Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

You will be subjected to shame!

I'm asking if I'll get banned or something. I build models as a hobby and I managed to spear the thumb of my dominant hand with a hobby knife today, it didn't bleed much but it went right to the bone and it hurts like a motherfucker if I try to grip anything. :(

I guess a steamed or baked potato would be easiest?

BlueGrot posted:

I'm on sick leave from work due to panic attacks(wtf, gently caress you too, brain), so hopefully that gives me a grace period? Maybe I'll make some potatoes tomorrow, but not the potatoes I planned :c

Oh, hey there panic attack buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm asking if I'll get banned or something. I build models as a hobby and I managed to spear the thumb of my dominant hand with a hobby knife today, it didn't bleed much but it went right to the bone and it hurts like a motherfucker if I try to grip anything. :(

I guess a steamed or baked potato would be easiest?

Oh, hey there panic attack buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

You (probably) won't get banned but you might get a shameful avatar. Just make a potato.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think potatoshame will be punishment enough.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Potatoes are on the menu for Friday night! :spooky: I'm thinking gratin, I've been wanting to try out the 2mm blade on my food processor for just that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BlueGrot posted:

I'm on sick leave from work due to panic attacks(wtf, gently caress you too, brain), so hopefully that gives me a grace period? Maybe I'll make some potatoes tomorrow, but not the potatoes I planned :c

You can make substitute tuber now and makeup tater later

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I had no idea that the mere act of posting implied a potato.

But potato there is:

Saag Aloo. With the spuds done fondant style.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

You can make substitute tuber now and makeup tater later

Making dinner with potato side right now.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cavenagh posted:

But potato there is:

Oh Steve forgot to post the rules of Cook or Die.

Nice tater.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

But potato there is:

would eat that tater

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Person who eats top ramen and cereal here.

Did some research on various tools like "graters" and will swing by "Bed Bath and Beyond" to acquire such tools after work today.

May or may not post pictures if I decide to "cook" something.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay here's my lovely photo of pommes aligot, brussels sprouts, and bratwurst.

poo poo was dope as hell.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Your dinner looks like a soap opera from 1983

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starting the gratin for dinner, proof to be presented in a few hours.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gratin with heavy cream steeped with garlic and thyme, a la the recipe I posted earlier:

I buttered the pan and the ring of brown on the surface is the exposed butter after 5 minutes under the broiler. The 2mm cut was a pain the in the rear end with there being a million pieces and it didn't create as many nooks and crannies as the 4mm. I made several layers of cheese in order to compensate.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
No picture since my SD card reader isn't working, but I just finished eating that sliced and stacked gratin thing.

I baked it a bit too long, the top layer was very crunchy. But if I removed that top layer, it was beautiful. I also got my proportions wrong, I didn't have a large dish to put in the oven so I decided to halve my materials. Then I remembered that and oz and a fl oz are different things, so I had no idea how much 3 oz of cheese was. Then when I went to actually put the potatoes in the dish, I could only fit 3/4 of what I prepared in there.

All in all, dinner tonight was far more delicious than my usual microwave foods, but spending 2 hours making food for just yourself sucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, but the idea is to make food for the whole week in one day

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Mashed tubers with nutmeg, garlic, sour cream and rich butter. As a side to a thigh and breast of a pheasant. Butter steamed carrots and lingonberry jam. Gravy from drippings.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 1, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I am a total fuckwit and thought the deadline was tomorrow.

Totally plan to pommes soufflé, tonight :shobon:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

Mashed tubers with nutmeg, garlic, sour cream and rich butter. As a side to a thigh and breast of a pheasant. Butter steamed carrots and lingonberry jam. Gravy from drippings.

Would eat that.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Better a later tater than no tater at all.

Made home made potato chips.

Set a ceramic veggie whacker to 0.5mm thickness. Disassemble potato ( large russet baker) into thin disks into cold water.

Swish to remove starch, rinse again in cold water.

Spin in salad spinner to remove excess water.

Rapidly fling into 375 degree oil like you were dealing cards. Don't overcrowd the fryer.

Scoop out of oil with strainer and drain on paper towels.

Sprinkle with salt, let cool a few minutes, eat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nice. Homemade tater chips are pretty dope.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Would eat that.

Would serve it to you.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made lazy pommes soufflé. I used fresh potatoes when older but not too old spuds puff best. And tried to only use one pan of oil which made for under-puffed pommes de terre. But they were still delicious things:

Peeled a few spuds, sliced somewhere between 1/4"-1/2", sloshed in cold water to rinse, drained and patted dry between kitchen towels, fried 15 at a time at 325 degrees (a couple or so inches of oil) for six minutes while agitating to evenly cook.

Pépin would have a second pot of oil at 375 degrees. And he would drain the par-fried slices for a few seconds before dropping them in the finishing oil and fry until puffed and golden, agitating here, as well.

But I opted to par-fry all slices and leave to drain while the oil upper to 375 in the original pot. Then finished them. I think they had too much time to steam/cool/settle before the second fry and it contributed to the under-puffing. When Pépin reports a ~20% failure rate at best when practiced, I don't feel like it was a failure. Especially as you still get a yummy French fry/homefry hybrid at worst.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anything worth doing?

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 3, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Buggery

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 3, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So good you posted three times, even!

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I made the Hasselback potatoes, but no pictures since I only own a lovely dumbphone and my boyfriend and I ate them before I could remember. I used bacon fat instead of butter, with a bit of garlic powder, sage, and cheese on top. My only regret is that I put the cheese on too early and it ended up getting crispy instead of melting into the middles like I would have liked. Still good though!

10 out of 10, would Hasselback again.

Maybe I'll make a gratin when I go to my parent's for Thanksgiving and show them the light of the true potato rather than the boxed stuff.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

This is my favorite avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Update: modernist mash is hilariously too loving sweet when you follow the recipe. It appears that the first time I made it, I forgot to put sugar in the water, but guess what? It was better that way! The second time I followed the recipe exactly and it was pretty saccharine. So I made it ons more time, left out the sugar again and now it's perfect.

• Locked thread