Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's really cool, so it's like a foot thick around the perimeter and under your lift locations, how thick everywhere else? The perspective of the pics makes it look like it'll be pretty thin. No criticism or anything, just curious as someone who's never seen a concrete pour before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

LloydDobler posted:

That's really cool, so it's like a foot thick around the perimeter and under your lift locations, how thick everywhere else? The perspective of the pics makes it look like it'll be pretty thin. No criticism or anything, just curious as someone who's never seen a concrete pour before.

Yeah the footers are deeper than I was imagining in my head. The remainder of the slab will be a minimum of 4" thick 3000psi concrete. Which is the minimum recommendation for the 10k lift. The 9k lift will just be mounted to the pad. I think the angle of the pictures makes the top look thin by comparison.

Pictures from yesterdays work! Nothing new today, I'm assuming they're pretty much ready to pour or waiting on the inspector.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

This thread is why I thank god every day that I may live in a lovely HOA, but if they arrive and it is already there- what they gonna do?

That said, thinking of making my back yard into a garage.. but only passively. Dog needs to poo poo somewhere, and I hate my neighbors.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
PROGRESS!

They came by on Friday and spaced up the wire mesh for the foundation. I think it is ready to pour, he is just going to put in a board to allow for a small recess where the garage door will be closing. Aside from that, it looks to be ready (to me)

Today they are working on forming the main driveway for the house. That's going to be poured at the same time so they're working on getting that ready to go.

Can't wait to get started on my part! Weather is going to be perfect the next couple months (oh god please don't take that long)

More pics later on. Off to work on the GTI

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
They got the driveway formed up for the most part today.

Driveway should be inspected on Monday, with concrete being poured (hopefully) this coming Thursday. The garage slab already passed the pre-pour inspection.

DUCKS!

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
It looks like you have your ducks in a row on this one. (Sorry, I had to).

Awesome progress!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When are you selling the truck ;)

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Big update today, bigger update tomorrow!

:siren: Concrete is getting poured tomorrow! :siren:

:dance:

I took the day off of work so I should have lots of pictures of the process. I also parked all my vehicles as far away as humanly possible.

We cut down a few trees that were going to be close to the building, they weren't really in the way but they will allow the concrete trucks to get closer and alleviate the potential need for a concrete pump. Driveway will be getting poured tomorrow as well.

Last look without concrete! The three trees were later cut down flush with the ground, to allow the concrete truck access down the side of the building.

I also scored some serious lighting. I had budgeted for 9x 6-lamp T8 fluorescent high bay fixtures. Everyone says to overdo it on the lighting, and I was trying pretty hard. Reviews I saw for buildings about my size said they bought 4 or 5 fixtures and could have gone with less. Wusses. While searching for Home Depot gift cards to try and save some money I found someone selling the exact fixtures I was looking for on Craigslist. I bought 10 fixtures with bulbs for less than half of what the fixtures alone would have cost me at Home Depot (and they had the best price by far!).

They all look brand new or new scratch and dent. Some minor imperfections, but look 99% new. What luck!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Score! What'll be the total wattage on the lights?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Those lights are going to make it a really nice place to work. Great score :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Garage lights are always something to consider. I'm using a bunch of 4' fluorescent fixtures right now. It's a harsh light, but I'm okay with it because if something looks good in the garage, it'll look fantastic in natural light.

Right now, though, I'm starting to look for LED streetlamps to use instead of and/or to augment what I have right now. I've never seen someone do something like that, but I think it could work at a reasonable cost.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I believe they are 32W each so 32x6x9 = 1728W or 1920W if I use all 10 fixtures. I may double the fixtures in front of the main lift so that there is extra light in the area used most.

The fixtures each have two ballasts, so they can be wired with 2 switches for each fixture. That way I can turn on half the lights but still have an even light distribution through the shop.

They are pouring the pad as we speak, about 80% done so far. Waiting for the next truck ...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

Garage lights are always something to consider. I'm using a bunch of 4' fluorescent fixtures right now. It's a harsh light, but I'm okay with it because if something looks good in the garage, it'll look fantastic in natural light.

Right now, though, I'm starting to look for LED streetlamps to use instead of and/or to augment what I have right now. I've never seen someone do something like that, but I think it could work at a reasonable cost.

I'll take some pictures of the highbay led lights we have at work tomorrow, they're 1kw 415v bastards and the heatsinks are a work of art.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I would have loved to use LED lighting for both the geek in me and the energy savings. And the smug. But it would take too long to justify the extra money up front. And the extra money up front is at a premium right now with everything else going on. I'll just have to change 1 spark plug more a month to cover the extra electric. Pictures and time lapse video coming shortly!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
First thing this morning we had a surprise, apparently our Brown Runner ducks have come of age. Had a little surprise left in the pen after I let them out this morning.

