Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I didn't even know this had come out. Do goons still play this, because I would very much like to play and murder Ralith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

TheTrend posted:

I didn't even know this had come out. Do goons still play this, because I would very much like to play
We haven't started playing yet. The plan is to wait for dedicated servers and the mission editor to be released publically, so we can start having some custom coops to play and a private server to play them on. I for one would still be down for a little casual dogfighting and/or faffing around on the public servers in the mean time, though.

TheTrend posted:

and murder Ralith.
:confused:

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
Hmm I got the game for free by a stroke of luck :lumpen: and have been playing War Thunder quite heavily (Albeit only on Realistic with Mouse controls, not SIM).
Since I just picked up a HOTAS Cougar for Star Citizen I'm kinda itching to give it a whirl beyond that, so I'm up for some IL-2 also..
It's probably going to be horrible :)

Question for the Simmers:
Would it be worth it to get Pedals too?
If I had to choose between pedals and TrackIR what would you guys recommend? (I'm planning to get the Oculus Rift once it releases so that would make TrackIR redundant in a while)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer pedals over trackir because I got used to looking around with a mouse or a ministick a long time ago, but most people will tell you to get headtracking first I think, especially for a ww2 sim. If you're comfortable tracking targets, go pedals. If you lose targets because you're fumbling with view control get headtracking.

Also, don't buy trackir unless you want to support giant douches. Make your own for :10bux: or buy a cheap ripoff like delanclip if you're lazy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Also, don't buy trackir unless you want to support giant douches. Make your own for :10bux: or buy a cheap ripoff like delanclip if you're lazy.

777 is run by an ex-trackir employee, so you might want to return Rise of Flight and BoS if that's your reasoning.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

captainhowdy posted:

Question for the Simmers:
Would it be worth it to get Pedals too?
If I had to choose between pedals and TrackIR what would you guys recommend? (I'm planning to get the Oculus Rift once it releases so that would make TrackIR redundant in a while)

TrackIR will make your life so much easier than pedals if you have a twist joystick. I dunno how much pedals are but you can get a cheap rear end 20 dollar Logitec joystick that will let you twist for rudder. It sounds like you're just going to buy it all anyway so it doesn't really matter.

fwiw I use a mouse in my offhand to look around and War Thunder is the only flight sim that really truly gives you the view control options needed to make it worth it. Using the mouse in RoF/Il-2/DCS is really clunky and you will be at a bigger disadvantage against anyone using a TrackIR than anyone using pedals. Again, a cheap twist joystick gives you the same functionality of pedals, its not like a racing game where you really actually kind of need them on the floor.

If PVP isn't really your thing and you just plan on playing slower paced singleplayer type stuff then the mouse issues aren't that bad but being able to keep a visual on your opponent is extremely loving important so I would keep that in mind if you aren't good at rubbing your stomach while tapping your head, which is basically what it feels like to play with a joystick and mouselook when all you'd have to do is press 2 keys to apply full rudder and just tap them to get slight input.

Thief fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 7, 2015

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks for that detailed answer.
Sadly the Stick does not twist but I'll forgive that given the build quality :)
Guess I'll go for Pedals then and try to somehow map the looking around to one of the microsticks.

Its just that the programming software that comes with the stick is quite a PITA ;)

Cheers!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tbh I'd give up my joystick before the trackir and can't even touch a flight sim without it anymore. Its is that important. I strongly encourage getting trackir before pedals

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just for the record, my constant making GBS threads on home brew head tracking mostly stems from the fact that at least a dozen ppl I know in the past have had to deal with the dodgy build quality of their IR units and cameras that weren't up to snuff and ended up spending so much time and effort that they shoulda just bought from NaturalPoint.

Apparently for 40 bux plus shipping you can get a pro to rig up a freetrack unit.

http://www.delanengineering.com/

This might be worth trying out as it's much cheaper than TrackIR.

:siren: MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO USE THIS WITH SUPPORTS FREETRACK SOME GAMES ARE FUCKERS AND ONLY WORK WITH AN ACTUAL NATURALPOINT TRACKIR :siren:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 7, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Definitely get headtracking before rudder pedals. It's a must for being combat-effective.

