Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Word on the Wind posted:

Well, this opened right up with not screwing around with making you feel bad.

What have we done that was truly evil? Beyond making the pillar bloom, and murdering the tree, and yeah we're totally the baddies.
But, the caterpillar was a man-eating one and would it kill Malia to tell us why making the pillars bloom is a bad idea? Before siccing her pet ent on us? It's not like Metallia would have listened but good guys ought to try anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Metallia is only wearing pasties and Etna-pants, right? So what's with her profile in conversations, which looks like she's slathered in orange and white paint? Is that supposed to be some kind of artistic failure at a lighting effect?

Just looking at the UI tells me that the Tutorial, despite taking 30 minutes, missed covering a lot of things. Feinne didn't mention how you acquire Grade, although I guess that's just from killing things. WTF is that Fear-Love-Rage triangle grid? Ughhh nevermind, I'm just going to ignore all the gameplay details, it's just going to give me a migraine.

Maybe you really are the legendary creature spoken of in legend.

:ughh:

It's the shadow of her hat.

I actually did originally note that you get Grade from attacking and killing enemies, then I rewrote that section and it slipped through the cracks. I'll go edit it back in.

I honestly didn't mention the reaction triangle yet because it's not really very important.

Also here's our episode 2 question, a bit more philosophical given we have no real information on this:

What exactly do you think Forest Witch Malia did to piss in Metallia's cornflakes such that she wants her head?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Keeping her trapped in the swamp would be an obvious one.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Feinne posted:

I honestly didn't mention the reaction triangle yet because it's not really very important.

Yeah, I beat the game and I still only have a vague idea of how it works. I'm sure there's a loading screen that explains it well but I didn't see it. That's actually one of my biggest problems with this game, there's a lot of useful information about how the game works that you can only find on the loading screens.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

It's the shadow of her hat.

Well it looks terrible.

quote:

What exactly do you think Forest Witch Malia did to piss in Metallia's cornflakes such that she wants her head?

Judging by the rest of Metallia's personality so far, I'd say exist is a good enough reason.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that instead of letting someone escape to become a recurring boss fight later and instead of retreating from a boss that is supposedly too powerful for you, Metallia just burns them alive instead.
More RPG protagonists should take that kind of initiative.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So "poo poo-for brains" gets a bleep, but "bullshit", "whore" and "bitch" is a-ok? You're a weird one, game.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Malia probably sealed Metallia in the swamp, probably preventing her from even setting foot on non-swampy land. But only after whatever caused Lia to become Metallia. Arlecchino was pretty specific in his phrasing, whenever he speaks. He said he was loyal to Lia, not on Metallia's side.

I'm thinking that the pillars are to stop the spread of the deadly swamp. Whether or not that's by containing them, I'm not sure.

Oh and I'm a bit confused about this dialog, from way back in the prologue:

quote:

Visiting a house before and after domination will shift the resident’s attitudes, making facilities easier to use after dominating them.
Does that mean before raiding a building, you want to visit, to get more benefits for after raiding them? And then possibly immediately visit them after raiding?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Feinne posted:

joke answer: Malia literally pied in Metallia's conrflakes, or swampflakes :v:

serious answer: either banished Metallia to the swamp for "reasons" or stole her boy toy

Heck it'll probably be both of those bolded ones because it's a jrpg

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Malia and Metallia are sides of the same coin, they're a personality split from some point beyond when the game started. Alecchino is loyal to the base that split into both of them, Lia.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Metallia is only wearing pasties and Etna-pants, right? So what's with her profile in conversations, which looks like she's slathered in orange and white paint? Is that supposed to be some kind of artistic failure at a lighting effect?

Just looking at the UI tells me that the Tutorial, despite taking 30 minutes, missed covering a lot of things. Feinne didn't mention how you acquire Grade, although I guess that's just from killing things. WTF is that Fear-Love-Rage triangle grid? Ughhh nevermind, I'm just going to ignore all the gameplay details, it's just going to give me a migraine.

Maybe you really are the legendary creature spoken of in legend.

:ughh:

When she leans forward near the end I could not find her torso. She was a chest and then nothing between that and her legs. Just hair.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kgummy posted:

But only after whatever caused Lia to become Metallia.

Ask her big sister Zoa! :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kgummy posted:

Malia probably sealed Metallia in the swamp, probably preventing her from even setting foot on non-swampy land. But only after whatever caused Lia to become Metallia. Arlecchino was pretty specific in his phrasing, whenever he speaks. He said he was loyal to Lia, not on Metallia's side.

I'm thinking that the pillars are to stop the spread of the deadly swamp. Whether or not that's by containing them, I'm not sure.

Oh and I'm a bit confused about this dialog, from way back in the prologue:

Does that mean before raiding a building, you want to visit, to get more benefits for after raiding them? And then possibly immediately visit them after raiding?

