Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uber lets you bring your bike now

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/uberpedal-launches-seattle/

now instead of cramming your bike in some sap's trunk, he can charge you $5 more to put it on a bike rack on his leased jetta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
still wont take your service dog if you are blind though

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/carl-i...+%28GeekWire%29

quote:

After Andreessen called Icahn an “evil Captain Kirk,” earlier Thursday, Icahn answered this afternoon by ripping the venture capitalist and saying that he’s “what’s wrong with corporate America.”

“He’s screwed more people than Casanova,” Icahn said

quote:

Icahn, who said that Andreessen has a “squeaky voice only a dog could understand,” also explained how Andreessen is likely angry with him because he helped eBay split from PayPal last month.

:aslol:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
is anyone disrupting the market where you build a deck and drink beer and enjoy life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i like big tech bubbles and i cannot lie

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
ya'll other treppers can't deny

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Icahn, who said that Andreessen has a “squeaky voice only a dog could understand,” also explained how Andreessen is likely angry with him because he helped eBay split from PayPal last month.
:iceburn:

PokeJoe posted:

uber lets you bring your bike now

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/uberpedal-launches-seattle/

now instead of cramming your bike in some sap's trunk, he can charge you $5 more to put it on a bike rack on his leased jetta
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swagon/swagon-a-better-bike-ride :

quote:

THAT'S CRAZY, GIMME SOME MORE DETAILS

The drivers are "crowdsourced", so they drive their own qualified cars similar to "Uber".

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

holy poo poo, hadn't heard about that.

are there any blind folks reading the pos? is there any way we can accommodate their needs by making posts literally feel like poo poo?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

filthy regex posted:

holy poo poo, hadn't heard about that.

are there any blind folks reading the pos? is there any way we can accommodate their needs by making posts literally feel like poo poo?

would hate to have a screen reader on teh pos and u get a whoel page worth of BITCHBITCHBITCH quoted over and over

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

its all going to burn to the ground

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

its all going to burn to the ground

from the earth we come, and to the earth we shall return.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i had a white dude come into an interview and say retarded twice this week.

sf trash is invading seattle

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

FamDav posted:

your interview was probably retarded, sorry

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

rotor posted:

from the earth we come
please don't post my most shameful fetish

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i wonder how badly the sharing economy will collapse once VC funding dries up/the tech bubble pops. how many people are gonna be hosed over. will ex-uber drivers still be able to get laid? etc.

apparently the stock market's become pretty volatile recently and is due for a correction or something so maybe it's coming soon?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

some market fuckers are going to get mega paid

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
did you know? a DIY community has sprung up around transcranial direct current stimulation!

it's the practice of running electricity through your brain in order to produce beneficial effects. people saw all these studies (the science behind it apparently does work, providing benefits for cognitive improvement and treating a variety of conditions, although neurologists aren't quite sure why yet), and decided "hey, that's pretty cool! Why should I wait for commercial applications when I can build my own?"

Then they decided "Hey these people want to get in on this, but they don't know how to build these things. I bet I can make and market this!" in the true tech bubble spirit.

The first mainstream device was the foc.us, a TDCS headset marketed exclusively towards "gamers" for "improving your scores" because if they tried to say that it was for any sort of medical purpose at all the FDA would mow them down faster than they could fuckin' blink.

yes that's real. it's right there on their website.

This, In The True Sprit Of Tech Bubble Startups, leads to things like

and

and

As it turns out, this $249 :siren: DEFINITELY NOT A MEDICAL DEVICE GUYS :siren: uses a shoddy, underregulated power supply that spikes the voltage and current way up if you turn it on before you put it on your head.

This rabbit hole is deep. I used to be mildly interested in trying this out to treat my ADHD, but gently caress buying a startup's $250 electric facial disfigurer in order to see if it actually works. I'll wait until I can get one prescribed to me.

However, not all is lost! There's a new startup in the works who plans to manufacture a $120 electric facial disfigurer: ApeX!

"put a recognizeable logo on our website? why bother, it's already on the device"

Wow! It looks pretty heavy duty, with better configuration options than the foc.us, and marketed towards brain electricity hobbyists instead of gamers! I bet it's got some real brainpower behind it. Who are these folks, anyway?

Well... that's a bit sparse. The guy behind ApeX and who posted their new website to the subreddit (22 hours ago as of this post) is named "newb777". That's not very promising. Let's look at his posts and

:shepface:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 10, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

sure they will, just not in the passenger compartment

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
someone in the last thread said they had a shithead coworker mention they couldn't get hired at the post office because they're white so i just wanted to say that this is generally code for "they got mad that i used a racial slur during the interview"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i thought electroshock therapy only worked in extreme cases of depression and other broken brain diseases.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

did you know? a DIY community has sprung up around transcranial direct current stimulation!

it's the practice of running electricity through your brain in order to produce beneficial effects. people saw all these studies (the science behind it apparently does work, providing benefits for cognitive improvement and treating a variety of conditions, although neurologists aren't quite sure why yet), and decided "hey, that's pretty cool! Why should I wait for commercial applications when I can build my own?"

