Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my coworkers somehow get the ubers that make them sit up front and hug the driver after they get dropped off so they don't get fined like $1500 or whatever it is for flagrantly violating the jitney cab laws at SFO.

that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

“There is a strong sense of entitlement among some, not all, dog owners that they can run their dogs wherever they want,” said Mike Lynes, who, as the executive director of the Golden Gate Audubon Society, is concerned about the impact of all these dogs on the wild creatures in the parks, not to mention the humans.

“There is a lot of passion about this issue in San Francisco,” said Howard Levitt, the spokesman for the National Park Service here. “Dog conflicts are among the toughest to deal with.”

The statistic is so often repeated that it has become central to San Francisco’s self image: there are more dogs than children in the city.

“I don’t think we’re spoiling our dogs — I think they’re living a wonderful life,” Ms. Walters said. “I mean, we all live here in the Bay Area for a reason. We don’t live in Chicago.”

institute dog taxes imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
irl furious about all the loving dog people in this city

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

search craigslist personals for "knot"

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

every city in america should take the example detroit has set and just have packs of wild dogs roam the streets 24/7

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'd rather "knot," thanks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some guy on craigslist posted:

I'd rather "knot," thanks!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what the gently caress is a "knot" is this even work safe?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
me and the gf make more than 2x the median household income for san francisco county and when our parents ask about kids we just laugh and laugh and laugh

then they suggest we move to a 'nice place, like McKinney, Texas!"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mido posted:

what the gently caress is a "knot" is this even work safe?

no it's knot

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looked this up, what a world!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Ericadia posted:

looked this up, what a world!
amurrrica :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

:agreed:

i tell you you'd think it'd be easy to meet nice girls in this city cause there are so many gay men so the odds are good...but then so many of em are all "oh also i have three giant dogs and THEY ARE MY LIFE" and i'm like noooooooooooo

it's like voluntarily buying a baby, except one that never grows up or learns to talk or stops making GBS threads on things, and also you also can't stay in hotels with it and you don't get any tax benefits.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beast of Bourbon posted:

me and the gf make more than 2x the median household income for san francisco county and when our parents ask about kids we just laugh and laugh and laugh

so you make the same amount as one programmer fresh out of college

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my mother suggesting that we nix denver plans and move to north dakota forever convinced me that parents' end goal is to make their children's lives as miserable as their own

do not succumb to the bait

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

median household income in sf is 55k or something and the starting salary in the bay area for a programmer with no experience actually averages around 80-85k. (neither of those are including benefits)

it's high pay but there's still an experience and seniority scale

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like thinkin back i'm 100% sure that my parents endured a lot of "you should move back up to iron river! you know we're getting a mcdonald's soon" when they were my age and in milwaukee so this is the same thing just kicked up a notch

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

dogs are cool and good

their owners, not as much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

median household income in sf is 55k or something and the starting salary in the bay area for a programmer with no experience actually averages around 80-85k. (neither of those are including benefits)

it's high pay but there's still an experience and seniority scale

based on my buddy's interviewing for finance jobs, sf finance work with a masters pays around $85k with 1-2 years experience

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

my mother suggesting that we nix denver plans and move to north dakota forever convinced me that parents' end goal is to make their children's lives as miserable as their own

do not succumb to the bait

idk man, my parents are like counting the days until they can move into a retirement community. their parents are stubborn as hell and will die before they let someone else mow their lawn or clean their house.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

like thinkin back i'm 100% sure that my parents endured a lot of "you should move back up to iron river! you know we're getting a mcdonald's soon" when they were my age and in milwaukee so this is the same thing just kicked up a notch

my parents have a mother in law suite off of the house they're renovating in nola (which is two blocks from futurewife's mom's house)

that "y'all should totally come and live in once you're done with california"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i straight up told moms in law that i love her to death and have enjoyed our time together but if she wants to see my face again she will be doing so in denver. she understands. super cool lady

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

based on my buddy's interviewing for finance jobs, sf finance work with a masters pays around $85k with 1-2 years experience

this sounds right. accountants make high 60s/low 70s with about the same

how much does being a traffic engineer pay

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

"im a traffic engineer!" - also someone who just plugs network cables into things

