Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm surprised Arrow is pulling in half the viewers that Flash garners. These are two shows of similar quality, in the same universe, with future cross over episodes, targeting the same audience, yet half the people watching The Flash don't bother with its "predecessor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

greatn posted:

I hope the show makes it to season 6, and spends the entire season intermittently flashing back to season 1. Think of the money they'd save.

The show already has a six year plan, with year six supposed to be the only season not mirrored with flashbacks.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

How's that gonna matter if he ends up being a completely lovely agent, as opposed to the hundreds of other potential agents who could and would do his exact job without being lovely at it?

The whole idea of forcing someone to train for a job that they don't want to do runs counter to all sense and rationale. This could apply to international assassinations or it could apply to carpentry; hands down, no exceptions, no ifs or buts, someone who wants to get better at any profession is going to do better, be more reliable, get more results than someone who is forced into it by duress.

The only reason Waller would be going to these absurd lengths is if she absolutely needed Oliver Queen, and only Oliver Queen, to be her agent for some good reason and, like I said, it's been eight episodes and the show hasn't given us a hint of a good reason as to why the head of ARGUS forced a famous white guy to do wetwork in Hong Kong. Heck, the more I think about it the more idiotic it is.

I think you are overstating how famous Oliver is. How many people would notice if one of the Walton siblings was sitting next to them on the train? Oliver may have a reputation in Starling, but unless he runs into someone who knew him, his chances of being recognized is almost zero. The fact that Waller is using Oliver in place of one of her many more qualified agents suggests that she needs him for something bigger. Risking a bomb go off in HK, based on whether Oliver will torture the information out of the guy in time is completely up her alley, as we have seen with her willing to shoot down a commercial flight with China White and 200 other innocent people on board.

The Slade flashbacks would have seemed equally pointless until the latter half of season 2, had a large part of the audience not known who Slade is in the DC universe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
It seems like everyone has forgotten about what kind of person Waller is. The bulk of the season one flashbacks was Oliver, under the guidance of Yao Fei and later Slade, taking out one of Waller's operations led by Fyers. Waller has been monitoring the island for a long time, and seeing what Oliver did as an amateur, it's a good bet that he could be weaponized and turned into the greatest super agent she has ever come across. Considering that Waller also has the Suicide Squad, she clearly knows that she has an eye for those with a talent for violence.

This is a woman who was prepared to shoot down a Chinese passenger plane to kill one person. Letting a few more non-Americans die while she develops her super weapon is an easily acceptable cost of business for her. Stopping the bombing, killing that guy in the market - accomplishing any of that is just a bonus on the path to forging her very own super agent.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The Bratva connection that he hasn't made yet outside of a conversation between two people in a submarine?

I'm guessing all of this Hong Kong stuff with Amanda and Oliver ends with infiltrating Bratva as the ultimate goal. Oliver is not just going to join the Russian mob because he was bored. It seems like something that will be forced on him, most likely by Waller.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Of course the DJ is working for the League of Assassins, if he isn't then the scenes he was in are the most aggressively pointless scenes in the history of television.

Thea needed a love triangle or the core CW audience would flip their poo poo now that Olicity is not happening.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm guessing Ras and his crew are going back to their HQ after the fight, so I don't think Maseo or Nyssa can pretend that they left their phone up on the mountain and go back to perform emergency surgery and nurse Oliver back to health over a few months. The only person who would be there to save Oliver would be Meryln. Merlyn was trained by Ras, and can more than hold his own against Oliver so he knew there was no chance Oliver could win, and therefore there be no chance to get the LoA off his back.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/19/arrows-manu-bennett-joins-mtvs-shannara

Look's like we might we may end up getting little to no Slade beyond this season.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I think Diggle stopped wearing Oliver's gear because he doesn't make a very convincing Arrow, as we saw with him firing at the truck in the opening scene.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The Lazarus Pit wouldn't have made a great deal of sense in resurrecting Oliver. We have just seen that Ra's is the ultimate badass killing machine, so why would we think that the key to his long life/immortality is left with so little security that Maseo can sneak a dead body in there? Or that Ra's would stage their duels to the death right around the corner from a tool to bring someone back to life?

Resurrecting Oliver was never a major enough plot point to require the use of a Lazarus Pit to begin with. Everyone knew Oliver was coming back. The Pits will be probably be used to save someone whose permanent death would be more believable.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I was wondering why Detective Lance couldn't tell the difference in height between Sara and Laurel, but it turns out that they are roughly the same height. Katie Cassidy just looks like she is 5'10.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Oasx posted:

I am considering skipping the flashback parts altogether, I got bored by the Island towards the end, but the China flashbacks don't hold my interest at all.

