Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What I want to know is, if they're apparently not mutants ... how were they never tested for the X-gene or whatever? Did no one bother doing that ever, for real? :psyduck:

Do you really want to be the person to try and stick Wanda?

Sramaker posted:

So in other words they made an even dumber retcon of a dumb retcon?

Marvel101.txt

Eh, it's really more a DealingwithFox101.txt remember we had a lawsuit over the use of the word mutant and each side wanting to use the two characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Do you really want to be the person to try and stick Wanda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJRkj9DP9Y

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shawn posted:

Pretty sure Pietro losing his powers was psychological like Iceman he got them back in the Quick and the Dead by believing in himself. Which is a lovely explanation of that comic which was actually really good.

Don't worry I'm sure there's a terrible explanation coming up where he'll have really just got his powers back from when he mutated himself with the Terrigan Mists, technically making him an Inhuman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I guess all those times Sentinels detected them as mutants were just glitches in the system.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

Don't worry I'm sure there's a terrible explanation coming up where he'll have really just got his powers back from when he mutated himself with the Terrigan Mists, technically making him an Inhuman.

Eh works for me.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lurdiak posted:

I guess all those times Sentinels detected them as mutants were just glitches in the system.

Their inhuman power is that they have the X-Gene.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Sentinels have always been stupidly bad at their jobs.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
If they turn out to be non-mutants does that make Magneto's Brotherhood more progressively inclusive of non-mutants than Xavier's X-Men?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Sentinels have always been stupidly bad at their jobs.

They're the ED-209s of the Marvel universe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

wizardstick posted:

If they turn out to be non-mutants does that make Magneto's Brotherhood more progressively inclusive of non-mutants than Xavier's X-Men?
The X-Men have included Longshot, who isn't a mutant. Also Warlock, if we count the New Mutants.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

irlZaphod posted:

The X-Men have included Longshot, who isn't a mutant. Also Warlock, if we count the New Mutants.

There was also Mimic.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

What you're implying is now what I consider the canonical reason for Y the last man. No more sticking!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

irlZaphod posted:

Warlock is a mutant with the mutant power of friendliness and empathy which isn't normal in his race.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
The Inhumans were a pretty tiny population until recently, right? Probably a large degree of consanguinity there? My point is, Luna's parents are probably cousins. It's the creeping Ultimization of the 616!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The Inhumans were a pretty tiny population until recently, right? Probably a large degree of consanguinity there? My point is, Luna's parents are probably cousins. It's the creeping Ultimization of the 616!
I'm not a geneticist and it was an isolated city in the mountains and/or moon, but the population of Attilan was definitely a CITY, probably with tens of thousands of Inhumans total. Though according to an unsourced line on Wikipedia there are 1,230 Inhumans which sounds absurdly low. I guess 1200 people living in isolation would be fairly inbred? I'm not sure how a population hovering around 1000 people has developed an elaborate caste system and what not, but who knows, I'm not a sociologist either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Does that estimate include the... oh what are they called... Alpha... humanites?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Alpha Primitives.

Probably not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aren't those guys like guys that fail to respond to Terrigen or something?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lurdiak posted:

Aren't those guys like guys that fail to respond to Terrigen or something?

They don't fail to respond. Instead of becoming unique they become a drone as part of a hive mind essentially. It's like you go into a cocoon and you either come out a butterfly or a bee. Inhuman society thinks being a bee is bad so they get thrown into the caverns to become a worker for the betterment of the butterflies. A bit of an oversimplification perhaps, but I haven't read everything ever written about them.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PaybackJack posted:

They don't fail to respond. Instead of becoming unique they become a drone as part of a hive mind essentially. It's like you go into a cocoon and you either come out a butterfly or a bee. Inhuman society thinks being a bee is bad so they get thrown into the caverns to become a worker for the betterment of the butterflies. A bit of an oversimplification perhaps, but I haven't read everything ever written about them.

I think the Alpha Primitives aren't brought up much anymore. It's a little tricky to tell the story of a bunch of heroes if they are also a bunch of creepy racists who keep anyone who's not as capable of them in their collective basement as slaves.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"I'm married to my cousin and everything you've seen was built by slaves. Aren't we cool, you new guys should totally join u.....guys? Guys?!"

