Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Derek Jeter
This poll is closed.
YEAH JEETS 48 29.63%
NO JEETS!!! [You're da best tho] 77 47.53%
New Option for non-voters: A-Rod is the greatest 37 22.84%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

achillesforever6 posted:

There is also the philosophy in the WWE where they think the audience "only cares about the main event, so why bother with anything lower"

While I hate to bring up comic books in this thread, wrestling is pretty much a live action comic book.

There are tiers of heroes…for example, the top tier in DC is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Below that, the second-tier are heroes like the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and John Constantine. They’re not on the same power level at the top guys, but they still can mix it up with them or get involved in their storylines without messing up the power structure. Then below them, Zatana, Booster Gold, the Suicide Squad. Again, sometimes they interact with the “higher” tiers, but the power structure is still the same.

Same goes for the villains. Lex Luthor, Darkside, the Joker are on top. The Rogues, Black Adam, Black Manta, Two-Face, all fall right underneath.

Now, the guys on top are always on top, but they’re not always the focus of the big storyline. Sure, you get stuff like “Knightfall” or “The Death of Superman,” but everyone else has their own monthly comics where their stories are ongoing. And then sometimes, you get “The Sinestro Corps War,” where Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman were involved, but they took a back seat to the Green Lantern Corps vs. the Sinestro Corps…kind of like, say D-X vs. the Nation in the Attitude Era? It was only for a few months, and when the next big storyline broke, “Blackest Night,” the three were heavily involved. But by giving the second tier guys a chance to shine, it made their presence alongside of them mean more than “hey, look who else showed!”

Also, one of the biggest compliments given to “Corps War?” No overreliance on Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

With three hours, the main event tier of Cena/Orton/Rollins/Ambrose/Reigns/Lesnar/Heyman should definitely be given time. But the concept of “only the main eventers get stories” ends up shooting the WWE in the foot, because you are always going to get people who aren’t invested in the storyline, don’t care about the storyline, or are just sick of the people involved IN the storyline. And that’s why you need a second-tier to carry that weight. Don’t care for the main event? Well, you could have the Miz/Sandow and Sheamus, if Miz/Sandow were actually presented as a credible heel threat as opposed to someone even the Authority loathes if SHEAMUS was the person the Authority loathed. You have AJ/Paige, which was very interesting until the Bellas got shoved in. You had, as a good example, Swagger/Rusev, and the story now should be Swagger’s quest for redemption ala Rocky III. And, yes, you have Slater Gator vs. El Toro, which could be a decent comedy segment if the WWE’s writing (or non-committal to writing) didn’t turn the “stupidity/humiliation dial” from “3” to “11.”

Sorry, it’s a lot of words about wrestling, but it’s so frustrating to me when one sees the roster and talent depth the WWE has and they waste time on two drunk morning show hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Karl Ontario posted:

What he means is nobody who actually lives on Long Island considers Brooklyn to be "Long Island" and vice versa. If someone says they are going to Long Island, they're going to Nassau or Suffolk county. If they're going to Queens or Brooklyn, they say they're going to Queens or Brooklyn. Source: I live on Long Island. (Another distinction, live "on" Long Island, not "in" it)

This is exactly it. Lived in a New York suburb all my life, and nobody would ever say "I'm going to Long Island" if they were going to Brooklyn.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Everyone on reality TV is "kayfaybing it".

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CobiWann posted:

While I hate to bring up comic books in this thread, wrestling is pretty much a live action comic book.

please no

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Let me tell you my theory about how Dean Ambrose is WWE's version of Deadpool.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Except for Property Brothers, that show is a shoot brother

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Angular Landbury posted:

Let me tell you my theory about how Dean Ambrose is WWE's version of Deadpool.

