Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when i take uberx to the airport from my apartment, it's $11, when i take a taxi back from the airport it's like $35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beast of Bourbon posted:

when i take uberx to the airport from my apartment, it's $11, when i take a taxi back from the airport it's like $35.

that's probably because uber isn't paying the airport taxi fee

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

municipal taxi charters are typically negotiated to have an airport fee because the taxi is unlikely to receive a fare at the other end and the trip would be unprofitable for them otherwise

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

municipal taxi charters are typically negotiated to have an airport fee because the taxi is unlikely to receive a fare at the other end and the trip would be unprofitable for them otherwise

I thought that money went to the airport?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my coworkers somehow get the ubers that make them sit up front and hug the driver after they get dropped off so they don't get fined like $1500 or whatever it is for flagrantly violating the jitney cab laws at SFO.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at which end? seems like they're going between the city (lots of fares) and the airport (lots of fares) ?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my coworkers somehow get the ubers that make them sit up front and hug the driver after they get dropped off so they don't get fined like $1500 or whatever it is for flagrantly violating the jitney cab laws at SFO.

lolllll

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ahahahaha this is fantastic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

I thought that money went to the airport?

i thought everyone got a cut? idk it's probably different everywhere

but at any rate they're part of basically every taxi charter yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

at which end? seems like they're going between the city (lots of fares) and the airport (lots of fares) ?

the suburbs (fewer fares than the city) or departure times (fewer fares than arrival times)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i wanna get one of those so when they let me out i just point and scream "UBER DRIVER! UBER DRIVER!"

or be the guy that writes the tickets and book the drivers myself. :getin:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

RZA Encryption posted:

i wanna get one of those so when they let me out i just point and scream "UBER DRIVER! UBER DRIVER!"

could u betray someone u just hugged though?!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ericadia posted:

could u betray someone u just hugged though?!

I could not.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

this but instead find the guys up top and beat them with hammers

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

they're rich, it doesn't count as murder

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
90% of my uber drivers this year have been non-english speaking asian men driving brand new plateless leased camrys, but the name on the thing will be like "Larry" and it has a pic of a white dude with a beard. i assume everything is on the up-and-up because Uber is a good corporate citizen.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

rotor posted:

I hope u guys have paid your safe posting fees

i havent :ohdear:

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Beast of Bourbon posted:

90% of my uber drivers this year have been non-english speaking asian men driving brand new plateless leased camrys, but the name on the thing will be like "Larry" and it has a pic of a white dude with a beard. i assume everything is on the up-and-up because Uber is a good corporate citizen.

Larry isn't even the whitest name I know of

I want to get picked up by an asian guy who claims to be a Braedyn or a Tanner

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

raruler posted:

those names are too white to have ever interacted with asian people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

raruler posted:

larry isn't a white name at all. when was the last time you met a white guy who introduced himself as larry? and sure as hell no white parents are naming their kids larry or lawrence. it's a totally asian name now.

other good asian names: dennis, george, oliver, william (for girls michelle, annie, ellen, jenny)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

larry isn't a white name at all. when was the last time you met a white guy who introduced himself as larry? and sure as hell no white parents are naming their kids larry or lawrence. it's a totally asian name now.

other good asian names: dennis, george, oliver, william (for girls michelle, annie, ellen, jenny)

i like to call him larry fishburne

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Joe Law posted:

so I went to Calhacks this weekend and one of the top 10 was "parcely" an app that let uber drivers also find packages they can deliver on their routes because FedEx and USPS are "too slow and expensive", or if the uber drivers dont have a fair, they can just spend the time delivering packages. it didnt win but people thought this was "disruptive" and generally awesome.

nuke the bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6gtgh3ook

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

rotor posted:

do i just make the check out to "rotor"? also what is the exact amount? i asked lowtax, but he didn't seem to know what i was saying.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

The taxi driver is unlikely to just cave your skull in with a hammer.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

rotor posted:

i like to live dangerously

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
rotor i thought you were daddy warbucks from all that arab money you were making reading best practices bedtime stories to startup founders.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FamDav posted:

rotor i thought you were daddy warbucks from all that arab money you were making reading best practices bedtime stories to startup founders.

man i wish that was actually my job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk maybe i dont, i get a rash when I'm around really privileged young people

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

I'm relieved to hear it's not the other way round

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

idk i think lawrence is a pretty cross-cultural name man

i have known larry's of every color

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

look at this guy who can afford to have kids in the most expensive housing city in america

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look at this guy who can afford to have kids in the most expensive housing city in america

hey I worked really hard for what I haAAAAHAHAHAHAAhahahaahaa ok no I fell rear end backwards into a well paying career lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao

“There is a strong sense of entitlement among some, not all, dog owners that they can run their dogs wherever they want,” said Mike Lynes, who, as the executive director of the Golden Gate Audubon Society, is concerned about the impact of all these dogs on the wild creatures in the parks, not to mention the humans.

“There is a lot of passion about this issue in San Francisco,” said Howard Levitt, the spokesman for the National Park Service here. “Dog conflicts are among the toughest to deal with.”

The statistic is so often repeated that it has become central to San Francisco’s self image: there are more dogs than children in the city.

“I don’t think we’re spoiling our dogs — I think they’re living a wonderful life,” Ms. Walters said. “I mean, we all live here in the Bay Area for a reason. We don’t live in Chicago.”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

less people poo poo on the pavement in Chicago.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is dog conflict similar to crab battle?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what is crab battle, that sounds like something i waould pay money to watch

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Widdiful posted:

haha ha ha i didnt read this

That's what everyone in the GBS thread said too. How can I reach these keeeeeeeeds.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

is dog conflict similar to crab battle?

we'll they've just brought on michael vick as a consultant...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

That's what everyone in the GBS thread said too. How can I reach these keeeeeeeeds.

lmao welcome to yospos, forums poster neohentaimaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

less people poo poo on the pavement in Chicago.

wrongo

• Locked thread