Most places that aren't shops just kick you out before Raiding, whereas after you tend to get some healing or free experience.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Keeping her trapped in the swamp would be an obvious one.

Yeah, this seems obvious. Metallia talks about only walking on swamp, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only thing she can walk on.

Hence, wanting the swamp to spread to gain more freedom.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Judging by the rest of Metallia's personality so far, I'd say exist is a good enough reason.

I'm going with this one. So when do we get to see the swear jar?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

I'm going with this one. So when do we get to see the swear jar?

I believe at the moment we're at four things bleeped, I'll try and whip up something graphical soonish.

There's one of the later chapters that's probably going to double whatever number we're at by the end of it, no matter how high that number already is.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm thinking Malia's crime is Creating Metallia. That scene in the tutorial with the witch choking out the little girl could be non-witch Metallia being choked and possibly killed for whatever reason, and the old hag/witch maybe feels bad? I dunno more than that.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I actually just bought this game today after watching your first video (what a dirty shill you are, Feinne), to see how it plays. NISA's take on an action-RPG I guess. I'm at exactly the same point the LP is, and I'm pretty stoked abut actually playing for the bad guy. Even worse, while we're clearly "special" somehow (a legendary demon apparently), we're still just a throwaway minion. More games should put the player in that role. It's very refreshing.

The gameplay itself...seems a little slow-paced, lacking in information, and simple. I'm hoping the game gets more difficult than this, since I went through the entire tutorial and the forest without taking any damage. Then I got nailed by that same poison trap and wondered why my HP/GCals were dropping so fast. Didn't seem to notice any indications. I knew something was wrong; but not what was wrong. I even checked the pause menu and status screen and didn't see anything in particular.

quote:

Another person beat me to it.

I'm going with this:

quote:

I'm thinking Malia's crime is Creating Metallia. That scene in the tutorial with the witch choking out the little girl could be non-witch Metallia being choked and possibly killed for whatever reason, and the old hag/witch maybe feels bad?

For the earlier one, the one about what Metallica took from Hundred Knight? Gonna roll with its levels.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Man I love how the first level ends with you bisecting an completely innocent creature and then your boss teleports in and sets it on fire for basically no reason (it's not like half of a caterpillar is dangerous to Metallia).

The best part is it keeps getting worse! Everyone is a bad person in this game!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Since when is a monster that eats people completely innocent? It may have been a polite creature, but it was hardly a good one.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Ok mostly innocent. Look you take whatever you can get with this game.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
"I'm going to get my revenge, you'll see!" seems to be a pretty valid reason for killing an opponent in a video game.

And even then, the clear villainous protagonist isn't the one to do the final blow; the forest witch Malia is. Presumably to prevent the whole 'one of them' being elaborated on. And this is from who Arlecchino is.

Though I did notice that 'Lia' is at the end of the forest witches' name. Which makes me wonder if, combined with caterpillar's line, there are more than the two witches we've seen so far, all split from the same Lia. Metallia being shunted to the poisonous swamp, and forced with all the evil corruption, in an attempt to save the world. Kind of a stupid plan considering Malia said that the pillars weren't what Metallia thought they were, but didn't care enough to elaborate. Just 'Go back to your swamp', without explaining why Metallia would even want to do that.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Omobono posted:

...and would it kill Malia to tell us why making the pillars bloom is a bad idea? Before siccing her pet ent on us? It's not like Metallia would have listened but good guys ought to try anyway.

Kgummy posted:

... Kind of a stupid plan considering Malia said that the pillars weren't what Metallia thought they were, but didn't care enough to elaborate. Just 'Go back to your swamp', without explaining why Metallia would even want to do that.

This right here. I'm more than a little tired of plots and conflicts in jRPGs that solely occur because nobody tells the Hero/Anti-hero/Whatever *why* their plans will bring about doom and destruction, and merely write off their warnings with "You don't know what you're doing," or "This macguffin's not what you think it is." Okay, yes, maybe it's bad business to advertise where the Big Red Button of World Destruction is or that playing basketball in the abandoned gym built on sacred grounds and using these bouncy relic orbs instead of real b-balls ties into such a thing, but still. If Metallia is such a dire threat that she's indefinitely sealed away in swamplands, then she's not the kind of person who would let something go at being told "Don't do that"!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Kgummy posted:

Just 'Go back to your swamp', without explaining why Metallia would even want to do that.
Well, she does want to go back to her swamp. Just that she defines "her swamp" as "what the world should be covered in".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kgummy posted:

"I'm going to get my revenge, you'll see!" seems to be a pretty valid reason for killing an opponent in a video game.

And even then, the clear villainous protagonist isn't the one to do the final blow; the forest witch Malia is. Presumably to prevent the whole 'one of them' being elaborated on. And this is from who Arlecchino is.

