Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Started watching this show along with The Flash a couple of weeks ago and just caught up. My general thoughts:

- Felicity is the best
- Laurel is the worst (though seems to be improving)
- Sara was awesome and I hate the writers for killing her off
- Oliver being terrible with women is hilariously ironic
- The crossovers were epic
- I still haven't warmed up to Roy, he just seems like a much weaker version of Arrow and is not super useful (hopefully he develops some unique abilities/skills soon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Malcolm suggested "Green Arrow" and Ollie said that sounded ridiculous.

Ollie thinks everything sounds ridiculous, though.

I personally liked "Arrow Cave."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Surprise, Arrow is actually in the Fallout universe!

Arrow... Arrow never changes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Senerio posted:

It's an imperfect reconstruction of Partial DNA. Still sticking to my Thea theory until they show the exact name and face of the killer and/or Thea at that exact moment in Corto Maltese

What motivation would Thea have for murdering Sara?

The LoA planting the DNA to frame Arrow makes more sense, especially considering he was declared an enemy of the league very recently.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, maybe it's just me, but this show has way too many bow-and-arrow characters. Ollie, Malcolm, Cupid, Komodo, Neesa, Roy, the LoA foot-soldiers, etc. And Amanda Wallers suggests there's about twenty criminals on her list that use bow and arrow. I feel like it's starting to hurt the show at this point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

The League planting evidence against Arrow when it's only Arrow who's looking at the evidence is pretty loving dumb, to be honest. That's a fanwank theory that holds zero water.

What do you mean? They could make the DNA evidence appear in the police database to frame Arrow.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Senerio posted:

The League are said to be totally archaic, which covers Malcolm and Nyssa too. Oliver trained Roy, and Cupid took HER inspiration from The Arrow. Komodo existed to be a Red Herring for Sara's killer.

I know all that. I think they could have skipped Cupid, and I have said before that I want Roy to develop his unique fighting style using his own... arsenal... of weapons. Malcolm and Nyssa I can forgive, since there are thematical reasons for them to share the same weapon skills as Oliver.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rhas Al Ghul being behind Sara's murder is just so drat obvious. I'm hoping Thea killed her solely because it would give Willa Holland something to do.

Outside of the Corto Maltese episode, she's had literally nothing to do. They started something with the idea of her and Oliver sharing a flat, and then ignored it.

I feel like the show is struggling to tell meaningful stories these past few episodes, and there's all these juicy veins to tell stories that are being ignored.

I think they are still sharing a flat, but the crossovers happened right after they moved in together so there wasn't any room to explore that aspect further. We did however see Malcolm stalking Ollie and Thea from a balcony across the street and he was clearly bothered by the fact that they are becoming close again, so I bet there's more of it to come soon.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As a side note, do we have any indication that Arrow is becoming more skilled as time goes on?

With The Flash, we know that his speed is used as the main measure of his effectiveness, and he has been getting consistently faster with each episode. Running up a building, running on water, delivering the "flash punch" or whatever are used as plot points to highlight the increase in his power. With Arrow though, Ollie seems to possess roughly the same martial prowess since the first season, both in archery and hand-to-hand combat. I get the sense that he peaked before the show actually started. We have seen him get a fancy new composite bow and a lighter armor, but I'm trying to determine if his fighting skills have improved.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think we can all agree that Roy flat out sucks at the moment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I personally don't like it when they show dead characters in flashbacks. Knowing that the character is dead in the present makes it difficult for me to care about their past.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah pretty much every episode from the second half of last season had comments from the cast and crew saying "maaan we had some really cool Roy stuff but had to cut it in the edit"

Hopefully by cool stuff they don't mean more pointless flips.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

edit: beaten ^^^^

Malcolm's stated motivation for blackmailing Ollie to turn himself over to Ra's didn't make sense. Malcolm must know that there's no way in hell an archer like Ollie could beat Ra's in a sword duel and wipe off Malcolm's life debt. So Malcolm either wanted Ollie removed from the picture (which also doesn't make sense since he can do it himself) or he has something else planned.

I'm also in the minority camp of "I hope they don't do Lazarus Pits." It just seems incredibly silly and cheap as a plot device, although admittedly the most likely given the lore. Either way though, I'm looking forward to seeing how the other characters cope with Ollie's death for a few episodes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I did not expect that they could make "Malcom Merlyn did it. Again." a plot twist I wouldn't see coming, but there ya go. Can't believe I fell for the old "I didn't kill Sarah" trick.

Well, he was technically not lying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

However, I am very upset about the dopey map of North America, that's not where Starling City should be located. :colbert:

I've always thought of Starling City as Detroit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Physics question. Why did only Felicity's clothes burn up?

Because we like seeing Felicity half-nekkid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xealot posted:

My name is Laurel Lance, and I'm an alcoholic. This isn't a voiceover, I just have a serious personal problem. Every day is a struggle.

I can see it now: Black Canary the Drunken Boxer!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My hopes for Felicity are much more humble: I want her to hook up with Thea.

