Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

Well in Ironman its going to be Armor Wars II: the war-more-ing

Well, really, we're up to Armor Wars VI at this point.

Iron Man will get a really goofy 90s Gambit headsock from this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Did we know about the Genosha re-education camps from Uncanny Avengers? I don't remember that poo poo coming up at all in WATXM, Storm, All-New or Uncanny X-Men prior to this. :catstare: I only list those because those're the X books I'm reading right now, though I'm an issue or two behind in Uncanny and All-New.

Just Uncanny Avengers and Magneto, though Skull and his S-Men have been shown gathering power in Captain America, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncanny and All-new will not tie into this at all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maybe it's just that my standards for event comics are incredibly low (and given how bad they usually are, I think that feeling is justified) but I liked this. It gets right into the action, which is something I appreciate because usually the first issue of this kind of thing is spent pushing "LOOK HOW HIGH THE STAKES ARE"; although granted, a lot of the setup for this was done in two books that I'm reading already (Uncanny A. and Magneto).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Did we know about the Genosha re-education camps from Uncanny Avengers? I don't remember that poo poo coming up at all in WATXM, Storm, All-New or Uncanny X-Men prior to this. :catstare: I only list those because those're the X books I'm reading right now, though I'm an issue or two behind in Uncanny and All-New.

It was largely featured in the latest issue of Magneto.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

It was largely featured in the latest issue of Magneto.

Aah, okay. Figures it only turns up in the stuff I'm not reading, haha. I knew Uncanny and All-New didn't have tie in issues but it still feels a little weird to have 0 mention of something seemingly major to mutantkind as a whole get mentioned. Oh well! Comics!

I think this issue probably reads a lot better for people reading the books it's specifically spinning out of. As it is, I was confused and didn't much like it. (The only book that's tying in to it that I read is Loki, which didn't have anything to do with #1 here.)

But yeah, thanks everyone for clearing it up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What the gently caress did I just read? Its Rick Remender so I guess I should expect it to be a few shades left of a fever dream.

Red Skull is now a 40ft tall demon with massive psionic powers stolen from Xavier's brain. Uh, ok. Oh and Magneto killed him but that's why he's 40ft tall now and calls himself Red Onslaught :rolleyes:

Red Skull fired up a death camp in Genosha and no one noticed...well he does have psionic powers so there's that. But you figure SHIELD woulda run some satellite sweeps...wait psionic powers again. I wonder if they work on Fury's LMDs.

Steve Rogers is old now. I guess I missed something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

What the gently caress did I just read? Its Rick Remender so I guess I should expect it to be a few shades left of a fever dream.

Red Skull is now a 40ft tall demon with massive psionic powers stolen from Xavier's brain. Uh, ok. Oh and Magneto killed him but that's why he's 40ft tall now and calls himself Red Onslaught :rolleyes:

Red Skull fired up a death camp in Genosha and no one noticed...well he does have psionic powers so there's that. But you figure SHIELD woulda run some satellite sweeps...wait psionic powers again. I wonder if they work on Fury's LMDs.

That has been known since Uncanny Avengers 4 way back when.
The old Cap happened in Remender's Captain America during the Iron Nail arc.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

coconono posted:

Steve Rogers being old is the reason Falcon's replacing him. Cap's too busy looking like Clint Eastwood and not having powers to be able to superhero it up. It's incredibly dumb. (I like Falcon as Cap conceptually, I just hate the old Steve Rogers thing. What can ya do.)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Steve Rogers being old is the reason Falcon's replacing him. Cap's too busy looking like Clint Eastwood and not having powers to be able to superhero it up. It's incredibly dumb. (I like Falcon as Cap conceptually, I just hate the old Steve Rogers thing. What can ya do.)

Remender wants to do his own Replace Cap story but doesn't want to retread the guy before him completely, so instead of "killing" Cap he's just making him old.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It's also kinda dumb because there is basically no way for it to end that isn't kinda racist, Sam either dies and proves himself less competent then a white guy or he steps down and acknowledges he's less competent then a white guy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

It's also kinda dumb because there is basically no way for it to end that isn't kinda racist, Sam either dies and proves himself less competent then a white guy or he steps down and acknowledges he's less competent then a white guy.

