Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

bolind posted:

So is this like an aluminum siding - insulation - plastic sheet sandwich?

Steel siding! Everything is steel except for the door jamb (but the door is).

The insulation has a vapor barrier on the side facing in, the outside is just your standard looking fiberglass batting.

Here's what it looks like. Need to run in the rest of the screws, trim the insulation, and cut the last sheet that is overhanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Looking good so far. How many cuts/bruises has the garage extracted so far?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Alighieri posted:

Looking good so far. How many cuts/bruises has the garage extracted so far?

Ha. I have a large gash on my shin from the first night of work that is still healing. Had a board that was separating the columns fall while moving beams around. That was pretty much it until last night, while walking back and forth between the inside and outside during the sheeting I stood up too quickly and scraped my back on the underside of one of the girders. I have about a 5" diameter bruise on my back from that. Nothing notable besides those two. I did almost fall off the tall ladder twice during earlier construction, that will be an injury for the record books if that happens.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Working by myself most the day today, I cut and installed all the base angle plate around the perimeter of the building. I then staged all the sheeting and insulation over to the 'jobsite'.

I got bored after finishing some Christmas shopping and decided to take a stab at hanging some sheeting by myself. I managed to get the first roll of insulation and the first sheet in place on my own - if I had some more clamps I could have probably managed to do a few more. I ended up waiting for my brother in law to come home and we knocked out the whole wall in about 3 hours give or take. We sheeted right over the walk in door, we figured it would be quicker to cut it in place using the door frame as a guide.

I didn't get a chance to trim the overhang on the back sidewall that we left from the other day, nor did I have time to run in the couple hundred screws we skipped over (just running them in the top and bottom and moving to the next panel for now). When it's all put together each sheet will be held by 30 screws to the framing and 10 screws to the adjacent sheets.

I'll have some pictures in the morning.

Edit: Possibility for rain tomorrow (today), hopefully it skips over us. Not sure if anything will get done in the next couple days, but expecting a lot to get done next weekend.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Pictures as promised!

Starting to look a lot like shop-mas!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking really nice. Any plans for natural light?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

meatpimp posted:

Looking really nice. Any plans for natural light?

No, I don't want windows because of how easy it would be to get inside, and the 'skylight' panels that they make for steel buildings aren't up to the insane building codes we have here thanks to hurricanes.

I picked up some electric shears and trimmed the side walls flush (the last panel was overhanging 2ft). They worked amazing for the vertical cuts, I cleaned up the door jamb sheets as well. It's next to useless for the horizontal cuts thanks to the corrugation. We're using a circular saw for any width-wise cutting.

We got started on the main endwall today, got half of it up. Progress is a lot slower from having to trim the insulation, measure the sheets, and then cut each sheet. Hopefully we'll be able to knock out the remainder of the wall this evening.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got the rest of the front endwall done that night, and finally found some more time to work on it today.

We put the first few sheets of the rear endwall up last night, should be able to get the rest of it up this evening. Then onto the roof!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks great, but holy hell that thing is going to be a giant steel sweat box in the summer :v:

[e] might have been a good idea to put a garage door on each end just for good air flow, but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly with code.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

leica posted:

Looks great, but holy hell that thing is going to be a giant steel sweat box in the summer :v:

[e] might have been a good idea to put a garage door on each end just for good air flow, but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly with code.

No kidding, especially here in FL. Have fun with those summer rains. :v:
Although, minisplits are pretty cheap and can be installed easily enough. :getin:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
It shouldn't be too bad between the insulation and the array of shop fans I have. We are contemplating a pair of double steel doors on the back wall (in the future) to allow for cross flow through the building.

We finished the last endwall tonight, it went up smoothly ... almost as if we had lots of practice.

I'll have some pictures tomorrow - it is now a complete bathtub. Four walls and no roof!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
As promised ...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You're gonna hate life without AC. Get one of those two-piece units, you can find them for 2-300 bucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

revmoo posted:

You're gonna hate life without AC. Get one of those two-piece units, you can find them for 2-300 bucks.

Haha, it would take a hell of a lot more than that to cool that garage dude, a proper unit to cool it would probably bust his budget, never mind the energy costs.

[edit] If anything, maybe have a little "office" in one of the corners with a window unit to get a break from the heat now and then.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 3, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd be looking at some bigass exhaust fans for high up. I had an awesome one in my previous garage and it could push all the hot air out and get a good breeze going inside if you cracked the garage door halfway.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

leica posted:

Haha, it would take a hell of a lot more than that to cool that garage dude, a proper unit to cool it would probably bust his budget, never mind the energy costs.

It's not the initial cost as I have family in A/C, it's the operating costs that I don't want. I've been in South FL my whole life and have worked in steel buildings before. It's not the end of the world.