We have one mallard and three runner males, one runner female. We noticed the rapes starting a few weeks ago. Poor gal.

Anyway, back to manly man stuff.

They started early, on site a little before 7am and the first truck arrived about 7:30am. The pad was done before 10am, and then they made quick work of the driveway. It doesn't look like it but there is a pretty significant change in elevation in the driveway from one side to the other but they did an excellent job and it looks like it will be a very smooth transition in and out the driveway. We used the fiber additive in lieu of wire mesh for the driveway. Hopefully that doesn't give my driveway the shits.

Pictures!

Hopefully start assembling the upright columns over the weekend. Have to arrange between my brother-in-law's and my own work schedule.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That looks like some really nice concrete work

E: Keep it wet

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The whole driveway is just one large chunk without any rebar/wire mesh? Here in the Dallas area that is asking for cracks all over. Our ground sucks in Dallas.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Alighieri posted:

The whole driveway is just one large chunk without any rebar/wire mesh? Here in the Dallas area that is asking for cracks all over. Our ground sucks in Dallas.

Ground was amazingly compacted under the drive. The fibers act as the wire mesh would, and there will be control joints as well. Plus it never really freezes down here.

Time lapse of the pour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__rP3H5Gd4

And the much less exciting driveway pour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie3a18liZWo

FuzzKill fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 21, 2014

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I thought that cement mixer was awesome looking even before it accidentally spilled a cock and balls of cement outside the formwork

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Should the driveway be textured? Or is that a 'places that get snow/ice' thing?

Like this one here.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

FatCow posted:

Like this one here.

It looks to me like it's got a broom finish in at least on of the pictures... I think it might be the angles of the picture and the cement doing that thing it does when the moisture rises to the top.

The pad and drive look great, I wish they cement was getting poured in my back yard! :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great, hell I'm really excited for you. I don't know what it is but the building stages of these projects are my favorite to watch.

How many cars do you currently have? I know of the Genesis coupe, GTI, most awesome Colorado of all time, and I assume you still have your celica. Anything I missed?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
It's a broom finish on the driveway and smooth in the garage.

I've got the Genesis, Colorado, GTI, and the Corolla (wish it was a Celica)

They're at work currently removing the forms. Hopefully I'll get a few of the upright columns up over the weekend.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I've got the Genesis, Colorado, GTI, and the Corolla (wish it was a Celica)

Welp I just lost and cred I had on AI

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

FuzzKill posted:

I believe they are 32W each so 32x6x9 = 1728W or 1920W if I use all 10 fixtures. I may double the fixtures in front of the main lift so that there is extra light in the area used most.

The fixtures each have two ballasts, so they can be wired with 2 switches for each fixture. That way I can turn on half the lights but still have an even light distribution through the shop.

They are pouring the pad as we speak, about 80% done so far. Waiting for the next truck ...

The rule of thumb is you want 100 lumens per sq ft.

Example: 30x48 = 1440sqft
32w bulb= ~2000 lumens (60% lumen efficiency)
1440sqftx100l= 144,000
144,000/2000= 72 bulbs
72 bulbs= (18) 4 bulb fixtures. or (12) 6 bulb fixtures.

Now this varies greatly due to efficient of the bulb you choose, fixture reflectors, color of walls/ceiling/flooring. I'm using (6) 4 bulb fixtures in my 24x30 bay area. Anything more then that, I will provide spot lighting. The rooms will get (3) 4 bulb fixtures and spot lighting as needed. There is such a thing as harsh/too much light. Plus, power savings. I'm also installing a LED canopy light in the center of each bay/room, all wired to one switch for easy/quick lighting when I just want to grab something.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 21, 2014

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

the spyder posted:

The rule of thumb is you want 100 lumens per sq ft.

Example: 30x48 = 1440sqft
32w bulb= ~2000 lumens (60% lumen efficiency)
1440sqftx100l= 144,000
144,000/2000= 72 bulbs
72 bulbs= (18) 4 bulb fixtures. or (12) 6 bulb fixtures.

Now this varies greatly due to efficient of the bulb you choose, fixture reflectors, color of walls/ceiling/flooring. I'm using (6) 4 bulb fixtures in my 24x30 bay area. Anything more then that, I will provide spot lighting. The rooms will get (3) 4 bulb fixtures and spot lighting as needed. There is such a thing as harsh/too much light. Plus, power savings. I'm also installing a LED canopy light in the center of each bay/room, all wired to one switch for easy/quick lighting when I just want to grab something.

