Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Games

Today in Baseball History
  • 1921 - In the first one-city World Series since 1906, the Polo Grounds is the site for all nine games. Carl Mays (27-9) needs 86 pitches to set the Giants down on five hits -- four of them by Frank Frisch. Babe Ruth drives in the first run of the Series in the opening inning of the 3-0 Yankees win.
  • 1941 - With two outs in the ninth inning of Game Four, Dodgers catcher Mickey Owen drops a third strike on Tommy Henrich, which would have given Brooklyn a 4-3 victory over New York. The Yankees then rally for a 7-4 win to take a 3-1 World Series lead.
  • 1942 - Whitey Kurowski's two-run home run in the ninth inning of Game Five gives St. Louis a 4-2 win to capture the World Series over the Yankees.
  • 1960 - In Game 1 of the World Series, Bill Mazeroski hits a two-run fifth-inning home run off Jim Coates beat the New York Yankees 6-4 to rally the Pittsburgh Pirates to their first World Series game win since 1925.
  • 1966 - With first-inning home runs by Frank Robinson and Brooks Robinson and 11 strikeouts from relief pitcher Moe Drabowsky, the Orioles win their first World Series game, 5-2.
  • 1971 - The Orioles overcome two Reggie Jackson home runs to complete a sweep of Oakland in the ALCS with a 5-3 victory.
  • 1979 - The Pirates complete a sweep of the NLCS, beating the Reds, 7-1. Willie Stargell, who homers, is named series MVP.
  • 1996 - Bernie Williams homered from each side of the plate and Cecil Fielder broke a tie with a seventh-inning single as the New York Yankees beat Texas, 6-4, to win the AL division series, 3-1, and advance to the ALCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Let's have another 18 inning game

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Why would you want to watch 18 innings again?

Let's make it 19. :getin:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Why would you want to watch 18 innings again?

Let's make it 19. :getin:

Have the first game after after the second. :getin:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TIGERS
2B Ian Kinsler
RF Torii Hunter
1B Miguel Cabrera
DH Victor Martinez
LF J.D. Martinez
C Alex Avila
3B Nick Castellanos
SS Andrew Romine
CF Don Kelly <------- vice Davis
SP: David Price

ORIOLES
RF Nick Markakis
1B Steve Pearce
CF Adam Jones
DH Nelson Cruz
LF Delmon Young <------- vice Defense
SS J.J. Hardy
C Nick Hundley
3B Ryan Flaherty
2B Jonathan Schoop
SP: Bud Norris

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going with Delmon Young's defense over Nelson Cruz? :laffo:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Have the first game after after the second. :getin:

You're a mad man and I love it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Going with Delmon Young's defense over Nelson Cruz? :laffo:

No one has ever said that Buck Showalter was a genius

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

That 18 inning game rocked me. I just finished an 18 mile hike, got to my friend's house at the bottom of the 8th, cracked open a beer and watched the Giants play an entire game of extra innings. What a day. And then in the 18th I said to my friend, "Belt hasn't really been hitting since he got that concussion. He's due for a homerun" and then things got even better

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
:sweep: Let's go O's! :sweep:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Did that graphic just say Detroit bullpen has allowed 6 out of 5 inherited runners to score? what?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Did that graphic just say Detroit bullpen has allowed 6 out of 5 inherited runners to score? what?

I think it's was indicating the other way around.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Would you really be surprised if that was somehow the case?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

drat, there are a gently caress ton of empty seats there.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Quite a number of people are still at the Lions game across the street.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Apparently everyone is at the Bears game

plasticowlmachine
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Simultaneous Lions game

EDIT: beaten

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man, it's a shame the SAVE IT, NED avatar is going to lose out when the Royals advance and the Tigers don't. That avatar was great.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Quite a number of people are still at the Lions game across the street.

armoredgorilla posted:

Apparently everyone is at the Bears game

plasticowlmachine posted:

Simultaneous Lions game

EDIT: beaten

Still, it's an elimination game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Lions, Tigers, Bears ...

Whatever.

plasticowlmachine
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Still, it's an elimination game.

After the previous two games, I sympathize.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Buck, you fool! The Tigers aren't the Cardinals and don't even have any ex-Cardinals in their lineup! Bud Norris is powerless!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
This is going to keep coming up so:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Ugh look at that absurdist baby park.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Before they moved the left field fence in, it really was a ridiculously large outfield. Of course that was 10 years ago, but for some reason people still think of it that way. It's still a huge difference in center field territory between the two stadiums

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
This should be posted again because it owns:

Go O's, go Royals. We need a hero from the AL to do battle against the current evil state of the NL playoffs.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Also, Castellanos is the worst third baseman since Ryan Braun.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

hahah "It's like this crowd is waiting for something bad to happen."

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Gonna get me an MLB cowboy hat.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Haha "Young wrestling with an alligator down there."

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

hahah Delmon

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

the popes toes posted:

hahah "It's like this crowd is waiting for something bad to happen."

he's right

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I don't know, he might be safe.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ho boy

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

YES THE SQUEEZE IS GOOD I LOVE THE ROYALS

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Haha, wow, so close

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Holy poo poo. The more I saw of it the more convinced he was safe.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

This is your punishment for bunting in the AL. It's only ok for the Royals.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I thought he was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

wow

• Locked thread