Hav posted:

777 is run by an ex-trackir employee, so you might want to return Rise of Flight and BoS if that's your reasoning.
Maybe they left because they didn't like working for giant douches.

EvilJoven posted:

:siren: MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO USE THIS WITH SUPPORTS FREETRACK SOME GAMES ARE FUCKERS AND ONLY WORK WITH AN ACTUAL NATURALPOINT TRACKIR :siren:
To be clear, this is because NaturalPoint goes out of their way to make this happen. It's almost certainly not the gamedevs' intention to have limited hardware support.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ralith posted:

...and started working for 777 I?

Besides that, Track IR is the best flightsimming thing you can have. I'd rather give up my TM Warthog than my TIR.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ralith posted:

Definitely get headtracking before rudder pedals. It's a must for being combat-effective.

To be clear, this is because NaturalPoint goes out of their way to make this happen. It's almost certainly not the gamedevs' intention to have limited hardware support.

No, it is the devs intention. The ex Naturalpoint devs work for 777, and 777 only explicity supports Naturalpoint.

But holy christ, who cares. If people don't want to buy products from douches, they should go live in a cave in the woods and eat grubs. Every company on the planet is run by anti-competitive douches who wish their competitors would die and will do everything in their power to make it happen.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It used to be that it was always NaturalPoint trying to keep third parties from using their code but now that Freetrack has both it's own API as well as emulating TrackIR the developers could easily support both.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm actually surprised to hear there are ex-trackir people on the team because I feel like IL-2 has comparably bad head-tracking integration. I haven't bothered to start tweaking it and bet it can be fixed, but for example the X-axis (zoom) is way too short, yet it works fine with all my other games.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ethanol posted:

I'm actually surprised to hear there are ex-trackir people on the team because I feel like IL-2 has comparably bad head-tracking integration. I haven't bothered to start tweaking it and bet it can be fixed, but for example the X-axis (zoom) is way too short, yet it works fine with all my other games.

Well, it is literally tracking a virtual head in the game, so the "zoom" is only going to be about a foot or so. It's not meant to be a virtual zoom where you get a greatly magnified view of your target, it's supposed to be the pilot leaning a foot forward to get closer to his gunsights.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, it is literally tracking a virtual head in the game, so the "zoom" is only going to be about a foot or so. It's not meant to be a virtual zoom where you get a greatly magnified view of your target, it's supposed to be the pilot leaning a foot forward to get closer to his gunsights.

That is the other, out of two, way of doing it. Headtracking can either have the Z-axis as head movement back and forth, or the movement being a zoom axis.

Some people like leaning back and forth in the cockpit but it does not bring far-away objects closer. Other's like being able to lean into things to make them bigger.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've never sat in a ww2 fighter plane before but it defaults to having my face right up in the sight. I'm actually talking about needing to zoom out, to even be able to use the instruments. I have just been using the button that was defaulted on my saitek to zoom out a bit as part of my preflight

my default view

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okay, but that's not bad head tracking, that's just what the default is. Once you adjust your view-defaults to where you like them, the game will stick to them. It's kind of fiddly, but you have to "unlock" the head, move it where you want it, save the position, and then relock it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I just bind "pilot head zoom" to a slider on my throttle. Very useful to be able to switch around as needed for checking instruments/spotting/dogfighting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Opentrack and facetracknoir (basically better freetrack successors) now both come with a trackir.exe that just runs in the background and does absolutely nothing. ~Genuine naturalpoint tracking~ checks if this exe is running, and if it is, enables itself. DRM at its finest.

Also opentrack feels much better and is actively updated, so double win.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Woot,

I just grabbed CH Pedals off Ebay for 25€ and a PS3 Eye for a 5er so I'll just build my own Tracking thing.
Smells like victory :D

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

captainhowdy posted:

Woot,

I just grabbed CH Pedals off Ebay for 25€ and a PS3 Eye for a 5er so I'll just build my own Tracking thing.
Smells like victory :D

That's a crazy good deal. I can't find them for less that £60 over here

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Well, i was the only bidder :)
Seems to be these ones but with a gameport connector, given I use the cougar hotas with gameport that's fine for me.

http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Pedals-v13-d-716.html

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

captainhowdy posted:

Seems to be these ones but with a gameport connector
That would be why you were the only bidder. If you're equipped to deal with that, though, great!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Awesome stuff. I haven't bought BoS yet so this thread needs more lovely videos. I know how easy it is to pump them out using Shadowplay so there's no excuses!

