sports, i want to make a thread about sports and how great sports are, maybe even a little game theory for the nerdy nerds, what do you think taxman do you like sports too? maybe you could take up mma if we could kickstart star citizen we could kickstart your punchsport career

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

i like sports, i want to make a thread about sports and how great sports are, maybe even a little game theory for the nerdy nerds, what do you think taxman do you like sports too? maybe you could take up mma if we could kickstart star citizen we could kickstart your punchsport career

Start a thread bro.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
The Game is coming on and i cannot look away that is how much i love sports

i hope the redskins can turn around the season and win the superbowl showing everyone the power of stereotypes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

The Game is coming on and i cannot look away that is how much i love sports

• Locked thread