Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
What is the point of observing a religous obligation to not use technology and not operate mechanical objects if you are going to worry about it anyway. Plus it is cheating if you ask a non Jew to help you out. I still think Jews are funny though, they provide excellent comical reliefs for me and for all of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

islamic mortgages are funnier

it's not interest, it's a compounding service fee

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
uh because stupid goyims will always do the bidding

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
they have a manual for tricking god and its funny

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

gotcha god! technically I didn't break the letter of the law even though I clearly and knowingly violated its spirit

*god reluctantly opens the gates of heaven, smiling and wagging a finger*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Maybe this educational cartoon will answer your questions, OP.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Hingehead posted:

What is the point of observing a religous obligation to not use technology and not operate mechanical objects if you are going to worry about it anyway. Plus it is cheating if you ask a non Jew to help you out. I still think Jews are funny though, they provide excellent comical reliefs for me and for all of society.

Yeah stupid little laws like this is what put me off from religion since all I really want is a deity who will give me the OK to exterminate people I don't like

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Applewhite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaET4fKUq7I

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I like that story about the Rabbis arguing about some obscure religious law issue, then God himself appears and tells them what the answer is, to which one of the Rabbis replies "Stay out of this God, this isn't about you". That's an attitude towards religion I can get behind.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jews are predisposed to become lawyers because it's completely ingrained and encouraged in our culture to follow rules to the letter, but to think of clever ways that you can get what you want despite them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Years ago I had a co-worker who went on vacation in Israel for some godawful reason. He had to tell me all about how the sky-rise hotel he stayed at had a "Sabbath-Elevator" that when turned on would stop on each floor automatically, because G-d is apparently Bart Simpson.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
do you have to flush after them

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I remember this episode of curb your enthusiasm.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Applewhite posted:

whats this from

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
I have some personal experience with this, was working here in Brooklyn when someone came out and asked me to turn on their AC for them, I went in and did it. They just assumed I wasn't Jewish since I was working but I am basically a non-practicing Jew (had a bar mitzvah and everything but during my late teens decided it was boring as all hell.)

But then I see poo poo like "Shabbat Lamps" that are basically cylinders with a knob you twist to turn a shade so you can leave it on during the Sabbath and I argued with my devout cousin about "how the hell is that any different then flipping a switch" but devout Jews are all about toeing the line so w/e I guess.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
http://youtu.be/yE0nenGeW5A?t=37s

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yivgev posted:

whats this from

http://catandgirl.com/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Am surprised no Jew enterpreneur hasnt made billions selling voice activated everything.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
Man, it's funny hearing jew anecdotes, as the jew community in Germany took quite a hit a while ago and never really recovered, so jews are pretty much never seen practicing around here.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

happyhippy posted:

Am surprised no Jew enterpreneur hasnt made billions selling voice activated everything.

Because there will always be a more-orthodox-than-thou person suing their landlords for having automatic hallway lights on the Sabbath

quote:

A Jewish couple are suing their neighbours in a block of flats, saying an automatic security light is keeping them prisoner in their home because it forces them to break their Sabbath rules.

Dr Dena Coleman and husband Gordon claim they cannot leave their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they do they automatically trigger the light in the communal hallway - contravening a religious ban on turning on electrical items from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday because it constitutes 'creating fire'.

They say their human rights are being breached and are now suing the flats' management company - their neighbours - for failing to accommodate their religion.

The other 35 owners of the seaside flats are liable to pay court costs if the claim is successful.

Dr Coleman, a 56-year-old headteacher at a Jewish orthodox school in London, has been visiting the £200,000 holiday flat in Bournemouth, Dorset, with her husband for six years.