Beyond being a wiseass riddled with diseases?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sorry, I just couldn’t think of a better example of “top card/mid card/lower card” outside of wrestling.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
I am getting the impression here that maybe I was just in a bad mood last night and Raw wasn't epically awful. That's good, I suppose. I don't know, I spend a lot of time playing devil's advocate for WWE while trying to get a few of my friends into wrestling, but putting Kathy Lee, Hota, and Adam Rose on my screen forced me to turn off Raw for the first time in three years. Thank Jeebus for all the amazing wrestling going on outside of WWE and TNA because if it weren't for that, I would need to take a break from it all again for a while.

ExplodeYourself fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 7, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can't wait for Lana and Chrisley to interact with each other. "Class not rear end Lana."

triplexpac posted:

Except for Property Brothers, that show is a shoot brother

I need an explanation for this one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

keevo posted:

I need an explanation for this one.

I just picked the most recent reality show I've watched, I'm sorry

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

keevo posted:

Can't wait for Lana and Chrisley to interact with each other. "Class not rear end Lana."

As long as it ends with "Rusev crush" I'm ok with this.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I have no difficulty believing Adam Richman is exactly the same in real life as he is on Man v Food

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CobiWann posted:

Sorry, I just couldn’t think of a better example of “top card/mid card/lower card” outside of wrestling.

Top card: Nazi Germany
Midcard: Japan
Lower card: Italy

:hitler:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Guy Fieri is as good as the Undertaker at keeping kayfabe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Solomonic posted:

I have no difficulty believing Adam Richman is exactly the same in real life as he is on Man v Food

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/07/02/adam-richman-instagram-rant-man-finds-food-show-canceled-postponed/

He melts down online, just like the rest of us.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Top card: Nazi Germany
Midcard: Japan
Lower card: Italy

:hitler:

Top tier – the United States, the Soviet Union
Second tier – Britain
Third tier – Free French
Developmental - China

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CobiWann posted:

There are tiers of heroes…for example, the top tier in DC is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Below that, the second-tier are heroes like the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and John Constantine. They’re not on the same power level at the top guys, but they still can mix it up with them or get involved in their storylines without messing up the power structure. Then below them, Zatana, Booster Gold, the Suicide Squad. Again, sometimes they interact with the “higher” tiers, but the power structure is still the same.

Same goes for the villains. Lex Luthor, Darkside, the Joker are on top. The Rogues, Black Adam, Black Manta, Two-Face, all fall right underneath.

Now, the guys on top are always on top, but they’re not always the focus of the big storyline. Sure, you get stuff like “Knightfall” or “The Death of Superman,” but everyone else has their own monthly comics where their stories are ongoing. And then sometimes, you get “The Sinestro Corps War,” where Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman were involved, but they took a back seat to the Green Lantern Corps vs. the Sinestro Corps…kind of like, say D-X vs. the Nation in the Attitude Era? It was only for a few months, and when the next big storyline broke, “Blackest Night,” the three were heavily involved. But by giving the second tier guys a chance to shine, it made their presence alongside of them mean more than “hey, look who else showed!”

Also, one of the biggest compliments given to “Corps War?” No overreliance on Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

With three hours, the main event tier of Cena/Orton/Rollins/Ambrose/Reigns/Lesnar/Heyman should definitely be given time. But the concept of “only the main eventers get stories” ends up shooting the WWE in the foot, because you are always going to get people who aren’t invested in the storyline, don’t care about the storyline, or are just sick of the people involved IN the storyline. And that’s why you need a second-tier to carry that weight. Don’t care for the main event? Well, you could have the Miz/Sandow and Sheamus, if Miz/Sandow were actually presented as a credible heel threat as opposed to someone even the Authority loathes if SHEAMUS was the person the Authority loathed. You have AJ/Paige, which was very interesting until the Bellas got shoved in. You had, as a good example, Swagger/Rusev, and the story now should be Swagger’s quest for redemption ala Rocky III. And, yes, you have Slater Gator vs. El Toro, which could be a decent comedy segment if the WWE’s writing (or non-committal to writing) didn’t turn the “stupidity/humiliation dial” from “3” to “11.”

Sorry, it’s a lot of words about wrestling, but it’s so frustrating to me when one sees the roster and talent depth the WWE has and they waste time on two drunk morning show hosts.

