Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Thanks to vivaslacking for making it so the server won't be wiping constantly. He pm'ed me some command-line parameters that would cause the server to load the previous save and to always reload with the same seed. This also means that future wipes can be set to use a certain map if we find one we enjoy. Once again, thanks vivaslacking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I spent awhile loving around on one of the official servers seeing all the new features.

I was in my hobo hut crafting various crap for about 45 minutes, and when I came out there was a guy building some giant freaking building literally right next door to me. I waited outside for awhile for him to come out, but he was hard at work and never even stopped hammering. When I was about to walk off I noticed another door that was unlocked, so I sneaked in. It was apparently the initial structure because it was just a square metal room with his buddies sleeping in it, and all their junk crammed in best they could fit it.

Initially all did was steal their keys and try them on the other door, but none of them worked. I stomped around for awhile hoping to draw the guy working on the rest of the building out, but he didn't seem to notice. He also didn't notice when I moved all their stuff to my house. He didn't even notice when I machine gunned all his friends, cooked them up in their own camp fire, smashed their sleeping bags, and arranged their skulls neatly outside the other door. After deciding the guy was completely oblivious I basically moved in, and things proceeded more or less as normal just with an extremely noisy upstairs neighbor.

I did eventually kill the guy about two hours after I initially found the unlocked door. It was pretty anticlimactic. On one of my many frequent trips to his house I noticed him unlock the door I couldn't open and just shot him down when he opened it. The rest of the building was just a big empty room.

EDIT: Also, how does the metal armor work? Is it a damage reduction or does it just flat out negate damage if it's the armor that gets hit? I whacked one dude wearing some with a salvaged axe and it seemed to clang off without doing anything, but then I hit him in the back of the head where there wasn't any armor and he dropped dead instantly. I was wearing some as well and it seemed like a couple of the shots he fired should have hit me, but they didn't hurt me at all.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

EDIT: Also, how does the metal armor work? Is it a damage reduction or does it just flat out negate damage if it's the armor that gets hit? I whacked one dude wearing some with a salvaged axe and it seemed to clang off without doing anything, but then I hit him in the back of the head where there wasn't any armor and he dropped dead instantly. I was wearing some as well and it seemed like a couple of the shots he fired should have hit me, but they didn't hurt me at all.

Unsure about the actual current implementation, but they don't want armor to be "number" driven anymore. Players no longer use hitboxes and the game is able to reliably tell exactly what part of the body that gets hit by a bullet or what not. The idea is that smashing a rock against a plate of metal or firing a bullet into it would negate or deflect some damage while damaging the armor in question, but if you were able to sneak up on a person, or took careful aim, you could pop a guy through his helmet's eye slits or hit him in the neck or wherever the body is exposed. This would go with locational damage where being hit in certain parts of the body could be more devastating than other parts. Eventually better armors will be more about durability and body coverage than anything else, but I assume that with the game tracking body and environmental heat as well as tracking total carry weight will balance this as well.

Here is a video from August demonstrating this: http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/August/22/2014-08-22_19-51-32.mp4

Armor hasn't been talked about in a while, but this was the last dev post about the hitbox, scroll down to HitBox Upgrades: http://playrust.com/friday-devblog-17/#more-1126

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Well apparently opting into betas mean your Rust client might be newer than the server, I had to opt out of the Beta to downgrade to an older build to avoid version conflicts.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Looks like we had a visit from Wholemilk and VirtousRyan. I feel like it would be a larf to make this game fun for them.

Visit in that they systematically destroyed everything in Detroit.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 13, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh NICE, did they finally release the new and updated engine with all the features they've been teasing us with the last like year?

Time to goonmans it up, aww yesss

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Offering up my server for goons, those in the midwest may get the best pings.

client.connect remote.insomniacs.biz:28015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
according to that rust guide posted earlier, armor is currently 100%/0% depending on hit location and clothing is worthless for deflecting attacks

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

Unsure about the actual current implementation, but they don't want armor to be "number" driven anymore. Players no longer use hitboxes and the game is able to reliably tell exactly what part of the body that gets hit by a bullet or what not. The idea is that smashing a rock against a plate of metal or firing a bullet into it would negate or deflect some damage while damaging the armor in question, but if you were able to sneak up on a person, or took careful aim, you could pop a guy through his helmet's eye slits or hit him in the neck or wherever the body is exposed. This would go with locational damage where being hit in certain parts of the body could be more devastating than other parts. Eventually better armors will be more about durability and body coverage than anything else, but I assume that with the game tracking body and environmental heat as well as tracking total carry weight will balance this as well.