Or he says that Steve is Cap and he is Falcon, and he is more happy being Falcon.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Or he says that Steve is Cap and he is Falcon, and he is more happy being Falcon.

Exactly, I mean the only reason he took up being Cap is because Steve can't. If Steve gets back to normal I can see him saying "Well, you're back to normal so I can go back to being Falcon".

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

Going back to Axis - I'm really not liking Sam's outing as Cap in this book at all. The first introduction we get to him leading the team is ... him under Onslaught's influence, insulting his own teammates. I know there's ~mind control~ bullshit happening, but it just seems like a really bad way to partly introduce the guy who's replacing Captain America.

I do think he can just step down when Steve is de-aged or whatever the hell; that's not necessarily going to mean he's less competent, just that Steve came first and he's (hopefully) willing to respect that. If that's what they do, I mean. Stepping down doesn't mean he's not as good, I don't think. v :) v

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, still kinda racist "I'm much happier where I belong as a secondary character."

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm not intimately familiar with Falcon and the Avengers, or even most of Cap. But Falcon has a pretty long history with the Avengers and you would've thought that he'd get a bit more respect, especially since most of the Avengers used in Axis are from the more classic era of Avengers and not a lot of the "new" ones.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't see why that's inherently racist. Steve Rogers IS Captain America, not just in terms of marketing but in terms of the perception of people in the Marvel Universe. `Steve can't be Captain America any more because he's all old and stuff. That's the only reason Steve isn't Captain America, and I assume everyone realizes that, Falcon included. If he ever recovers, it's kind of contrived for Steve to go "no man you got this, I'm just going to chill over here."

Like, if there was a white President and a black Vice President and the white president gets shot and is in a coma for a few months, and the black vice president serves as acting president. Then the white president fully recovers and takes back the title. That's not inherently racist. It's also codified in law in a way the succession of Captain Americas isn't, but still.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah, still kinda racist "I'm much happier where I belong as a secondary character."

Given how many fans came out of the Winter Soldier movie raving about Anthony Mackie's performance, I would be very surprised if the Falcon's tenure as Cap does not end with at least a strong attempt at a Falcon ongoing series, timed to coincide with the character's reappearance in one film or another.

I do think that Sam Wilson in the comics suffers from the "Hawkman/Angel problem," in that he's the guy who flies in a group full of people who can fly and do a few other things as well. It's why he doesn't stick around the Avengers very often. Al Ewing, conversely, used him very well if sporadically in Mighty Avengers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man, I really didn't like this issue. The non-stop quips, the art, the scattershot nature of the plot. Whatever the gently caress happened with Scarlet Witch who is The Worst Character. Barf.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

That has been known since Uncanny Avengers 4 way back when.
The old Cap happened in Remender's Captain America during the Iron Nail arc.

I should probably read more Uncanny Avengers. I've only been following it on MU.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

coconono posted:

I should probably read more Uncanny Avengers.

No, don't.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

No, do. See if you like it. It's pretty enjoyable, IMO.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

No, do. See if you like it. It's pretty enjoyable, IMO.

It is. Same wit Magneto. So how this issue bombed for me is a mystery. Also: where the gently caress did Cyclops, Quire and Evan come from?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncanny Avengers is a bunch of unlikeable people not even acting in character spouting off dumb poo poo and undoing a whole bunch of character growth. Did you like Rogue learning to control her powers? TOO BAD!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Soonmot posted:

It is. Same wit Magneto. So how this issue bombed for me is a mystery. Also: where the gently caress did Cyclops, Quire and Evan come from?

I'm still saying psychic manipulation. It makes absolutely no sense that they'd be all "RAH RAH! GO TEAM X-MEN!" now even though they've had multiple chances to do so previously with disastrous results.

Well, no reason except for...well, I got nothing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm still saying psychic manipulation. It makes absolutely no sense that they'd be all "RAH RAH! GO TEAM X-MEN!" now even though they've had multiple chances to do so previously with disastrous results.

