Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
checkbox pole
yospos bithc
catte
rip stebe
comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
sim tower was an ownage game. condos were fail as hell. .if you didnt plan your basement properly you couldnt plop down a subway. and gently caress you r whole endgame lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my towers were basically 100% offices with food courts in the lobby levels and a hotel at the top so unfortunately it has little replay value

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol if you didn't get the cathedral on the top

also the thing that bugged me the most was just that you couldn't build two towers side by side. there's tons of space, why can't i have a commercial tower and a condo tower connected by, say, an underground passageway past the recycling center

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because its sim tower you dumbshit not sim towers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there's an ios port of yoot tower op. you DO own an apple product, right?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

this is bc sim tower was developed originally as a skyscraper elevator scheduling simulator and then the guy was like "this is kinda fun building a tower actually"

it explains why the elevators had such ridiculously spergy detail when other stuff like hotel rooms and offices all you could do was set the price

i never understood anything about that elevator shaft properties dialog except setting the home floor of the cars, which made at least a little sense

Sagebrush posted:

lol if you didn't get the cathedral on the top

also the thing that bugged me the most was just that you couldn't build two towers side by side. there's tons of space, why can't i have a commercial tower and a condo tower connected by, say, an underground passageway past the recycling center

you can do this in Yoot Tower and I think they have sky bridges too

pram posted:

because its sim tower you dumbshit not sim towers

the manual actually says this figuratively, trying to be cool like the sc2k manual but failing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you could have skybridges in simtower too but they were useless since uh you couldn't build two towers next to each other

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i think you could build one common base and then build multiple 'towers' on top of that but i think that also would turn all the people in the tower red pretty easily

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

still holding out for the sim ant remake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fax Sender posted:

i think you could build one common base and then build multiple 'towers' on top of that but i think that also would turn all the people in the tower red pretty easily

nah...you could build one big base and then only build the tower up on half of it, but as soon as you put a block in on the other side of the base it would fill all the space in between with empty floors.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my parents bought me simcopter to play on the family's 133mhz pentium.

presumably they assumed it was a nice, non-violent game. my mom wasn't too thrilled when i gleefully showed her how I could drop passengers out of the helicopter in midair in exchange for a small fine

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i was a nerd childe. my primary activities on my already-ancient pentium laptop that my uncle gave me were:

• conway's game of life
  • yoot tower
  • star trek starship creator
  • listening to MIDIs

anyway here's yoot tower

http://www.xtcabandonware.com/game/1666/yoot-tower

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

atomicthumbs posted:

i was a nerd childe. my primary activities on my already-ancient pentium laptop that my uncle gave me were:

• conway's game of life
  • yoot tower
  • star trek starship creator
  • listening to MIDIs

anyway here's yoot tower

http://www.xtcabandonware.com/game/1666/yoot-tower

I'm the seedy advertising

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i heard them announcing a new rct
the first game im really excited for in years tbh

being a cms fan is sad as gently caress these days
anyone wanna try and get a startopia multiplayer game running???

anyone????

????

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

trip report: yoot tower working perfectly in windows 95 compatibility mode

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
good to see i'm not the only person who disagrees with rip stebe

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pram posted:

my towers were basically 100% offices with food courts in the lobby levels and a hotel at the top so unfortunately it has little replay value

lol if you didn't have your hotels on the lower levels so you could run one service elevator to the recycling centers and also have it serve your hotels so you don't have to waste one of your limited elevators on a second service elevator

just lol

~Coxy posted:

i never understood anything about that elevator shaft properties dialog except setting the home floor of the cars, which made at least a little sense

standard floor departure explains itself, it's how long the elevator waits before moving

floors closer than moving cars means if there is a car waiting within X floors, the stationary car will take it, otherwise a moving car will take it

lower numbers = more cars moving at a time

~Coxy posted:

you can do this in Yoot Tower and I think they have sky bridges too

yoot tower owns

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I have yoot tower for my iPad but it's kinda sketchy and I fear it's gonna stop being supported