Fellithea FTW.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tsilkani posted:

Thealicity, surely?

I don't care as long as Felicity is on top.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arrowflip

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

"We have some very clever fans."

Which basically confirms the Lazarus Pit theory. Otherwise he would have used some other adjective, like "talented fans" or "enthusiastic fans."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mrking posted:

Probably won't happen but if he spins it as Ra's fault it might drive Ollie harder than to kill Ra's

Ollie will never kill Ra's.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That would make sense only if the pits also made you super strong.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah well, the Loser role is already taken by Roy, so...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

spookygonk posted:

The fern in the Arrow Cave Quiver gets more screentime than Roy.

Let's hope it remains that way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

So many nerds.

I live in LA. It's still loving goofy. Show just throws cheesecake out there, except at least with the dudes they're working out or fighting, or being sexy David Ramsey. :allears:

LA definitely has parts where people overdress throughout the whole day.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Also, I know people like to dis Cassidy, but she's a fine actress and certainly better than most of the other women her age on the show, especially Caity Lotz.

She is a good actress, but the way her character is written is very annoying and shallow, which reflects poorly on her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Ollie's been an rear end in a top hat but I think that's intentional and I'm fine with it. It puts him more in the brooding Batman role as so many foils like Bart, Roy, Laurel, and Ray pop up. He's the dark, dickish grounding force and Felicity and Diggle will have to eventually kick his rear end into not being such a dick. The fact that Thea is now an issue will probably play heavily into Oliver's whole "I can't be Oliver Queen and The Arrow" theory.

That's basically my problem with it: it makes him too much like Batman.

I liked it when he wasn't refraining from killing bad guys in Season 1, because then at least he had something that was different than Bruce Wayne. He was an actual vigilante, as in he followed his own moral compass and didn't give a poo poo about others or the law, and it put him at significant odds with law enforcement and his teammates which added tension. It also gave him an actual reason to be a dick to people: he saw himself as a bad person and didn't want people to get too close to him. Really, when Season 1 Ollie said the island changed him, you actually believed it because he went from a wussy trust fund kid to a killer.

Now though he's a dick for no reason. Sure, he has to manage two different lives, but so does Bruce Wayne and he's way more charismatic than Ollie (not to mention actually competent as a CEO).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Thea: I hate you mom because you were forced be a party to the murderous actions of that monster, Malcolm Merlyn, and despite two decades of unwavering love from you it's going to really take a lot for me to forgive you.
Malcolm Merlyn: Oh hey, I hosed your mom once and just found out you're my kid.
Thea: DADDY! :glomp:

She did shoot him, you know.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

What I remember hearing is that season two had a ton of Roy scenes that got cut mostly for time.

Which makes sense, since every episode is jam-packed with material.

Jam-packed with material, such as the exciting and meaningful relationship between Thea and the DJ.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Honestly they could do whatever they wanted. Hell in the last Batman movie Bane breaks his loving back and Bats just hardens the gently caress up and gets over it. TV/movie logic, folks. :stonklol:

Didn't his chiropractor prisoner friend "unbreak" it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

that move is called The Bowling Ball

Because they always come back for more!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just watched the episode, and drat. I didn't think before that I could hate Laurel more, but apparently it is possible. Not only is she utterly useless and annoying, but also a loving terrible person for lying to and manipulating her dad like that regarding Sarah. And she still spends half of every episode teary-eyed.

I've resigned myself to the fact that she will never develop as a character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Well she isn't a drunk anymore.

That's the thing, people hoped that the drunk episodes were her hitting bottom, and speculated that it was going to be uphill from there on. Instead we get an idiot who repeatedly gets her rear end kicked by common thugs and is basically a lying whore.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Huh, I guess enraged_camel really does just go into every TV show thread to complain about women.

I've only complained about two women: Iris on The Flash (who is also very useless) and Laurel on this show.

But hey, my mistake for wanting strong female characters who actually do useful things. :downs:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Didn't you also complain about the fact that Agent Carter depicts misogyny or something? And weren't you also in the Korra thread complaining about, I dunno, lesbians or whatever? Sure hey maybe I just imagined all that.

The Korra thing wasn't me. As for Carter, I said the show misrepresents misogyny.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Habibi posted:

So you go into threads just to complain about 40% of women? Are you Mitt Romney?

I complain about other things too!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think there's a difference between not telling someone that their loved one is dead, and impersonating the dead person (both over the phone and in person) to reinforce the illusion that they are alive.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I figured out how Ollie was actually cured. The virus in the HK flashback was actually water from the Lazarus Pits, and when Ollie et al escaped, Maseo and Tatsu secretly pilfered some of it before giving it back to Amanda. Then Tatsu used it later to kinda-sorta heal Ollie's stab wounds.

It all makes sense if you think about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

You can get away with that part of the time in a movie (or all the time if you're Dredd) but covering up an actors fac in a TV show all the time makes it hard to emote

False dichotomy. It is possible to have a full mask and still have the face shown.

• Locked thread