Here's a time lapse I put together of the assembly thus far. You can tell from how far I had to shift some of the frames that I suck at pictures. Better than nothing!

http://gfycat.com/IdealisticWetAlpaca

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FuzzKill posted:

It's not the initial cost as I have family in A/C, it's the operating costs that I don't want. I've been in South FL my whole life and have worked in steel buildings before. It's not the end of the world.

Agreed. With proper ventilation and fans you won't need A/C, but I can imagine the cooling costs if you did go that route, yikes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

FuzzKill posted:

Here's a time lapse I put together of the assembly thus far. You can tell from how far I had to shift some of the frames that I suck at pictures. Better than nothing!

http://gfycat.com/IdealisticWetAlpaca
Provided you can keep the air moving in and out of the garage you should be ok. Not happy, but ok. With air movement I'd just put an ice cube underneath a ballcap and call it a day.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Just rig up a refrigeration powered coolshirt setup.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Weeeeeee got some sheet done today mang

Got 4 sheets up on each side of the roof, so 8 sheets total out of 28 for the roof (26 full size and 2 1ft sheets)

Getting excited now ... the end is in sight.

Getting the first roll of insulation up sucked, as did getting the first sheet down on each side. Now that you can walk on each side, handing up sheets and insulation is a bit easier. A couple/few more nights at it and we should be down to the trim work.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm too excited for this. Work faster man!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Wasn't expecting to get anything done on the roof today but we did! Put up another 8 sheets, which puts us to 16 out of 26 sheets up. Almost to the 2/3rds mark.

Wish it was a little nicer out, we've been getting drenched with sweat working at night even though it's January. Florida winter doesn't really start for another month or two ...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FuzzKill posted:

Wasn't expecting to get anything done on the roof today but we did! Put up another 8 sheets, which puts us to 16 out of 26 sheets up. Almost to the 2/3rds mark.

Wish it was a little nicer out, we've been getting drenched with sweat working at night even though it's January. Florida winter doesn't really start for another month or two ...

It's 8 degrees F right now, trade you for half the warmth in your air

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Fund your AC with Canadian AI getaways where we can wrench in warm climates

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I love watching new garages go up, it's magic. :allears:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Here's a couple photos of the roof from up top, I was looking at the screw holes from underneath and saw we missed a couple (hard to see working at night).

Hopefully get to work on it tonight, if we don't finish we'll be very close.

Buttons (shop dog!) was very confused why I was all the way up here. She started huffing at me when I told her to come here.

Once the rest of the sheets are up, I'm going to go back and install the overlap sheet screws, tuck in the insulation, and then we can install the trim work.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Will the roof be insulated?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Do the roof sheets come pre-drilled for you? The holes seem like they are in a wierd place in the profile.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My guess would be they are using self tapping screws.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

FuzzKill posted:

Buttons (shop dog!) was very confused why I was all the way up here. She started huffing at me when I told her to come here.

Up until now I had only looked at this picture on my phone and thought it was a close-up of dog poo poo.

Only now do I realize the floor is much farther away than I first thought, and that is in fact a dog and some packaging.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
His dog is both small and far away, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

His dog is both small and far away, though.

Right you are, Ted.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Right you are, Ted.
:hfive:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
What has 4 walls and a roof? My shop, bitches :cool:

Also, before we did that I worked on the first car in the shop. I've had a set of lightweight pullies sitting around for the Genesis that I haven't had the time to install. Between the crank, water pump, and alternator pullies it drops !! 4lbs !! off of the accesory drive. A lot easier to install than a lighter flywheel but same effect.

Now we just have the insulation to tuck in, trim to cut/install, and the doors to hang.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I note a lack of burnouts happening in your photos.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

InitialDave posted:

I note a lack of burnouts happening in your photos.

There is actually a set of tire tracks on the concrete :shh:

Not much going on lately, I got out early today so I trimmed the sheets overhanging the main door, and cleaned up the cuts around the walk in door.

Garage door is full size now, in the other pictures there have been a few feet overhanging on both sides. Door is large.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great, what's are the next steps? Electrical? Hanging doors?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Think I'll ask a question here:

I'm sick of my lovely light in my garage. I usually burn a bulb out a year, and I'm sick of climbing up and replacing my plain old 60w incandescent bulbs. I'm thinking of ripping out the fixture and putting in 2 pieces of a fluorescent fixture, each with 2 T8x48" 32W bulbs.
Good idea?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Think I'll ask a question here:

I'm sick of my lovely light in my garage. I usually burn a bulb out a year, and I'm sick of climbing up and replacing my plain old 60w incandescent bulbs. I'm thinking of ripping out the fixture and putting in 2 pieces of a fluorescent fixture, each with 2 T8x48" 32W bulbs.
Good idea?

Yeah, sounds like a good setup. You can get some combination T8/radiant heater fixtures now too, which might be a nice addition for one or two of the lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How do T8s hold up in cold temperatures? I wouldn't mind some extra garage lighting but ours is unheated and I would hate to get a bunch of fixtures and then them die prematurely due to the cold.

• Locked thread