Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BeefThief posted:

In the spirit of halloween, and since ive never seen any of the nightmare on elm street movies, i just started watching them. the first one was pretty good but the second one kind of sucked and didnt make any sense. do they get better or worse?

they get better and then worse. but they're all fun and trashy. 1-3 are the best. and new nightmare owns.

4 is the most insane one out of them all. 5 is the dullest, pretty much unwatchable. 6 is stupid, but still weird enough to be watchable.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
New Nightmare is excellent, OP, and refreshingly jettisons the jokey stand-up comedian Freddy that dragged down the series.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Watch Never Sleep Again. The best part is when they discuss Nightmare 2 by pretty much repeating, "It was super gay. We didn't see it- I don't know how we didn't see it- but it was really, really gay."

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

TheJoker138 posted:

and Halloween was only good for one movie.

C'mon now dude Halloween 3 loving owns.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

she looks like she is wearing a skin mask.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't watch any of the movies, but do watch the insanely good Never Sleep Again documentary and get everything you need to know.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Every single person that worked on 2 was a homosexual and every single one thought they were being clever by slipping in subtle gay subtext but they all did it at once and made the gayest and best movie in history.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

TheJoker138 posted:

Halloween was only good for one movie.

You better be talking about Season of the Witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8P0ZfcgY

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 7, 2014

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Aww bitch.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tardcore posted:

You better be talking about Season of the Witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8P0ZfcgY

Halloween 3 is such a loving crazy concept that you have to respect it in bad movie lore. Plus it's kind of cool the Halloween series tried to break the horror movie mold and do a different halloween themed movie with each sequel. Too bad that didn't last past 3.

That being said, Halloween 3 is fun for ironic reasons but Halloween is a legit good movie.

As for Elm Street, one is a classic. 3 is good. I saw one of the others, but I can't remember which. It sucked though. The first is the only good one though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

If your interested in other good 80's/90's horror you should check out:

Hellraiser I, II
Evil Dead I, II
Re-Animator
From Beyond
Near Dark (probably the best modern vampire movie ever made)
Pet Sematary
Candyman
Lord of Illusions
The Blob
The Thing
The Fly
Prince of Darkness
Leviathan
Deep Star Six

C.H.U.D.
Rawhead Rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWB6sZZcl2E

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2014

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Fuckin lol this is me every weekend when the wife is at yoga and I'm at home cleaning the apartment.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't really count Season of the Witch as a Halloween movie because it's so different from the others. It's bug gently caress insane and fun as hell though, yeah.

E: Speaking of movies totally different from their predecessors, what would you guys say is the sequel that the most missed the point of the original? I think Hellraiser 3. He goes from specifically only coming to get people who solve the box willingly, knowing what it does, to just slaughtering an entire night club for no reason.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every single person that worked on 2 was a homosexual and every single one thought they were being clever by slipping in subtle gay subtext but they all did it at once and made the gayest and best movie in history.

Funny, the exact same thing happened with the original Fright Night Tom Holland now apologizes publicly for somehow missing it at the time.

TheJoker138 posted:

E: Speaking of movies totally different from their predecessors, what would you guys say is the sequel that the most missed the point of the original? I think Hellraiser 3. He goes from specifically only coming to get people who solve the box willingly, knowing what it does, to just slaughtering an entire night club for no reason.

WEEEELLLLLL.... [hellraiser sperg moment] Technically what was going on in part three is the human soul inside the "Pinhead" demon is temporarily removed thanks to the events at the end of part 2, and now it's kinda going on a mad dog rampage. It even makes some incredibly lovely henchmen with no real thought into their design. In fact, they even trick the audience as well as the main girl into thinking that if she gets them back together, everyone will live happily ever after, but she overlooks that she doesn't kill Pinhead in any way, and she had to open the drat box at the beginning of the film, and that's not forgotten--her troubles just begin, and Pinhead is completely who he is because of the human soul inside him that's totally evil. Also, they make it kinda clear throughout the mythos that you don't have to necessarily open the box yourself to feel its effects. [/sperg]

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Funny, the exact same thing happened with the original Fright Night Tom Holland now apologizes publicly for somehow missing it at the time.

WEEEELLLLLL.... [hellraiser sperg moment] Technically what was going on in part three is the human soul inside the "Pinhead" demon is temporarily removed thanks to the events at the end of part 2, and now it's kinda going on a mad dog rampage. It even makes some incredibly lovely henchmen with no real thought into their design. In fact, they even trick the audience as well as the main girl into thinking that if she gets them back together, everyone will live happily ever after, but she overlooks that she doesn't kill Pinhead in any way, and she had to open the drat box at the beginning of the film, and that's not forgotten--her troubles just begin, and Pinhead is completely who he is because of the human soul inside him that's totally evil. Also, they make it kinda clear throughout the mythos that you don't have to necessarily open the box yourself to feel its effects. [/sperg]

My point is the movie sucked and feels completely out of place when you put it next to the first two.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't really count Season of the Witch as a Halloween movie because it's so different from the others. It's bug gently caress insane and fun as hell though, yeah.

It rules

Halloween I'd say is probably the best 80s/90s horror series, imo, because I really like Myers as a character and Dr. Loomis, but Friday the 13th was pretty decent too

never did get into friday the 13th, never liked freddy and never found him the least bit scary even as a kid

actually poo poo halloween 1 was '78, huh

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i have to stay up all night to take care of a sick kitten and am gonna just smoke weed and watch netflix, is the documentary about the nightmare movies consistently interesting or will parts of it bore the crap out of me? its just so long, like i gotta stay up anyways i just dont wanna get bored

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Iggy Koopa posted:

i have to stay up all night to take care of a sick kitten and am gonna just smoke weed and watch netflix, is the documentary about the nightmare movies consistently interesting or will parts of it bore the crap out of me? its just so long, like i gotta stay up anyways i just dont wanna get bored

Maybe. Also, I hope your kitten feels better.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Iggy Koopa posted:

all of it own's.

