Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
well?
music
lyrics
i only listen to instrumental video game soundtracks, op
View Results

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i always struggle to listen to lyrics in a song. by default i always listen to the music of it, and the voice is another instrument producing sounds, not words. when someone asks me to listen to the lyrics i usually have to just look them up and read them because i can only make it a couple verses in before i switch back to the music. many times i can sing a long, but this is again due to me knowing the sounds rather than actually consciously processing what the words are.

i sent a really good french song to a friend once and she said "how am i supposed to listen to this, it's in french!"

are you autistic like me or are the lyrics pretty important to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Usually those who can play instruments are gay for the music while the rest of us sing along like normal people.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i only read sheet music

sometimes listen to slam poetry

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I only listen for low frequencies below about 20hz because the terrifying rumble reminds me of the void into which all living things will be cast at the end of time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I have this collection of Indian/Eastern club music and I have no idea what anyone is saying and I like it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

redshirt posted:

I have this collection of Indian/Eastern club music and I have no idea what anyone is saying and I like it.

realtalk im totally gay for this japanese band and its kind of cool to just listen to it and have no god drat idea what theyre saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zez30Rj82g

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm learning Japanese so I got a whole bunch of Japanese music that I focus on listening to the lyrics. For the rest it's more about the sick rear end tunes.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

no

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I like it when both are good, but I'm happy with one or the other most of the time

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
my brain and ears operate at the breath taking level of not retarded so I can listen to both

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

swampland posted:

my brain and ears operate at the breath taking level of not retarded so I can listen to both

does not compute

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

My favorite band is Einstruzende Neubauten and the few German words I know I learned from listening to Rammstein so I guess I don't care about lyrics.

It is awkward though when you really like a song and finally listen to the lyrics and they're super hosed-up, like Mr. Tinker-Train.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I like Serge Gainsbourg and I don't speak French. I just assume all the lyrics are filthy

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

RobattoJesus posted:

I only listen for low frequencies below about 20hz because the terrifying rumble reminds me of the void into which all living things will be cast at the end of time.

A looped 24hz sine wave makes it sound like there's an 18-wheeler idling in my living room, which is nice whenever I find myself missing my apartment next to the truck stop.

The stripped-down state of modern pop music suggests that people tend to listen to the vocals, which usually contains the hookiest melody. Many hit songs are just a beat with a catchy vocal and very minimal musical backing. It's not really good or bad, it's just what people like.

It wasn't until I took a music appreciation class with a great teacher that I learned to listen to all the instruments and textures interacting with each other. To me the best music -- to paraphrase Mozart in Amadeus -- can have anywhere from two to two dozen instruments all playing different things simultaneously and they can all fit together perfectly. That's probably why a lot of people hate jazz. It takes serious effort to listen to.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Music. Melodies.
Heavily quantize and autotune the gently caress out of it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I say the N word and all the other cuss words in a rap song, otherwise it loses the deep meaning the artist intended

• Locked thread