Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

the same could be said for those who funneled jews into the gas chambers

Are you saying everyone wanted to funnel jews into gas chambers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tautologicus posted:

Are you saying everyone wanted to funnel jews into gas chambers

A great deal were indifferent at least. Also would you feel more comfortable buying all of the oil from the middle east

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

no just that an individual refusing to do something thats morally reprehensible, even if someone else will take his place, is still laudable and good

it was also kind of a joke and comparing mookface to nazi guards is obv. not serious but i do feel pretty strongly about climate change and the evil shortsightedness that will cause massive suffering for future generations

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

no just that an individual refusing to do something thats morally reprehensible, even if someone else will take his place, is still laudable and good

it was also kind of a joke and comparing mookface to nazi guards is obv. not serious but i do feel pretty strongly about climate change and the evil shortsightedness that will cause massive suffering for future generations

It won't be fixed until its actually broken and then they might not be able to fix it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I tried to give up but it turns out the capitalist warlords that rule our lives aren't happy unless you're killing yourself on their treadmills making them richer, and suicide is a lot harder than you think even when you really really want it, so I went back to caring but on my terms cause I'm a strong independent mushroom who don't need no fertilizer.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
run the treadmill, play the game. The moment you get a chance to quit the game, peruse what you want.

If you're religious, think of it as purging original sin.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mookface posted:

A great deal were indifferent at least. Also would you feel more comfortable buying all of the oil from the middle east

Me? I say get it wherever it is. It's coming out of the ground no matter what. There's no force in the world, benevolent or otherwise that's going to keep it in there apart from technological obsolescence.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

actually the force that will keep oil from coming out of the ground will be the planet itself

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oil is the largest source of visible, visceral power the human race has ever encountered. It gives us mastery over our domain (we think). Yea right if anyone's going to be stopped from taking it and using it.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

run the treadmill, play the game. The moment you get a chance to quit the game, peruse what you want.

If you're religious, think of it as purging original sin.

Nah, if you ever get tired of the treadmill just remove someone one higher up in the system from existence.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

actually the force that will keep oil from coming out of the ground will be the planet itself

Maybe

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the future of earth's livability is a hosed up thing to play dice with

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

skeletonotherkin posted:

Nah, if you ever get tired of the treadmill just remove someone one higher up in the system from existence.

what didn't you understand about "playing the game"?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
what do you think happens after you die ths?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

the future of earth's livability is a hosed up thing to play dice with

Tell that to the Chinese and the Indians and everyone else who wants to play modern country without any or very little environmental oversight at all and little interest in gaining any.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

Tell that to the Chinese and the Indians and everyone else who wants to play modern country without any or very little environmental oversight at all and little interest in gaining any.

i cant effect what the chinese and indians do and going all nihilistic with a "well its all hosed anyway" attitude is dumb and bad

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We can keep them away from the oil wells with our armies but then we wouldn't have the feel good card. No one will listen to pleading with that much power at stake.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nomadologique posted:

what do you think happens after you die ths?

i dont know

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ok

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

what didn't you understand about "playing the game"?

I wasn't really paying attention to be honest, but I'm laughing at the idea that most people can quite the game.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

i cant effect what the chinese and indians do and going all nihilistic with a "well its all hosed anyway" attitude is dumb and bad

Thats what youre asking for. Everyone in the world has to be on board to agree not to use oil for energy. And taking it more slowly out of the ground is just failing more slowly. Same amount of emissions in the air. Its not nihilistic, name the alternatives.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
~one must lose one's life, to gain it~

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

Thats what youre asking for. Everyone in the world has to be on board to agree not to use oil for energy. And taking it more slowly out of the ground is just failing more slowly. Same amount of emissions in the air. Its not nihilistic, name the alternatives.

so do you think there has never been a mass movement that affected huge changes in society

the alternative is lots of people organizing together to stop this insane collective suicide

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

skeletonotherkin posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to be honest, but I'm laughing at the idea that most people can quite the game.

