Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

:siren::siren:Premieres Monday, October 13th at 9pm:siren::siren:

Aatrek posted:

I was truly disappointed when I realized that this wasn't your average CW show; quite strange to see a CW show that doesn't have teens. The show's title appealed to me, but it appears I've had a bit of a misconception.

What is this show about?

Jane the Virgin is comedy series loosely based on a Venezuelan soap opera named Juana la Virgen. The best way to describe it is by calling it the more handsome, devilishly funny twin brother of the original soap opera, whose English is much better yet still has that sexy Latin accent. It's about a young (but not that young) conservative woman who spends her life conserving her virginity, waiting until marriage. However, during a routine pap smear, a careless OB/GYN artificially inseminates her, mistaking Jane for another patient. Even worse, she learns that the sperm sample belongs to an old highschool crush. This ironic twist of fate leads Jane through a tumult of emotions, created as she navigates through new complications forced on her work and life. Unlike other CW shows, Jane is not a teenager, nor is the show advocated to a teenage audience. This isn't that Secret Life of an American Teenager bullshit. Jane is not another teen pregnancy statistic, merely a mature victim of the coincidence-driven world that is magical realism.

Aatrek posted:

This is a lovely OP.

Shut the gently caress up Aatrek, get the gently caress out of my thread. :argh:

Cast:

Produced by:
- Jennie Snyder Urman (Gilmore Girls, 90210, Emily Owens M.D.)
- Ben Silverman (Ugly Betty, The Office)

Actors:

Gina Rodriguez as Jane, a religious young Latina woman who becomes accidentally artificially inseminated. (Interstate, The Bold and the Beautiful)

Justin Baldoni as Rafael, the hotel owner and the biological father of Jane's unborn child. (Happy Endings)

Brett Dier as Michael, Jane's detective boyfriend. Why is detective important to say? Who the gently caress knows? (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Pretty Little Liars)

Andrea Navedo as Xiomara, Jane's mother. (One Life to Live, Remember Me)

Yael Grobglas as Petra, Rafael's scheming wife. What is she scheming? Why is she scheming? I don't know, IMDB is really vague. (Reign)

Ivonne Coll as Alba, Jane's grandmother. Who you wanna call? Ghostbusters! (The Godfather, Part II)

Jaime Camil as Rogelio, some mexican guy whose background IMDB didn't bother to explain. (mexican poo poo)

Why Should I Watch This Show?

Do you like Drama? Do you like Comedy? Do you like shows that can balance the two genres and present a plot that moves at breakneck speed, and still make you crack a rib laughing? Get that rib checked out after you watch the show. Critics are raving about this show being the best comedy to come out this year, and the CW has already ordered additional episodes, before the series has even begun. Plus it's filmed and set in the exotic locale of Miami, a beautiful city that everyone should visit. In fact, I'm writing this sentence in a hotel in Miami, seriously. Guess why I'm here? No, I'm not here to have sex. Apparently, my girlfriend wants to wait until marriage too, goddamnit. She is also over 18, aatrek.

Aatrek posted:

Goddamnit.

[Banned From This Thread]:
  • Rocksicles

Ravane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't plan on watching this show, but I approve of this OP.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aatrek jokes, fresh.

I wonder if they'll have some explanation for why this will not be a show about Jane and her family living off the millions they get from suing her OB/GYN into the ground for malpractice.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This OP is excellent, and thanks to both it and the positive reaction about the show so far I'm gonna give it at least an episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is the ad that I see for Jane the Virgin on the subway, so I think it's important to point out that she's not actually a teenager.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 6, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Aatrek jokes, fresh.

I wonder if they'll have some explanation for why this will not be a show about Jane and her family living off the millions they get from suing her OB/GYN into the ground for malpractice.

I'm sure they'll mention it, then again, latino immigrants are some the least likely to engage in class action lawsuits. I dont know what I just said but it's probably true.

Also, gently caress. I didnt realize that the Flash did premiere first. Now my title makes no sense.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 12, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

raditts posted:

Aatrek jokes, fresh.