If there are parts of the show you would consider skipping, perhaps the show is not for you at all.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If it were not for the Oliver-R'as fight, I'd put this arc below the Huntress arc. Oliver would have been dead even if Barry were standing at the foot of the mountain ready to carry him to the best trauma center in the world. Oliver should have died and been resurrected through whatever mystical means the writers wanted to use, or at the very least he should have returned to Starling City still severely injured. The fact that you can fight one of the most deadly men in the world and recover as if you had the flu - with tea and bed rest - is the silliest thing the show has done, and makes R'as look incompetent. The road map for the rest of the season doesn't look promising either. Teaming up to defeat R'as and the League when he puts the city under siege shouldn't happen this early, unless Oliver will be fighting meta-humans all of season four. It's going to look pretty dumb having a random drug kingpin/thief beat up Oliver and get away early on in each episode when Oliver is going to go toe to toe with one of the most skilled combatants alive.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Oliver is working under the not all together misguided idea that the league will also want Thea dead for Sara's murder. So even if he hands over Merlyn's corpse it doesn't solve that problem.

Well if you turn in Merlyn's corpse, Thea would be in the clear as he can't show them the video of Sara's murder.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Ither posted:

This season really hasn't been doing it for me. Currently, I would put it behind season one.

I'm guessing that the Flash has something to do with it. Did anyone completely leave this show to work on that one?

It has definitely felt like Flash has gotten all of the attention, while Arrow has been phoned in all season. With Supergirl in the works as well, I don't expect things to improve any time soon. In addition, there are also four DC shows on the air, with two more on the way. Even if they aren't all in a shared universe, this limits the stories that can be co-opted for Arrow.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I didn't mind Thea turning on Merlyn as quickly as she did. With Malcolm being one of the cities biggest villains, and Oliver being the Arrow, it would follow that Malcolm would have tried to kill Thea's brother at some point over the last two years - and that is a fairly valid reason to do a 180 on someone.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Like a ....flash forward?

But Diggle is dead in the flashforward, so we spend the rest of the season trying to figure out how he dies.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

GreenNight posted:

They are all living the high life from the dollars Thea makes at her club.

Poor Thea. She is barely 20 years old and is already a small business owner with a deadbeat brother who is too engaged in his hobby to get a real job, her father is retired, and she provides employment to her friend who would otherwise not be working.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm guessing we will have a future crossover where Cisco stops by and they ask him to take a look and the device and make some more, or when Ray gets roped in he will make them. Sara didn't seem to have too many with her when we saw what was left of her gear, and while Laurel may be a sub-par vigilante, I'm sure she is an even worse engineer.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

The flashback parts of this episode sucked out loud. Ollie's hiding just around the corner at pivotal moments for all of the main cast? And they just so happen to think out loud so he can hear it? It's not even useful reveals: Felicity's was just ridiculously unnecessary. "I pulled my hood down." "That would never disguise you, even if you smeared grease paint on your face" would've been funny if the episode wasn't so self referential already.

It felt like the Arrow team let the Gotham writers take charge of this episode.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Jack Skeleton posted:

I can't help but feel that I'd much rather they went with Ted Kord instead of Ray for the power suited hero. Especially since it doesn't seem like they're going with the Atom's powers and it does seem like the comic book equal to what we're seeing is Blue Beetle.

Well that was the plan all along, until WB stepped in and told them they can't use him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I..Jesus, what? Why? I thought it was starting to pick up steam, ratings-wise, toward the end of S1. Why would they kneecap them like that?

The show had lost about 1/3rd of its audience by the end of season 1. Season 2 continued to decline, but not as steeply, and thanks to The Flash, season 3 bounced back somewhat, which is rare as broadcast shows typically decline until cancellation. I wouldn't be surprised if the season 3 budget was cut substantially as well due to the season 2 ratings.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This season has sucked because nothing is happening (relative to what we have come to expect from the show). Season 1 had some bad episodes, but overall was a lot better than this season, which has easily been the worst so far.

Sara dies, Laurel takes up intro to vigilantism...and that is all we have. There has been zero character development other than Felicity flipping from being the lighthearted fun character, to this overly emotional, melodramatic anchor that is weighing everything down. Ra's barely even qualifies as the big bad guy of the season, when all he has done so far is show considerable restraint given what he is supposed to be. He wanted a mass murder brought to justice, then asked for the killer of one of his agents be turned over. The big stakes this season seems to be save Thea's life/conscience, which is incredibly tame given what is usually on the line. This used to be a show founded on the fact that there are consequences for everything, and this season has pretty much thrown that aspect out the window.

