Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

spanky69 posted:

Orioles only change from ALDS to ALCS roster is LHP Brian Matusz in for RHP Ubaldo Jimenez. No Chris Davis on ALCS roster (not eligible until game 6) as expected.

I'm just glad Ubaldo is out. Davis is take or leave when he isn't suspended so all-in-all I'm cool with the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

MourningView posted:

I better look my best to watch a bunch of grown men in pajamas try to hit a ball with a stick

I wonder how much of it had to do with day games where the men would walk out of the office and be like "yeah boss, just meeting a client for the afternoon."

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I want my nice suit covered in peanut shells

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

DeltaAttack2go posted:

I wonder how much of it had to do with day games where the men would walk out of the office and be like "yeah boss, just meeting a client for the afternoon."

I think it was more just men wore suits all the time, so the ballgame was no different.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DeltaAttack2go posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that suits are just what men wore in public in that era.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
This suit chat has me pretty scared for the offseason.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Explosionface posted:

I think it was more just men wore suits all the time, so the ballgame was no different.

and hats

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

The_Hat posted:

He gazed up at the enormous bird's face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the orange beak. O cruel, needless bunting! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the better conference! Two Miller Lite-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, baseball was all right, the inter-league struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the DH.

Big Bird is watching.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Dr. Tommy John posted:

This suit chat has me pretty scared for the offseason.

hot dogs

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I thought they were wearing suits because they knew nerds like us would be discussing their fashion 90 years hence

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Are they a sandwich or are their batflips and showboating ruining this game?

Stay tuned all winter as we come to the opposite of a meaningful conclusion!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't know about the rest of you but I just take off and do literally anything else with my time in the offseason rather than read SAS.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Then how do you know the status of what hot dogs are?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man; tickets are readily available for tonight's game. Both directly through the Os and on Stubhub. I'm having a really hard time not going, but I'm sure my wife will be pissed to drive up there from DC and end up stuck in a long rain delay :(

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I don't know about the rest of you but I just take off and do literally anything else with my time in the offseason rather than read SAS.

This is what I did with the NFL last off season then I just never went back to TFF because it's impossible to keep up with how many loving posts there are.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Oh fun, apparently the Mariners ownership nixed a cheap Cruz deal last offseason ($7.5mil in 2014, $9mil club option for 2015). Kill me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerve posted:

This is what I did with the NFL last off season then I just never went back to TFF because it's impossible to keep up with how many loving posts there are.

I want to understand football but TFF is impossible to read. It's nice that all the MLB talk is compressed into a couple of threads. I feel like I've learned so much about baseball in the 2.5 years I've been reading these threads.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Oh fun, apparently the Mariners ownership nixed a cheap Cruz deal last offseason ($7.5mil in 2014, $9mil club option for 2015). Kill me.

But you got Kendrys back!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I want to understand football but TFF is impossible to read. It's nice that all the MLB talk is compressed into a couple of threads. I feel like I've learned so much about baseball in the 2.5 years I've been reading these threads.

Come to the First Downies thread. We will teach you things!

Also the only threads you really need to read are the N/V, Matchups (sometimes) and GDT thread.

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324645

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 10, 2014

nopants
May 29, 2004
I know this doesn't mean much at lots of these games were played a while ago and the teams are different now, but I still think it's interesting. Here's how the Royals played against the other remaining teams this season:

Royals - Orioles regular season - Royals 4-3, scored 26 runs to the Orioles 18, and the last game was played on May 18th.

Royals - Cardinals - Royals 3-1, scored 19 runs to the Cards 14, and the last game was played on June 6th.

Royals - Giants - Royals 3-0, scored 16 runs to the Giants 6, and the last game was played on August 10th.

Also, KC was 15-5 in Inter-league play this season. That's the best record in MLB.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Not LCS related, but too fun to pass up... Doug Dascenzo is returning to the Cubs as a coach, which is the perfect time to remind everyone that he did some pretty cool things. Doug Dascenzo was an outfielder. He did this:

quote:

Dascenzo set a big-league record for most errorless appearances at the start of a career by an outfielder (242 games, 442 chances).

But this is cooler:

quote:

In three relief appearances last season-all when the Cubs were being blown out-Dascenzo allowed two hits, walked two, struck out two and held the opposition scoreless. He also pitched a perfect inning of relief in 1990, giving him a career ERA of 0.00-best in major league history for pitchers with four or more innings of work.

