Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Name: Al Forno
Race: Monster, probably starting life as a Baby Dragon?
Personality: Al is a descendant of a legendary gourmand and has inherited his family's love of all things food. But while there's a lot of pressure from his family to take up the business of eating all the things the world has to offer, Al finds himself more interested in the actual cooking and preparing of meals. Specifically, the baking, the frying, the searing, burning, toasting, microwaving, basically anything that involves heat or fire. To this end, he finds himself a much more picky eater than his large family would approve of, since he only wants to eat meals that allow him to become a form that increases his ability to cook things. He wants to become monsters that can breathe, conjure, set, or otherwise nuke things with fire. Exclusively. He's kind of a rebel like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Having actually played this game, I'm still not sure how my mind should be interpreting what the Male Mutant sprite is supposed to look like. Some kinda harlequin helmet with batwings? Did he spill paint on his head?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Now that we have magi, we can equip it! Each character can have one type of magi equipped at any given time.
The names pretty much speak for themselves at the moment

Power, okay. Speed, okay. Mana... ambiguous but IIRC that's the name of the Magic stat in this game. "Prism"? Did I miss a screenshot that makes that effect obvious?

Looking forward hearing more about this mechanic overall. Part of what I enjoy about this LP is that it takes these weird game mechanics and turns them into a fairly coherent narrative, which is impressive considering how illogical so many of these mechanics are.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Oh big time. FFL3 is the SaGa game that doesn't play by the byzantine and strict action=growth level up rules, and plays much more like a Final Fantasy, making it much more surmountable. Fittingly enough, Final Fantasy II for the Famicom plays instead like a SaGa game than like a Final Fantasy game proper.

IIRC, FF2 is actually the SaGa creator's first foray into RPGs, and then he went on to make SaGa, Romancing Saga, etc (and even got his hands on FF12, hilarious!). So it makes sense that FF2 is more like a SaGa game than an FF game. I can't recall any specifics, but I do remember at one point hearing that SaGa3/FFL3 was either spearheaded by another director, or had some heavy executive meddling to make the game easier/more traditional, which is why it stands out some much.

How you people that cut your teeth on FFL/FFL2 for JRPGs, I will never understand though. I love the SaGa games to death, but I started with FF1 way back in the NES days and then tried FFL2 as a kid and nearly broke the indestructible brick in frustration. Some 10 years later or so, I discovered SaGa Frontier, which is an adorable child. So I had to play all of its brethren of course. I personally find that of all the SaGa games, FFL2 plays the most similar to SaGa Frontier in terms of party structure and leveling/development systems. It's almost a direct analog. I always end up naming my FFL2 heroes after random SaGa Frontier characters and try to mimic their builds as best the FFL2 mechanics will allow.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Hahaha Jesus, I'm learning all sorts of stuff about this game I never knew before. It's honestly amazing in retrospect that I got as far as I did.

Not sure how true this is, but I once heard that Kawazu said in some interview that he makes SaGa games so labyrinthine in their mechanics on purpose. His reasoning is that every time he plays his -own- game, he wanted to be surprised. On the surface, this comment seems harmless, but when you really think about how games are made... it must take a hell of a lot of complex coding to create something functional where the creator itself has no idea of the expected result. And at that point, I feel you've generally sacrificed user-friendliness, intuitive design, and simplicity completely, which is probably not good game design.

On the other hand, once the mechanics of a SaGa game have been laid bare by enterprising hackers, they are hella fascinating. Though the obviously bugged stuff like the misnamed elemental Magi is kinda irritating as it makes you wonder how much of the complexity is by design and how much is by mistake. SaGa Frontier is probably a better example of Kawazu's mad genius, as it has few bugs but some of the most complicated mechanics formulae I've ever seen.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

That guy is pretty smart and knows more about the game than I do but that site is really ancient. People have decompiled the leveling algorithms since then and the actual chances to gain stats depend on a comparison between a character's stats and the enemies' level (which is probably why he came up with the numbers he did: high agility/low mana is a very typical human stat spread, so if you load up a save you will gain mana very very quickly against advanced enemies but not so much agility.) In general:

-Humans have all-around better stat growth than mutants
-Mutant agility growth supposed to be on par with mutant defense/mana/HP but due to a bug it's somewhat slower
-Human defense and mutant strength have near-zero growth (on purpose for humans, by accident for mutants)

Mutants' stat deficiency is compounded by the fact that new mutant powers preempt stat gains--humans don't have that much of an advantage (except in strength), but each character can only get one thing per battle and if a mutant rolls a new power you don't even get a chance at raising a stat.

Is there a place where all of these stat-gain and skill-gain formulae are housed? I'd be very interested in seeing how this adorable child of a game actually works.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Plus ca change, plus ca reste meme-là.

Maybe we can figure out its effect by breaking it down into its constituents:

Plus: Obviously a reference to addition.
CA: The abbreviation of the great state of California.
Change: What you get when you break a dollar
Reste: It like a Nap, but with a pretentious "E". Nappe.
Meme: Kill these with fire.
La: A note to follow 'So'.

Clearly it's a spell to help Heather with some sort of tax evasion scheme in Cali involving fire, singing, and someone taking a pretentious Nappe. There is no other possible explanation.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Asura United posted:

No, no. "la" obviously means LA, or Los Angeles. Heather is secretly a mattress saleslady for hire, fraudulently telling people how good nappes feel on them, and he's trying to help her dodge taxes in the Los Angeles area of California.

Egads! How did I miss such an obvious clue? drat that tricksy French language and its guilesome ways!

Akratic Method posted:

But I'm pretty sure DjinnAndTonic was just joking around anyway.

Lies and slander. I am always 100% serious. Beep boop, I have no humor sense.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Ah, self-depricating LP meta-humour. It never gets young, really.

I dunno, I prefer "I made a mistake, let's laugh about it!" to "I AM NEVER WRONG, Lemme just leave all this misinformation here, HOPE YOU WEREN'T TRYING TO LEARN ANYTHING FROM MY LP~!"

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Notebook sketch drawn on the train ride home, inspired by the D'aaaaawwww of Zero and Lynn. Chokes, you're awesome.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

The game really expects you to pick a male Human as your main character, doesn't it?

Does the remake at least change up "Dad"s appearance so that he's a Robot/Monster/Mutant too if you chose something other than 'human' for your main?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Hey, not to interrupt all the fascinating sword talk, but what's this about naginata being sexist weapons? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious how a spear is considered inherently sexist compared to a katana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At least the male ones are equally naked.

Maybe it's just really hot on SaGa Planet?

• Locked thread