Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad I stuck through the first episode, cause the end of the episode really got me hooked on the mysteries and the second episode was mercifully better about not throwing underwear in your face every few minutes.

But drat I was really tempted to give up on this show half-way into the first episode. So many goddamn panty shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You're no true otaku if you can't stand the appeal of pantsu.

Anyways when's the next episode?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Airs on Sundays.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Here's the preview pics for the third episode: http://i.imgur.com/juwZZcW.png Looks like they've included Charlie, The Precious Swag Pouch, Running Cadence (please tell me they animated the whole thing) and Thrilling Extreme Sports. So the episode's pretty much going to be awesome.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The cuts between segments are pretty drat awkward without Yuuji musing about things in between.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

We got the real ED today and it's wonderful. I'd call it the best ED of the season visually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkyP74t2rM

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I have to say Yuuji is quickly becoming my favorite MC this season. His personality reminds me a lot of Araragi from Monogatari only without the pervert part. Makina just cheerfully imitating his adorable as well. :3:

And yeah, that ED was quite fun visually. Probably my favorite ED this season at the moment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why in seven hells was there a serious discussion over wanting/not wanting a handbag in this episode? With dramatic music?

Otherwise this episode was quite nice. Will we see more Sakaki next time?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The parts of this episode without Amane were funny, but Amane really is a creepy rear end in a top hat, and it seems like she's being set up as the main love interest. Ugh.

Not that Sakaki is much better, and none of the other girls would actually make much sense as love interests anyway. Plus they aren't going anywhere with the stuff that was set up at the end of the first episode. I'm giving the show 2 more eps to convince me not to drop it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 20, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The parts of this episode without Amane were funny, but Amane really is a creepy rear end in a top hat, and it seems like she's being set up as the main love interest. Ugh.

Not that Sakaki is much better, and none of the other girls would actually make much sense as love interests anyway. Plus they aren't going anywhere with the stuff that was set up at the end of the first episode. I'm giving the show 2 more eps to convince me not to drop it.
Amane is going to come across that way because she was extremely forward with Yuuji from the start of the VN. I feel they're going to go down the unseen 'true route' for the adaptation.

The stuff foreshadowed in the first episode is all stuff that happens in each girl's respective route in the VN, and there was an exceedingly long common route (with plenty of amusing scenes of their day-to-day life) but I could imagine them getting to the meat of the story no pun intended in an episode or two. Sources are still saying it's only 12 episodes which isn't enough to work with the stories of all 5 girls, especially considering the length of Angelic Howl. Then again, I could be way off here since they're probably going down a route that wasn't shown in the VNs so it's likely going to play out way differently.

As someone else said earlier, Yuuji's internal musings in the VN made the scene transitions a lot smoother and often had some pretty interesting nuggets of information.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, there's probably not going to be a "main" love interest for the anime, unless they decide to do a specific route and ignore the other 4. More likely they'll try to wedge them together into a "true" route that sets up the sequels if the sales are good.

The VN itself didn't have much of a main heroine, either. Sakaki gets kind of special presentation in the OPs, (there's some speculation she was originally intended to be the main heroine) but Amane gets often gets placed more centrally in promotional art. In any event, Michiru wound up being the most popular character, and that gets reflected somewhat in the sequels and the fact that she got her own spinoff game.

Speaking of sales, I don't know when the discs are coming out, but in the meantime sales of the VN have apparently gone through the roof. It's outselling Fate, who's a bigger name and also has an anime out, and has been so successful that Frontwing ran out of their remaining stock and had to rush out another printing.

Blhue posted:

The cuts between segments are pretty drat awkward without Yuuji musing about things in between.

While I'm overall pleased with the adaptation, it does feel pretty goddamn awkward a lot of the time. I feel like they didn't put enough thought into the direction. A lot of scenes that worked okay in a VN format either drag or feel kind of weird when animated, and an awful lot is lost without Yuuji's inner monologue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grouchio posted:

Why in seven hells was there a serious discussion over wanting/not wanting a handbag in this episode? With dramatic music?

Sachi likes sharks, and is knowledgeable about animals. And many different sounding bush dogs. I fail to see the issue, it set up so many key plot points. :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

They animated three of the scenes people wanted to see most, and I'm glad they did. Operation Alpha/Bravo/Charlie was great, and the Shark Pouch incident is pretty much the only time Yuuji ever seriously loses his cool. I mean, would YOU willingly walk around in public with those things hanging off your waist?

We should get to Yuuji's nickname in the next episode. There's only one correct answer and they better drat well pick it!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Came in from the VN hoping the anime was going to be good. It's looking good so far. The voices are on point and the character themes remain. Best of all is that I can recognize places and scenes from the VN.

