Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
That was a really loving great episode. It seems like that whole first half was probably one chapter, it must have been really excellent to read as it came out. Tamura did a fantastic job humanizing the Parasytes, and so many other arcs just all came to a head at once, and the music going along with it was great too. (I'm really glad I listen to the ED every time so I built up an emotional connection to it :unsmith:)

The new stuff is interesting too, though. I'm glad they're following up on the psychic sense stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Relin posted:

That line they added about Gotoh and parasites being fragile seemed out of place

It really makes sense, though. I just never expected this to turn into some kind of metaphor for how we treat some kind of minority group.

What actually would kind of fit would maybe be a metaphor for animal rights and animal cruelty, especially intelligent animals like primates like a Chimpanzee or a Gorilla, though a man-eater like a Tiger would work too, or any other animal; it doesn't have to be a specific animal. It would fit in a whole lot of ways. Like Gotoh, calling them "fragile" seems absurd but compared to us as a species? Totally true.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bell_ posted:

Plus, if they are actually using flamethrowers and have to blow them on the first batch, fire certainly won't be surprising to the rest of the parasytes.

To me that seemed like it was just Migi's awkward autistic way of saying that although fire is perfectly easy to understand from a 100% logical, rational point of view, it's still pretty loving startling to have a bunch of flames up in your face and be on fire and poo poo.

It's another one of those times where the whole ":smug:I'm So Logical, No Emotions Here:smug:" facade breaks down and you see Migi & the other Parasytes aren't as different as they think. Migi has the emotionally maturity of a ~9 month old old child... because he literally is a ~9 month old child. He can't even conceptualize his emotions clearly, let alone explain them easily, and can't just say "Being on fire would be really upsetting, it would make me scared". Instead the best he can do is say some weird vague poo poo about his "inner" and "outer" consciousness. (rational & emotional mind)

Ytlaya posted:

I like how (unlike most horror/monster fiction of this nature) Parasyte makes it clear that humanity is still entirely capable of killing off the parasites and that there isn't much they could do against a full-fledged human offensive against them. Usually you'll have the monsters/zombies pose some existential threat to the human race as a whole, even if it isn't logical (like with the zombie apocalypse, where it doesn't really make any sense for zombies to be capable of overwhelming militaries, etc).

Sure, but it helps that parasytes don't seem to be able to procreate. You're right that most media is pretty over the top about it, but it's also true that there's a difference between fighting a discrete enemy with a limited number of targets, like parasytes, and "fighting" zombies, which is really more like trying to stop a plague.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

He could easily still have some human organs and just have parasites making up his thoracic and abdominal walls, sorta like how that other jaw-parasite's area extended down into his upper chest.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Whatever human tissue is left over is probably infused with parasite matter to strengthen it (like Reiko did with her own body, and like what happened to Shinichi after Migi fixed his heart).

Reiko did that? I missed that, when did they mention it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume she did, she did a bunch of weird stuff in her fight with the other parasytes and she also survived like a million bullets.

But isn't the downside of that technique that the host parasite has to then fall asleep occasionally? How in the world would that work with her functioning as the head, instead of just as a hand? Migi didn't seem to be able to control or even predict when it would happen, often occurring in the middle of the day or in dangerous situations, or when he got tired after a fight; I don't think we saw anything like that with Reiko.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Actually that makes perfect sense, Gotou is made up of 5 parasytes, and 2/5 of them (its leg) are permanently asleep and slaved to whichever parasyte occupies the head.

Hah, that could be cool, I could see it. And when they wake up he can go crazy cheetahlegs like that one time. Guess that could be the case. I was talking about Reiko though, not Gotou.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'd don't get why the guy didn't want armor-penetrating/FMJ rounds? One or two of those would destroy the heart as much as scatter-shot would.

It's possible that Shinichi told them about the Parasites having the potential to shift their organs around. I don't remember when, but one of them shifted their heart to the other side of their body at one point. (maybe it was Miki, the 3-parasite version of gotou?)

If they can do that, you're better off having a medium amount of damage spread out over a large area instead of a very high amount of damage focused on a smaller area. You don't really need to completely annihilate the heart, after all; even a few shot pellets tearing through the heart should be enough to kill them.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CasualMaleXL posted:

Masochistic?

Obviously, the cat was enjoying it. What, you didn't get that vibe?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, I think "hesitation at executing a dying person" is a pretty common feeling that any non-sociopath feels. Yes, even against murderers. There's a difference when there's someone trying to kill you - which is why he didn't hesitate like three other times when trying to kill him - compared to when they're bleeding out unconscious on the ground and you're standing over them with a knife and you'd have to slash up all their internal organs to kill them. He only hesitated for like, a minute, and then he did kill the dude.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

The point of the question at the end was not the answer, because there was no answer. The point was that Shinichi matured enough to be able to ask the question in the first place.

Yeah I definitely agree with you there.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I must admit, I did tune out a bit during all the big philosophical speeches. They weren't as deep or as interesting as the show thought they were.

They're don't work great as mind-blowing philosophical speeches, but I do think they work well as characterization. That's what I take away from all that - it's not even about proselytizing one of these worldviews as the one true understanding of the world or anything, it's just about showing how Shinichi's outlook of the world has changed and grown. To that end, I think they are effective. (and the speeches from the other characters work in the same way)

Perhaps a more subtle, less expository method of characterization could have worked better, sure, but that's a whole 'nother post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tokyo Ghoul, especially the first season, has a lot of superficial similarities to Parasyte. They're both shows about milquetoast teen guys who get a monster injection of a type of monster that needs to eat humans to survive. As that series progresses, though, it turns more and more into just a battle manga and less about whether the monsters can still be good people even if they're eating humans.

But hey battle manga are good anyway so whatever.

Gankutsuou is probably the better recommendation, though. Really cool show, and sorta similar somehow to Parasyte. Not in plot or setting, not at all, but maybe in... tone? I dunno.

• Locked thread