Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
Honestly, looking at kbb, it sounds like they are doing a pretty good deal for you. Dealerships give trade value even when they are purchasing outright because the same cost is involved in terms of getting it ready to resell. It looks like they are offering close to private party. Just know that part of the reason they are giving you that info over the phone is because their ultimate goal is to try to sell you another car when you show up, and then they will pick at it when you say you are truly not interested and they will say something like "well, I was assuming that it was in truly excellent condition, but it looks like it needs new tires, and it is really close to its 100k mile services that cost $XXX.xx." Be ready for that. They will talk you down and in this situation, they have the control until you walk away, because if you are not buying a car, they can just say "not interested" at any time. Roll reversal.

Source - myself (I am a long time salesman at a honda dealership on the west coast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

EugeneJ posted:

Tell me something - how well are the non-Honda used cars on the lot maintained? Like if someone trades in a Toyota and you list it for sale at $6,000 - is there really a 100-point inspection done by your mechanics, or is there a chance you're just selling it as-is and it could fall apart tomorrow?

I'm turning in my leased Civic in a few months and want to buy my next car used.

I think it really depends on the dealer, but I could see that happening. I would trust getting a used car if you are going to buy from a dealership that sells that manufacturer new though, since the service techs that are doing the inspection are more familiar with the vehicles. Out dealership group has a pretty good reputation in our area, but we also put 12k drivetrain warranties on any used car under 100k miles, and service is separate from the sales, except that with used cars, the sales department is required to do the things recommended by the service department after inspection or wholesale auction the car, and service will do those inspections with a fine toothed comb (much like how when your car is under warranty they never have recommendations but suddenly at 65000 miles they are telling you every reason why your car is going to blow up without their help). They want to get paid.

Basically, check out their ratings on dealerrater.com and google reviews. Focus more on their service department reviews. no one will have perfect ratings, but if the dealer has higher than 3.5 stars with a fair amount of reviews, you should not have a lot to worry about.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

A number of my friends (I went to tech school and was a certified Indy tech for 4 years before changing careers) worked at Honda and Toyota dealerships. The inspections are a joke. Look for leaks, shake wheels, scan. That's about where it stops unless something is obvious.

I tend to agree in the long run. I am glad our dealer is a little different, but we are able to because it is the largest dealer group in the region. I was annoyed one time because I took a 2 year old Mercedes glk 350 with only 16k miles on it and it did not pass inspection. A competitor bought it at auction and did just that, sold it, and I saw it broken down on the highway a week after that.

Part of it, is the owner of the warranty underwriter also happens to be the owner of our dealer group, and he obviously does not want to pay on those 12 month 12k mile warranties, so they are pretty anal about those inspections. At any given time we have about 1000 used cars, and in the past 4 years I have only had one customer come back after the purchase due to any mechanical issue.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

So? What did you end up doing?

• Locked thread