Here is a video from August demonstrating this: http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/August/22/2014-08-22_19-51-32.mp4

Armor hasn't been talked about in a while, but this was the last dev post about the hitbox, scroll down to HitBox Upgrades: http://playrust.com/friday-devblog-17/#more-1126

The idea of armor that does something besides make other people inflict lower numbers is really cool. It may be a bit difficult to balance but if they get the durability right, so everyone isn't running around like Robocop, it could certainly make for some interesting moments.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just throwing my two cents in, while the game is still in this constant experimental state, I seriously welcome full wipes since the updates do change terrain generation, monuments, etc.

I mean once a stable RC is released I am all for keeping things consistent but if we don't ever get updated map features because people don't want to lose their dick hut(tm) I will be pretty bummed.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Just throwing my two cents in, while the game is still in this constant experimental state, I seriously welcome full wipes since the updates do change terrain generation, monuments, etc.

I mean once a stable RC is released I am all for keeping things consistent but if we don't ever get updated map features because people don't want to lose their dick hut(tm) I will be pretty bummed.

Agreed. I think we should mostly be dicking around and experimenting with new game mechanics as they are unveiled and save the effort Rusting for when the game goes live.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Well at this point we are at least now able to wipe on will not on restart. I think a frequent wipe is good as well but it gets a bit annoying if it's everytime the server restarts.

Bishyaler your server's been added to the OP.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
My body is prepared for the New Flesh of New Detroit. That is, if I can actually "click here to wake up"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Awful Sandwich posted:

My body is prepared for the New Flesh of New Detroit. That is, if I can actually "click here to wake up"

I believe typing sleep and then wakeup in the console will fix this issue.

Also everyone needs to be aware that it's really easy for people to glitch into your structures so don't get too attached to your poo poo.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Also typing respawn fixed it.

How do I use bear traps? It doesn't show any kind of placement options.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Awful Sandwich posted:

Thanks! Also typing respawn fixed it.

How do I use bear traps? It doesn't show any kind of placement options.

I don't think they work yet. Medkits don't seem to work either. Bandages do though.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, the last time I tried to play rust, it still had zombies that aggro'ed from draw distance... Seems like a bunch has changed, might have to give the game another try.

Definitely looks like there is a lot more to do at least.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Whelp. I was messaged about people getting disconnected by the games anticheat so I restarted the server and guess what? Shits floating in the air. Obviously the command line variables are not functioning properly and it looks like the devs realize this. According to their twitter feed the next update will fix it not loading from previous saves. Sorry to everyone who put work in again for it to just be wiped. Wish I knew how to maintain the saves but until the patch I won't restart the server again unless people vote for it. Once again, sorry.

Kizurue fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 14, 2014

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Kizurue posted:

Whelp. I was messaged about people getting disconnected by the games anticheat so I restarted the server and guess what? Shits floating in the air. Obviously the command line variables are not functioning properly and it looks like the devs realize this. According to their twitter feed the next update will fix it not loading from previous saves. Sorry to everyone who put work in again for it to just be wiped. Wish I knew how to maintain the saves but until the patch I won't restart the server again unless people vote for it. Once again, sorry.
NOOOO MA EAGLES NEST! http://www.twitch.tv/random_nascar_fan/b/577909715

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The idea of armor that does something besides make other people inflict lower numbers is really cool. It may be a bit difficult to balance but if they get the durability right, so everyone isn't running around like Robocop, it could certainly make for some interesting moments.

Heck, we know the game tracks the weight of items you currently carry, they could make it so certain armor combinations would be impractical because of weight restrictions or make it so the more burdened you become the slower you are. Heck, we know the game is set to track the player's body temperatures (go jump in a river for a bit then run about and watch as you die from the cold) and that clothing will be used to combat environmental effects. Currently you have 5 "armor" slots, which you could fill with a helm, gloves, chest, pants or shoes. If I throw away say the gloves, I can wear a cloth shirt and have the metal plate armor over it, but I lose out equipment for some part of the body. Choosing what exactly to equip, to combat environmental hazards, plays into the balance of armor.

The proposed armor system also plays more into a "skills" based combat, where people who are better shots or are better on ambushing another player could stand to be on par or better footing than someone who just has the strongest weapon available.