True enough. :D

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

Its not nihilistic, name the alternatives.

also i hate being rude but thats.. well thats a dumb thing to say. did you read that before you wrote it. you literally just said "its not nihilistic its just that nothing will work so why bother trying"

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Tautologicus posted:

Youre trying to decide if shes worth it or not..i hope you make the right choice, whatever that is.

Tautologicus posted:

Oil is the largest source of visible, visceral power the human race has ever encountered. It gives us mastery over our domain (we think). Yea right if anyone's going to be stopped from taking it and using it.

I understand this "getting real" version of Tautologicus better.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

so do you think there has never been a mass movement that affected huge changes in society

the alternative is lots of people organizing together to stop this insane collective suicide

Im only talking about oil. I think plenty of popular movementw have succeeded. They had to have a better alternative in mind, something specific. The civil rights movement was one of these..

I don't see the suicide, just a changing of the guard off in the distance (but ultimately the same guard..power and money, it comes back around, it always does). I used to think about the world ending like that though.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

also i hate being rude but thats.. well thats a dumb thing to say. did you read that before you wrote it. you literally just said "its not nihilistic its just that nothing will work so why bother trying"

I dunno, nothing wrong with trying, go for it. What are we talking about again? Oil, social change, alternative energy, all of the above??

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nuclear energy is a good alternative and ive spent a lot of time and breath arguing with environmentalists about it irl. imo the hostility against it isnt nearly as bad as it was a decade ago

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

I dunno, nothing wrong with trying, go for it. What are we talking about again? Oil, social change, alternative energy, all of the above??

dont forget isis, ebola and the ukraine crisis

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

nuclear energy is a good alternative and ive spent a lot of time and breath arguing with environmentalists about it irl. imo the hostility against it isnt nearly as bad as it was a decade ago

Doesnt replace all the uses of oil and is incredibly expensive. Theyre still drilling can you hear them, they didnt listen, try again..lol

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The future will have many concurrent sources of energies, I'm not even saying that. Just that you can't stop the beast once it's out. That's what I am saying.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

Doesnt replace all the uses of oil and is incredibly expensive. Theyre still drilling can you hear them, they didnt listen, try again..lol

actually most oil is used for producing energy for industrial and commercial use, or for transportation. if you are talking about your lubricant thats pretty much nothing. more nuclear power would go a long way towards reducing carbon emissions

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

The future will have many concurrent sources of energies, I'm not even saying that. Just that you can't stop the beast once it's out. That's what I am saying.

historically this is not an accurate way of looking at difficult problems like this and the insane use of fossil fuels is not some metaphysical beast that cant ever be defeated

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

dont worry ths, when people make everything out of carbon they'll pull lots out of the atmosphere

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

We can keep them away from the oil wells with our armies but then we wouldn't have the feel good card. No one will listen to pleading with that much power at stake.

You can't even do that.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

historically this is not an accurate way of looking at difficult problems like this and the insane use of fossil fuels is not some metaphysical beast that cant ever be defeated

Ok, what should be done..what are you saying? It's not a beast at this point, it is entrenched, a way of life. I only see technological solutions possible and people are working on them. Algae, fusion, wind, waves, solar, batteries, its all being done. What else are you saying?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

You can't even do that.

Nope we tried

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yeah, gently caress everyone, I hope I fuckin die OP, hell yeah shread til I'm dead, eat pizza pie til I die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tautologicus posted:

Ok, what should be done..what are you saying? It's not a beast at this point, it is entrenched, a way of life. I only see technological solutions possible and people are working on them. Algae, fusion, wind, waves, solar, batteries, its all being done. What else are you saying?

i responded to you saying "I don't see the suicide, just a changing of the guard off in the distance (but ultimately the same guard..power and money, it comes back around, it always does)." because i dont think we can responsibly brush off the problem like that, and the consequences could be very extreme in the coming decades

i also offered alternatives. i believe a large global mass movement is necessary for serious action against the worst of climate change and i dont believe thats an insane or impossible thing. i also believe your viewpoint is really defeatist and a resignation to the status quo, which is silly because political power from mass movements have changed huge things for the better in the past

• Locked thread