Well, no reason except for...well, I got nothing.

I know, that's what I was thinking, except it keeps going meaning that half the issue is some sort of psychic illusion which makes even less sense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow this comic was pretty lovely. :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was thinking of all the late 80s, 90's retreads in this issue, this is what I've come up with so far:

Havok vs Cyclops - Inferno & X-tinction Agenda
X-Men get kidnapped - X-tinction Agenda
Bad Guy Reveals new Sentinels - Onslaught/Zero Tolerance
Bad Guy is Reborn in new body after having been thought dead - X-Tinction Agenda,
Psionic Interference/Jamming - X-Cuitioner's Song, Onslaught
Using Powerful Mutants for their power against their will - Days of Future Present, Onslaught, The Twelve

There's got to be more.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

SirDan3k posted:

Lke half a dozen white guys have been Cap (and Batman) and stepped down. Was it racist when Tony took Ironman back from Rhodey? There's tons of "kinda racist" stuff in comics but you're reaching here.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PaybackJack posted:

I was thinking of all the late 80s, 90's retreads in this issue, this is what I've come up with so far:

Havok vs Cyclops - Inferno & X-tinction Agenda
X-Men get kidnapped - X-tinction Agenda
Bad Guy Reveals new Sentinels - Onslaught/Zero Tolerance
Bad Guy is Reborn in new body after having been thought dead - X-Tinction Agenda,
Psionic Interference/Jamming - X-Cuitioner's Song, Onslaught
Using Powerful Mutants for their power against their will - Days of Future Present, Onslaught, The Twelve

There's got to be more.

I think the similarities to Onslaught are very much intentional.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Given how many fans came out of the Winter Soldier movie raving about Anthony Mackie's performance, I would be very surprised if the Falcon's tenure as Cap does not end with at least a strong attempt at a Falcon ongoing series, timed to coincide with the character's reappearance in one film or another.

I do think that Sam Wilson in the comics suffers from the "Hawkman/Angel problem," in that he's the guy who flies in a group full of people who can fly and do a few other things as well. It's why he doesn't stick around the Avengers very often. Al Ewing, conversely, used him very well if sporadically in Mighty Avengers.

Shift Sam from a straight up rock em sock em superhero to a supporting cast member that does "The dirty work" ala bucky/black widow. Or alternatively use him as a spoiler for that kind of character. Someone who works in the shadows against others who do the same.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'll admit things picked up this week, and the ending made me very interested in the next issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kdrudy posted:

I'll admit things picked up this week, and the ending made me very interested in the next issue.

We also know what causes the inverse to occur. Thanks a lot Wanda.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kdrudy posted:

This. The systematic stomping of the recent Tony Stark will never not be satisfying to me. Also the latest Loki, and the splash page at the end of Axis were loving awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I enjoyed how after shutting down Namor in New Avengers, Magneto asks Doom for help and he's like "yeah all right also Loki says yes too"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I enjoyed how after shutting down Namor in New Avengers, Magneto asks Doom for help and he's like "yeah all right also Loki says yes too"

He was the first person he asked.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

He was the first person he asked.

Well, no, but Magneto didn't try something first, gently caress it up, then come crying to Uncle Doom to fix the problem.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I loving love in Magneto Rogue just straight up said "I DIDN'T MEAN THAT THING ABOUT YOU BEING WORSE THAN A NAZI"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

Well, no, but Magneto didn't try something first, gently caress it up, then come crying to Uncle Doom to fix the problem.

Technically he did. Magneto tried killing the Red Skull and it ended up causing Red Onslaught. Then he tried to help the Avengers and X-Men fight them and when that failed (Thanks for that Obama Nova!) he went to Doom.

Still despite all that, I can easily see why Doom and Loki are totally happy to stop what they are doing and go help Magneto. I mean, it's not like he's Namor or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I think it's that when Namor came to Doom he's broken and a shell of the man he used to be. Magneto has made a mistake but he's owning up to it and ready to face it full on. I guess Namor should have gotten a pep talk from a former victim before going to Doom.

• Locked thread