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

standard floor departure explains itself, it's how long the elevator waits before moving

floors closer than moving cars means if there is a car waiting within X floors, the stationary car will take it, otherwise a moving car will take it

lower numbers = more cars moving at a time

problem being all these are magic numbers that you just have to mess with and see if wait times get worse or better
or maybe I just sucked

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

teen bear posted:

fight
behaviour: fighting
carrying: nothing

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

~Coxy posted:

problem being all these are magic numbers that you just have to mess with and see if wait times get worse or better
or maybe I just sucked

yeah and you could set it for like 6 or 8 different time periods on weekdays and also 6 or 8 different time periods on weekends

elevators were the worst part of sim tower

also i never found an answer to this: a sim won't take more than 2 elevators, or one other method (stairs/escalator) then elevator so it's literally impossible to get from a non-express elevator floor to another non-express elevator floor

like i managed to figure that out as a child, but the game still throws warming messages like "people on floor 3 can't get to floor 37" when it's literally impossible in the game mechanics

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

teen bear posted:

i'm the laser spider

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i finally fished out my old copy of sim city 3000

it's not bad and so far way better than sim city 4 (a.k.a. slider simulator)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
hey ladies

want to see my... sim tower?? :pervert:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

yeah and you could set it for like 6 or 8 different time periods on weekdays and also 6 or 8 different time periods on weekends

elevators were the worst part of sim tower

also i never found an answer to this: a sim won't take more than 2 elevators, or one other method (stairs/escalator) then elevator so it's literally impossible to get from a non-express elevator floor to another non-express elevator floor

like i managed to figure that out as a child, but the game still throws warming messages like "people on floor 3 can't get to floor 37" when it's literally impossible in the game mechanics

just checked, and you're right but there's ALSO the express options :psyduck:

and the Simulate option which seems useful but I must have skipped over it as a non technical childe

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

~Coxy posted:

just checked, and you're right but there's ALSO the express options :psyduck:

and the Simulate option which seems useful but I must have skipped over it as a non technical childe

i never figured out the simulate option, it seemed like it just paused the game

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

the manual doesn't explain it well but it sounds like it will show you how the rest of the current time period would look with the elevator settings you've messed with

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i still have my sim tower cd somewhere but iirc its 16-butt so it doesnt work with wine on os x

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i still have my sim tower cd somewhere but iirc its 16-butt so it doesnt work with wine on os x

works fine for me in the classic environment on my powerbook

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i never had problems playing sim tower as a kid, i think i just accidentally figured out the most ownage pattern of condos/offices/hotel rooms and it was really easy to manage elevators even leaving them on default settings.

i would do two floors of condos, two floors of offices, then i'd always put two floors of hotel rooms above each sky lobby. repeat forever.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

two floors of hotel rooms above each sky lobby.

lol if you didn't have your hotels on the lower levels so you could run one service elevator to the recycling centers and also have it serve your hotels so you don't have to waste one of your limited elevators on a second service elevator

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
A f2p mobile version that gives 10 floors free with the option to purchase extra floors that are accessible as long as you can reach the authentication servers

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

you could just use stairs in my setup, hth

lol at spending elevators at all on service staff

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

A f2p mobile version that gives 10 floors free with the option to purchase extra floors that are accessible as long as you can reach the authentication servers

hnnnnnnnnngggggggaaaaaaaaaaafgdgdhdfgdg bbsafdk fs :barf:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SO DEMANDING posted:

hnnnnnnnnngggggggaaaaaaaaaaafgdgdhdfgdg bbsafdk fs :barf:

Aunt Doris just rode an elevator in FaceTower! Click here to play!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

works fine for me in the classic environment on my powerbook

post it and i will use sheepshaver or basilisk

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I wish you were there for the last minutes of the Twin Towers, OP.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

actually on that note why hasn't someone made a "transparent" version of sheepshaver that works exactly like classic did. seems like that would be cool and useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

flakeloaf posted:

Aunt Doris just rode an elevator in FaceTower! Click here to play!

Elevators use an energy system so she needs those referrals or she will break and buy more EleCreds

• Locked thread