Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Arlecchino knows exactly what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hey Feinne, maybe you could hold a thread contest where people try to guess how many swears will be in the swear jar by the end of the game (kinda like the "guess how many jellybeans" contests). Only bleeped words count.

As an aside, Arlecchino sounds like something you'd order at Starbucks.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hey Feinne, maybe you could hold a thread contest where people try to guess how many swears will be in the swear jar by the end of the game (kinda like the "guess how many jellybeans" contests). Only bleeped words count.

As an aside, Arlecchino sounds like something you'd order at Starbucks.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'll sort something out in that regard this week or so. We've got a lot of game to go, and we'll meet at least one other character who will be picking up Metallia's expletives during a chapter where she's not available much so I want to be clear that everyone counts.

The Arlecchino, a beverage known for its trustworthy and reliable flavor. Yes...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah yes, the infamous mouse scene that had absolutely everyone foaming at the mouth when this came out. That's about the one thing I knew about it because drat were people indignant. It's actually rather lame in action. Also there's no way she's really dead because come on. Arleccino's being way too coincidentally specific and there's a bout a half dozen cryptic things she started saying but never finished.

The audio balance is a wee bit skewed towards music I'd say. Maybe lower it a notch or so? It's probably my ears being defective though.
Also you mentioned linking the credits but I don't see them anywhere?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

HGH posted:

Ah yes, the infamous mouse scene that had absolutely everyone foaming at the mouth when this came out. That's about the one thing I knew about it because drat were people indignant. It's actually rather lame in action. Also there's no way she's really dead because come on. Arleccino's being way too coincidentally specific and there's a bout a half dozen cryptic things she started saying but never finished.

The audio balance is a wee bit skewed towards music I'd say. Maybe lower it a notch or so? It's probably my ears being defective though.
Also you mentioned linking the credits but I don't see them anywhere?

Whoops, I totally zoned and didn't upload the last two videos, hold on.

Video- Credits

Watch

Video- Epilogue

Watch

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 11, 2014

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Cooked Auto posted:

or Illuyankas avatar for an even better reaction.

That his was the first response to that update was all too appropriate.

I'm going to vote for Metallia as the Worst Person of the chapter.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I vote Malia, abandoning(and imprisoning) your kids is uncool and then only revealing that you are their mother to try and guilt them into not killing you is also uncool. Also she violated the sanctity of the good will tea.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Definitely everyone.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Ok, what the actual poo poo. Rape by mice isn't a thing that I'd actually think would pop up in a video game in 2014, but here we are. Metallia and the writers as the worst people of the chapter and to be honest, if this is how the rest of the game is gonna be, I might be voting the writers to be the worst people of all time.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zeron posted:

I vote Malia, abandoning(and imprisoning) your kids is uncool and then only revealing that you are their mother to try and guilt them into not killing you is also uncool. Also she violated the sanctity of the good will tea.

Yeah, my vote goes here. Malia's pretty drat evil, and with the limited information I've got here I'm pretty sure everything's her fault.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Feinne posted:

This is really a formality given how few people were in it and what happened but Who was the worst person of Chapter 1?
Malia, because, c'mon, serving poisoned tea just isn't cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well. That was gratuitous.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Metalia probably gets worst person for this chapter. Especially after she knowingly(?) fed her mother to the Hundred Knight. Whether or not it actually was Malia remains to be seen. Just because Arlecchino said those details doesn't mean he's telling the truth.

Malia certainly would get 'dumbest person in chapter 1'. The Hundred Knight was already listening to her, and just because she wanted to talk privately with Metalia/Lia doesn't mean she needed to give poisoned tea. I am wondering if, while she was protector of that Pillar, she couldn't say specific things. It'd be a bit silly, but I can't think of much reason for her to being unable to say things that would be needed to be said. It's still strange though, if that's the case. Since if the pillar prevented her from saying it, it essentially made her unable to protect the pillar from Metalia.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That was a thing. That thing just occured.

Well.

