Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I have him in both my Fantasy leagues, so he'd better drag his sweet rear end back to 10th-15th this year.

e- Jimmy, not Reimer.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm in love with the fact that there will be Ramo-esque essays for Thomas Greiss, Al Montoya, Robin Lehner, and Jhonas Enroth.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was going to say you left the part out about how Luongo was NOT traded at the 2013 Deadline and was suicidal in his presser, but then I remembered Luongo is still to come.

a false posted:

well i mean we all already know there are about 3 dozen goaltenders better than jimmy howard, so there's no controversy there

:thurman:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh God. I think I got some PTSD reading that one and I only pull for the Sharks as a Western team.

And it's Nabokov.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

This time, things looked a lot more stable for the Penguins (despite a bunch of weird lead changes for both teams) as they took a two-games-to-one lead and were looking to make it three in game 4 as they had a 2-1 lead with 30 seconds left. Then, Fleury went to play a puck behind his net, completely whiffed on it, the Jackets centered it and, say it with me, Fleury was completely out of position when Brandon Dubinsky potted the tying goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrkoHqPq2I
(credit where credit is due, the Jackets have an awesome goal horn/song combo)

So Game 4 went to overtime. Then Game 4's overtime ended abruptly when Nick Foligno fired a completely routine shot from the blue line and Fleury completely muffed it, giving up the game winning goal and tying a series the Penguins had been 30 seconds from taking a stranglehold on. History was again, for a fifth time repeating itself in Pittsburgh and this time, they didn't even have Voukon to turn to!

I was at this game and that was the most surreal goddamn hockey thing I think I'd ever seen. Funny thing was the crowd was on its feet and I didn't actually see what happened until the replay on the jumbotron.

And here's the GWG for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwQ5dOjRW8

e- The Jackets had MAF rattled and they knew it. As somebody mentioned in the GDT, their strategy was literally "Throw EVERYTHING on goal", and there was one shot where Fleury looked behind him out of terror to make sure it wasn't in.

In Game 6, when the CBJ started creeping back into the picture late in the game, was possibly the only time where a goalie taunt made sense from the trailing team's fanbase. The "FLEUUUUUUUUUUUURY. FLEUUUUUUUUUUUUURY." chants were deafening.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 21, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Professional Dipshit Scott Howson that he had been playing with mono for the past month! And apparently nobody had noticed because Howson had made sure the Jackets' coaching stuff was filled with bobbleheads as stupid as he was. After another couple of starts, Mason was put on to the Injured Reserve to heal.

He had done good and had helped accomplished something meaningful for his team. Perhaps there were better days ahead for the Blue Jackets now?

lol why you askin' questions you already know the answer to son you KNOW this dumb son of a bitch ain't gettin' fired for like four more years, right?

Shortly into the 2009-10 season, the Jackets fired head coach Ken Hitchcock because ^^ that dumb son of a bitch ^^ and I won't directly connect that to what happened to Mason, but regardless, he was bad that year, posting a 3.05 and .901 to go with a record of 20-26-9 in 58 games. Okay, but that's just a sophomore slump, right? He'll be better ne - SHUT UP. SHUT IT UP RIGHT NOW. 3.03 and .901 in 2010-11. loving 3.39 and .894 in 2011-12. Scott Howson kept mismanaging the team, the rest of the teams in the division kept getting better...

So Steve Mason had been terrible, surrounded by crap for three years straight and now wasn't even the starter anymore. At this point, it legitimately looked like he was dangerously close to falling out of the bottom of the NHL and I give him credit for not just bailing on his team to run off and become a deranged mountain man like Tim Thomas did.

Pictured: Artists' Rendering of Tim Thomas circa March 2013

I can't remember what the exact story was with Mason's Mono, but it was either a) He wasn't symptomatic (however that works) and played until he HAD to tap out, or b) He WANTED to play and did until he had to tap out. Whichever it was, he even won games while sick, which is impressive as poo poo. I remember my reaction being "Wait, he has WHAT?".

Part of the problem for all involved was Professional Dipshit Scott Howson acted like the sports-obsessed-father-living-vicariously-through-his-kid-adamant-for-his-kid-to-succeed, refusing to give up on him and giving him a new contract despite awful numbers and generally being a trash fire on skates. The Jackets would probably still have Mason if JD hadn't banished him back to Central Alberta. (Howson was the one thing that remained constant between 2007 and 2013, yet never got fired because he was a nice guy. Cut the head off the snake, etc., but I digress.)

It was revealed later on (this summer) that Mason was considering retiring at the end of his last contract, which is drat sad.

e- Nice job on the Thomas joke. :lol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 23, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

These are awesome and I'd love to see a "Best Of" of the goalies worse than Jimmy Howard.

VJeff posted:

In this case, I don't think you can underrate how much firing Hitch affected things. The team wasn't great, but was kinda middling, close to a spot under Hitch and then they made the 8th seed and then when he was fired, they COMPLETELY bottomed out until 2013.

This is why I posted about "cutting the head off the snake". I think Hitch was a partial scapegoat for Howson's myriad of shortcomings. Horrifyingly enough, Howson was safe as long as he didn't have anyone credible above him and, at that point, he didn't; Mike Priest was President and a total buffoon who knew nothing about hockey (even using corporate personality tests to gauge hockey coaches), and ownership seemed to keep him around because he was a nice guy and all. It was John Davidson who sent Priest to the business side of the house and later canned Howson, which is ironic seeing as Howson is the one who championed JD's hiring.

Hitch's firing LOOKED justified when the CBJ went like 14-6-0 to start Arniel's first season (and had another like 13-3-3 run, negated by two lovely stints), but we all know where that went. Then Howson waited half a season before giving up on Arniel.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If the Wiki were still around, these would be worth copy/pasting as entries. They'd fit perfectly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The "Cat" writing on the front of the mask looks like it was taken right out of a kid's coloring book. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jackets also snagged Foligno for Marc Methot straight up in the Summer of 2012.

e- Which is relevant because he and Bob have become best buds to the point of having this after each win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3g0WVQvcpM

...accompanied by Foligno yelling "BOBROVSKY!" Onrait-style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtAG87gDWc

VJeff posted:

I've honestly lost track of who's all hosed. I know Bobrovsky was out but is back now, Horton's probably done for good and Letestu is still out? I know tere's a ton more than that, though.

It's actually thinning out and getting better. Dubinsky, who may just be the kick-in-the-rear end the team needs, is DTD/week-to-week, Horton's probably done, Letestu is still a couple weeks out, Murray is probably at least a month away, as is Tyutin, both with knee injuries. Cody Goloubef counts as being broken, even though he's really a depth guy who's off to the AHL once all the D get healthy.

At one point, it was Anisimov, Bobrovsky, Calvert, Dubinsky, (e- Foligno), Goloubef, Horton, Letestu, Murray, Wisniewski, with JMFJ suspended. Jenner was out to start the season, and Skille was out for about a week and a half. At any one point, it was two forward lines, a PK unit, a defensive pair, and the starting goalie.

So yeah.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread