Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
checkbox pole
yospos bithc
catte
rip stebe
comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

its a loving time machine :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

simisle was good, but i always went bankrupt when my tribes became towns

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bloody posted:

just look at that box art

lmao

hoggish greedly and looten plunder are back and better than better than ever

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
got system 7.5.3 running in basilisk II tonight so i can play the best sim city game ever made :smug:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody posted:

just look at that box art

lmao

the simisle manual didn't make any sense to me but looking back on it i'm pretty sure it was just cynical and i was too young to understand

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that cover is 90s as gently caress

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
transport tycoon is one of the few games that i completely sucked at yet loved playing

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
once a long time ago I got a bundle pack of like all the sim games, one I got (and lost) but haven't heard mentioned so far:

supposedly a real POS of a game despite the promising premise

also simfarm bros represent, I sucked at that game lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it didnt really have much to it. you could drive around your sc2k map and thats pretty much it. simcopter was far better

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
simcopter let you drive around your cities AND play WAV files of your favorite CD rips AND put out fires and crap

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the sc3k soundtrack was so good. im probably gonna go find all my maxis poo poo and reinstall it and maybe rct too.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i have big time aspergers for maxis and maxis style games. mayb i'll figure out TTD too

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the sc3k soundtrack was so good. im probably gonna go find all my maxis poo poo and reinstall it and maybe rct too.
There's a SC3000 soundtrack playlist on Spotify.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
How the heck do you play yoot tower, I made a big rear end lobby and then a hotel lobby and some rooms on top, it tells me all the rooms are unconnected? I added elevators and it didn't help

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fib posted:

How the heck do you play yoot tower, I made a big rear end lobby and then a hotel lobby and some rooms on top, it tells me all the rooms are unconnected? I added elevators and it didn't help

build a front desk somewhere accessible (i.e. first floor above/below lobby) and wait a day, or connect them manually in the front desk dialog immediately. don't forget housekeeping. also you'll want more than just elevators for transit, wait times are killer with large populations

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

transport tycoon is one of the few games that i completely sucked at yet loved playing
in sim tower you micromanage the elevator and in transport tycoon you micromanage the signals

basically you use signals to setup a station that can take have multiple trains at the same time so you can tell the train to do something like 'wait till the cargo is full' while have another train running

also with signals you can have a trunk line with two rails for both directions, then connect them together with proper signals so you can have a bunch of trains all going using the same trunk line before branching off to their destination

add more lines if your trunk line is congested with proper signals so trains can switch between them with ease

https://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_signalling_examples

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Mad Archivist posted:

once a long time ago I got a bundle pack of like all the sim games, one I got (and lost) but haven't heard mentioned so far:

supposedly a real POS of a game despite the promising premise

also simfarm bros represent, I sucked at that game lol

i said it on the first page

it owned, it was fun to fly in your car

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DaNzA posted:

in sim tower you micromanage the elevator and in transport tycoon you micromanage the signals

basically you use signals to setup a station that can take have multiple trains at the same time so you can tell the train to do something like 'wait till the cargo is full' while have another train running

also with signals you can have a trunk line with two rails for both directions, then connect them together with proper signals so you can have a bunch of trains all going using the same trunk line before branching off to their destination

add more lines if your trunk line is congested with proper signals so trains can switch between them with ease

https://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_signalling_examples

lol yeah good idea

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
with bunch of signals and some joint-station-distance adjustment you can setup something like this

one large station for cargo exchange connected by a bunch of trunk lines

but this is the kind of stuff that prevents me from playing due to :effort:

edit: tbf i think the guy build that exchange with the copy/paste thing where you can pre-build a bunch of setup and just place them in one go

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 11, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

enjyoed by the same type of people who build working binary computers using dwarf fortress