Unless DC have secretly planned for this final third of the season to be loaded with backdoor pilots and character introductions for their upcoming shows, I don't see how they salvage this season. Provoking Ra's to the point where Thea and Merlyn aren't the only ones threatened, then teaming up and beating him is going to be pretty dull. The other option seems to be that we get something completely nonsensical - on par with whatever is going on with Fish Mooney every week on Gotham.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I can't really tell if this episode was good or not. Flash has complete distorted my frame of reference.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Maybe Ras ordered Maseo to save Oliver all along, but keep from him the fact that they used the Lazarus Pit to build this sense of destiny for Oliver. Ras seems to have been turned off by Nyssa's weakness, and would have been on the look out for an heir he deems strong enough for some time. Oliver is a good fighter, ascetic to the point of spurning relationships, and up until Tommy died, was basically running the Starling City Chapter of the League of Assassins. Oliver has all the makings of a perfect successor, including fearlessness is the face of certain death.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2015

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Season 3 lacks a big bad. The only nefarious schemer we have had all season is chilling out on Thea's couch. Ra's had been remarkably reasonable for a guy who leads an organization called the League of Assassins. All he asked for was that the killer of one of his agents be brought to justice. After making a threat to get Team Arrow to stop dragging their heels, Oliver forced him into a duel even though they both knew Oliver didn't kill Sara. Ra's then returned Diggle, Merlyn and Oliver to Starling CIty with no further harm done. At the end of last episode when he is posing as The Arrow, he didn't shoot an innocent couple, or a pickpocket, he shot three cop killers (who were planning to kill more cops), which is right in line with Season 1 Oliver's sense of justice. Even the proposal to be Ra's heir isn't all that unreasonable - Oliver is unhappy, is uncomfortable wearing the Oliver Queen hat, has no life outside of vigilantism, and hasn't made much of a difference in cleaning up Starling City (one of the city's major tragedies only occurred because of him).

Chugging along with Ra's as the season's big villain, when he has been a relatively decent guy, has made this season feel really directionless. Season 1 had Oliver becoming The Arrow and Merlyn wanting to kill all the poors. Season 2 had Brother Blood and then Slade trying to take over the city with an army of super strength goons and making Oliver's life hell. This season has been about the nicest assassin king ever, and his goal of getting one of the most honorable guys he has come across to lead his organization.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Maseo's the one who's coming across more and more like a brain-dead cipher as time goes on. I mean, it's not as if he was ever exactly a compelling character in the first place, but now he's just some annoying weirdo who spouts expository gibberish about how great Ra's Al Ghul is and how everyone should want to polish his knob over and over again.

Maseo probably wants Oliver to take over even more than Ra's does.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The universes are separate. This makes me wary for how they are going to deal with The Flash as the movie gets closer to filming.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

There was nothing explicitly, jarringly wrong about this episode, but for some reason I just find myself really struggling to be hyped about this show right now.

I feel the same way. Even back in season one the show had a certain gravitas which has just been thrown out the window this season. This Lance vs. Oliver face off with Roy sacrificing himself would have meant a lot more with the relationships the characters shared last season. Oliver has had very little to do with Lance this season outside of keeping quiet about Sara's death, and he is more of Roy's boss than mentor at this point. The writers have put themselves in a corner by marginalizing everyone outside of Oliver and Laurel, while also showing that Oliver is never really going to be in true danger.

I don't really see where the hype will come from going forward. Someone is going to die? Aside from the shock value, there is going to be little else coming from killing off a side character. Oliver joins the league? Sure he will take off for a few weeks, then return to a cry-talking Felicity and return to the status quo. The flashbacks aren't going anywhere either. Season one brought us vigilante training, the budding friendship with Slade and the showdown with Fyers. In season two we learned about Sara and saw the breakdown in the Oliver-Slade relationship which drove the season long arc. This season all we got is some Waller stuff which we know doesn't progress her character much, since she is still pulling the same crap today. I guess we are going to find out how Maseo's son dies, but why should we care about the son of a minor character who was only just introduced this season?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'd be more concerned with what happens to The CW, before DC ever get the chance to screw up The Flash. The CW have to renegotiate their affiliate deal that covers a lot of major markets, and the company they are dealing with is not at all happy with their performance. CW will probably end up on some digital substation, or be forced into a really tough deal. Either way, the network's budget will likely tank after next season, at which point it will limp on to an inevitable death.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I think it's a high quality show, it just has issues with a bit of the writing and some of the characters (including the main character).