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Teeter posted:

Awesome stuff. I haven't bought BoS yet so this thread needs more lovely videos. I know how easy it is to pump them out using Shadowplay so there's no excuses!

Here, I was super excited the other day when I shot down my first plane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4riA0D2by_o

Edit: been playing War Thunder a bunch, so I obviously understand energy fighting. This was just the first time I had to do it with a joystick. It's really fuckin' tough!

Fender fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 8, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Teeter posted:

I admit I've been having way too much fun soaking time into this game lately and using the amd shadowplay equivalent, so I thought I'd upload some video as requested. Nothing too special here, mostly just chasing around some dirty germans today.
http://youtu.be/Pt--iL4Z864 (give this 10 min to upload)
The fire/smoke effects look amazing in this game, among other things. Went back to war thunder for a bit today and, well, let's just say I went back to playing BoS pretty fast. This game's flight model and graphics are really just unmatched

ethanol fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 13, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Teeter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMMWJ3ov1g

I am seeing more and more full servers lately since the Steam sales. My main worry about this game was multiplayer inactivity. I know some people are sour about the campaign not being as good as the one in Rise of Flight but seeing as how we have multiple servers with 20+ plane furballs going on at the moment I really don't mind waiting for them to iron out everything else.

Seriously, just look at this poo poo:

Anyway here's some random clips that were sitting in my Shadowplay dump folder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjR_tzTqDao

I think its about time to finally buy a TrackIR cause this game is really fun.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I think I need to buy this game. I'm dumb for missing out on the Steam sales.

I play a ton of War Thunder but sim battles end up being more trouble than their worth a lot of the time. Seems like this can scratch that itch if it has realistic flying but simpler spotting mechanics that will encourage me to dig out the joystick more often. Full realism is great too but I would definitely need to squad up for that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The big issue is lack of dedicated servers. I don't want to have to play with jackass pubbies who suck rear end or the polar opposite; no life armchair aces that practice nothing but FW190 BnZ 14 hours a dayuntil deep vein thrombosis finally kills them.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Help. I cannot loving fight in the vertical in this game. Or really this is my first joystick WWII game poo poo this is hard.

If I Split-S from nearly any altitude I will end up skimming the trees. Skimming the trees on a good one, mostly I spin/stall out or lock up and hit the ground. I just don't have a good feel for how quickly I can pull on the elevators. Everyone else seems to be able to do poo poo I can't!

And related, I can't do vertical loops very well. The torque when you're pointing up goes all nuts and I usually end up totally losing my orientation. Any tips?

And I'm bad with trim. I understand that you have to roll a bit to correct torque, and that roll fucks up your rudder so you have to add a bit there too. But how do you tell when you've got it straight? I know something has to be hosed up with how I'm doing it because I can't fly in a straight line behind someone else who doesn't suck at trim. And I always seem to be a bit slower than everyone else/don't hold my energy well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
There are a lot of cues your plane gives you when you're pulling up too hard. Shaking, wobble, different noises, and so on. Be alert and you'll get the hang of them soon. Maybe play some free flight and do some really aggressive maneuvering to get a feel for things.

Maintaining orientation is mostly a matter of looking around a lot. This is much easier with TrackIR for obvious reasons.

It's rare for anyone to be able to trim to the point of being completely hands-off in a WWII plane. I usually just use a touch of rudder to correct torque and leave it at that. If you're falling behind people, make sure you're managing your fuel mix/prop pitch/supercharger properly, and not wasting too much energy wobbling around trying to stay perfectly in formation. Maneuver gently, and even try some high yo-yos to retain energy better if you need to make a hard turn.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 14, 2015

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Are you chopping throttle when split s-ing ? Although circumstances will vary, generally you want to do that, especially in the faster planes like the 190.

I bought this on sale at Christmas and have been pleasantly surprised so far, it still needs a lot of work though. I can't figure out the devs though - are they hoping for community to provide content, are they going to charge for every new plane and map or have they lost interest? I can't tell.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fender posted:

And I always seem to be a bit slower than everyone else/don't hold my energy well.

