Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

mookface posted:

Because a sense of purpose gives life meaning and value. Ive been a slovenly sad sack in the past and trust me the alternative is much more rewarding. Success is not necessarily becoming wealthy, but finding what you're passionate about and sharing that life with others if you want to

okay my passion is being a stay at home dad to two beautiful children

but my wife and i can't have kids, ill never be able to afford to quit my job because my wife will never be able to make as much as me and were barely scraping by as is, and shell probably be disabled from multiple sclerosis within the next decade because we can't afford medical care for her

please find the inherent beauty or whatever the gently caress yr on about in this situation tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

mookface posted:

I build processing plants for big oil companies

Your passion sucks.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

mookface posted:

gently caress, i guess i would delude myself too

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

darkwing cuck posted:

okay my passion is being a stay at home dad to two beautiful children

but my wife and i can't have kids, ill never be able to afford to quit my job because my wife will never be able to make as much as me and were barely scraping by as is, and shell probably be disabled from multiple sclerosis within the next decade because we can't afford medical care for her

please find the inherent beauty or whatever the gently caress yr on about in this situation tia

your life is hosed and there isn't "inherent" beauty in anything, beauty requires a certain active perspective of which you are not capable because you have been crippled by material circumstances

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

mookface posted:

lol your passion is raping this gay earth.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

nomadologique posted:

your life is hosed and there isn't "inherent" beauty in anything, beauty requires a certain active perspective of which you are not capable because you have been crippled by material circumstances

i think this is more or less my point, yeah

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
there could technically be beauty in the way you form that passion in to something else that represents the lack of ability to express that specific desire otherwise, like baking a really good cake or building a canoe.

Life isnt really about optimality in anything, despite the focus on rationality and optimization presented by various aspects of society.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I don't think he's asking for optimal anything, he's just having trouble getting past the smashed dreams of how he thought his life would be.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

I did. P. deep amirite?

Lao Tzu the Goon

ya its chill

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
that's a badass op you're badass op

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

darkwing cuck posted:

i think this is more or less my point, yeah

there are, however, other people who are not you who have really lovely things happen in their lives and keep a good attitude, so the "material circumstances" by which you are crippled include your own personal makeup and constitution

i am not judging you and you are not "less" because of it

there is no inherent doom

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Costello Jello posted:

I don't think he's asking for optimal anything, he's just having trouble getting past the smashed dreams of how he thought his life would be.

i just get really tired of hearing people talk about the kind of vacuous bull poo poo that mookface is spewing. "find yr passion and pursue it!" okay, there's a handful of things im passionate about and i dont have the means or ability to pursue any of them but thanks for the advice i guess?

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
my main point was that having preferences can quickly become problematic.

making decisions kind of sucks until you stop caring? unless its about the kind of beer THEN BEG STEAL OR DO WHATEVER FOR THE UNIBROUE GOON RESERVE 14

edit: is there any consolation in philosophy? #boethius #flappycappedignatius

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lot of depressed ppl up itt, not a surprise i suppose...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
SA is full of sadbrains

The internet in general is, really

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

like you can talk northman, congenitally depressed

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

mookface posted:

i think you'd be less worthless as a women's studies major actually

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

Lao Tzu the Goon

ya its chill

Actually I stole the gist from some Buddhist parable I don't remember yet I recall that line about clouds and puddles.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you can blame your ego, without it you'd have offed yourself years ago, or have become a monk, could go either way

that's why americans think they're smart and awesome to use a generic example, because they know they aren't, it's like safe mode for your brain

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the reflection of the moon on a still pool is the go-to image of the mind in buddhism

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tt needs nietzsche

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it's why the gross chick down the hall wears pants that say hot on the butt

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

nomadologique posted:

tt needs nietzsche

why is nietzsche worth reading? ivr always vaguely considered reading him but never git around to it

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Thomas Carlisle posted:

My friend, brag not yet of our American cousins! Their quantity of cotton, dollars, industry and resources, I believe to be almost unspeakable; but I can by no means worship the like of these. What great human soul, what great thought, what great noble thing that one could worship, or loyally admire, has yet been produced there? None: the American cousins have yet done none of these things.

he foretold of the sweatpants, far too sweaty underneath their advertisement of temperature

nietzsche was a word smith, kind of like kanye, except less crazy

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

mookface posted:

your job is basically the equivalent of being the head engineer of the death star

oh shit gorillas!
Sep 30, 2014

Zzulu posted:

SA is full of sadbrains

The world in general is, really

corrected

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

the reflection of the moon on a still pool is the go-to image of the mind in buddhism

Ya i forgot..man. Not just the cloud/moon but its reflection. Two steps back. Thats how deep into the poo poo we've dug.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

darkwing cuck posted:

why is nietzsche worth reading? ivr always vaguely considered reading him but never git around to it

Father of modern philosophy. Witty. Lots of short bits that import meaning.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Flailing at shadows

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nietzsche was also very polemic, which is a trait quite lacking these days or ever. He was a rare dude. He had the fire. Thats why he is worth reading.

He wanted to knock what you thought to bits and build you back up again. He had a scalpel in one hand and a sledgehammer in the other.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

darkwing cuck posted:

i just get really tired of hearing people talk about the kind of vacuous bull poo poo that mookface is spewing. "find yr passion and pursue it!" okay, there's a handful of things im passionate about and i dont have the means or ability to pursue any of them but thanks for the advice i guess?

Or the cost of pursuing the passions are extremely high and costly to people you love. Like divorcing your wife over something she can't control, like her MS, and getting out of dodge and pursuing a new life. A possible choice, but also a really destructive one in a lot of ways.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Yeah people are just more honest on the internet.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
are you telling me you wouldnt be happy at some tech company wearing a onesie suit flailing in a ball pit with a craft IPA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ping pong and foosball.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can leave it all behind..youre never stuck. Unless youre a quadripeligic or something.

Phone posting on a walk thats when i get my thoughts sry

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
lower your expectation, up your happiness

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Tautologicus posted:

You can leave it all behind..youre never stuck.

The Taoist votes for telling your loving sick wife to gently caress off, darkwing cuck.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My uncle has stayed with his wife with debiliating Lymes disease ever since she got sick (30 years ago)..she cant work or go anywhere for very long..i dont think he regrets it, but you know.

And that was a general comment before. And i could never get married due to the lack of freedom so i am biased there

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Hissing Butt posted:

i think you'd be less worthless as a women's studies major actually

I enjoy the job too and the life it provides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But i would also never abandon a member of my family in need. In fact thats why im home and not anywhere else in the world

• Locked thread