Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

aBagorn posted:

That or they just need to keep 'appearances'

Felicity does wear a lot of makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He wasn't a dropout, he was kicked out close to graduation. He had the education but not the paper saying so.

Dead Snoopy posted:

pfft...Best Buy. Their spin off [Canadian Future Shop] doesn't even CARRY the 2nd season of Arrow on Blu-Ray. I gotta order it online. Plus they've always got 10 persons per department standing around doing sweet F.A.! Oliver should just raise $1000, buy one and he could work in the appliances section and slip out the back whenever he wants to do anything.

Future Shop is probably the actual cover story for most of the real life members of The Justice League [reporters, amazons and playboys not included].

I bought it at Bestbuy that's across the street from a Futureshop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't the other show Hourman?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A 26 year old Superman works fine, because he ages slower.

People don't want to see 26 year old Superman and 50 year old Lois though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, the "Laurel's journey begins in episode 1" quotes are pretty funny now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, the character was fun (a much more positive energy compared to Summer Glau as an ice queen), but my problem was that the dramatic beats there were pretty much a rehash of the previous storyline of a hotshot charming executive playing nice and then sweeping Ollie's metaphorical legs out from under him.

That's not what happened at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the irredeemable murderer dying in an alley is just fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The arrows hit Sara just slow enough that I had time to think "Well that's a good way to have her miss a chunk of episodes this sea- Oh, okay"

Also the killer is in the drat next episode preview, stop acting like you're making a prediction.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I kind of doubt they're going to wrap that mystery up in one episode, but this is Arrow. I'm pretty sure the villain next week is just a red herring.

I think most likely the person in the preview is the trigger(wo)man, but that someone else ordered it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't want to get too deeply into this because I'm sure I've already exceeded the upper limit of talking about this specific topic on this forum, but that's really only one part of fridging; it's really a mix of death, disempowerment, and gratuity. The original Women in Refrigerators website that Gail Simone started, for instance, didn't just list off girlfriend that got killed to make their boyfriends sad; it was a list of all female characters in comics that got somehow shuffled off the stage by way of death or disempowerment, as an examination of why there were so few active, powerful female superheroes that writers could write about, thereby examining the difference between how female characters were treated in those instances versus male characters in comparable situations.

We can see the trend playing out throughout Arrow itself. Of all the important main characters killed off through the series, we got Tommy and possibly Yao Fei on one end, and Shado, Moira, and now Sara on the other. Tommy and Yao Fei was were fridged, that's true, but Tommy in particular got fridged like a champ, performing self-sacrificing feats of heroism to save the woman he loves; the guy who was physically unimpressive, who never showed any particularly heroic attributes, goes out in a spectacular feat of masculinity, showing that even the weakest men are prone to great strength. Moira, Shado, and Sara got no grand virtuous finales; they got victimized and tied up and tossed off a building. Three of the deadliest women on the show, two of them stalwart heroes, are helpless to stop the bad guys from killing them, showing that even the strongest women (and Yao Fei, I suppose) are ultimately powerless when all is said and done.

It's a trend that pops up over and over again through media.

Uh, Moira was a badass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Making characters exist to die to give others growth is a poo poo thing

Cool. They didn't do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if she knows him that's not how she would react.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kruller posted:

I hope that Laurel gets the proper Canary Cry instead of using tech like Sara did. With The Flash setting up metahumans, it could happen, and it'd be neat to have SOMEONE who isn't just "really good at punching/using a bow/gadgets" involved, so long as she isn't shrieking her head off every episode. Make it take a lot out of her or something.

You drink the water in Central City one time...

ghostwritingduck posted:

We already have a super serum that brings you back from the dead and gives you super human strength. The Flash now exists in continuity as well, which brings the meta humans with him. A Lazarus Pit doesn't seem any weirder.

