Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So aside from possible connections from your narrative, are FFL and FFL2 actually connected in anyway? Or are they like most FF games where they are only connected by name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't know why this popped into my head.

Because it's magical that's why :allears:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

There'll be a familiar enemy fairly early in the game, but that's mostly just to re-use an awesome boss sprite and not any real story significance. That's about it.

A couple FFL2 characters make cameos in FFL3, but again they're just a nod to people who beat this game without going mad and not related to the plot in any way.

Ah ok, I was mostly wondering because I did play this one (never beat it), but I didn't play the first.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I started up a playthrough of this thanks to the lp and I forgot just how random mutant powers are. My mutant had three cure spells at one point. It was ridiculous. I couldn't even go through 2 of them before I just needed to restore everyone else's abilities.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Mutant powers aren't actually all that random, and you do have some modicum of control over them...in the sense that you can control what you lose, not when.

I'd explain more, but only if Chokes is okay with it.

oh I know about controlling which ones I lose. I was talking more about what you get.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Love the LP so far, but as a quick side note. You can actually level up defense. It mostly involves just using a shield in combat and then you get a chances at increasing your defense. Mutants have a better chance of this than humans do. In the game I started up my mutant already got up to 15 natural defense by world 3. The trick is that you need to take off all your other armor so that your chance increases since the math includes your current defense rating with armor included to determine your chance (low defense = higher chance of a level).

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Mutants don't just have a "better chance"--for humans, defense gains start at something like 1-in-200. For mutants it's just another stat.

Note that, due to a bug, mutants' strength growth is also zeroed out the way defense is for humans. Hope you weren't planning to rely on Zero's strength in the long run!

Ah My bad, but still point was that defense can be leveled.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

That is right up there with FF2's "hit your own characters to grow HP" as far as intuitiveness goes.

yeah, unless you read it somewhere or for whatever reason gave your non-robot characters a shield to use you would probably never figure it out.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gave them a shield and no actual armor, apparently.

you can still get the levels with armor. It just becomes harder to do.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Celt des Ghoules posted:

Ah, monocles. Were they ever serious eyewear at any point in history? They seem to have been specifically designed to accentuate shock. I was very surprised you didn't have to rip the True Eye from some boss or other. Perhaps after the episode with the oracle they decided there had been enough surgery for a while?

It looks like they were at one point, though mostly only the rich used them. Mostly they were good for helping you see more intricate engravings or designs that you may not be able to fully focus on. This is just from a quick wikipedia search so take that as you will. Seems like it really was just a fashion statement though.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

It's ok Zero, their just jealous of your good looks :unsmith:

e: spelling is fundamental.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I'm going to miss this LP. All these characters have been great.

• Locked thread