Then they decided "Hey these people want to get in on this, but they don't know how to build these things. I bet I can make and market this!" in the true tech bubble spirit.

The first mainstream device was the foc.us, a TDCS headset marketed exclusively towards "gamers" for "improving your scores" because if they tried to say that it was for any sort of medical purpose at all the FDA would mow them down faster than they could fuckin' blink.

and

and

As it turns out, this $249 :siren: DEFINITELY NOT A MEDICAL DEVICE GUYS :siren: uses a shoddy, underregulated power supply that spikes the voltage and current way up if you turn it on before you put it on your head.

This rabbit hole is deep. I used to be mildly interested in trying this out to treat my ADHD, but gently caress buying a startup's $250 electric facial disfigurer in order to see if it actually works. I'll wait until I can get one prescribed to me.

However, not all is lost! There's a new startup in the works who plans to manufacture a $120 electric facial disfigurer: ApeX!

"put a recognizeable logo on our website? why bother, it's already on the device"

Wow! It looks pretty heavy duty, with better configuration options than the foc.us, and marketed towards brain electricity hobbyists instead of gamers! I bet it's got some real brainpower behind it. Who are these folks, anyway?

Well... that's a bit sparse. The guy behind ApeX and who posted their new website to the subreddit (22 hours ago as of this post) is named "newb777". That's not very promising. Let's look at his posts and

there was a radiolab on this. if you wear it while playing a murder simulator you are better at murdering! (also if you are doing it a second time and arent sleep deprived and the people selling it are running the murder simulator but its totally ~the electrons~)

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

fits my needs posted:

i thought electroshock therapy only worked in extreme cases of depression and other broken brain diseases.
the brain deserves punishment and the only way to do that is to shock the poo poo out of it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fits my needs posted:

"electroshock therapy" usually refers to electroconvulsive therapy, which is almost completely different from transcranial direct current stimulation which works at much lower power levels, with a DC instead of AC current (so no convulsions) and has some promise to treat depression, chronic pain, improve attention and learning, and so on and so forth, but hopefully after actual clinical trials instead of with jump-the-gun gamerdevices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fits my needs posted:

that is a radically different thing than this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

in on the ground floor with derails already started itt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

theadder posted:

honorary denver mention we got a lil bubble too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQLS93ba3I

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

honorary denver mention we got a lil bubble too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQLS93ba3I

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Just put it on the woof

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
uber drivers arent employees. theyre "independent contractors," meaning that uber has no responsibility to them: no benefits, no minimum wage, no protections. uber promised these workers a certain rate / mile & then cut it in half. and these workers have no recourse. what can you do? TIP. you should have been paying twice what you did anyway.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

from the earth we come, and to the earth we shall return.

this is basically that cool thing priests say on ash wednesday

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FamDav posted:

that's retarded. and queer.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the sharing economy's independent contractors are gonna have a LOT of fun come April. "What do you mean I owe 33%+ of my income last year plus additional fines for not paying quarterly?"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

the sharing economy's independent contractors are gonna have a LOT of fun come April. "What do you mean I owe 33%+ of my income last year plus additional fines for not paying quarterly?"

I'm so loving excited to see the posts come April. It's going to be a meltdown of epic proportions.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

atomicthumbs posted:

jump-the-stun-gun gamerdevices.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

and

and

bitches be treppin

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
someone posted in the last thread something like 'we are getting a cyberpunk future, but just the lovely parts', and folks attaching a hobby psu to their temples for while theyre gaming is a fine example.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
lol if you dont janitor your jolt sequences

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

theadder posted:

my eustachian tubes are all blocked up, is there anything i can do to help them drain

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I may have mentioned it in the previous thread but Travis kalanick is in real life a goddamn piece of poo poo. I have no problem believing any of the scummy reports about über because that's just the kind of stuff he would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

The Management posted:

I may have mentioned it in the previous thread but Travis kalanick is in real life a goddamn piece of poo poo. I have no problem believing any of the scummy reports about über because that's just the kind of stuff he would do.

the second uber hits any kind of legit trouble, there will be about 7,000 sexual harassment lawsuits that will start pouring out of that building. When I walk to work, I pass by their HQ and I see nothing but frat bros and women in super tight outfits going in. That place is probably run like a frathouse because everyone going in sure dresses like it.

• Locked thread