Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh. Sara's death was so crappy. I don't think there's a single aspect of it that wasn't atrociously-executed. I knew it was gonna happen eventually, and I even saw it coming in the episode. But once it actually happened I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

And I'm sure it's gonna lead to some great stories in the future, just like many other fridgings do, and be incredibly moving for the remaining characters, particularly Laurel. And just like many other fridgings we'll all go "Ah, see, it led to good stories so it's totes good! All is forgiven!" And on and on the fridge cycle goes.

Other downside of the episode: the Hong Kong flashback was silly from beginning to end, and not in a good silly way, more like in a "this is really dumb" silly way.

Upsides: Arrow continues to salvage lame unsalvagable DC characters, 'cuz Ray Palmer was brilliant. Well...he was pretty much Ray in name only and Ted Kord completely in spirit, so that explains a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

The term fridging as I understand it means a female character killed solely for the drama of a male character (usually a girlfriend of the hero). Moira and Shado both qualify for this but we can't count Sara yet because we have no idea why she was killed. It was just a stinger for a mystery at the end of the episode.

If she was killed because of her affiliation with the league of assassins then that isn't fridging, its what happens when you join a group of people who kill other people. If it was just a move to dick over Oliver then it was a fridging.
I don't want to get too deeply into this because I'm sure I've already exceeded the upper limit of talking about this specific topic on this forum, but that's really only one part of fridging; it's really a mix of death, disempowerment, and gratuity. The original Women in Refrigerators website that Gail Simone started, for instance, didn't just list off girlfriend that got killed to make their boyfriends sad; it was a list of all female characters in comics that got somehow shuffled off the stage by way of death or disempowerment, as an examination of why there were so few active, powerful female superheroes that writers could write about, thereby examining the difference between how female characters were treated in those instances versus male characters in comparable situations.

We can see the trend playing out throughout Arrow itself. Of all the important main characters killed off through the series, we got Tommy and possibly Yao Fei on one end, and Shado, Moira, and now Sara on the other. Tommy and Yao Fei was were fridged, that's true, but Tommy in particular got fridged like a champ, performing self-sacrificing feats of heroism to save the woman he loves; the guy who was physically unimpressive, who never showed any particularly heroic attributes, goes out in a spectacular feat of masculinity, showing that even the weakest men are prone to great strength. Moira, Shado, and Sara got no grand virtuous finales; they got victimized and tied up and tossed off a building. Three of the deadliest women on the show, two of them stalwart heroes, are helpless to stop the bad guys from killing them, showing that even the strongest women (and Yao Fei, I suppose) are ultimately powerless when all is said and done.

It's a trend that pops up over and over again through media.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wait a sec...

Didn't Sara give her jacket to Laurel five months ago? She went out and bought a new, identical one?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

You've never bought the same kind of shirt more than once?
Of course not, I'm not an animal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It can be a very pro-feminist show and still have problematic sexist trends.

It can do a whole lot of things right and still not do everything right.

It can show how far we've come and still show how far we've yet to go.

These are not complicated, mutually-exclusive concepts. And it applies to every show, not just Arrow.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

Honestly, I'm so tired of this term. It's watered down to the point of uselessness. Every time a female character dies in a show with a male main character, they've now been fridged. Why doesn't this apply to male characters that die solely to motivate or move the main male character's story forward?

Some characters exist to die. That term is overused and misused way too much, and it honestly should be unisex.
If you're tired of the term imagine how tired people are of seeing it happen.

As I've said, fridging has never completely just been about characters dying to motivate other characters. The original source of the term doesn't even mention that aspect at all. As far as I can tell, that narrow "dying to motivate others" definition has been constructed and utilized mostly by people trying to downplay the trend.

And as I've also said, Tommy did get fridged, but the context and depiction of his death is completely different from Sara's. Tommy's death makes him look better. Sara's death makes her look powerless.

Would Sara's death have been better if she had gone out in a blaze of heroic glory instead of being disempowered and punk'd for shock value? Who knows, because it didn't happen...as it rarely ever does when it comes to female character deaths, which have a habit of being ignominious and violently gratuitous.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wouldn't Sara know Merlyn because Oliver, Tommy, and Laurel were all friends so she'd probably know Tommy's dad? Heck, didn't she mention Malcolm Merlyn by name at some points? I'm sure she'd recognize him.

(Not that it's going to end up being him)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think Detective Captain Lance explicitly says five months have passed since the attack, and Arrow tries to hew pretty hard to real world timelines anyway. Harbinger must've been four months pregnant at the time, then.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Laurel/Tommy/Oliver death-triangle of CW doom does get pretty grating after a while too. Whenever I recommend this show to people, that specific love triangle tends to be the thing they complain about most.

"Does this crap ever end??" they demand of me.

"Oh does it ever," I reply.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Skinny legs are faithful depictions of real life canaries.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pretty sure Sara would've been like "Yeah, do it, kill his rear end. Avenge meeee"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Reading some reviews of the episode, it's bizarre how a lot of reviewers just didn't seem to cognitively grasp that the reason Laurel didn't tell her dad about Sara was because his medication beeper went off and it reminded Laurel that his heart could explode in her face like an overripe grapefruit if she told him.

