Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How did I never play this game? This looks less refined than Dark Souls, but so much harder and more rewarding. Also this LP reminds me of a mix between Ritcheyz and Plague of Gripes' DS LPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
WWWWISE FWOM YOUR GWAAAAAVE and then fall right back into it

Episode 22: Sir Geoffrey Dies on the Stairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9YWEoPJbS8

An inglorious return.

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, cool. Glad to see this is still going!

About the different halberds, I definitely found the one from Dark Souls the nicest to use. The sweet spot thing in Dark Souls 2 made them a little less fun for me. And I didn't like that the main halberd did slashes instead of thrusts. Also, for such an apparently legendary weapon, the Rune Sword doesn't seem to be that powerful. Would that change as it got upgraded or would it still be mediocre compared to similar weapons?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yess this is back!
Sir Geoffrey the most honorable.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the Rune Sword scales mainly on Magic, and I don't recall Geoffrey's Magic stat being particularly high. Then again, I always bulk up Magic and still find the Crescent Falchion a much better weapon, even in 3-3. I also don't use Colorless Demon Souls for much upgrading, though, so upgrading the Rune Sword might make a difference.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

BottledBodhisvata posted:

An inglorious return.

Aww, well, it was a learning experience. Namely, learning that the Rune Sword is absolute garbage if it's not fully upgraded and you're not pumping Magic, heh.

And that was a Crushing Crescent Axe, not a halberd! I guess :black101: meets :eng101:? I was having some fun and going for the closest thing to a Fat Official cosplay I could get. I had Ignite memorized, too, which kind of sucks because in retrospect I could've cheap-shotted you with Flame Toss the second fight when you were swinging Bramd around. :D

But seriously, good to have you back and I'm looking forward to the last few videos!

Nidoking posted:

Then again, I always bulk up Magic and still find the Crescent Falchion a much better weapon, even in 3-3. I also don't use Colorless Demon Souls for much upgrading, though, so upgrading the Rune Sword might make a difference.

The base damage improves a fair bit, but the Rune Sword is never very strong. And you're exactly right, Crescent weapons do better physically, have better Magic scaling, and have a better rider effect (MP regen compared to magic defense).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I intend to do a series on how to beat Dark Souls with no skill whatsoever, someday. It's going to take a lot of time (more than a usual LP) and a lot of editing and probably some extra special stuff. One of the bonuses will be a video on why I don't plan to do the same thing for Demon's Souls. It's the "part 2" video of how to beat Demon's Souls with no skill whatsoever, and it's just going into 4-1 and getting the Crescent Falchion. That's the end of the entire series because once you have the Crescent Falchion, you've won the game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I intend to do a series on how to beat Dark Souls with no skill whatsoever, someday. It's going to take a lot of time (more than a usual LP) and a lot of editing and probably some extra special stuff. One of the bonuses will be a video on why I don't plan to do the same thing for Demon's Souls. It's the "part 2" video of how to beat Demon's Souls with no skill whatsoever, and it's just going into 4-1 and getting the Crescent Falchion. That's the end of the entire series because once you have the Crescent Falchion, you've won the game.

So it's just a tutorial on running through skeletons to get the zweihander then getting enough souls to wield it?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Dabir posted:

So it's just a tutorial on running through skeletons to get the zweihander then getting enough souls to wield it?

I assume it also involves proper application of pyromancy, firebombs and poison knives/arrows.

But this isn't Dark Souls.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

I don't know what any of those things are. I have no skill whatsoever at Dark Souls and the Zweihander is useless to me in every game because it interferes with proper use of a 100% physical defense shield and a weapon with high magic or fire damage and the liberal use of gimmicky spells and miracles. Which is also technically how I play Demon's Souls, and how I would play Dark Souls 2 if I were capable of such a thing, which I'm rapidly proving not to be. Also running past skeletons requires more skill than I expect a player to have. Dealing with skeletons in Demon's Souls involves using a blunt weapon, and I give my viewer the option of using their fist or strapping a spare shield (which you know you have after Boletarian Palace) to their right arm and clubbing skeletons with it. It's surprisingly effective, especially since the ability to parry isn't required for my method and backstabbing skeletons is far more trouble than it's worth. And the Thief's Ring, natch. In Dark Souls, there's effective magic damage without having to see a single skeleton, and that's where we go.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can just sprint past the skeles and grab the sword then die, if you know where it is, which I assume a guide would tell you. 16 strength and 10 dex and the game is your bitch, the wide attack cuts through hordes, the strong attack flattens anything and even makes Black Knights flinch. It's a disgusting crutch and I love it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

You can just sprint past the skeles and grab the sword then die, if you know where it is, which I assume a guide would tell you. 16 strength and 10 dex and the game is your bitch, the wide attack cuts through hordes, the strong attack flattens anything and even makes Black Knights flinch. It's a disgusting crutch and I love it.

Then go ahead and make your own videos. I'm not stopping you if you want to use some "skills" to get an inferior weapon. I'm trying to help people who aren't masters at Dark Souls beat the game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm rubbish at Dark Souls and that's exactly what the zwei is doing.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
From experience, you need a little skill to use the zweihander or any of the greatswords in Souls games. They're just overpowered. Come off it.

See? I was right, lots of items, proper abuse of magic.

Niggurath, if you're having trouble with Dark Souls 2 then I recommend throwing witching urns and poisoned throwing knives around like they're candy.

As far as Demon's Souls goes, I've never managed to get this far without it freezing on a loading screen or trapping me in some hellish perma-death loop, so it's really fun to watch Sir Geoffrey go through this. :allears:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate to update this with bad news, but given my current living situation, I am not capable of recording new episodes for this LP until about October or so. I'm sorry for the disappointment, but I figure at this point I shouldn't be letting this linger without some sort of update.

I do intend to finish this, but at the moment I am unable to. Once October hits, you'll be the first ones to know what's happening!

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011
Ah, it's fine. Life happens, after all. I look forward to this continuing around October, though!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Sir Geoffrey lives forever in the Nexus, he shall emerge again in the fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep, that was a return, alright. I do like seeing in this game how there's a lot of gear that's very upside/downside. Want to resist magic? Great, but you can't cast it. Crazy weapon? Keep an eye on that equip burden.

• Locked thread