Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Following ABC's 18-episode run of Commander in Chief in 2005, CBS' Madam Secretary is the latest attempt at The West Wing 2.0. Exec produced by Morgan Freeman and created by the woman who did Joan of Arcadia, the show follows a former CIA agent turned University of Virginia professor who is asked to be the Secretary of State when the incumbent dies in a (mysterious) plane crash. It is part foreign policy debate, part office politics of the highest level, and part family drama, with a dash of conspiracy thriller. As of this thread going up, 3 episodes have aired, and they are available to stream on CBS.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEu36NUWj4

Cast

Elizabeth Faulkner McCord (Tea Leoni) is Hillary Clinton Madeline Albright a SILF

Henry McCord (Tim Daly) is a theology professor at Georgetown

Russell Jackson (Zeljko Ivanek) is POTUS' Chief of Staff

Nadine Tolliver (Bebe Neuwirth) is Leo McGarry

Jay Whitman (Sebastian Arcelus) is Josh Lyman

Daisy Finch (Patina Miller) is CJ Cregg

Matt Mahone (Geoffrey Arend) is Sam Seaborn

Conrad Dalton (Keith Carradine) is POTUS

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Daaaang that's an evil looking president.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FISHMANPET posted:

Daaaang that's an evil looking president.

Former CIA.

And technically Russell is Leo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Former CIA.

And technically Russell is Leo.
Russell is POTUS Chief of Staff, sure, but when discussing this show, the Secretary is the "president" when discussing staff structure, so her chief of staff would be Leo, just like her press person would be CJ.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 7, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, uh Dalton is Hoynes/Cowboy Bob Russel, and Russel Jackson is Will?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I watched a couple episodes of this and it was surprisingly good. Not super great or anything, but better than I expected at least, largely due to the really nice cast.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This is significantly better than I expected it to be. It's no West Wing but it's better than the more recent West Wing-inspired shows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I thought the pilot was a bit weak but it seems to be getting progressively more sure of itself. That's one thing West Wing did really really well: The pilot was amazing and did a fabulous job of introducing you to everyone.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah I'm enjoying this show, but Apart from the first episode I'm no longer getting the feeling that she's new to the job and struggling in some way but with a different point of view on situations. Come the second episode and she's just doing her job, which took away from what I liked about the pilot. I just feels like there was a jump in time or something.

I'll keep watching for now, it's decent enough.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm not sold on the President. Maybe I was just spoiled by Jed Bartlet, but this guy doesn't seem all that presidential.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I predict he is the bad guy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I dont see this show as having any similarities to The West Wing except for both featuring POTUS and the intro. The West Wing was a ensemble/workplace drama that happened to be set inside the White House which made the addition of political pontification seem natural. Madame Secretary on the other hand focuses only on the titular Secretary of State (she is in 90% of the scenes). We get to know her family which I predict will continue to play a major role in the stories but we dont know how her staff interacts when she is not in the room.

But it's a decently written political drama so I'm happy with that. Atleast it's more enjoyable then the Newsroom.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I have not ever seen a single episode of The West Wing so have no comparison.
I like this, though. I hope we at least get a full season.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bellakitty posted:

I have not ever seen a single episode of The West Wing so have no comparison.

Take a couple weeks vacation and get on to it. This is inexcusable. At least watch the first 4 seasons.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
If he watches it now, it will ruin this show for him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Which one is Danny?

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Which one is Toby?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Which one is Toby?

I'd say her husband. Toby's role was mostly to hold up ideals that were not achievable, sounds like a theology prof.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Which one is Toby?

Nobody that idealistic has a place in politics anymore so nobody.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Holy poo poo this husband professor dude is a loving narcissistic monster. gently caress him.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Holy poo poo this husband professor dude is a loving narcissistic monster. gently caress him.

Is he a mysoginist too? :rolleyes: No, he's just a characture of an Ivy League tenured professor. Trust me they are actually concerned with that poo poo, but are really nice people too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Is he a mysoginist too? :rolleyes: No, he's just a characture of an Ivy League tenured professor. Trust me they are actually concerned with that poo poo, but are really nice people too.

I understand being concerned with your ethics, especially for an ethics professor... but saying your ethics are more important than someone else's life, that's narcissism.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I understand being concerned with your ethics, especially for an ethics professor... but saying your ethics are more important than someone else's life, that's narcissism.

I don't disagree, it's just not monster levels of narcissism.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It only took 4 episodes for the strange and unnecessary "Tea Leoni in a bra" shot.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

It only took 4 episodes for the strange and unnecessary "Tea Leoni in a bra" shot.

It took the West Wing not even 4 minutes to have a "Rob Lowe in shorts" shot.

I'm also calling the inevitable personal assistant/eldest daughter romance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Episode 4 was decent.

They keep dropping these little hints about the deaths of the former Secretary and that CIA friend of Elizabeth's. That sort of ongoing mystery tease seems unbecoming for this type of show. I hope it actually goes somewhere substantial, but I kinda feel like the show doesn't need it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Lord Bude posted:

Episode 4 was decent.

They keep dropping these little hints about the deaths of the former Secretary and that CIA friend of Elizabeth's. That sort of ongoing mystery tease seems unbecoming for this type of show. I hope it actually goes somewhere substantial, but I kinda feel like the show doesn't need it.

Yeah, it feels really out of place. The rest of the show seems highly idealistic and everything always ends well.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Show feels more ore like "Madame Smugretary" to me, to be honest. :smug:

There was one scene in episode one or two where Tea Leoni squinted with just her left eye while trying to look sceptic. Just trying too hard, I guess.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What they need is someone who actually likes government to write shows like this.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Matt Mahone (Geoffrey Arend) is Sam Seaborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Where do you find an evening gown with pockets in it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Where do you find an evening gown with pockets in it?
They came into style like half a dozen years ago.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

They came into style like half a dozen years ago.

Cj would never wear one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Cj would never wear one.
I'm not so sure. I could see her doing a Jessica Chastain:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I thought this was a pretty good episode. It looks like they're going for the whole plots and maneuvering as a long term arc. The West Wing succeeded very well as a show about a group of colleagues who all liked each other and worked together, but for now I'm cool with this show taking a different approach - I guess it's easier to create a compelling show this way.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Was that Chappy Sinclair in tonight's episode with a fake African accent?

He's gotten fat since Iron Eagle.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What were they smoking when they wrote the "Secretary's husband gets recruited into the NSA"?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

What were they smoking when they wrote the "Secretary's husband gets recruited into the NSA"?

I'm just glad we were deflected away from 'husband is having an affair' soap opera crap. I also don't particularly want to see the soapy crap of Daisy and Matt - Matt in particular I'm struggling to take seriously. Aside from Nadine, none of the Secretary's staff are really shining the way say, the cast of the West Wing did.

I like her family, I'm growing to like Russell and the President, but most of her staff are bland nothings.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The Lord Bude posted:

Aside from Nadine, none of the Secretary's staff are really shining the way say, the cast of the West Wing did.

Her personal assistant is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
So does football keep pushing back 60 minutes which pushes back this which screws up my DVR? I keep having to watch the last half of this on cbs.com.

I wish they would stop trying the super troopers guy and black girl romance subplot.

• Locked thread