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

this sounds right. accountants make high 60s/low 70s with about the same

how much does being a traffic engineer pay

about the same, 85k but closer to 100k if you sign on with the really big firms (that want you to work unpaid overtime)

tho if you get one of the clutch municipal jobs with the wealthier cities you can make bank

mountain view had an assistant transportation engineer position advertised a couple months ago - $108k for one year contract (you interview for the job every year) with 2 years experience needed and would be advertising the position for the next 5 weeks or until they received 150 applications - i applied the first day and within 24 hours applications closed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

That's what everyone in the GBS thread said too. How can I reach these keeeeeeeeds.

jesus loving christ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rotor. please cut back on this tech bubble thread

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

:agreed:

i tell you you'd think it'd be easy to meet nice girls in this city cause there are so many gay men so the odds are good...but then so many of em are all "oh also i have three giant dogs and THEY ARE MY LIFE" and i'm like noooooooooooo

it's like voluntarily buying a baby, except one that never grows up or learns to talk or stops making GBS threads on things, and also you also can't stay in hotels with it and you don't get any tax benefits.

yeah dogs are terrible pets, esp if u ever want to go in vacation or anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my grandma still fairly regularly tells my dad "you should move back to $HOMETOWN and start up a practice here". dad has been in the same city for the last 35 years, married, had two kids, widowed, has had a practice in the same building since 1990, etc

6 years from retirement is a good time to pick up and move your life and career yea?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

but my fat little puppy loves to run on the beach and bark at the seagulls

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

dogs are a lot like boats in that it's great to know a friend with one so you can pet it and take it on walks (ok, not a perfect analogy) but not deal with the maintenance

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's ok to have a dog when you have a couple of kids starting school b/c you're pretty stuck wherever you live, the kids get to learn about taking care of a dependent being that gives nothing back to you and also a number of years later about death, and lol you aren't going on any loving trips anyway

no more dogs and none when you're a couple. that's weird.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

it's ok to have a dog when you have a couple of kids starting school b/c you're pretty stuck wherever you live, the kids get to learn about taking care of a dependent being that gives nothing back to you and also a number of years later about death, and lol you aren't going on any loving trips anyway

there was this weird couple that came into the computer shop once years ago, and they weren't related, but they obviously married the gender-swapped versions of themselves, they could have been siblings. they were weird and new yorky and when i booted their pc i saw the wallpaper of them and their 3 pugs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

literally had people tell me "we're having a dog"

have not been invited to a puppy shower yet but now that I've typed those words it's guaranteed to happen

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

there was this weird couple that came into the computer shop once years ago, and they weren't related, but they obviously married the gender-swapped versions of themselves, they could have been siblings. they were weird and new yorky and when i booted their pc i saw the wallpaper of them and their 3 pugs

can it be that there was a time before anime wallpapers became the signal??

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

about the same, 85k but closer to 100k if you sign on with the really big firms (that want you to work unpaid overtime)

tho if you get one of the clutch municipal jobs with the wealthier cities you can make bank

mountain view had an assistant transportation engineer position advertised a couple months ago - $108k for one year contract (you interview for the job every year) with 2 years experience needed and would be advertising the position for the next 5 weeks or until they received 150 applications - i applied the first day and within 24 hours applications closed

lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, my girlfriend wants a giant dog (literally "the biggest dog we can find") once we're all out of school but i'm going to try to delay that as much as possible because i'll end up cleaning and walking it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dogs are good pets and it's okay for people to own a dog or two at all stages of life if they can take care of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

computer parts posted:

yeah, my girlfriend wants a giant dog (literally "the biggest dog we can find") once we're all out of school but i'm going to try to delay that as much as possible because i'll end up cleaning and walking it

i want something that eats like a horse that i cant ride, that takes up my time but scares all my friends, then dies in five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

great danes are super chill dogs the only problems with them are the giant dumps and the fact that you're lucky if they last 9 years

• Locked thread