Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
checkbox pole
yospos bithc
catte
rip stebe
comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yakattak posted:

at least the elevator ai was smarter than traffic ai in sim city

this is bc sim tower was developed originally as a skyscraper elevator scheduling simulator and then the guy was like "this is kinda fun building a tower actually"

it explains why the elevators had such ridiculously spergy detail when other stuff like hotel rooms and offices all you could do was set the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but seriously i would definitely love a new version of simtower, yep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

remake indiana jones and the fate of atlantis as the fourth indiana jones movie imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol if you didn't get the cathedral on the top

also the thing that bugged me the most was just that you couldn't build two towers side by side. there's tons of space, why can't i have a commercial tower and a condo tower connected by, say, an underground passageway past the recycling center

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fax Sender posted:

i think you could build one common base and then build multiple 'towers' on top of that but i think that also would turn all the people in the tower red pretty easily

nah...you could build one big base and then only build the tower up on half of it, but as soon as you put a block in on the other side of the base it would fill all the space in between with empty floors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Bro do u even know the different platform specific cheats in 2k

You probably typed FUND in the DOS version lo

Probably zoned out 4 from a road and placed hospitals like police stations

lol if u didn't use that exploit that loaned you like a million dollars at a -25% interest rate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

tell me your SimFarm secrets

always park your tractors inside so they don't rust

tell the town to build an airport because you want the crop duster

take good care of your pigs because winning prize pig competitions are a consistent source of income that can't be hosed up by pests or drought

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

man i gotta play simfarm now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember the first time i got to 60,000 people in simcity 2000 and got the military base reward. i was so excited to get a cool air base and have the fighter jets. but then apparently i didn't have enough free land so they gave me a missile silo instead. i was 7 or 8 years old and i literally cried

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my theaters always showed MY MAN OF WAR :clint:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

~Coxy posted:

i never "got" the weirdo games like simearth and simisle

simearth makes sense more when you're older. as a kid it's not really fun. i didn't like it. picked it up later in college and found it entertaining for a while.

simisle never made any sense to me at all and i had no idea who would find it fun, turns out it's basically simresourceexploitation so i'm ok with that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would pay full new game price right now for a simant remake that was basically "all the bugs and worms and poo poo that live in your yard: the simulation" cause that would be both really fun and really educational and cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

yes my middle school had poo poo tier sim games installed in the library and none of the good ones. sim health, sim isle, sim park ftl

sim park was ok. my sister liked it a lot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"dialup" could be one of many possible speeds you know. in 1995 most people probably had a 14.4 modem or maybe a 28.8 if they were ballin, 56k wasn't around until 98 or so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hmm it's as though the game was "sim"ulating the behavior of real "ant"s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had no problem with streets vs. roads or two sizes of police station because these are actually things that have to be dealt with and balanced in real cities

the thing that ruined sc4 was that it STILL doesn't run well once you get more than maybe 30,000 people, ten loving years after the game came out. other than that it's a great game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

but that doesn't make a fun game

it would be like taking a break from a starcraft battle and having to play a mini game where you go to the widow's house every time a marine is killed in battle

it's more accurate at the direct expense of fun

I'm not seeing how it makes the game any less fun actually

it's a simulation game. would you say that a flight simulator is less fun if it requires you to hit the right speeds and set your flaps properly on landing than if you can just point the plane at the ground and press forwards?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh ok so you're the guy they made simcity 5 for then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

simcity4 performance protip: set it to software rendering mode

seriously. sc4 apparently relied upon a bunch of old hacky bullshit that no video card supports anymore

modern cpus can handle sc4 just fine. oh yeah also set the processor affinity to one core.

well yeah, but because the solution to sc4's performance problems is "prevent it from using 3/4 of your cpu and 100% of your massively powerful video card" even a modern processor will choke and die when your city gets past a certain size.

• Locked thread