Yep, unless they mention this on the first episode it's gonna bother me too much to keep watching.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm down for an episode. It looks kind of like a Switched at Birth type show, or maybe I think that because the grandma was in that too. Also Jane is super cute.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, it's this show, the one that I heard about and thought "what the gently caress". I'll give it a shot out of curiosity.

Also, good OP.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Can not wait for the premiere.

e: I enjoyed it, it's nice to have something silly and soapy compared to all of the other darker shows that I watched.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I didn't watch the episode yet, but I'm interested to hear how much the hospital settled the malpractice lawsuit for?

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm down for an episode. It looks kind of like a Switched at Birth type show, or maybe I think that because the grandma was in that too. Also Jane is super cute.
Yeah, but Switched at Birth is good for reasons that have nothing to do with the outlandish premise.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That was pretty fun, nice and light but obviously with a lot of meat on it if the first episode is anything to go by. It's not overly saccharine; just charming enough. Also I can remember most of the cast by name so that's pretty much a step up from most other shows I've watched this season.

JohnSherman posted:

I didn't watch the episode yet, but I'm interested to hear how much the hospital settled the malpractice lawsuit for?
Not in the pilot but the preview for the season makes it sound like it's a subplot they'll be addressing. They do mention it once or twice during the pilot though that they should sue, but I feel like you need to see the order of events of the whole thing play out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awful, terrible, ridiculous, soppy, shite.

Your man in his hilariously tight see through pants.
:smithicide:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I liked it. The character introductions reminded me of Amelie. I'll watch it again.

Also, thanks show, for making me afraid of pap smears.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Is she keeping the baby because she's catholic? Gonna check in on this thread periodically to see when they finally sue the hospital.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Awful, terrible, ridiculous, soppy, shite.

Your man in his hilariously tight see through pants.
:smithicide:

Rocksicles, I would rather have Aatrek in my thread than you. Get the gently caress out. :argh:

I thought the pilot was pretty decent. It felt a bit slow, but I guess that was because it was still setting everything up. I think I came into it thinking it would be like a sitcom, but really it's nothing like that. It's more of a drama than a comedy, though it is still funny. It's certainly entertaining and I enjoy the pokes at spanish soap operas.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh alright... so just good positive comments then?

Gimme a break.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought it was good, though I was playing my gameboy and missed all the subtitles. Hopefully they lean heavily on the comedy aspect because I don't think I could stomach a straight up drama with this premise.

Ravane posted:

Rocksicles, I would rather have Aatrek in my thread than you. Get the gently caress out. :argh:

Being OP has made you mad with power!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Oh alright... so just good positive comments then?

Gimme a break.

No it's not that. I just specifically do not like you and it's in my power as OP to banish you from this thread! :argh:

Irish Joe posted:

I thought it was good, though I was playing my gameboy and missed all the subtitles. Hopefully they lean heavily on the comedy aspect because I don't think I could stomach a straight up drama with this premise.

Being OP has made you mad with power! :slick:

I found a lot of the jokes were subtle jabs at spanish soap operas, pointing out how ridiculousness they are, but also using them to demonstrate how comedic they can be. It definitely won't be a straight-up drama, but it feels like they're leaning more on the side of drama while throwing in bits and scraps of humor.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's a little uncalled for Ravane, when have i ever had beef with you?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

No it's not that. I just specifically do not like you and it's in my power as OP to banish you from this thread! :argh:

Calm down cowboy. That's not how things work around here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have zero interest in this show after episode 1, but i would like to know what i've done to upset Ravane. i don't come here for conflict.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Calm down cowboy. That's not how things work around here.

This is a telenovella thread, I need drama to spice up the action. :cheeky:

Rocksicles posted:

I have zero interest in this show after episode 1, but i would like to know what i've done to upset Ravane. i don't come here for conflict.

We have beef from your dumb antics in the 100 thread. Thus, having you here does not bode well for me. My magical OP powers don't work having someone so negative around these parts. Thus I banish you from this thread. :smuggo:

But I will say this. You can earn your way back into my good graces if you watch episode two of Jane the Virgin. You don't have to like it, but you should give it a chance. The pilot is not always the best indicator of how a show can be. Sometimes it takes a few episodes for a show to get good.