I'm not sure how much bang for buck Netflix got out of it, when it seemed to be on the radar for the general public for about 10-14 days. HBO on the other hand gets to milk GoT for three months. Daredevil is going to have a similar problem. As good as it may be, it's going to be out of mind by next weekend (and for a genre that really benefits from audience reaction, and social media hype, its going to miss a lot of that). I don't get why Netflix don't move new shows to a weekly release schedule. Their Marvel properties alone would get them nearly year round coverage of new releases and word of mouth promotion.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

TLG James posted:

I've just binge watched Season 3 in 2 days, and I don't understand the hate. The drama is a bit over the top though.

It basically comes down to:
Lack of a true big-bad for the season.
The remedy for being stabbed in the kidney, chest, and being kicked off a mountain turns out to be the same remedy for treating the flu - tea and bed rest.
Felicity's transformation from proto-Cisco to a perpetually crying tumblr stand-in.
Marginalizing Diggle and Roy.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If it feels like the writing has been outsourced to Tumblr after the previous writers moved over to The Flash. The show has declined even more rapidly than Heroes, which I would have never imagined possible.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Laurel has somehow become the character I hate the least

She is the only character trying to move forward with her live, and be productive. On top of that, she has been the paragon of reason in comparison to everyone else this season. The only real mark against her was not telling her father about Sara. Compare that to Felicity threatening to go to war with Ra's, a guy who squashed Oliver like an insect, and could probably take on Team Arrow+Ray+Idiot Barry at the same time and win.

Dango Bango posted:

I shouldn't have watched Daredevil. Arrow's writing doesn't hold a candle to it at this point. I hate how the plot is all over the place compared to how tight seasons 1 & 2 were. There hasn't been the same sense of urgency with Ra's as there was with Merlyn and Deathstroke. (I will admit this might be more noticeable because I binged those seasons on Netflix.) And then there's all the Olicity bullshit that has ruined Felicity for me. :rolleyes:

Arrow season 3 doesn't hold a candle to Arrow season 1 at this point.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
When you compare the cast and writing/producer reactions and discussions about Arrow this season, you get the sense that producing Arrow now seems to be more of a chore and obligation and The Flash is where all the focus is. Not only has the creative focus shifted, but Arrow's budget was slashed in half for season 2, and then cut further for season 3, which can't make things easy. Then there is the introduction of metahumans and bringing someone like Ra's in this early that puts Arrow in an awkward position. It was supposed to be a street-level superhero show, but Oliver is at a level where any non-Ras, non-metahuman villain is little more than an insect to be swatted. Even if Arrow changes course and shifts the focus to Oliver fighting metahumans, without mirakuru Roy around, everyone else basically needs to hide indoors while Oliver does everything.

The show needs major retooling, but with Berlanti focused on Supergirl, and the rest of his crew at the CW having Legends of Tomorrow to work on, I don't think Arrow will get the attention it needs to get back on track.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The fight in the Nanda Parbat gunrange, and the whole scene with Ray taking out the plane looked so cheap you could have mistaken it for scenes from a 90s episode of Power Rangers.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The budget has been slashed heavily every season like most shows. The reasoning is that the heaviest drain on budget is set building, the longer a show runs the larger the amount of established sets it has to draw on and the cheaper it can run.

The last season of Arrow did a pretty good job of disguising their reduced budget, but this season there seems to have been zero effort in avoiding things looking cheap. Things have looked to be just a step above VR Troopers/Power Rangers this season.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Non-killing shot?

Thea never watched Tommy die, so she is still allowed kill shots.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Even if the movie makes negative money?

That would be a stretch, even with Hollywood accounting. The name alone is going to make money even if they just show 2 hours of OIicity season 3 highlights. CW on the other hand would be deep in the red were it not for their massive Netflix streaming deal, and likely won't exist by the time the movie comes out.

Unless WB are really making a killing selling Flash and Arrow internationally, they are not going to give a poo poo about what happens to the TV shows. Even if CW is still around, I wouldn't be surprised if they are forced to pull the plug on the show before the movie airs. Are they really going to risk their blockbuster franchise being upstaged by a show with CW-level acting and 3% of the budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but if Constantine befriends anyone on Team Arrow it means they've gotta die horribly. :ohdear:

I volunteer Felicity.

• Locked thread