Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Every car guy's dream is to have a nice garage, right? We're going to try and do that here on a shoe string budget, just like all my projects :suicide:

I bought my first house about 2 years ago now, and shortly thereafter married my wife. While we were looking for houses, we looked almost exclusively at houses with detached garages/workshops. It took us almost a year to finally find a place we really liked. The house met all of our requirements, albeit the detached garage was a little on the small side. It looked really big when completely empty, and the square footage isn't terrible but it is oddly shaped to use as a garage and I ended up running out of space pretty quickly. It's longer than it is wide, but not long enough for two cars. And not wide enough for two cars unless you move cars around on car dollys. It works well as a really swank 1 car garage with lots of room to work, but a 1 car garage isn't going to cut it for me, as just having one project means that everything else has to be done outside in the driveway. That got old fast.

New garage is going to be built on the same lot with the house, across from where the current detached garage is. Old garage will be used just as a garage, storage, or may be converted to a small apartment in the future. Old garage was 20x28 (560sq ft). New garage will be 30x40x14, 1200sq ft. Will have two lifts, room for 4 vehicles (or 6 if stacked). Will probably have some overhead storage space in the form of industrial shelving or a loft type area.

I don't think the door is to scale, door is an insulated 18'x10' centered along the 30' wall

You can see the four corners staked out where the building will be.

The plan for this garage has been in mind for about a year and a half, and the wheels have been turning for about five months now. We just broke first ground TODAY. Jesus. I am hoping to get everything assembled pretty quickly assuming everything else works out as it should.

Some assembly required

Originally we were hoping to have the foundation completed in the time (2 months) it takes for the building to be produced and delivered, and long story short the buidling has been sitting here for over a month now. We had a 1 month permit holdup (for no reason!) and then after that we've had crap weather and flooding to the point where we couldn't bring in any dump trucks. When we finally thought it was dry enough to bring the trucks in, the first one got stuck.

You can see the monstrous ruts left by the truck. This was after about 85% of the water had been pumped out.

That brings us to current, I got a pump from HF and pumped out the rest of the standing water out of the access drive. We've finally had a few dry days in a row and they were able to come in today and spread out the rock for the driveway and scrape the pad for the foundation. Now that the dump trucks have a compacted driveway, we can get the rest of the fill in for the pad and then start to get to work on the foundation.

I've been wanting to make this thread for awhile now, but I didn't want to be a tease because I really didn't know when we were finally going to be able to start making some real progress. Hopefully I'll have updates at least once a week. I am having a contractor prepare and pour the foundation (and do a driveway to the house) but I will be completing assembly of the building. I can't wait to get started because my current garage looks like a screen grab from Hoarders. (Lifts, presses, workbenches, toolboxes, recovery/evac machines, welders, compressors, lighting, etc.) :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

To not be indelicate... as a man with a house, a yard, no garage, and a dream. What is a rough (very rough) idea of the costs to do this. I'm terribly excited to see this completed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I wish I had that much land to work with, not gonna happen in my part of FL. I've always thought about how nice it would be to move inland and have some land but I don't want to leave the coast. Nice coconut palms, mine died in the last cold snap :(

Awesome that we have another garage thread now that spyder's is pretty much done now :)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I am monitoring this thread. Currently in the planning and early preparation stages for constructing some outbuildings for the family biz.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why are the cat and dog not eating the guy crushed to death under that one car tire?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Awesome. My garage is roughly the same square footage and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't mind more area but it's honestly more than enough. Mine's basically the same layout, even the doors are similar. The only difference is the back 20' or so of the garage is taken up by a bathroom and office with a loft overtop that has a TV and couch/coffee table. It only extends about 75% of the width of the garage and there's a cutout that runs to the far back wall. I'm thinking I'll try and cram a boat back in there.

One mod I really really want to do though is skylights. Natural light is so nice in a garage. I've got a big "window" made out of those clear cinderblocks but it doesn't quite let in enough light.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I wish my garage was that big. I built mine at a paltry 250sq ft because that is all i could fit in my garden.

Are you building it out of a ready-made kit?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man I want that land! I think I might be able to do an extra single on my property but it'd be pushing it.