You don't have to watch it or give it a shot, especially if you hated it that much. But calling it horrible poo poo? You didn't even explain why you thought it was horrible. Is it a ridiculous plot? Absolutely, because it's making fun of Spanish Soap Operas which are full of ridiculous plots. If you've ever heard of the genre Magical Realism, a genre basically pioneered by Hispanics, ie House of Spirits, The Kingdom of this World, etc, you realize the cultural context of the show. If you don't find it believable, that's because you're not supposed to find it believable. It's not a show about realism, it's show about coincidence and fate. That's what makes it funny. That's why the show Jane has been watching for a long time, whose main character inadvertently becomes a guide for helping her choose whether or not she want to have this baby, ends up actually being her father. And that's hilarious in context.

You don't have to like it, but the production quality is certainly not poo poo or terrible. I bid you good day sir.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If i upset you 5 months ago, with some thread banter. I'm sorry. I was probably baked.

Humour is subjective yeah, no need for grudges.

Show's for women, no insult meant. It's geared for it like Gossip GIrl or Carrie Diaries. But even for CW it's WAYYYYYYYYYYYY over the top. It's trying to be unironically as ridiculous the Tele Novellas in the show.

My review stands.

Captain tight pants was hilarious, you gotta admit
I don't hate watch, so your thread is safe.

See you next week in The 100 thread but... :australia:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Dude I was just joking. There's no reasom to apologize. Dont be so serious haha.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
awesome, your thread is wack and the show is poo poo though

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The Main Without a Face and a death in the second episode. Awesome!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I was loving this episode, but, jesus, that ending made me laugh at how absurd telenovellas are.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
This is much more of a black comedy than I expected it to be, and I think I like it more because of that. I look forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
This episode introduced pretty much everything people wanted to see in this thread. This show has already met my expectations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Full season order just arrived!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Just watched the first two episodes, and it's everything I could ever want and I love it.

I look forward to more ridiculous plot development. :allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

That was a great episode, it's hitting those early Ugly Betty spots that I miss.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I watched this show because I needed background noise while doing homework, unfortunately I got sucked in. This show is amazing. I love how casual the Dr refers to Jane as the girl who's suing me for accidently artificially inseminating her.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 28, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
This is just an incredible show.

Everything surrounding the El Presidente (or whatever his name is) is comedy gold!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
El Presidente is amazing.

I loved that they ended it with "Two fireflies were hurt in the making of this episode."

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I love that Abuela's gift package came with THREE headshots.

El Presidente is the best.

Also calling that the man without a face is Petra's mother.

radlum
May 13, 2013
When I was a kid we only had one TV, so I had to watch Mexican telenovelas with my mom if I didn't want to be alone, so the telenovela antics of this series brings me back. I mean, the actor that plays El Presidente has been in some telenovelas that I've watched, including the Mexican version of Ugly Betty.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Ravane posted:

El Presidente is amazing.

I loved that they ended it with "Two fireflies were hurt in the making of this episode."

I thought it was "No" instead of "two"

Echoing almost everyone else in the thread that yeah, this is a pretty entertaining show. Definitely gets a Season Pass from me.

Edit: Is Xiomara being pronounced "Zee-oh-mara"? I can't tell, but the only X names I've known were either with an H or an S sound, not a Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I thought it was "No" instead of "two"

Echoing almost everyone else in the thread that yeah, this is a pretty entertaining show. Definitely gets a Season Pass from me.

Edit: Is Xiomara being pronounced "Zee-oh-mara"? I can't tell, but the only X names I've known were either with an H or an S sound, not a Z.

Going by most of what I can find online it has an S sound. Some places said Z sound. So maybe it's one of those subtle mixes of both sounds.

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/xiomara

On one website I saw, a woman who has this name says she tells people to pronounce it like "the animal seal...mada"

So I guess it's more of an S sound

• Locked thread