Okay then.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013
Everybody bitching and moaning about the mouse scene.
It's supposed to be horrible, that's the point. and it is supposed to be juvenile because that's a huge staple of Metallia's character.
That teenage "I hate everything and everyone" attitude is a theme of the game (granted I've only seen about half of it.)

Also, this is not quite as evil as the evil path in Soul Nomad, but it's a good start.
That's the game where evil gets really bad, and kinda fun in how hosed up it is.

PS: + 2 to the thread's swear jar.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
It's funny how incredibly silly Metallia's cursing is. She sounds like a thirteen-year-old who is hanging around her older sibling's friends and wants to talk like them.

I hope this is fun to play, Feinne, because so far I'm rolling my eyes hard at the story.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Geomancing posted:

It's funny how incredibly silly Metallia's cursing is. She sounds like a thirteen-year-old who is hanging around her older sibling's friends and wants to talk like them.

I hope this is fun to play, Feinne, because so far I'm rolling my eyes hard at the story.

I'm strongly motivated by how much better the story gets as the game progresses and we are introduced to more characters. All this stuff that's going on right now actually has really good explanations, we're just not aware of them because we're a tiny idiot demon.

This game does a thing where it almost never shows us anything that's not directly from the Hundred Knight's perspective, so when there's scheming and such going on we find out about it when it slaps us in the face. We should also keep in mind that every single person we've met so far is very, very questionably honest.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So, Mallia calls her Lia as well. Arlecchino isn't forgetting her name, is he? He's probably using her real name, and she probably hates it if it came from Malia.

Everyone so far seem rather scummy except maybe Hundred Knight as he doesn't have much choice in following orders.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, for a moment the game fooled me. Metallia not giving a poo poo about Malia being her mother and beating her down was actually enjoyable, because if she really is saying the truth about the mother thing, she deserved it - locking your daughter in a swamp and not even telling her why, then poisoning a poor thing that would have kept listening to you because he's too stupid to act any other way...not gaining a lot of sympathy.

And then Metallia turns her into a mouse, making me wonder if she couldn't bring herself to kill her mother and this is her way to do something evil but not that much. Aaaand then I realize she was honest in the fate worse than death thing by sentencing her to group rape. And the whole thing ends up being really loving awkward, while at the same time not being graphic enough to be considered outright horrible. Still not something I can really agree with, though..

And Arlecchino says he cooked her, though it's pretty blatant he's lying, too much info from someone that wasn't actually there and who clearly isn't as trustworthy as he says he is. Even moreso after that scene where he apparently killed Metallia, though we know she's still alive because of the timer anyways.

Oh, and Metallia is surprisingly cool about the whole dying thing. In fact, considering the "forced to live" line, I have to wonder if she's actually suicidal. Perhaps she sees no value in anyone else's life because she sees no value in life, period? Or maybe this is way too deep for this game and I'm desperately trying to find something to enjoy.

Worst person in the chapter? I won't say everyone, because I actually enjoy Arlecchino's own brand of evil, and the Hundred Knight is too stupid to be considered anything other than innocent. Both witches are horrible people though. Clearly runs in the blood.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm kinda torn between wanting to follow this or just :gonk:ing out and running away.

Still, the basic premise, wherein you are the dinky little familiar of the archetypical morally-bankrupt wizard type, is a neat twist on the usual fantasy formula.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Feinne posted:

I'm strongly motivated by how much better the story gets as the game progresses and we are introduced to more characters. All this stuff that's going on right now actually has really good explanations, we're just not aware of them because we're a tiny idiot demon.

This game does a thing where it almost never shows us anything that's not directly from the Hundred Knight's perspective, so when there's scheming and such going on we find out about it when it slaps us in the face. We should also keep in mind that every single person we've met so far is very, very questionably honest.

See, that's something I like, cause why should we know anything that's actually happening, we're just a henchman after all. I just kinda wish I didn't have to that Metallia did what she did to Malia. Like I'm sure there are other ways to make us understand how rebellious and evil Metallia is that does not involve that implication.