This is the nerdiest and dumbest post

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Karl Ontario posted:

What he means is nobody who actually lives on Long Island considers Brooklyn to be "Long Island" and vice versa. If someone says they are going to Long Island, they're going to Nassau or Suffolk county. If they're going to Queens or Brooklyn, they say they're going to Queens or Brooklyn. Source: I live on Long Island. (Another distinction, live "on" Long Island, not "in" it)

I was talking about how Ambrose's use of one of Mick Foley's signature moves may have been a tribute to him in a show taking place close to his hometown, so in that context I used the name of a geographic feature which encompasses both the location of last night's show as well as Mick's hometown rather than one or the other.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bradzilla posted:

This is the nerdiest and dumbest post

Dogg this is a wrestling forum, there ain't no room to sling nerd mud

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

So this Chrisley guy ripped off Hogan Knows Best? Is that why he's going to be on Raw?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Corzaa posted:

So this Chrisley guy ripped off Hogan Knows Best? Is that why he's going to be on Raw?
No its because USA Network wants WWE to shill their lovely reality show

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They should have Chrisley do a promo with visiting ECW Legend New Jack. That would probably end amusingly.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

They should have Chrisley do a promo with visiting ECW Legend New Jack. That would probably end amusingly.

I too would like to watch Chrisley get stabbed on live television.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, because one of them is all about men and women with godly physiques in revealing clothing, organized by a clear dichotomy of good and evil (with a few entertaining wildcards) who settle all their differences with violence, and the other is oh wait

It's a huge and obvious overlap, deal with it

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Please shut up

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, because one of them is all about men and women with godly physiques in revealing clothing, organized by a clear dichotomy of good and evil (with a few entertaining wildcards) who settle all their differences with violence, and the other is oh wait

It's a huge and obvious overlap, deal with it

it's really not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

My strong convictions about comic books and their relation to pro wrestling necessitate their use in the explanation of basic wrestling concepts to wrestling nerds in the wrestling forum. If you have a problem then DEAL WITH IT!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

pro bass fishing was always my goto when it came to wrestling analogies. there are faces who teach you valuable techniques and who do not lie about the size of their fish (bill dance, the lindners) and heels who will tell you a 5 pound bass is 10 pounds (jimmy houston, roland martin).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

godly physiques

buddha was a god I guess

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

I really liked your example and found it quite apt.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

haha yeah or what if they dug up macho man's corpse and reanimated it

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Who is the Ambush Bug of the WWE?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I really liked your example and found it quite apt.

This really says it all, doesn't it,

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dude. There's another nerd medium that understands that you can actually do poo poo with your undercard. It's pretty cut and dry.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

My eyes just gloss over when I see the word 'comic book' on this forum. It's almost as uninteresting as when somebody posts a wrestling dream they had.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

this isn't bss

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Burt Buckle posted:

My eyes just gloss over when I see the word 'comic book' on this forum. It's almost as uninteresting as when somebody posts a wrestling dream they had.
Do you do this when we talk about Guardians of the Galaxy? Because I don't read comics, but I do watch movies, and understand that you can do really cool poo poo with the B-team.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sprecherscrow posted:

I too would like to watch Chrisley get stabbed on live television.

This, but with no irony at all. If Chrisley took a bad bump and died I would hail whoever did it as pretty much Man of the Year. Every time I see his face or hear his voice or any of the words he's saying I'm filled with an irrational, uncontrollable rage and if he were to go away forever for any reason I would be pretty happy.

Also wrestling is totally a comic book, deal with it and stop living in denial you nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

This, but with no irony at all. If Chrisley took a bad bump and died I would hail whoever did it as pretty much Man of the Year. Every time I see his face or hear his voice or any of the words he's saying I'm filled with an irrational, uncontrollable rage and if he were to go away forever for any reason I would be pretty happy.

Also wrestling is totally a comic book, deal with it and stop living in denial you nerds.

I wasn't being ironic. I'm pretty much in the same boat you are.

• Locked thread