The weird twists they added to the personalities, I was less fond of. Sachi doesn't have a gas mask nor does she have amazing skill with explosives afaik, so I dunno what that was. Amane...I mean they are foreshadowing Amane so drat hard compared to the VN. It's almost like they are screaming HERE BE TRAUMA.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Amane scene was almost word for word what it was in the VN, but she was offscreen changing at the time and Yuuji was having an internal monologue about what she was asking about, so the player didn't really see any indication of how she reacted to his responses. The lockpick thing was a change though, as the version of episode 3's opening scene had her using a key to enter the room.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Blhue posted:

The Amane scene was almost word for word what it was in the VN, but she was offscreen changing at the time and Yuuji was having an internal monologue about what she was asking about, so the player didn't really see any indication of how she reacted to his responses. The lockpick thing was a change though, as the version of episode 3's opening scene had her using a key to enter the room.

I was more referring to the cutscene of the bus crash and such.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think they just wanted to foreshadow that the girls have issues to hook viewers that might not have played the games. Also, if the show does end up being 12 episodes I think its fairly likely we'll get a big Amane focus given that and the fact that her route is a big sequel hook.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Blhue posted:

Yeah, I think they just wanted to foreshadow that the girls have issues to hook viewers that might not have played the games. Also, if the show does end up being 12 episodes I think its fairly likely we'll get a big Amane focus given that and the fact that her route is a big sequel hook.

Oh is it? I didn't know. I never did the sequels.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

If they decide to stick to any single route it's probably going to be Amane's, it's one of the better known routes and ties in to other stuff well. VN:Plus it has Kazuki.

Blhue posted:

They're generally ramping the foreshadowing and such up for the sake of anime viewers. I saw comments of a lot of people coming in blind who'd thought it was basically just another moe anime until the end of ep 1. They also changed her having a spare key to picking to help push the feeling that this wasn't a normal, happy, everyday thing but a very deliberate action on her part.

Artificer posted:

Came in from the VN hoping the anime was going to be good. It's looking good so far. The voices are on point and the character themes remain. Best of all is that I can recognize places and scenes from the VN.

The weird twists they added to the personalities, I was less fond of. Sachi doesn't have a gas mask nor does she have amazing skill with explosives afaik, so I dunno what that was. Amane...I mean they are foreshadowing Amane so drat hard compared to the VN. It's almost like they are screaming HERE BE TRAUMA.

Sachi does have a gas mask, I'm pretty certain they mention it at some point that it's a part of one of her special-purpose maid uniforms. As for the bombs, it's true that in the original VN she doesn't have any skill with explosives...

Artificer posted:

Oh is it? I didn't know. I never did the sequels.

...at least not yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yo when does this show actually get good? There are interesting hooks with Amane blatantly trying to manipulate Yuuji, and Michiru being savvier than expected, and Yumiko channeling Senjougahara (the head tilts and shapes of the mouths are very Shaftish). But then we get a huge pointless skit in the middle with no logical connection to the bits before and after it. Not to mention that Yuuji getting hung up on a shark bag is sort of out of character, it's not like he has any shame and he'd rock any fashion accessory.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Sachi does have a gas mask, I'm pretty certain they mention it at some point that it's a part of one of her special-purpose maid uniforms. As for the bombs, it's true that in the original VN she doesn't have any skill with explosives...

That scene is in the Makina route.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tamba posted:

That scene is in the Makina route.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
The episode was indeed awesome (holy poo poo they really animated the whole Running Cadence, and it was one hell of a way to start the episode, too). They cut out most of the Thrilling Extreme Sports chapter (which is a drat shame, I was really looking forward to "what-the-hell-kind-of-game-is-this?" game and Amane's kiss on Yuuji's cheek) but the episode was great nonetheless (they even briefly showed Asako). Though the lack of subtlety is killing me. They should just rename it Grisaia no Subtlety at this point. And I guess we'll have to deal with the derpy animation and pantyshots (I'm starting to think that they really have pantyshot quota that they need to hit every week) the whole show. Oh well.

Speaking of fanservice, what the hell was up with the scene where Sachi was measuring Yuuji's waist? Not only she moaned but her head also moved in the suggestive way. I don't think that innuendo was necessary.

Blhue posted:

Yeah. Though they are pretty awkward even with Yuuji's musings.

Snow Halation posted:

We got the real ED today and it's wonderful. I'd call it the best ED of the season visually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkyP74t2rM
That "Last Supper" painting.

Bakanogami posted:

I saw comments of a lot of people coming in blind who'd thought it was basically just another moe anime until the end of ep 1.
Wait, what? There were people who thought that? I just saw plenty of people who thought that it was just another generic harem poo poo until those last few minutes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
As someone who knows this only from the anime, I would be immensely bored if it were any more subtle. So far it's vanilla high school shenanigans for 20+ minutes and stuff I might be interested in (or that at least promises such stuff in the future) for the remainder, and it sounds like the unsubtle stuff you mention is that remainder.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Yo when does this show actually get good? There are interesting hooks with Amane blatantly trying to manipulate Yuuji, and Michiru being savvier than expected, and Yumiko channeling Senjougahara (the head tilts and shapes of the mouths are very Shaftish). But then we get a huge pointless skit in the middle with no logical connection to the bits before and after it. Not to mention that Yuuji getting hung up on a shark bag is sort of out of character, it's not like he has any shame and he'd rock any fashion accessory.