Crystal lake memories is pretty rad as well.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Maybe. Also, I hope your kitten feels better.

thank you i hope so as well the vet put some fluid under its skin to hydrate it today and ran some tests and we are feeding it wet food mixed with water in a syringe every few hours just waitingfor the test results tomorrow to see what we can do, im gonna watch the movie anyways because ive seen about everything else horror related on netflix that doesnt look absolutely awful

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gaz2k21 posted:

all of it own's.

Crystal lake memories is pretty rad as well.

is that also on netflix ?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Iggy Koopa posted:

is that also on netflix ?

I'm not sure I dont use netflix.

IT's considerably longer than "Never Sleep Again" though so if your not into the Jason movie's it'll be a slog.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i very much enjoy the friday the 13th movies but wow longer than this? this is 4 hours long slasher movie people are serious about their doucmentaries holy cow

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I liked the bit where Freddy Kruger retracted his claws except for the middle one and it looked like he gave that blind kid the finger!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iggy Koopa posted:

i very much enjoy the friday the 13th movies but wow longer than this? this is 4 hours long slasher movie people are serious about their doucmentaries holy cow

It's about the same ratio of time per episode, but the Ft13 series is 12 movies long.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Iggy Koopa posted:

Crystal Lake Memories is nearly 7 hours long but yeah it covers 12 films

some favorites of mine that I don't think were mentioned and also aren't freddy/jason related:
Sleepaway Camp
Child's Play 2
Street Trash
The Stuff
Maximum Overdrive
Hatchet

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you want to go down the grindhouse/exploitation road the original Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave are both pretty good. If you're a sick gently caress.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i was sent home and had to change my shirt once in elementary school for wearing a nightmare on elm street shirt that said "wanna suck face"

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
loving idiots

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I once got a Saturday detention because a teacher heard me say "Jason Goes to Hell" when talking about that lovely movie with my friends. Because I said "hell."

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

TheJoker138 posted:

If you want to go down the grindhouse/exploitation road the original Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave are both pretty good. If you're a sick gently caress.

Yeah, there was a lot of rape in 70's horror movies. I mean even more than usual. The 70's really had a thing with rape.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

BeefThief posted:

In the spirit of halloween, and since ive never seen any of the nightmare on elm street movies, i just started watching them. the first one was pretty good but the second one kind of sucked and didnt make any sense. do they get better or worse?

worse always worse.

You should watch hellraiser 1 and 2.

Also definitely watch the first Wishmaster. That one is actually legit good. It's got a skeleton scene.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Which one had the dog that pissed fire?

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

E: Nightmare 2 is really good if you're into movies about being a closeted homosexual that also treat the idea of homosexuality as a literal child killing monster.

This. At the end of 2, Freddy is literally banished when the protagonist's girlfriend "saves" him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Which one had the dog that pissed fire?

Nightmare 4: The Dream Master! That scene is ridiculous, but, gently caress it. I'm watching a movie about a burned up ghost molester who kills people in dreams. It doesn't have to make sense.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New Nightmare was pathetic and anyone that can't see why should go live in a dumpster.

It was wrong from a design point. Some brilliant moron thought it would be a good idea to redesign Freddy to have a more realistic burn victim look; so there went his lips. What an idiotic choice!

That one decision forces the new actor into a state of not being able to facially emote. The new Freddy is pretty much limited to guttural yells. That's not scary. That's laughable. If you didn't laugh at new Freddy then you should go live in a dumpster.

Old Freddy was like an orca meets a seal. That seal is screwed. Sure it's going to try and get away, but that orca is just loving with it. It's going to bite here and there, let out a few squeals, flip it in the air, and let it go. Ultimately that seal is going to die just when it thinks it's getting away.

That's old Freddy. He is going to gently caress with you because THAT is your nightmare, not being able to get away, being powerless and he's going to mock you the entire time.

By changing his design to be "more realistic" they tore away what separated a standard slasher like Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers from the mental torture Freddy puts his victims through.

I mean a bear can growl and chase me and yeah I'll be scared, but if that bear started taunting me and playing with me then I would be pants-shittingly frightened. If you aren't pants-shittingly frightened by a bear that taunts you then you should go live in a dumpster.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SymfonyMan posted:

New Nightmare was pathetic and anyone that can't see why should go live in a dumpster.

It was wrong from a design point. Some brilliant moron thought it would be a good idea to redesign Freddy to have a more realistic burn victim look; so there went his lips. What an idiotic choice!

That one decision forces the new actor into a state of not being able to facially emote. The new Freddy is pretty much limited to guttural yells. That's not scary. That's laughable. If you didn't laugh at new Freddy then you should go live in a dumpster.

Old Freddy was like an orca meets a seal. That seal is screwed. Sure it's going to try and get away, but that orca is just loving with it. It's going to bite here and there, let out a few squeals, flip it in the air, and let it go. Ultimately that seal is going to die just when it thinks it's getting away.

That's old Freddy. He is going to gently caress with you because THAT is your nightmare, not being able to get away, being powerless and he's going to mock you the entire time.

By changing his design to be "more realistic" they tore away what separated a standard slasher like Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers from the mental torture Freddy puts his victims through.

I mean a bear can growl and chase me and yeah I'll be scared, but if that bear started taunting me and playing with me then I would be pants-shittingly frightened. If you aren't pants-shittingly frightened by a bear that taunts you then you should go live in a dumpster.

I dunno, I have reason to believe that a dumpster might just possibly not be the safest place for me if I'm trying to hide from a bear... :byobear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
tuesday knight

• Locked thread