Dascenzo`s three relief apperances last year were the most by a position player since infielder Jim Morrison appeared in three games for Atlanta in 1988.

quote:

Dascenzo treated it all in good fun, and really rose to the occasion when one fan in Rockford asked him about his ``most lethal pitch.``

A changeup, Dascenzo replied, retelling the story of how he got Pittsburgh`s power hitting Barry Bonds to swing at one at Wrigley Field last year.

``I threw Barry Bonds a first-pitch curve ball for ball one and I told myself if I throw a fastball-or a straightball in my case, about 82(m.p.h.)-he might just hit it in the lake. So (I figured) why not just go ahead and try a changeup? Man, I threw a changeup about belt-high and he must have pulled about eight back muscles trying to hit that thing. . . . Of all the pitches last year, I was most happy about that pitch.``

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-01-19/sports/9201060383_1_cubs-doug-dascenzo-out-dascenzo

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

Man; tickets are readily available for tonight's game. Both directly through the Os and on Stubhub. I'm having a really hard time not going, but I'm sure my wife will be pissed to drive up there from DC and end up stuck in a long rain delay :(

Okay; its done.

Going to game 1 and 2 :unsmith:

Wife gonna get whatever she wants once playoffs are over

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

nerve posted:

My life has been better in general since I stopped paying attention to offseason news in football and baseball.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nopants posted:

I know this doesn't mean much at lots of these games were played a while ago and the teams are different now, but I still think it's interesting. Here's how the Royals played against the other remaining teams this season:

Royals - Orioles regular season - Royals 4-3, scored 26 runs to the Orioles 18, and the last game was played on May 18th.

Royals - Cardinals - Royals 3-1, scored 19 runs to the Cards 14, and the last game was played on June 6th.

Royals - Giants - Royals 3-0, scored 16 runs to the Giants 6, and the last game was played on August 10th.

Also, KC was 15-5 in Inter-league play this season. That's the best record in MLB.

The majority of the runs and 2 of the losses came from a pitcher who was just left off the ALCS roster but the two teams have changed drastically since the all star break v:shobon:v

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mobius posted:

Not LCS related, but too fun to pass up... Doug Dascenzo is returning to the Cubs as a coach, which is the perfect time to remind everyone that he did some pretty cool things. Doug Dascenzo was an outfielder. He did this:

That 1990 game was my first game at Wrigley, I remember thinking he had been demoted when I saw a little guy wearing 29 warming up in a blowout against the Mets.

He's also responsible for giving us this gem from Rob Dibble with some bonus Andre Dawson bat flipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKkHxkkCyA

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Pierzynski got added to the Cardinals NLCS roster because he rules

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That deal would have pissed me off at the time, and 99% of SAS would have been mocking the M's for it. The only saving grace in that is that it was apparently a team option. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20 and all.

Edit - on the other hand - gently caress off, owners. Sign the checks and get the Hell out of the way.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

angrygodofjebus posted:

Who got booted?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cashman three year deal. Long fired.

I like Cash he's a good gm overall.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Zythrst posted:

Who got booted?

Sam Freeman

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just wait for the Mariners to sign Cruz to a 4-5 year deal this offseason and he turns into a pumpkin around June

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Ah, the crusade is now justified.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Giants and Niners might be in the same STL hotel this weekend :3:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Spoeank posted:

Giants and Niners might be in the same STL hotel this weekend :3:

Yeah, the HEARTBREAK HOTEL.

:burn:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, the HEARTBREAK HOTEL.

:burn:

Correction.

Sick burn.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

We tortured some Dodger folks.

This didn't get enough love

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

That deal would have pissed me off at the time, and 99% of SAS would have been mocking the M's for it. The only saving grace in that is that it was apparently a team option. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20 and all.

Edit - on the other hand - gently caress off, owners. Sign the checks and get the Hell out of the way.

There's also that steroid thing that maybe some owners didn't want around.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

What? Exactly nobody would've mocked the Mariners for that deal. In fact, it probably would've been seen as pretty smart(because it would've been). They'd have been assuming no long-term financial risk and very little short-term for a lot of upside in an area where their team ended up desperately lacking exactly as everyone expected them to. Nobody called the O's dumb at the time and that's a way better deal than they got him for.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That 1990 game was my first game at Wrigley, I remember thinking he had been demoted when I saw a little guy wearing 29 warming up in a blowout against the Mets.

He's also responsible for giving us this gem from Rob Dibble with some bonus Andre Dawson bat flipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKkHxkkCyA

Joe West - sucking in 1991, sucking today, sucking forever. Also Dan Roan, Chicago legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
On the Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon just thanked KC's mascot (Slugger?) for looking like a lion had sex with Bart Simpson.

• Locked thread