Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
checkbox pole
yospos bithc
catte
rip stebe
comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

DaNzA posted:

with bunch of signals and some joint-station-distance adjustment you can setup something like this

one large station for cargo exchange connected by a bunch of trunk lines

but this is the kind of stuff that prevents me from playing due to :effort:

edit: tbf i think the guy build that exchange with the copy/paste thing where you can pre-build a bunch of setup and just place them in one go

this is why i said find the shortest route between an oil patch and refinery, that poo poo prints money without all the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

i had no problem with streets vs. roads or two sizes of police station because these are actually things that have to be dealt with and balanced in real cities

but that doesn't make a fun game

it would be like taking a break from a starcraft battle and having to play a mini game where you go to the widow's house every time a marine is killed in battle

it's more accurate at the direct expense of fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

but that doesn't make a fun game

it would be like taking a break from a starcraft battle and having to play a mini game where you go to the widow's house every time a marine is killed in battle

it's more accurate at the direct expense of fun

I'm not seeing how it makes the game any less fun actually

it's a simulation game. would you say that a flight simulator is less fun if it requires you to hit the right speeds and set your flaps properly on landing than if you can just point the plane at the ground and press forwards?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not seeing how it makes the game any less fun actually

it's a simulation game. would you say that a flight simulator is less fun if it requires you to hit the right speeds and set your flaps properly on landing than if you can just point the plane at the ground and press forwards?

for a general audience? absolutely. i would say that's the reason saints row is more popular than x-plane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh ok so you're the guy they made simcity 5 for then.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I prefer simtown :kiddo:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
is there simgoat yet to combat the precedent of mockery goat simulations with a legitimate, balanced and realistic goat simulation?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

simcity4 performance protip: set it to software rendering mode

seriously. sc4 apparently relied upon a bunch of old hacky bullshit that no video card supports anymore

modern cpus can handle sc4 just fine. oh yeah also set the processor affinity to one core.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

SO DEMANDING posted:

seriously. sc4 apparently relied upon a bunch of old hacky bullshit that no video card supports anymore

modern cpus can handle sc4 just fine. oh yeah also set the processor affinity to one core.

this

also there's some third party patch that fixes all of the goofy broken traffic ai (which was actually never as bad as 2013 sim city traffic ai lol)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

well yeah, but because the solution to sc4's performance problems is "prevent it from using 3/4 of your cpu and 100% of your massively powerful video card" even a modern processor will choke and die when your city gets past a certain size.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

The Mad Archivist posted:

once a long time ago I got a bundle pack of like all the sim games, one I got (and lost) but haven't heard mentioned so far:

supposedly a real POS of a game despite the promising premise

also simfarm bros represent, I sucked at that game lol

it was terrible but nice to see your cities in 3d i guess

a while ago i was playing either simtower or yoot tower i forget which and i went onto the wayback machine to have a look at the old websites for it and managed to download some sick new shops and stuff that the developer had offered for free on the official site

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Bloody posted:

wow transport tycoon looks spergy

the timetable stuff is terrible like you have to do everything manually, not worth bothering with it's so much effort

they've been developing for ten years and it's open sores and they could have added literally anything and they haven't yet managed to add in auto seperation or anything like that to make timetabling not unbearable

some russian guy made a mod where you could have trains run underground on their own levels but apparently the devs weren't interested in doing anything with it lmao 'wow yes this most requested feature of all time is really not worth doing anything with here even though some guy has basically made it for us'

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Metrication posted:

it was terrible but nice to see your cities in 3d i guess

a while ago i was playing either simtower or yoot tower i forget which and i went onto the wayback machine to have a look at the old websites for it and managed to download some sick new shops and stuff that the developer had offered for free on the official site

probably yoot tower

also please send them to me

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

probably yoot tower

also please send them to me

i will see if i still have them :)

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Simcity exists to allow everything else to exist.

Simcity 2000 is a mini-documentary of my childhood. Also the best in the series at spline reticulation.

Simcity 3000 is my second least favorite in the series. If I recall correctly there were a bunch of development issues that forced them to scrap their original plans and release what was basically SC2K with updated graphics (but for some reason not as fun to play as 2K). It does have my favorite Sim music track of all time though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojQC9TNctI (SimBroadway)

Simcity 4 is my favorite in the series. I love the sense of scale you can get in the game. I think a lot of people were put off that there is a learning curve and you can't just plop poo poo willy-nilly. My only major gripe was all rivers had to be at sea level. Also I have some weird autism thing where I swear the American Beauty soundtrack belongs in this game.

Simcity 5 doesn't exist :smugbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Yes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
sim city 4 might have a good game somewhere inside it but why do all maxis games have an absolutely unusable UI since the sims came out

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Metrication posted:

the timetable stuff is terrible like you have to do everything manually, not worth bothering with it's so much effort

they've been developing for ten years and it's open sores and they could have added literally anything and they haven't yet managed to add in auto seperation or anything like that to make timetabling not unbearable

some russian guy made a mod where you could have trains run underground on their own levels but apparently the devs weren't interested in doing anything with it lmao 'wow yes this most requested feature of all time is really not worth doing anything with here even though some guy has basically made it for us'

do the devs even do anything or is it basically just a few years of bugfixes at this point? i'd bet the devs actually like it like that.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i played cities xl not long ago and it was p dece but idk it didnt trigger my autism as hard sc2k/3k/et al used to

railroad tyucoon 3, however,

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Bloody posted:

what is with nerds turning indie games into awful programming languages and pretending thats a good thing
its ridiculous and more fun than arguing about duck typing for 5 pages on an internet comedy forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pointers posted:

its ridiculous and more fun than arguing about duck typing for 5 pages on an internet comedy forum

can you duck debug a duck typed language?

• Locked thread