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTi6LG8aeK8

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i have big time aspergers for maxis and maxis style games. mayb i'll figure out TTD too

same x3000

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i have big time Asperger's

dsyp

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

enjyoed by the same type of people who build working binary computers using dwarf fortress
well now i know what im doing with christmas break

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

gog really needs simisle simearth and simlife

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

oh yeah simisle was really fun i dont remember why but i know i played a lot of it as a childe

I thought it was cool, had some dope soundtracks that were peak '90s energy music.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRZRNNQ/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp?ie=UTF8&qid=1413062636&sr=8-1

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pointers posted:

well now i know what im doing with christmas break

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Computing

highlights include

• the four disciplines of dwarven computing: fluid logic, mechanical logic, creature logic, and minecart logic
  • goblins and elves being ideal computing elements as they are immortal and cannot die of old age
  • "Invaders can cause job cancellations, and in some circuits may escape, wreaking havoc deep in your fortress. Dwarves armed with bolts and crossbows will take potshots at your computers periodically."
  • "Domestic animals are valid choices for creature logic, but come with a host of disadvantages. Many females are capable of giving birth inside of your logic gates; their children can block the closing of doors or set off pressure plates. Grazers, of course, will starve inside most logic circuits, although some special designs may be capable of supporting a grazer."
  • "Mechanical logic offers the potential for incredible speed, yet requires a medium to generate useful signals or to create delay (hence, to create repeaters), and it's hard to use gear assemblies as memory cells. Minecart logic excels at precisely these tasks. Minecart-based power-to-signal and memory are tiny and fast. Minecart-based delay is precisely tunable. The superiority of minecart logic has made water obsolete for these purposes."

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what is with nerds turning indie games into awful programming languages and pretending thats a good thing

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

found your problem

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh yeah.

prison architect was a real cool game.

then they added a redclone (lol? get it? redstone clone?). now it's probably ruined.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bloody posted:

what is with nerds turning indie games into awful programming languages and pretending thats a good thing

it's a step towards turning them into writing nintendo emulators which as we all know is an important step in a technology being seen as "good"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i started playing sim city 3000 the other day

it's much better than i remember but it's still no sim city 2000

it's still a 1000% better than sim city 4 though lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DaNzA posted:

with bunch of signals and some joint-station-distance adjustment you can setup something like this

one large station for cargo exchange connected by a bunch of trunk lines

but this is the kind of stuff that prevents me from playing due to :effort:

edit: tbf i think the guy build that exchange with the copy/paste thing where you can pre-build a bunch of setup and just place them in one go

i just can't put in that kind of effort. like every couple of years i'll bust out the original Railroad Tycoon and i'll think "dang, you know, this is a really good game. i'm not drowning in bullshit here, i'm just wheelin' and dealin' and erecting an iron empire here. god drat it bankers get cracking on that next panic already so i can lay some cheap track."

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i started playing sim city 3000 the other day

it's much better than i remember but it's still no sim city 2000

it's still a 1000% better than sim city 4 though lol

what's wrong with sc4? afaik it was the spergiest of the bunch and by that metric alone it's seen as the best. unless there's something about 3000 that i am missing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BANME.sh posted:

what's wrong with sc4? afaik it was the spergiest of the bunch and by that metric alone it's seen as the best. unless there's something about 3000 that i am missing.

well for one thing, when sc3k came out the people who installed the game on their computers could play it

e: lol nope that was sc5

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i've been playing train fever

pretty good game except when your busses need to get replaced you go bankrupt

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

"streets" versus "roads"

two different sizes of police/fire/hospital

having to slider janitor funding for everything

it's a big pile of poo poo

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

having to slider janitor funding for everything

this was the best part

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

also computers aren't yet powerful enough to run sc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had no problem with streets vs. roads or two sizes of police station because these are actually things that have to be dealt with and balanced in real cities

the thing that ruined sc4 was that it STILL doesn't run well once you get more than maybe 30,000 people, ten loving years after the game came out. other than that it's a great game.

• Locked thread