Maybe you're bleeding speed by gaining altitude or using the rudder. Which also may be a lot of the reason you can't do that loop, because you're too slow or rather taking too much time to do the loop. WW2 planes are rather weak in reality so you don't have much time to complete the climb portion of the loop before you stall even if you went into it with speed from a dive, so you need to be pulling pretty close to the point at which you spin out. Everything inverts when you reach 90 degrees up but you shouldn't even be focusing on that small spec of time, you should be very focused on not going into a spin. Once you are coming down and have come out of stall speed, then you should be cutting the throttle to zero because you'll pick up more than enough speed to lose control again on the dive. If you don't have much practice in yet knowing how the plane surfaces react to losing control at high and low speeds, loops will be very difficult and dangerous, just like in real life. But yeah, like you said ww2 sims are hard as gently caress and it just takes a bit of practice to know the 'edge'.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thief posted:

You should. Once you get it adjusted properly, it'll completely change the feel of dogfighting and you'll never want to go without it. I can't imagine playing Elite or IL-2 without it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shine posted:

You should. Once you get it adjusted properly, it'll completely change the feel of dogfighting and you'll never want to go without it. I can't imagine playing Elite or IL-2 without it.

Word on this. I think the first revelation when playing a flight sim with Track-IR comes when you realize that instead of getting in turning fights and following a little red blip at the edge of the screen indicating the enemies direction., you can simply look over and visually watch the enemy as you slew your plane around to bring them into sights.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I also want to be able to move my head around so I can do belly checks without having to roll the plane or level out while climbing towards someone that is under my nose. That and simply leaning my head in or out to zoom instead of using a mouse wheel... at least in War Thunder you can toggle a quick in/out with the tap of a button. It's really just a matter of money and laziness on my part. I know I'll just impulse buy it the next time I'm on Amazon but honestly most of my money goes to driving my car :rice: and that poo poo can be ridiculously expensive.

edit: I've tried that webcam face tracking bullshit and its a joke compared to just using the mouse or hat. Having actually used a IR tracker in the past I can't believe anyone would prefer the webcam over it.

I witnessed something today that I've only ever seen in DCS except this time it was under a 20 plane furball on a public TDM server. Players were using their landing and nav lights to signal that they were landing and the people fighting over them would ignore it instead of swooping down for a free kill. :yaycloud:

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thief posted:

I witnessed something today that I've only ever seen in DCS except this time it was under a 20 plane furball on a public TDM server. Players were using their landing and nav lights to signal that they were landing and the people fighting over them would ignore it instead of swooping down for a free kill. :yaycloud:

Yeah, some RoF servers have a "gentleman's agreement" like this too. Though they use flare guns to concede a dogfight.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Thief posted:

Yeah, I also want to be able to move my head around so I can do belly checks without having to roll the plane or level out while climbing towards someone that is under my nose. That and simply leaning my head in or out to zoom instead of using a mouse wheel... at least in War Thunder you can toggle a quick in/out with the tap of a button. It's really just a matter of money and laziness on my part. I know I'll just impulse buy it the next time I'm on Amazon but honestly most of my money goes to driving my car :rice: and that poo poo can be ridiculously expensive.

edit: I've tried that webcam face tracking bullshit and its a joke compared to just using the mouse or hat. Having actually used a IR tracker in the past I can't believe anyone would prefer the webcam over it.

This was pretty common for IL-2 1946 servers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMMWJ3ov1g

I am seeing more and more full servers lately since the Steam sales. My main worry about this game was multiplayer inactivity. I know some people are sour about the campaign not being as good as the one in Rise of Flight but seeing as how we have multiple servers with 20+ plane furballs going on at the moment I really don't mind waiting for them to iron out everything else.

Seriously, just look at this poo poo:

Anyway here's some random clips that were sitting in my Shadowplay dump folder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjR_tzTqDao

Thief, you always post the best videos here but then again I am heavily biased because Aesop is my favorite artist and he's been in like four of yours.

Also, yeah, get a TrackIR. I bought one from an Amazon warehouse deal for cheap and I'm a scrub. You seem to do a lot more flying than I do and can easily get your money's worth from one.