This is gonna be a great garage.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jealous as gently caress.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

As a side note, a friend of mine's garage is basically my dream garage. Probably big enough to fit 9 cars in side.The very best part (aside from the awesome space it affords) is that it has three garage doors. One of the left side, then two opposite each other on the right side so that you can pull straight through.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

drat I wish I had that much land to work with, not gonna happen in my part of FL. I've always thought about how nice it would be to move inland and have some land

Same for me, except change "don't want to leave the coast" to "don't want to double my commute".

Post lots of pictures so that we can live vicariously through you!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Wanna buy some used lifts?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

DrPain posted:

Wanna buy some used lifts?

Even if it was free, shipping must be a bitch! I was already acquiring tools on top of my existing collection in preparation for the garage build - and then I had an opportunity to buy out a small shop that was leaving town. So I got a 10k Rotary lift, a 9k lift, benches, carts, compressor, welder, ac recovery machine, coolant recovery machine, grinders, signage, lighting, engine stands, engine hoists, jacks, stands, tranny jack, a lot more crap and some misc tools for a really good price.

I had originally budgeted and planned for one lift, and I was on the fence about selling the second lift to make back some money. In the end I decided to keep it, it will offer a lot more flexibility with work flow in and out of the garage.

Budget wise, we are expecting between $40-45k all said and done. This is with $2500 budgeted for a lift, and about $3k budgeted for a driveway to the house we are doing at the same time. That's not for a turnkey building, just a prepped foundation and a pile of building materials (with budget for electrician, lighting, and doors)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don't forget to add a loo.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

El Scotch posted:

Don't forget to add a loo.

A urinal is going into my dream garage build.

Totally envying yet another one of your builds, can't wait for more updates.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Your build looks awesome, FuzzKill!

I've been house shopping for probably 6 months and I've been looking for properties with enough land to build a shop in the back yard, eventually. I had found a very unique house that already had a fully built workshop in the backyard that could fit about 3 cars. It was wired up with 3-4 220V circuits, insulated, AC/heated, the works. It was owned by a guy who raced motorcycles with CMRA.

Unfortunately, the real estate market in my city is such that even with a list-price offer on the day the home was listed, the seller dragged their feet and ultimately sold it to someone else who offered about $1500 more than I did without consulting me (and after I raised my offer to what they asked for, above list). I haven't found anything like it since. :/

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Oh hell yes. I was just going to ask you about this in your other thread, I love construction projects.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

Gonna live vicariously through this thread, can't wait for updates.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Why is there no mid-engined GTI in that model?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

Why is there no mid-engined GTI in that model?

Because that's the reliable daily driver in his stable. :black101:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Very jealous, congratulations!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Second load of rocks is supposed to be coming tomorrow for the remainder of the drive to the building location. More dirt was supposed to be here Monday but finding clean fill has been a problem lately. Everyone either has crap or is charging double the normal rate (or has a crazy load minimum, or both).

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got the second load of rocks here for the driveway, still having problems finding fill. Who would have thought that it would be hard to find dirt ...

Anyway, the one supplier that has it and had been here previously is on vacation. Otherwise trying to work and find another supplier or we have to wait for him to come back - at this rate it'll end up being the same time anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got a load of "top soil" to level out my back yard a bit and plant more Bahia seed, it was loaded with rocks, and that summer my nice Bahia lawn turned into a weed field probably because of all the loving weed seeds in the top soil. Never gonna do that again.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Our dirt supplier is supposed to be coming back from vacation today, so we are supposed to have our dirt being delivered tomorrow morning. The bobcat should be out the day after to spread and compact the loads. After that, I believe we need a compaction test and then they are cleared to start the form work.

I'm going out of town for a few days (of course). I'm expecting a spread, elevated, and compacted pad when I return. We'll see how it goes.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hope it goes well. This is gonna be a sweet garage when it's finished.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Things happened! Hooray!

Got the fill for the pad delivered, not on the day expected but while I was gone at least. When we came back the bobcat operator was working spreading and compacting the loads of fill for the pad. Once that was done, he also scraped our main driveway to the house as we are going to be pouring a concrete driveway there at the same time as the foundation.

Here are a couple pictures, I believe I heard him saying that the form work was going to start on Monday.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Awesome. You gonna let FL goons work on cars for beer when it's done? :q:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

leica posted:

Awesome. You gonna let FL goons work on cars for beer when it's done? :q:

Something like that ...

