Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In'sawllah? Jesus. :gonk:

Chokes McGee posted:

...and that's the story of the Worst Christmas Party in History.

wooooooooooooow

This is the same Christmas party as referenced in the last LP and you're still not gonna elaborate on it, huh :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

^^^ wow guess you're not the only fuddy-duddy :corsair:

MShadowy posted:

Lady of the Saw, eh?

Hmmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Probably just a conicidence.

Bad things are gonna happen to Rezen if she don't get a hairnet or a hat with that saw running :ohdear:

(Man, two pages in and we get excellent art. Must be some kinda record.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Hello, everyone! Sorry for the update delay, I've been involved in some very important things as of late that require my utmost attention.

Also, I made this thing. Yup.

Anyway, expect an update tomorrow-ish. The vast maority of the writing is done, which is always the hard part. Lots of mechanics this time around, a super neat level to explore, and ~plot developments~. Hope to see you there!

Awwww, tiger-stripe domestic just like my Hope :3::hf::3:. Newly adopted?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was tempted to go back and re-read ddegenha's LP of this to see what the hell you're all looking forward to, but I think I'd rather wait :v:

Sucks for your RL situation though Chokes. They at least gonna pay for the motel?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

To be fair to ye olde programmeres, working in a GB cart's 256k (or was it 512k?) means you aren't gonna have a lot of room for things like sanity checks, or at least crashing gracefully. Back in those days, exception handling was for pussies :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 25, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The worst ones are the known ones that require replumbing, by far. At worst, non-repros make you shrug and get on with other business; those other bugs are the ones that test you and your predecessors and coworkers' ability to not have written tightly coupled code, so you don't have to redo whole classes or whatever.

Usually, in my experience, your predecessors, coworkers, and you... are found wanting. :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 26, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes, did you have any hosed music while doing this bug?

In a game like the first Pokemon and many others, memory overrun glitches can affect music too. Music is stored as binary data just like everything else after all, so it's read the same way as, say, sprite data or code instructions are. So glitches that send the software completely out to lunch can cause stuff to be read in and played as music that isn't actually music. Same sort of thing as when your old NES cartridges crashed 'cos of loose contacts or whatever and it made screeches or odd noises or... basically a nasty loving cacophony. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi! Contrary to popular belief, I'm not dead. I know there were posts to that effect early on in the thread, but it turned out I was mistaken. :shrug:

Anyway, writing's finally done, extract starts tomorrow. Hope you guys like ridiculous plotlines, because holy crap, do we have a good one coming. :allears: In the meantime, I'd like to take this opportunity to once more pimp my mini-LP for The Lady. It's a bit outside my comfort zone and is probably going to be for very niche tastes. However, I absolutely friggin' love that game and am trying to get as many people aware of it as possible.

See you guys back here tomorrow. Same saw time... same saw channel.

I have to skip reading your The Lady thing for the same reason I skipped The Cat Lady, but it's nice that developers (and indeed players like yourself :v:) are willing to have a go at showing how rough things can be for the mentally diseased/injured/whatever the word is now. Not a lot of people realize just how much of a pain in the rear end mental diseases are to deal with, considering how drat hard it usually is for the victim to explain. (Believe me I know :v:)

As for the next episode, oh my god I just remembered what the next World has in store from ddegenha's LP. Sara is going to lose her last few god drat marbles isn't she? :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I figured she was gonna see right through the 'banana' malarkey and go nuts when the other three idiots took it at face value. This is a much better result, I feel. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this isn't a geop thread t:mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I read that as Sega Channel, not SaGa Channel, and now I'm sad and nostalgic for my childhood. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man I shouldn't even be smithing. Those were the best days of my childhood far as video games go. Dynamite Headdy, Pulseman, and Shining Force II / Phantasy Star IV with the buggy saves.

:unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

I've said it before, but one of the many, many reasons I smashed it out of the park on FFL1 is because there was literally nothing except some awesome set pieces and a gigantic plot twist. I could do literally anything I wanted so long as it didn't contradict the screenshots. I'm having a lot of fun with FFL2, but I'm not even going to pretend it's the same caliber because there's so much less room to improv. (Which is fine, FFL2 really should just be about four kids having Big Dumb Fun Adventures. But, it makes it hard to tell a riveting story.)

I maintain the reason I'm not doing FFL3 is because I just don't care about the game, at all. Compared to the first two it's just a giant nerfed sack of "meh" to me. It's a great game in its own right, don't get me wrong, but it's not really inspiring and I gots to have my quirky characterizations. :colbert:

In other news, we held in the Battle of Helmsdeep's Codebase long enough for the Senior Software Developers of Rohan to catch up! Now that I'm not putting in insane hours, I can probably update more often! Say, twice a month instead of once. Or not. Definitely one of the two, though.

Chokes if you're a fellow software dev then you know better than to ever declare yourself free of crunch time or mad hours, come on man

:smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi, everybody! This thread's still a thing! In fact, I'm dropping an update this weekend. It's going to be mostly wheel-spinning and cracking jokes, but the twist at the end will blow your socks off! Seriously, get some straps for your socks and something to catch them! They're going to fly right off!!

Will they lead me to wherever all the loving missing left socks go? :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

By the way, Heather is now wielding Odin's spear, Excalibur, and the Muramasa katana. If that's not a hell of a loadout for a fighter, I don't know what is.

Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

any chance you can work a green-painted rooster named Enkidu into the narrative, chokes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man looking back at that mspaintphotoshop Heather has a tiny fuckin' head :(

(Knowing what the major roadblock is, I'm surprised you got through it in as few as 13, Chokes.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dun dun duuuunn (dramatic reverrrrrb)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No no no, you're supposed to lift your wife and give the meds to the wasps. C'mon people. :rolleyes:

(glad your wife's okay chokes)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

I had the Sega Channel back in the day, which was basically a game rental service via cable. The 'channel' was a constant stream of code, which a special cartridge (that you'd connect a cable to, then plug into the Sega Genesis) would interpret; you'd choose one of the available games (the selection changed each month), then wait for the code stream to loop around to whichever one you wanted, and it'd download and run.

Unfortunately, you couldn't save games - well, you could, but there was no battery backup. When I decided to play Shining Force II, I had to leave the Genesis on for a month straight to get all the way through.

Totally worth it. :science:

(Incidentally, even though Slade gets stupid broken, the star of my story was Peter. Hit like a truck, ressed himself so you saved money, and could fly. The final boss battle was pretty much the hero tanking and Peter blitzing the boss where none of the other mobs could even reach him.)

When I had Sega Channel, it would keep saves as long as you didn't play something else in the interim. So every time my brother decided to play Pulseman I'd end up with an SF2 save from, I imagine, one of the cable company or Sega guys who was about a third of the way through the game.

:rip: sega channel, you were way too new and good for your time :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I tried GISing "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gif"

It ended as badly as GISing usually does :(

• Locked thread