My bulbs are listed as approx 2900 lumens, but do they advertise actual output or theoretical output? I don't know how that works. The housings all have a chrome reflector behind the bulbs (which a lot don't for some reason) and are all 5000k temp. Going by the advertised 2900 lumens * 54 bulbs = 156,600 lumens for 1200sq ft so 130 lumens/sqft. This is assuming they are all on and assuming the advertised output is actual output of course. I am not a lighting expert *lightbulb chat*

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

~75,000 lumens at 660 watts. LED is the poo poo.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Along with potentially too much light, having a high ratio between max intensity and average intensity is also bad. The human eye can only take in so much light. If you have too much light in certain areas, it will obscure your vision significantly in the less lit areas.

So, you may want to put your lighting on a couple of switches or have a dimmer and use task lights. Especially, if you are doing under car work.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Rectal Placenta posted:

Honestly... I don't really like that at all. Too directional, too much shadow. I can imagine seeing anything under the car is a nightmare.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
It's really not too bad, but it would be nice to have everything distributed a bit more evenly. You can't beat free, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Where does that door lead, the 1700s?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

FatCow posted:

Like this one here.

I don't think you would want this for your garage surface. Any oil spills would probably be impossible to completely clean up.

I would think FuzzKill will go with an epoxy finish once he has the structure up, but that requires more surface prep of the slab to do that. So, that leads me to the question of: can you pour a slab that's ready to be epoxy coated, or do you always have to machine/roughen up the slab surface before applying it.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Where does that door lead, the 1700s?

Hahaha, it goes to a rear storage space. Dear antler handles are perfectly modern :colbert:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I have officially gotten INVOLVED with this project, which means the letting of blood has begun. I set down a wooden beam we were using to stack the columns and it rolled off from where I left it and skinned my shin nicely. Blood was spilled before construction even officially began!

Anyway, we staged/sorted most of the stack until we found most of what we would need to begin. We got two of the columns for the sidewall up (which is 4 C-channel beams) and two of the cross-brace girders up. We started working on the first endwall column and the entry door, but since the entry door could theoretically be placed anywhere, it requires cutting and drilling of the bracing girders in order to install it. It was pretty late, and we were wet and tired so we called it quits for the night.

Since it is quite windy/rainy as we were working it wasn't safe or a good idea to leave the last column or entry door installed without being braced to the rest of the structure. So we took them back down and we will go back at it with the grinder, drill, and some daylight.

Here is a night time potato shot

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

I may be an underachiever, but I do have a name!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Hahaha, it goes to a rear storage space. Dear antler handles are perfectly modern :colbert:

That's a dope door, don't let this guy tell you otherwise.

Also, Fuzzkill, this is an awesome project and I love living vicariously through you. With this and your gti. Hope you finish it soon so you have a place to store your toys

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sansteele posted:

That's a dope door, don't let this guy tell you otherwise.

Also, Fuzzkill, this is an awesome project and I love living vicariously through you. With this and your gti. Hope you finish it soon so you have a place to store your toys

gently caress the GTI, the nutso supercharged V8 swapped Colorado and the nutso supercharged V6 swapped Corolla are both way more interesting. Too bad he doesn't have the WS6 anymore...

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

Raluek posted:

gently caress the GTI, the nutso supercharged V8 swapped Colorado and the nutso supercharged V6 swapped Corolla are both way more interesting. Too bad he doesn't have the WS6 anymore...

Goddamn, I haven't seen anything about those. Do you have any kind of thread links, pictures or anything?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sansteele posted:

Goddamn, I haven't seen anything about those. Do you have any kind of thread links, pictures or anything?

Looks like his threads have fallen into the archives, and if he posted about them elsewhere I don't know where. He did post this thread about the truck when he put the 6.0L in, but there's not much content.

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

Raluek posted:

Looks like his threads have fallen into the archives, and if he posted about them elsewhere I don't know where. He did post this thread about the truck when he put the 6.0L in, but there's not much content.

I have archives so nbd, but thanks for that link anyway, goonsir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Lots of stuff happening today!

Here's a pic of what it looked like in the daylight, along with the door framing that we ended up taking back down.

Santa's little helper!

We didn't tackle the door at all, we started going the other direction and wrapped around half the building. All in, we're about 50% done what can be done from the ground. Not bad for two nights after a full day at work AND working in the dark.

The pictures tonight didn't come out as well as the other night but here they are. I'll have some daytime shots tomorrow.

First order of business in the shop is the continuation of the Colorado project :)

• Locked thread