Maybe she just put the man-eating caterpillar to sleep? In the video it didn't look like she did anything overtly violent.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will say as with basically everything in this game we'll eventually get a reason for Malia's reticence to explain anything.

It certainly wouldn't have helped during that conversation, though, because Metallia is inconsolably angry at her for reasons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Soul Nomad is one of my favorite games of all time and if this game is a return to the theme of NIS going bleak then I am totally on board.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Quick update tonight or tomorrow (depending on how quickly I can write it up) with a couple of brief scenes that happen before we head out to find Malia and a discussion of equipment. I'm hoping to have the second half of The Witch and Her Nemesis ready by Sundayish, I'll definitely have a dungeon highlights reel this time because there's some cool new stuff that first shows up in Wudes Forest.

Also I always forget how loving stark the difficulty jump at the start of Act 1 Chapter 2 is. Like every individual normal enemy there is more dangerous than that boss we just fought by a WIDE margin, because the game starts getting comfortable being 'Brightly Colored Souls' from this point on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

While Metallia certainly like to swear, and Gig liked to swear, Metallia just comes off as petulant and obnoxious instead of crassly charismatic.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I got the sense that was the intent, to show that Metallia is not just detestable but also immature and trying to put on being an adult when she isn't. Gig was more "Oh god I am so over this poo poo let's DO something" while Metallia gives off "gently caress gently caress gently caress PAY ATTENTION TO ME GODDAMMIT" vibes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Feinne posted:

Also I always forget how loving stark the difficulty jump at the start of Act 1 Chapter 2 is. Like every individual normal enemy there is more dangerous than that boss we just fought by a WIDE margin, because the game starts getting comfortable being 'Brightly Colored Souls' from this point on.

Yeah, that's where I battered my head against for a couple runs before I went back to earlier areas to see what I missed and if uncovering 100% of a map meant anything.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
After the first update I thought the swear jar thing was an exaggeration. Now umm.....

So the swear jar. Are we keeping a running tally of Metallia's foul language? If so, what counts as a swear and what doesn't? Only the censored parts? Should things like "drat" and "hell" be excluded in certain cases? Does "loving bitch" count as two or one?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ramengank posted:

After the first update I thought the swear jar thing was an exaggeration. Now umm.....

So the swear jar. Are we keeping a running tally of Metallia's foul language? If so, what counts as a swear and what doesn't? Only the censored parts? Should things like "drat" and "hell" be excluded in certain cases? Does "loving bitch" count as two or one?

The initial count was just of censored things, we could certainly widen things to more of the awful things that Metallia says.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I just finished the first "real" dungeon, and the cutscene immediately afterward.

Holy poo poo, Metallia. :stare:

e: :stonk:

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 9, 2014

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Seiren posted:

I just finished the first "real" dungeon, and the cutscene immediately afterward.

Holy poo poo, Metallia. :stare:

e: :stonk:

Oh now this has me excited. Can't wait to see how horrible we are. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Honestly the "you're unknowingly doing a bad thing by breaking the pillars" cliche just makes me go "meh", because the actual thing Metallia thinks we're doing by breaking them sounds like a bad thing anyway. We've never been good guys in this story and the game isn't pretending that we are.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Honestly the "you're unknowingly doing a bad thing by breaking the pillars" cliche just makes me go "meh", because the actual thing Metallia thinks we're doing by breaking them sounds like a bad thing anyway. We've never been good guys in this story and the game isn't pretending that we are.

That's also assuming Malia's a reliable source of information. She could be full of poo poo and releasing the pillars could be perfectly safe (well, as safe as causing vast amounts of deadly-toxic swamp mud to spray everywhere is, which is not at all).

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Feinne posted:

That's also assuming Malia's a reliable source of information. She could be full of poo poo and releasing the pillars could be perfectly safe (well, as safe as causing vast amounts of deadly-toxic swamp mud to spray everywhere is, which is not at all).

Heck, the only reason we think the mud is toxic is because Metallia and Arlecchio told us, and they're both pretty drat untrustworthy. We've got precious little information here. (Although yeah, the mud's probably toxic, look at that healthy nuclear glow it has.)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ramengank posted:

Oh now this has me excited. Can't wait to see how horrible we are. :allears:

It was described to me once when I voiced a passing interest in this game, and it was enough to give me pause, in the sense that "I don't actually believe this is in the game, and I don't want to find out" sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
My guess is the pillars are holding back some God-beast that's intent on destroying the planet and you'll end up fighting it. I'd spoiler this, but I'm only guessing because I've seen it done so many times that it's cliche at this point. NIS please prove me wrong here.

I'm also guessing Malia is part of the reason Metallia is bound to swamp/creep and probably sealed her herself. Also guessing she's closely related and Metallia either doesn't know it or won't admit it (I'm getting strong Laharl/MidBoss vibes here)

• Locked thread