Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know that wrestling is a scummy business. However, it's important to recognize that there are good people along with the dicks. Please post people that you like.

I'll start. My favorite person is Jim Cornette. He is a fun guy that tells it like it is. Having grown up in the South, I know tons of people like Cornette and he is endearing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Wife beating aside, Stone Cold Steve Austin is very cool

My friend who works at WWE said the nicest person he's dealt with is Batista

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Bobby Eaton bought clothes, food and hooch for a homeless man that's pretty cool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Big Sexy Kevin (Depeche Mode Fan) (The Best Ever) Nash is the best ever for about a million reasons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jerry Lynn is like the nicest guy.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paul Bearer was far too nice a guy to ever be involved in wrestling. Yet he was and became a legend in the process.

RIP :smith:

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Big Sexy Kevin (Depeche Mode Fan) (The Best Ever) Nash is the best ever for about a million reasons.

For all the crap he gets about "putting himself over" and "holding guys down", he seems to really love his fans and is one of the best guys about appearances and bookings even as he's nearing 60.

I'd nominate DDP, since he seems to be a literal saint at least within wrestling. His entire life now is about trying to make people healthy and help his friends who everyone thought were lost causes. Even his own ex-wife apparently has a cordial relationship with him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Rock

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

The Rock

Possibly the most gracious top guy ever. Puts guys over, is cordial and friendly to people like Curtis Axel, Kevin Steen and Curt Hawkins. Donates tons to charity.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gotta go with Jim Cornette, also. Good handshake.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Paul Bearer, DDP and Kevin Nash, for reasons already stated. Sting seems like one of the few genuinely decent guys, too, though I have taken issue with his more preachy moments.

Triple H, too. For all the poo poo he gets about not being as good a wrestler as he's pushed to be and burying people and whatever, he seems to really give a poo poo about wrestling and, for me, he's been more consistent than anybody else of his generation. A few too-long opening promos aside, he's never failed to entertain me and hold my interest, and from what we hear of him backstage and the way he's running NXT, I'm very happy he will be taking over.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Paul Bearer was far too nice a guy to ever be involved in wrestling. Yet he was and became a legend in the process.

RIP :smith:

He's in heaven cutting promos on the angels :unsmith:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Mannie Fresh posted:

For all the crap he gets about "putting himself over" and "holding guys down", he seems to really love his fans and is one of the best guys about appearances and bookings even as he's nearing 60.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Luigi Thirty posted:

But Eddie Guerrero called him the spawn of satan

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Someone asked him about that picture and fat old broads who think he's God in his youshoot video and his reply was basically "gently caress you, dude, they're my fans, I love them all, who the hell do you think you are to say stuff like that"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

yeah and look where that got him (hell)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

If you felt somebody was trying to gently caress with the livelihood of you and your friends, you might say something similar.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Bruno Sammartino is probably the nicest guy who has ever been the top face of a company.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

achillesforever6 posted:

Bruno Sammartino is probably the nicest guy who has ever been the top face of a company.

But the Rock was the top face at a point too.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

But the Rock was the top face at a point too.

Bruno's finisher was a hug. You don't get nicer than that.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I really like Terry Funk, he seems like a sweet man who I would never want to piss off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really like Terry Funk, he seems like a sweet man who I would never want to piss off.

He spends half his book putting people over and downplaying what he did for wrestling.

I remember Jake Roberts once said that Ricky Steamboat would be embarrassed if he knew how much Jake looked up to him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Beer_Suitcase posted:

His voice does not match how he wrestles

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Smoking Crow posted:

His voice does not match how he wrestles

I love it how on assorted wrasslin podcasts you hear folks do a Terry Funk impersonation that is almost spot on.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Mick Foley

I've always admired him for his work with RAINN.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Mick Foley

This. All the way, this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

mariooncrack posted:

Mick Foley

Mick is up there. Sure, he's a bit of a mark for himself, and he did get creepy about his friendship with some of the Divas, but if that's his worst sins he's easily in the top 2% in this godforsaken business.

Also, Stephanie McMahon. I've heard a bunch of people rave about how sweet she is, and what got me the most in that Connor the Crusher video was how emotional she got.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
My favorites are the ones who loved wrestling growing up, then made it to the top company and seem like they still love it. AJ Lee and The Miz, especially, just seem like they're loving every second they're out there, and AJ in particular is great to her fans on Twitter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Regardless of his shady business practices and booking decisions under Ted Turner, I have to say Eric Bischoff is a lovely man in person. A friend and I met him on the street in LA one night several years ago. We recognized him from across the street, so he made his way over to say hello to us even though he was busy and out with some friends, who he told to wait while he had a conversation with us. He talked to us for several minutes and took pictures with us, and seemed genuinely interested in what we had to say, how long we'd been fans, etc. I don't know what he's like in his personal life otherwise, but he's very outgoing and appreciative to wrestlefans.