I mean, we complain about so many TV shows lacking subtlety, but apparently it really does just fly over a lot of viewers' heads when shows do try to do something nuanced with characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cirofren posted:

Could you link a review or two? It is truly bizarre if reviewers missed it because it wasn't subtle at all and is practically a trope.
The comicsalliance recap and TheBacklot recap (note: rampant gaiety) both completely gloss over the detail, the former of which outright suggesting that she kept it from him for another reason entirely.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"Not here."

[walks ten feet away and explains]

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha this Felicity scene is amazing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh Laurel.

You tried.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He knows how to do exactly one single thing but he does it well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I love this fat baby.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The OMAC Project could tie into the ongoing ARGUS plotline pretty easily. And if they go with the "nanotech" version of OMAC (Ray Palmer hurr hurrr), it wouldn't be too hard to depict onscreen either.

This episode was honestly kind of jumpy and disconnected (one scene went from Oliver talking to Thea to Oliver on a stakeout with Diggle with no preamble whatsoever) but I liked all the things that happened in all those disconnected scenes, so that's great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One possible reason the overall plot seems to be moving faster is that we've removed Slade, Shado, and Moira's character arcs from the list of boxes to check off. With a couple less balls to juggle every week, other balls can be...uh, juggled more.

edit: Oh man, I can't believe I missed the Tom Bronson name drop. Well, he'll probably end up being just be a name drop and not Ted Grant's bastard child, unless Laurel was trying to prosecute a toddler.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 23, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I kind of hope they make Roy more and more oblivious about things as we go along. It'd give him more of a purpose in the show than to make angsty eyebrow expressions at everything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And so the cycle is renewed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, I used to just sigh and shake my head whenever people brought up the possibility of Diggle eventually becoming the Green Lantern of this TV universe.

But the more we roll along, the less utterly batshit impossible that sounds.

Because if they want to establish an iconic GL + GA + Flash teamup, they literally already have all the potential pieces on the board.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I imagine that her tank top says "poo poo poo poo poo poo," encompassing her current mood.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well it's starting right now on my livestream soooo v:shobon:v

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oliver, if the trail has gone cold then you can't also have leads at the same time, that's not how...oh, never mind.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

C'mon Dig, you need a costume too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

NINJA VANISH

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

On the one hand it's kinda unfair for Laurel to be all on Oliver's jock about putting down Merlyn considering that's exactly what he did two years ago.

On the other hand he really needs to stop pulling the "What would Sara do" card because it's hellsa dumb. Sara would kill Merlyn in an instant and take selfies on his corpse.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think it's safe to assume that Ra's really did kill Sara and try to pin in on Merlyn, just because he thought she was beneath Nyssa, and I actually like that idea. It hearkens to some of comic Ra's's relationship with Talia.

Boogaleeboo posted:

What exactly did you think all Arabian people look like? 'cuuuuuuuuuse some of them look a lot like Matt Nable.
I don't care how PC or un-PC or PC-adjacent this sounds, but if the first person you think of when I mention an Arabian man from the ancient Middle-east is Matt Nable, I'ma call you a lyin' ho. :buddy:

They had the opportunity to cast a person of color for this incredibly important role, and they just went with the same ol' safe ol' Englishy-sounding white dude. It's fine if you don't think them doing that is a big stinking deal, but don't be like "No but see, they were just being more tolerant!!" about it, 'cuz they weren't.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It has loads of negative connotations that, strangely-enough, TV shows like Arrow don't seem to have any problems braving when we're talking about villainous henchmen and two-bit redshirts, like the guys who appeared to capture Sara last season, from the same exact league as Ra's. How much are we willing to bet that most of Ra's' attendants and minions will be something other than white? Even Katrina Law herself is biracial. But you see, now that we're talking about an important, iconic, fan-favorite villain with greater repercussions for the story, oh dear, that's when casting magically becomes sensitive to racial stigma.

*shrug* Heard it all before.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The first member of the League we actually saw, who Sara killed, was Asian. Just to be clear.

I assume you're as against Amanda Waller being black as you are against Ra's being depicted as Middle-Eastern.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 30, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm against her being thin and young, but it's the CW. It's nice to know you have problems with black people too though.
I was thinking about how I should possibly respond to this bizarre statement when, purely on a whim, I decided to look at your rap sheet.

And I decided to let that be response enough.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But superheroes absolutely should turn criminals in to the authorities. Malcolm is all "Teehee I'm a ninja, I'll just escape any prison they throw me in" um not if they strap you into the electric chair, you won't. Didn't Moira face the death penalty for being merely complicit in Malcolm's undertaking? And if we don't trust Starling prisons to hold him, I'm sure Waller's not going to shed rivers of tears over legally executing someone if she got her hands on them.

I like that Malcolm's around, but I really hope they won't resort to nonsensical Comic Book Recurring Villain Logic to keep him around. That's one of the main drawbacks of having a recurring villain in comic books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

By the by, the extended preview for the next episode lends a great deal of credence to Brother Eye/OMAC virus speculation. :catstare:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nothing teaches better than 1) dead family members and 2) experience. Just keep tossing Laurel into fights she can't win through the rest of the season, that'll work out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Not a fan of Neil Gaiman I see.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 1, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's called an in-joke. The only point is that literally every comic reader will look at her outfit and think "Lol, she's dressed as Death."

That's it. That's the entire point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It is a little unclear who or what exactly Oliver has been fighting against ever since he beat Slade. What even is the Arrow's goal anymore? To just arrest two-bit hoodlums forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Impossible.

• Locked thread