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

rkajdi posted:

I think the Alpha Primitives aren't brought up much anymore. It's a little tricky to tell the story of a bunch of heroes if they are also a bunch of creepy racists who keep anyone who's not as capable of them in their collective basement as slaves.

Agents of Shield just turned one of its secondary characters into an Alpha Primitive (though it seems they're working on a story where they get him back to himself. Maybe even happened already) so heeere we go. Inhumans are just creepier than mutants. There's a lot of creepy stuff there.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nobby posted:

Agents of Shield just turned one of its secondary characters into an Alpha Primitive (though it seems they're working on a story where they get him back to himself. Maybe even happened already) so heeere we go. Inhumans are just creepier than mutants. There's a lot of creepy stuff there.

You know, I didn't even make the Alpha Primitive connection in Agents of SHIELD until you made it. And of course they chose to do it to one of the black guys. It's not like there's not a bunch of baggage there or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rkajdi posted:

You know, I didn't even make the Alpha Primitive connection in Agents of SHIELD until you made it. And of course they chose to do it to one of the black guys. It's not like there's not a bunch of baggage there or something.

I think it was more he was on another tv show.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I think it was more he was on another tv show.

You're actually think of Triplett, who they just up and killed. Mack was the one turned into an Alpha Primitive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

You're actually think of Triplett, who they just up and killed. Mack was the one turned into an Alpha Primitive.

The last scene made it seem like ones the mist hit, he was back to normal.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The last scene made it seem like ones the mist hit, he was back to normal.

In an interview that was either posted in BSS TV or the TV IV thread, the show's producers really say pretty clearly Triplett was killed. But it probably wasn't the mist that killed him, but the shard of crystal going through him.

VVV Oops my bad.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 15, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

In an interview that was either posted in BSS TV or the TV IV thread, the show's producers really say pretty clearly Triplett was killed. But it probably wasn't the mist that killed him, but the shard of crystal going through him.

I know that. That comment was about Mack.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notthegoatseguy posted:

I thought Mack was a lighter skinned black guy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well Axis Carnage ended on a stupid note.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is Axis almost over? It feels like nothing has actually happened and the event has meandered around pointlessly.

I guess the purpose is to shoehorn in some retcons or something?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It' doesn't even seem to be retcons it's literally the Scarlet Witch going "gently caress you dad we are Inhumans now and you aren't our dad anymore."

What do you call it when a reality warper changes stuff? Retwarps? Warpcons?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

I guess you could say she bendis reality to her whims?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

This isn't even a slow descent into garbage writing like Bendis. This is someone (to me anyway) coming off of great runs from Uncanny X-Force and Venom, and pretty good runs with Punisher and Secret Avengers, to writing mundane boring stories (at best) or writing complete, absolute garbage at worst. Is there some Marvel Event curse where good writers just turn into bad writers?

I guess I'll just go drown myself in hobopiss.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spiderdrake posted:

I call it bullshit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was making a pun :(

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is there some Marvel Event curse where good writers just turn into bad writers?
I think so, yeah. Fraction's worst writing is Fear Itself, and while people like Infinity it definitely isn't as good as Hickman is doing right now. Original Sin has like, maybe a third the usual Aaron charm - Aaron is pretty variable to begin with, but I think it definitely falls in his bottom third.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spiderdrake posted:

I think so, yeah. Fraction's worst writing is Fear Itself, and while people like Infinity it definitely isn't as good as Hickman is doing right now. Original Sin has like, maybe a third the usual Aaron charm - Aaron is pretty variable to begin with, but I think it definitely falls in his bottom third.

Whoops i was trying to quote

SirDan3k posted:

It' doesn't even seem to be retcons it's literally the Scarlet Witch going "gently caress you dad we are Inhumans now and you aren't our dad anymore."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait doesn't that have Hitler Lincoln fight and Cap beating the poo poo out of Assange? God I really need to read that since I have MU now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nobby posted:

Agents of Shield just turned one of its secondary characters into an Alpha Primitive

Eh, that really seems like a stretch from anything we saw on screen. He wasn't even exposed to the crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Spiderdrake posted:

Might be because event books are overladen with edicts, people deciding for you, compromises and lists of what you can't do, making it not much fun to write.

• Locked thread