The management company fitted the motion-sensing lights six months ago in a bid to save energy and money.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The idea is god as smart as gently caress, so if he didn't want there to be loopholes he wouldn't have written them into the laws.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

KamikazeJim posted:

I have some personal experience with this, was working here in Brooklyn when someone came out and asked me to turn on their AC for them, I went in and did it. They just assumed I wasn't Jewish since I was working but I am basically a non-practicing Jew (had a bar mitzvah and everything but during my late teens decided it was boring as all hell.)

But then I see poo poo like "Shabbat Lamps" that are basically cylinders with a knob you twist to turn a shade so you can leave it on during the Sabbath and I argued with my devout cousin about "how the hell is that any different then flipping a switch" but devout Jews are all about toeing the line so w/e I guess.

That exactly what happened to me last night in Brooklyn, inspiring this thread. I got out of class after 10pm, being in the middle of a densely Jewish neighborhood and the jewish holiday going on this week, I was walking to my car when a jewish lady asked me to turn on the dishwasher for her. All I could think of "it's a trap" and " how desperately retarded you need to be to let a complete stranger into your home."

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

The idea is god as smart as gently caress, so if he didn't want there to be loopholes he wouldn't have written them into the laws.

that's a stupid idea because people wrote the laws not god. i thought religious people acknowledged the bible/torah/Quran weren't written by god but by ppl? at least that's what the apologists here on SA say

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
The Jews are getting annoying again.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Hingehead posted:

does this include wedges and levers?

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

This lady died suddenly though a couple years later, someone was obviously displeased...

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
A bunch of years ago I read about Jews shunning technology on the Sabbath and thought about the idea of a call center-like approach wherein customer service reps would monitor Sabbath-observing Jews and anticipate when they wanted to turn on the oven or television or whatever and the person(s) at the call center would turn on the appliance, reading the intent of the occupants (or the occupant could even use hand gestures that tell people in the call center what their intentions are) so another human at the call center could take care of it for you, as opposed to technology.

The kicker- the call center is located on the other side of the International Date Line (where it is no longer the Sabbath) which should satisfy even the smallest of loopholes.

Apparently God does indeed enjoy it when His devoted subjects find clever ways to get around, but not actually break the Sabbath laws.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ashgromnies posted:

that's a stupid idea because people wrote the laws not god. i thought religious people acknowledged the bible/torah/Quran weren't written by god but by ppl? at least that's what the apologists here on SA say

Strong point but counterpoint, it was literally hashem w/ the pen.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This implies you can trap a Jew with just a few motion sensors.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seriously my thread got gassed for some reason but I wanna know, if you have to have all your body parts, does that mean Jews who have to get their gallbladders removed get owned

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

This implies you can trap a Jew with just a few motion sensors.

Technically the guard towers are motion sensors. Guns create fire on the sabbath so Sunday's were always a chill day

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Couldn't you just leave everything turned on the day before and call it good when you wake up on Sunday?

What about when it's Sunday in other parts of the world when it's your Saturday?

Hard thoughts.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Applewhite posted:

jew propaganda

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Couldn't you just leave everything turned on the day before and call it good when you wake up on Sunday?

What about when it's Sunday in other parts of the world when it's your Saturday?

Hard thoughts.

You can leave everything turned on the day before, if it's something that can be left on. That's the point of the sabbath lamps and the sabbath elevator. The "fire" wasn't "created" on the sabbath, it was just left "burning." Jews can make use of a fire on the sabbath if it wasn't kindled then (just not for doing work). The sabbath lamp isn't ignited when you rotate or open its window, see, it was already running and you just revealed it. But this doesn't work for dishwashers.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
if they can't use technology does this also mean a ban on all processed, foods and non hand crafted textile goods?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

metzitzah b'peh

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

I remember this episode of curb your enthusiasm.

i actually dont. what season/ep?

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Rapman the Cook posted:

The Jews are getting annoying again.

its time for a threshing

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
who gets to decide what counts as work? and when you do ten times as much work to avoid doing the original work, why doesn't that count as work? poo poo's weird man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Jews should get with the pogrom.

• Locked thread