Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i don't...what is that some kind of twister skeet on acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How big is Summer Glau's head now?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Stoic Commie posted:

i like sports, i want to make a thread about sports and how great sports are, maybe even a little game theory for the nerdy nerds, what do you think taxman do you like sports too? maybe you could take up mma if we could kickstart star citizen we could kickstart your punchsport career

um you mean sprots

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
lol what! shut u pdad you're silly

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I hate myself for getting this reference

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

gnarlyhotep posted:

Poop-socking in the future involves getting the contents of your colon periodically transported into space by O'Brien, the only one not allowed to play The Game.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

I also hated iPhones and loved my lovely blackberry until 2011, because of Apple faggots

don't sign your posts

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gnarlyhotep posted:

Sci-Fi nerds HATE this one simple reference! Click here to find out!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Lowtax posted:

um you mean sprots

I think you mean Sprouts, it was a great BBC show about several bean sprouts at a wizard academy and their misadventures. It was probably the height of all television shows and ran for only 1.5 seasons due to the general populations lack of taste. Loved those Sprouts.

SevenThousandYears
Nov 6, 2010

Is that the kind of thing you are into, man.
I kind of like firefly i guess that makes me a full on libertarian brony human being, get the governmint out of our pockets and our lives and our bedrooms

it is pretty insane to make a game about something you like tho, ease up you wannabe centrist fucks

also dont tell me its not cool to make love to my sis in a jayne mask

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

"I understood that reference." (Reference to Marvel's The Avengers, written and directed by Joss Whedon.)

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Costello Jello posted:

I've never [eaten chocolate] and that's because of its fans.

When other people [eat chocolate] I spend that time feeling smug about my decision to not [eat chocolate].

there are chicks out there who never shut the gently caress up about chocolate and they're pretty insufferable

#realtalk

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Op did a firefly ship touch you when you were a child?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Magnus Gallant posted:

Op did a firefly ship touch you when you were a child?

I'm thinking it didn't and he's bitter about that

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
the great irony of Firefly is that it's now a cautionary tale for networks and resurrecting failed TV shows. It had a rabid, devoted fanbase that bought DVD sets for their family and friends and managed through sheer word-of-mouth and stubbornness to get the show remade into a feature film.... which didn't even hit #1 it's opening weekend and fizzled out immediately after.

I'm sure in the decade+ since there's been several cancelled TV shows that have gone to other networks and said "hey, give us another chance" and the executives looked at Firefly and said "haha, nope."

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Popular Human posted:

the show remade into a feature film.... which didn't even hit #1 it's opening weekend and fizzled out immediately after.

That was just a poor strategy. Whedon had to make a film that appealed to the very people who cared about the show, but trying to make it also appeal to an audience that had never heard of Firefly and didn't know the characters is basically an impossible task. My wife didn't like the movie very much, but then she eventually watched the show and loved it, and liked the movie on a second watch, and this time she was devastated when Wash died, and she didn't give a poo poo the first time of course.

I think it could have succeeded as a tv show, but no network wanted to do it, and no cable channel had the budget required since this was back in the dark ages of tv before cable channels started taking chances.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

That was just a poor strategy. Whedon had to make a film that appealed to the very people who cared about the show, but trying to make it also appeal to an audience that had never heard of Firefly and didn't know the characters is basically an impossible task. My wife didn't like the movie very much, but then she eventually watched the show and loved it, and liked the movie on a second watch, and this time she was devastated when Wash died, and she didn't give a poo poo the first time of course.

I think it could have succeeded as a tv show, but no network wanted to do it, and no cable channel had the budget required since this was back in the dark ages of tv before cable channels started taking chances.

Stop forcing your wife to like your nerd things

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

don't kinkshame

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Well, she makes me watch poo poo like "Say Yes to the Dress". She does almost always massage me while we're watching it though so I don't leave the room.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

The one and only

It's the entire draw of the show. Whedon fans are the people who like it

To be fair, though, a lot of people are shitlords who can't talk good and hate whedonisms.

Like the British.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I heard people raving about Firefly a lot and I was like hm maybe I'll check this out and then I did and after that whenever I heard people raving about Firefly I was like 'ugh'.

Like it's not bad but get off Joss Whedon's dick you guys.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Viridiant posted:

I heard people raving about Firefly a lot and I was like hm maybe I'll check this out and then I did and after that whenever I heard people raving about Firefly I was like 'ugh'.

Like it's not bad but get off Joss Whedon's dick you guys.

lighten up francis

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

gnarlyhotep posted:

lighten up francis

I get it. :)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

this thread posted:

many goons posted:

:goonsay:
:qqsay:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Popular Human posted:

the great irony of Firefly is that it's now a cautionary tale for networks and resurrecting failed TV shows. It had a rabid, devoted fanbase that bought DVD sets for their family and friends and managed through sheer word-of-mouth and stubbornness to get the show remade into a feature film.... which didn't even hit #1 it's opening weekend and fizzled out immediately after.

I'm sure in the decade+ since there's been several cancelled TV shows that have gone to other networks and said "hey, give us another chance" and the executives looked at Firefly and said "haha, nope."

i think the lesson was: don't take a cult sci fi show that was aired out of order, shuffled around time slots, and cancelled before it could build an audience, and then release it as a stand-alone feature film and expect it to make lots of money. no one should have needed a "cautionary tale" to realize that wouldn't work. if whedon was doing anything other than conning the studio into giving him some up-front cash to fund his pet project, then he's an idiot.

also the movie wasn't very good, but it got mostly positive reviews from critics, so i'm pretty sure people stayed away because they had no idea what it was, not because of its inherent shittiness

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Costello Jello posted:

Veronica Mars.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the firefly movie was really bad when looked at by itself

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

Veronica Mars.

i don't know what anyone who wasn't a fan could possibly get out of that movie. i barely got anything out of it as a fan, which is impressive given the lengths they went to to try to pander to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I liked Dollhouse.

• Locked thread