The tone of episode 3 is about how most of the rest of the common route goes, with a series of short mostly self-contained scenes focused on either comedy or character development, with a fair amount of foreshadowing involved. (to the point that it feels almost like they're beating like the anime is beating the audience over the head with it to the VN crowd)

As for how long it'll continue in that style, your guess is as good as mine. I think episode 3 goes to maybe 30%-ish through the common route, maybe? They're including most of the actual scenes but trimming substantial chunks to make them shorter. In ep 3, for instance, they cut a scene between Yuuji catching Amane and the running cadence, and a fairly lengthy scene in P.E. class before Amane got hurt.

Once they get out of the common route, things will likely turn quite dark and include some amount of action, but nobody's sure which/how many routes they'll actually adapt.

I agree with you on the shark bag being kind of awkward and out of character for Yuuji, though. I scratch it up to what I said earlier about poor direction with regards to adapting from VN to an animated format. Half the time it feels like they're trying to ape Monogatari, too.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The shark bag over-reaction is what makes the scene, really. It's the one time Yuuji legitimately loses his cool, and it's over something as stupid as a goofy, pink fashion accessory.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

I think episode 3 goes to maybe 30%-ish through the common route, maybe?
Pretty much. They've animated 12 out of 54 chapters of the common route as of the episode 3.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 23, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I'm kind of disappointed the first part of "Pack Sachi First!" was skipped. Otherwise, I think they've made wise choices on what to animate so far. Tunafish Man had better be included, though, or there will be hell to pay.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Snow Halation posted:

I'm kind of disappointed the first part of "Pack Sachi First!" was skipped.
They didn't animated that chapter yet.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snow Halation posted:

I'm kind of disappointed the first part of "Pack Sachi First!" was skipped. Otherwise, I think they've made wise choices on what to animate so far. Tunafish Man had better be included, though, or there will be hell to pay.

I'd bet that's actually probably one of the first things they'd cut, it's kind of a non sequitur to everything else and pretty much never intersects the actual plot. There might be a reference here and there, though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

I'd bet that's actually probably one of the first things they'd cut, it's kind of a non sequitur to everything else and pretty much never intersects the actual plot. There might be a reference here and there, though.
It does set up her route though, and drives home how darn resourceful that girl is.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Snow Halation posted:

Tunafish Man had better be included, though, or there will be hell to pay.
Your wish has been granted (preview pics for the episode 4). They've also included Michiru's Ritual, what looks like And your Hobbies Are?, maybe Thank You for the Dog and Pencil (i.e. the famous Engrish lesson), and looks like they're combining The Silver Bullet's Target with The Sudden Approach. And that worry me a bit. It's only the forth episode but they've already adapting one of the routes/starting the true route? Does that mean that the show is really only 13 episodes long? And are they going to try to cram all 5 routes/adapt the true route in 13 episodes? And what about the common route? Is is pretty much done or they're going to include some scenes from it here and there?

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 24, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Michiru's branch off should be third chronologically, so I'm guessing they're going to try to adapt all of them and common route scenes to further develop a given heroine may wind up getting moved around to proceed said girl's arc. Though the rushed pace worries me, I'm looking forward to Michiru's arc. Overall its probably the weakest, but her "funeral" is one of my favorite scenes and I hope they do it justice.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I want to say I like this, and I do to a certain extent, but the cold transition between some of the scenes during the last episode really threw me off. The shark bag scene especially due to the fact that Yuuji's somewhat out of character carelessness is explained away by him being tired.. an issue that hadn't plagued him or even been mentioned at all in the scene prior. (or did I miss something?) Overall it feels like this adaptation is directed heavily at an audience already familiar with the material.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm hearing disturbing reports that as of episode 4, it looks like they'll try to cram each character arc into 2 episodes each, thus ruining everything. Is this true?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Odd thing I noticed about the art style: they draw the eyebrows completely on top of the bangs (the lines from the bangs don't run through the brows) whenever there's a closeup or the eyebrows are large like Michiru's.

This did feel like a "get through a bunch of [specific character] stuff" episode.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I'm hearing disturbing reports that as of episode 4, it looks like they'll try to cram each character arc into 2 episodes each, thus ruining everything. Is this true?
Certainly looks like it. The first half of Michiru's route was already "adapted" ((VN spoilers in the picture) most of the chapters from the first half of her route were just completely cut out) in this episode. And the name of the next episode is Vox in Box, which pretty much confirms that they've crammed her route into 2 episodes. If they indeed plan to adapt all 5 routes (and looks like they do) then yeah, each route most likely is going to be 2 episodes long.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So they did a pretty bad job of making it clear how big a part of Michiru's issues the fear of loss is before the events the episode ended on, and for me it fell pretty flat emotionally compared to the equivalent scene in the VN. Also not quite sure how they're going to cram Michiru's backstory, the "funeral" and the arc about the other Michiru's closure into one episode without it being a clusterfuck.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

May I just drop the anime and swap it to play the VN instead? I probably will be getting a better experience that way by the looks of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Definitely.

• Locked thread