They've actually said Mirakuru was used to make the introduction of The Flash more believable and that after that, superpowers were going back in the closet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

Sarah Lance/Black Canary

:laugh:

Maybe she'll have Grundy's powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus if she's going to have to be wearing fishnets all the time I'm pretty sure that's part of the training regimen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good thing nobody made it weird or anything.\

Also that Lego game is going to be insane. Over the last few days they also announced Detective Chimp, Condiment King, and Duck Dodgers Green Lantern. And Conan O'Brien serves as a guide in the story mode.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I feel like yall are missing the salient aspect of that photo.

She's being fitted for a full face mask. Deathstroke reborn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ads for this keep using the tagline "Revenge is the only dish served."

So cheesy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jesus. CSI is mocking this show for it's advanced technology. She found his cell phone in literally loving 30 seconds

Tracking cellphones is actually super quick.

The joust could have done with one fewer pass or so. Also the scene was too dark to tell who was who at times. Might just be the feed I get but I thought Ollie was on his bike coming up on Komodo in a car at first it was so dark.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slamhound posted:

I know last week didn't leave much room for ambiguity, but I'm genuinely surprised they actually killed off Sara. Wasn't Caity Lotz a favorite?

Sure, but they're not going to change a multi season arc for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

If he was so frail that the actual death of a daughter he had already assumed had died would kill him, then he should be in hospice care, not running a police force.

Didn't the premiere actually say something about how he shouldn't still be working?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I agree with your assessment on Laurel though. I like that they're giving her stuff to work with now, and I think it can come out really well in the end, but this is a situation where Arrow's trademark breakneck pace isn't working for me. She's been a stagnant character for so long that her suddenly turning into a revenge-crazed vigilante who is twisting the arms of would-be assassination targets to extract information and is ready to charge off quite literally half-cocked after a guy has my suspension of disbelief shaken.

Do you guys not have siblings or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he knows.

She snapped a guy's neck in front of him when he first saw her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, you can clearly see when he stops pushing and lets the slide finish the spin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the show she was only ever Canary. Some merchandise and promotional materials have called her Black Canary.

Black being the mourning color and all it makes sense as a name for Laurel to use though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Not sure why DC have decided to not let Arrow have Ted Kord or the others they said no too, when the movie and tv universes are separate. Not making a lick of sense now they have cast a new Flash

Unless they're making a show with Ted Kord in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krad posted:

I wouldn't want Ted to appear in either show. You all know what his fate is in every universe he's in. :smith:

Ted's weird because he's a white male legacy character who hasn't come back to unseat his minority replacement yet.

And he's the one everyone wants back.

He better end up on Flash.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

The thing is everyone wants him back, as long as Jaime keeps the scarab.

Which Ted never used. It's already laid out perfectly for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show moves so fast the reveal will be it was actually the vigilante Laurel who killed Sara.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't shoot a flashbang bullet.

Or a hacking bullet.

Or a grapple bullet for backwards building jumps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably can however do all of those things with a grenade launcher.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know who killed Sara.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

While in the comics Brick has superpowers (unbreakable skin) it looks like for the show he's just going to be called that because he's tough.

Also because it's his name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look Harper, we're all shocked but you do not interrupt Arrow.

Why is Laurel looking for a kid?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it matters, she found a place to train, that's the important part.

Oh, so it's real DA stuff and not Sara stuff?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

I may have said this before but I actually find Thea to be one of the better characters in the show. She stands her ground always and makes zero apologies for who she is or what she believes in. I'm interested to see where they're taking this whole plot line with her. Anyone have any idea who they could be making her into? I've never read any Arrow comics or otherwise experienced Ollie outside of Smallville.

Most likely the endgame here is to have Merlyn train her and then she comes back over to the good guy side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Well she calls herself Mia in this episode. I'd recommend Googling DC and Mia if you want to know more. Although clearly there will be major differences.

She's got the H.I.V.E.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So much easier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Good thing Merlyn had all those easy to destroy things around his Katana collection.

If I had the mone that's exactly what I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Canary's a much better fighter than Green Arrow in the comics, but I don't think they'll be going that way here.

• Locked thread