Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i have heard that google engineers, despite their pop culture reputation as some kind of super geniuses, are in fact no better than any other engineers and frequently are worse

they certainly dress worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rotor posted:

no sports, no cremnob.

imho both of these should be forum-wide rules (esp. #2)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i have heard that google engineers, despite their pop culture reputation as some kind of super geniuses, are in fact no better than any other engineers and frequently are worse

the only engineers google hires are the ones on their hardware team that design such hits as the nexus

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
hp if something you design kills/maims somebody will you commit seppuku in front of the shrine of your choice just wondering.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

rotor posted:

"restful architecture,"
i had to look this one up

i am a shameful cj

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

"let's offline this until the retrospective"

gonna start using this and see if it catches on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

hp if something you design kills/maims somebody will you commit seppuku in front of the shrine of your choice just wondering.

that'll never happen because i'm competent at my job and can always throw my bosses under the bus

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

rotor posted:

no sports, no cremnob.

confine cremnob to sas?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Citizen Tayne posted:

Standford is okay, but it's no Penn State.

they're way behind on their child rape and coverups of same

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the only engineers google hires are the ones on their hardware team that design such hits as the nexus

ah yes, noted google employees lucky and goldstar

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

they're way behind on their child rape and coverups of same

hey no sports talk

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

ayn rand hand job posted:

hey no sports talk

Take it offline pls

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ayn rand hand job posted:

hey no sports talk

not sure what you consider a sport but I'm sure I don't want to see it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

synchronized 100 meter assfuckin

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

donuts and kolaches today

e: gently caress, thought this was the breakfast thread

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

average uber ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztv4IaOaicI&t=29s

he didn't pay the safe rides fee

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does google design these or do they say vaguely to the oem what they want

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

'make it look a bit like this' *hands over an two gen old iphone*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Munkeymon posted:

confine cremnob to sas?

wrong forum

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

synchronized 100 meter assfuckin

would watch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

would watch

i wanna see nekkid wrestlin as the gods intended

also weiners and boobs floppin around in the hurdles

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wanna see nekkid wrestlin as the gods intended

also weiners and boobs floppin around in the hurdles

they held the naked olympics on baker beach last weekend

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theadder posted:

does google design these or do they say vaguely to the oem what they want

when something is "designed by" a company that is not primarily a product design firm, or "designed by" a celebrity, or whatever, almost invariably it means that an actual design firm was hired to do the work, they came up with half a dozen fully refined concepts, and the client picked one and the firm designed it and stuck the client's logo on it. it's very rare for there to even be involvement on the level of "oh that one, but with more rhinestones and narrower here" -- usually they just are picking from a list. the right to say "designed by" is worked out by the accountants in the initial design contract and that's all there is to it.

i have a friend who worked for motorola back in the razr days and he was telling me about making a phone for kimora lee simmons of baby phat fame. the consultancy came up with ten concepts and brought all the presentation boards over to her mansion. they waited in her living room for an hour while she was off doing whatever it was she was doing. she finally came in with her entourage, looked at my buddy and said "i KNOW you didn't put your jacket on my versace couch" (though, in fact, he had done just this) and then sat down and talked about her new diet for half an hour. then she looked at the boards for about 30 seconds, said "that one" and left again.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

they held the naked olympics on baker beach last weekend

nude san franciscians sounds super gross

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rotor posted:

keeping the fact of your impending death close to you, thinking about it often, helps you focus on the things in life that you really care about. You will die. You just don't know when. Could be 40 years from now, might be tomorrow. Keep that thought close, and think about what you should do.

full communism now

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Uh no ? It's not magic. I know why you might think it is though. Like anything around 50 percent of the people who work in a given industry actually suck at it, don't even understand it and will happily give out vague conflicting thoughts on it that just confuse everyone else ( oh hello every "tech journalist" ever) Amazingly these people can end up getting paid very well just on how authoritatively and passionately they can say the same few key words over and over again with no substantial understanding of what they actually mean or what it takes to make them actually work. ( hey who wants to hear more about the latest paradigm shift in App building with continuous-integration solutions hosted on a distributed non-blocking restful api driven cloud computing implementation leveraging Open-Stack that will help your company be fully Agile !! )

Then maybe around 40 percent are OK and could possibly contribute something of net worth. These people are kept very busy so they have no time to lift their head up and see the bigger picture, let alone have time to blog endlessly about their cute little bespoken fad language projects that help no one but reinvent everything. In other words they are invisible, ignored and given just enough to not risk bankrupting the family they are also trying to take care of by daring to speak back to their boss.

Finally you have the 5-10 percent of people who actually have some level of talent and understanding actually carrying the weight of everyones else's mediocrity to keep momentum going. Unfortunately while this small percentage of people can keep things going they more often than not do have the power to actually fix the deep systemic issues in their companies culture. It's a difficult thing to do when the vast majority of the people you work with do not have the experience and understanding to see these issues, or at least the self awareness they lack the experience to. People just trying to collect their good enough paychecks to keep their family happy don't want to rock the boat anyway. Oh, and speaking of having the power...

Of course you have the MBAs. They get to be huge assholes and take all the money cause gently caress you they went to real business school to learn real business bro. ( they did lots of gay stuff together there too, not that there's anything wrong with that )

TLDR just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it is incomprehensible. While it is understandable you are confused given all the other "Senior Evangelist" blabbering on about their meaningless anecdotal more-privileged-than-they-realize experiences, you are not helping things by just hand waving an entire industry as intangible and unquantifiable. We are more alike than we realize don't you think? ;)

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

haha ha ha i didnt read this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i think we can all learn something from gbs poster neohentaimaster

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

maniacdevnull posted:

nude san franciscians sounds super gross

I can confirm this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that'll never happen because i'm competent at my job and can always throw my bosses under the bus

what if you were tasked with creating a solution to people getting thrown under busses

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

rotor posted:

honestly I'm a little upset that nobody came up with the parody tech bauble thread

i was thinking about it but i can't do ALL the heavy lifting around here GOSH

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

rotor posted:

I can confirm this

i imagine it would depend on what kind

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

what if you were tasked with creating a solution to people getting thrown under busses

get real

there are way too many homeless people just walkin around for that project to get funded

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

when something is "designed by" a company that is not primarily a product design firm, or "designed by" a celebrity, or whatever, almost invariably it means that an actual design firm was hired to do the work, they came up with half a dozen fully refined concepts, and the client picked one and the firm designed it and stuck the client's logo on it. it's very rare for there to even be involvement on the level of "oh that one, but with more rhinestones and narrower here" -- usually they just are picking from a list. the right to say "designed by" is worked out by the accountants in the initial design contract and that's all there is to it.

i have a friend who worked for motorola back in the razr days and he was telling me about making a phone for kimora lee simmons of baby phat fame. the consultancy came up with ten concepts and brought all the presentation boards over to her mansion. they waited in her living room for an hour while she was off doing whatever it was she was doing. she finally came in with her entourage, looked at my buddy and said "i KNOW you didn't put your jacket on my versace couch" (though, in fact, he had done just this) and then sat down and talked about her new diet for half an hour. then she looked at the boards for about 30 seconds, said "that one" and left again.

ya but i wanna know about google specifically they *could* have ppl

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

eat the rich gain their strength and shame

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

theadder posted:

ya but i wanna know about google specifically they *could* have ppl

yeah they have a few electrical and mechanical engineers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mido posted:

eat the rich gain their strength and shame

the rich have no shame

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

the rich have no shame

much like a whipping boy, the rich keep house staff that carry their shame for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

• Locked thread