...Although now that I'm thinking about it, Malia is maybe fine, considering that the white robed person might have saved her. Still really doesn't make that event ok.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When we find out what Malia actually did to her, I'll make sure to have a question of the update on how you all feel about what she ended up doing about it. As for me, since I know what brought this on, bitch kind of had it coming.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Feinne posted:

When we find out what Malia actually did to her, I'll make sure to have a question of the update on how you all feel about what she ended up doing about it. As for me, since I know what brought this on, bitch kind of had it coming.

This is making me think the quote "Mommy Dearest" from Metallia was a hint from the writers about what happened.

Mommie Dearest is a story about an actress being horribly abused by her alcoholic adopted mother, including a near strangulation. Seeing the dark stuff that's already happened, I shudder to know what occurred in the past.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... Huh. Okay then.

Malia for worst character of the chapter with her little girl running a close second. Totally-on-the-level-and-not-at-all-suspicious-butler is a distant third.

Also, gonna make a random guess of 666 coins for the swear jar.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
This is the moment when I played this game that sealed my dislike for Metallia as a character. Just watching this happen pretty much turned me off to her as a character and made me not really care what happened to her in the game. However it did make me really like one moment in this game. As for worst character Metallia.

Also has anyone notice a certain aspect of the armors. This aspect not working properly is the reason as to why the game is harder than it is supposed to be.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I had an idea earlier that Malia is an anagram for Lamia; Lamia ate her children. Locking your child in a swamp for eternity isn't quite as bad, though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Swear Jar, just a random guess, 382. Just because Kyogre's on my mind.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
So, that's something. By the by, I'd say Malia partly for the issue of keeping her claimed child in the swamp... but mostly for being such a pain in the rear end boss fight to deal with...

What? I've been waiting to speak on this because knowing the game could accidentally spoil things. Will keep things current.

*tosses a bid for 200 swears in the jar*

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Xenav posted:

So, that's something. By the by, I'd say Malia partly for the issue of keeping her claimed child in the swamp... but mostly for being such a pain in the rear end boss fight to deal with...

What? I've been waiting to speak on this because knowing the game could accidentally spoil things. Will keep things current.

*tosses a bid for 200 swears in the jar*

Yeah Malia's not hard at all but she's a huge irritant to fight, especially if you don't pick up on the fact that she's very vulnerable when she's on her broom.

Chapter 2's bosses are both pretty easy when you understand what they do (I actually never get hit by the first one and could probably pull off not getting hit by the second if I were patient and it was necessary), our first really nasty boss comes at the end of Chapter 3.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Malie, because poisoning tea is just not an acceptable thing, ever.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I... holy poo poo. That scene just went bad and kept getting worse each time Metallia opened her mouth. Definitely worst person of the-- wait.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

This is making me think the quote "Mommy Dearest" from Metallia was a hint from the writers about what happened.

It must've been, that reference kinda stood out. This, combined with what we've already seen of her, convinces me that Malia is the worst person of the chapter (also poisoned tea how dare she).

Bidding 350 swears.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I'm wondering just how much darker the rest of the game is going to be, considering this was just Chapter 1. As for worst character, everyone but the Hundred Knight. Look at how happy he was to drink that tea, how can we say that he's the worst.

Also going to go with 666 swears.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hate everyone involved.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to make a bold prediction and bet on 675 coins for the swear jar.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I'm going to go with a relatively conservative 178 bleeps.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Wow, that credit song reminds me strongly of the NieR soundtrack for some reason. Are any of the same people involved?

I say 430 for the swear jar.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RefinedUndefined posted:

I'll go for the true number of the beast: 449.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
312 swears in the jar Just cause it's the first sufficiently high number to pop in my head.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If we're putting down bids already, I'm going to go with 420 swears, if only because I find it more funny a number than 666.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RefinedUndefined posted:

I'm wondering just how much darker the rest of the game is going to be, considering this was just Chapter 1. As for worst character, everyone but the Hundred Knight. Look at how happy he was to drink that tea, how can we say that he's the worst.

I already guessed 666! :argh:

• Locked thread