\/\/\/I said he was a nice dude, not that he has awesome political opinions. :colbert:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Regardless of his shady business practices and booking decisions under Ted Turner, I have to say Eric Bischoff is a lovely man in person. A friend and I met him on the street in LA one night several years ago. We recognized him from across the street, so he made his way over to say hello to us even though he was busy and out with some friends, who he told to wait while he had a conversation with us. He talked to us for several minutes and took pictures with us, and seemed genuinely interested in what we had to say, how long we'd been fans, etc. I don't know what he's like in his personal life otherwise, but he's very outgoing and appreciative to wrestlefans.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Bret Hart. Despite the relative crazyiness of his family, he seems to have found his peace in the world. He stuck to his guns when he needed to, stood up for himself and was a huge role model to all Canadian wrestling fans. And he found in his heart, along with Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon, to bury the hatchet and not let hatred and anger take over his life.

The Rock, for being total class in an industry known for horrible people.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

The Goog posted:

My favorites are the ones who loved wrestling growing up, then made it to the top company and seem like they still love it. AJ Lee and The Miz, especially, just seem like they're loving every second they're out there, and AJ in particular is great to her fans on Twitter.
Part of my recent fixation on the Divas is down to AJ, Paige and Natalya (and seemingly all of the women in NXT) obviously having been into this since day one. They were always going to be wrestlers, there was never another job for them. That's nice to see anyway, but it's especially important in the Divas division which has so famously be plagued with spectacularly useless models with no prior knowledge of wrestling before being signed.

I think that's why I can't hate The Miz, either. I don't like him, particularly, but he's obviously so happy to be there it's hard to hold anything against him for long.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pressedbunny posted:

Part of my recent fixation on the Divas is down to AJ, Paige and Natalya (and seemingly all of the women in NXT) obviously having been into this since day one. They were always going to be wrestlers, there was never another job for them. That's nice to see anyway, but it's especially important in the Divas division which has so famously be plagued with spectacularly useless models with no prior knowledge of wrestling before being signed.

I think that's why I can't hate The Miz, either. I don't like him, particularly, but he's obviously so happy to be there it's hard to hold anything against him for long.

Miz looked like he was going to cry from joy when he pinned Orton for the belt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Molly Holly. Did missionary work in South America. Sweet as all hell. And whilst it's not my personal cup of tea, I think it was adorable how she stayed a virgin till marriage, and it was cool what she said about it, ("I am a 33 year old virgin who does not want to be a 34 year old virgin." or something better phrased than that.)

Also, if you are a woman in the wrestling industry and New Jack of all people has nothing bad to say about you, you must be pretty loving awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I think the world of the man who rules it, Sid Eudy. So many of the larger-than-life guys from yesteryear turn out to be scummy in some major way like Hogan, Savage and Warrior. Sid was that flavor of wrestler, but he was never really much of a scumbag. His worst offense was stabbing Arn Anderson in a fight with some scissors, though eyewitness accounts claim Arn used the scissors first. Otherwise, his career is filled with all these moments -- inside and outside of the ring -- that paint him as, what one poster best described him as once, a galoot.

- The ridiculous promos.
- poo poo his pants during the main event of Wrestlemania.
- The squeegee fight.
- Had a pet squirrel that died when somebody bet him he couldn't keep it in his pants for more than a minute.
- "22?! OH MAN!"
- That story about him at a horror fest show where despite the people involved explaining that he was in no danger beforehand, Sid still freaked the gently caress out, fought his way out of there and ran off screaming into the night. Someone else can explain this story better than me. I just remember it being the funniest poo poo.
- "I said did you forget your scissors?"
- "Let me do that again." "We're live, pal!"
- "Half the brain that you do! ........."
- "I don't know poo poo, crybaby!"
- Once freaked out because during a segment, Mark Madden referred to him as a "monkey in the middle" on commentary and Sid didn't know the meaning of that expression and thought Madden was actually calling him a monkey.
- Was put into a post-Wrestlemania main event feud with Ultimate Warrior. Only wrestled him twice, both in the same day, then walked out of the company because gently caress that guy.
- Constantly left wrestling to play softball, which is just... what?

He's an adorably simple man who knows how to take a joke, while offsetting his lack of in-ring skill with a cool Brock Samson look and ridiculous charisma. He's apparently really cool to his fans and has taken a stand against anti-gay bullying.

Sid's pretty rad.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Steve Corino. He brings a genuine smile to my face when I listen to his commentary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Speaking of Sid and Warrior. Warrior no showed in Detroit, so they brought Sid in before his televised return. Became a huge Sid fan after that.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gavok posted:

He's apparently really cool to his fans

I love that during his '96-'97 run as the evil Master of the World who wants to murder babyface Shawn Michaels he comes down to the ring and fist bumps the fans and generally just doesn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Miz looked like he was going to cry from joy when he pinned Orton for the belt.

I can't hate Miz after the backstage video of him coming through the curtain and basically being in tears, hugging and thanking everyone.

• Locked thread