It is all really neat and has a lot of potential, really looking forward to them moving past "baseline".

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Kizurue posted:

Can we keep that seed at least? That central island we found was great.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Minarchist posted:

The seed is set through the command lines so its been in there. Whether that portion works I have no idea.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

The seed is set through the command lines so its been in there. Whether that portion works I have no idea.

Are you running v1394? I have not experienced this on my server (yet) and I have restarted it a few times for minor tweaks.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
My poor towers. :( My heart can't take many more resets.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Kimsemus posted:

My poor towers. :( My heart can't take many more resets.

It wasn't your tower anymore anyways.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Minarchist posted:

Don't worry bro, the rad things about dynamic terrain generation is you will always find something way cooler.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Are you running v1394? I have not experienced this on my server (yet) and I have restarted it a few times for minor tweaks.

I will have to check once I get off work tonight, have you changed your command line to add in -load and such? Currently mine is looking like:

"" posted:

-batchmode -load +server.hostname "Rusty Goons" +server.maxplayers 100 +server.port 28055 +server.identity "myserver" +server.seed 999234152 +rcon.port 5718 +rcon.password "*****" +rcon.ip 70.32.33.90

All that is default from the place I rent a server minus the server name, password, and seed.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Kizurue posted:

I will have to check once I get off work tonight, have you changed your command line to add in -load and such? Currently mine is looking like:

All that is default from the place I rent a server minus the server name, password, and seed.

I was going to ask what the info was, thanks.

Are Rodger, Asshaggis, and all the old Detroit goons back? That was a fun group to blow open every door on a 15 story tower play with.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

My run command is very similar to yours and includes the -load command. Without -load, you will create a new world each time the server is started. There is also an -autoupdate command that supposedly updates the server each Friday, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

If you'd like, you're welcome to add my server into the OP, I plan on maintaining it for my friends and any goons that would like to play. I own the equipment and connection so it's not causing me any additional overhead.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

My run command is very similar to yours and includes the -load command. Without -load, you will create a new world each time the server is started. There is also an -autoupdate command that supposedly updates the server each Friday, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

If you'd like, you're welcome to add my server into the OP, I plan on maintaining it for my friends and any goons that would like to play. I own the equipment and connection so it's not causing me any additional overhead.

Yeah for some reason fpsplayers doesn't give any more than control over name, seed, and rcon password.

As for adding your server I did that right after you posted the info.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

Yeah for some reason fpsplayers doesn't give any more than control over name, seed, and rcon password.

As for adding your server I did that right after you posted the info.

Much appreciated!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

The game updated Kizurue if you've got the time to update the server

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Prokhor posted:

So the autoupdate command doesn't seem to work. I have manually updated my server, thanks for the heads up.

Saves appear to not be compatible between these versions. Goodbye level 6 lake house!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Purposely only wore a shirt and gloves to let the dong swing free. Stalked a guy in full metal armour with a gun through snow covered woods until I ambushed him at night and beat him to death with a rock. He had tons of stuff on him.

Still the same old Rust. Love it.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

bonus hole boy posted:

I was going to ask what the info was, thanks.

Are Rodger, Asshaggis, and all the old Detroit goons back? That was a fun group to blow open every door on a 15 story tower play with.

I am back in (Rodger) but there was a change of denomination, I am now Sir Weedlord Bonerhitler. First of it's name.

And I know rear end Haggis is lurking in a bush somewhere..

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm still around too, perfecting my upside down towers.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Prokhor posted:

Sorry I had just walked into work when you posted this. Since no one is on I guess I will update. Hopefully no one put a whole lot of work into the past 15 hours or so.

And even after the update it seems to regenerate the world on every restart. What the hell?
Before anyone starts going crazy building I am going to mess with the server a bit.

Server is fixed, world seed is set, we are able to restart at will!

Kizurue fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 15, 2014

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kizurue posted:

And even after the update it seems to regenerate the world on every restart. What the hell?
Before anyone starts going crazy building I am going to mess with the server a bit.

Your attempts to stop me from building a stairway to heaven are futile!

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Awful Sandwich posted:

Your attempts to stop me from building a stairway to heaven are futile!

By all means now, I just didn't want your beautiful monstrosity to go unappreciated. Now its safe though and myself and Asshaggis are set up by the satellite dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Anyone else going to ascend Mount Goonilimanjaro with me tonight? Trying to hack my way up that mountain for two hours the other night was a ton of fun.

• Locked thread