More progress!

They started on the form work today, so presumably the compaction test came back with no issues.

We also got a TURLET

It's already dark by the time I come home now, my wife snapped these when she came home so sorry for the blurriness. Once the foundation is done and the erection of the building begins that will be all me - so we'll have lots of pictures in between severed fingers, hospital trips, and plenty of cursing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

FuzzKill posted:

the erection will be all me.

You said erection.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

LloydDobler posted:

You said erection.

omg is his erection gonna rub against your volvo? :fap:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
This is sweet... Not sure how I missed it before. It reminds me that I need to talk to my brother about finishing up blueprints for the garage I'd like to build. That's awesome you have so much space and can build a big garage.

Are you going to install an automatic gate in place of the current one or will you just leave it open and/or get out of the car when it needs to be closed?

And is there are reason for working on it this time of year? Cooler in Florida and it's cheaper or is that just how the timing worked out?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Mat_Drinks posted:

This is sweet... Not sure how I missed it before. It reminds me that I need to talk to my brother about finishing up blueprints for the garage I'd like to build. That's awesome you have so much space and can build a big garage.

Are you going to install an automatic gate in place of the current one or will you just leave it open and/or get out of the car when it needs to be closed?

And is there are reason for working on it this time of year? Cooler in Florida and it's cheaper or is that just how the timing worked out?

I'd like an automatic gate but it will probably never happen unless it is next to free. Even so, I'd need two because the main driveway would probably get one first.

Project was supposed to be done August/September but you can see how that's worked out. It's nice that it's cooler out, but it really could be done any time of the year down here.

There were two guys working on the forms today. They widened the footer area around the perimeter and also got the perimeter forms up. The rebar was delivered, they said they plan on starting to lay that out on Monday. Finally got a projected timeframe from him now that he has started, he estimates that the form could be completed in the coming week and ready for the pre-pour inspection. Which would put the actual pour sometime the week after that. I can live with two weeks, that's nothing compared to the waiting period to get to this point!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
They've got a lot more done, but each night when I come home it's already dark so I'll have to share the pictures from this morning.

They started digging out extra footers where the support columns will be, as well as 2 extra pads where the larger of the two lifts will be. They started making the rebar framing as well.

Tomorrow they are going to be doing the termite spraying :rolleyes: for the concrete and steel building. Termites just love them some structural steel. I'd like to personally thank the building department for that, and whoever is in charge of such bullshittery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Any termite tough enough to live encased in freshly poured concrete is one that's too tough to live.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Termites can come up through tiny cracks in concrete to get to the wood structure, ask me how I know.

Unless your garage is being built entirely of steel in which case it would be a moot point.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

leica posted:

Termites can come up through tiny cracks in concrete to get to the wood structure, ask me how I know.

Unless your garage is being built entirely of steel in which case it would be a moot point.

It is!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha in that case I would dispute that poo poo especially if it's a significant amount of money to have done.

Or what you could do is when the person applying the poo poo (probably Termidor) gets there ask them to apply it around your house instead. Since you're paying for it, you should be able to dictate where it goes, right?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

leica posted:

Haha in that case I would dispute that poo poo especially if it's a significant amount of money to have done.

Or what you could do is when the person applying the poo poo (probably Termidor) gets there ask them to apply it around your house instead. Since you're paying for it, you should be able to dictate where it goes, right?

But what if FuzzKill gets a Morgan project car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
They did a lot more today, of course I'll have pictures of that tomorrow :)

I opted to have my contractor lengthen the pads for the lift so that I'll have a lot more play front to back with lift placement. That way I can decide if I want a workbench in front or not and not have to worry about the thickness of the wall/columns/etc. Also will make it easier to work in front of any oversized vehicles on the lift.

They did their BS termite spray or whatever and then covered everything in plastic sheeting. Once that was done They laid all the large rebar sections in place. They also laid the wire mesh down, it looks they they still need to install the spacers to keep it off the bottom of the pour. He originally told me it will be ready for inspection in one week (which would be next Monday), and assuming the inspection is fine it would be ready to pour immediately following that. Judging by progress so far, it looks like we are on schedule.

Pictures from yesterdays work. Looks mostly the same, more smoothing and beveling from the previous day. They also finished staging and prepping all of the rebar and mesh sections

• Locked thread