Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its surprising 2 me that grown ups watch wwe/wcw etc wrestling hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

i had a psych professor who said she liked to watch it with her teenaged kids even though she was otherwise pretty smart

the impression i get is that it's kind of a funny fake soap opera with sweet bodyslams (i don't know the names of the moves) and sweaty nearly naked dudes and sometimes women

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

same

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

syscall girl posted:

i had a psych professor who said she liked to watch it with her teenaged kids even though she was otherwise pretty smart

the impression i get is that it's kind of a funny fake soap opera with sweet bodyslams (i don't know the names of the moves) and sweaty nearly naked dudes and sometimes women

It's guilt free homoeroticism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a tv show like any other. nearly everyone has at least one dumb tv show they enjoy watching.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real. like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad because IT'S ALL JUST PLANNED OUT AHEAD OF TIME AND FAKED

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real. like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad as a result

"the fiction i enjoy is better because the fiction you enjoy is, in fact, fiction but pretends to not be"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real. like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad because IT'S ALL JUST PLANNED OUT AHEAD OF TIME AND FAKED

ehhhh this was more an issue when they tried to pass it off as a legit sport

but yeah they haven't even pretended it's real since like 1997 so the whole 'its faaaaake' thing is super dumb now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how can anyone not love this poo poo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's guilt free homoeroticism.

the men are too ugly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Wwe is tied too much to slim shady, dmx and everything else about jr high

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

ehhhh this was more an issue when they tried to pass it off as a legit sport

but yeah they haven't even pretended it's real since like 1997 so the whole 'its faaaaake' thing is super dumb now

Vince McMahon's boner when he was sniffing that guy's taint? That was way real.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

gonna be OK, we can redefine terms a few times and then it's on our kids. (I hosed up and had a girl, but she's white and cute so I probably get to at least be indoors in my dotage.)

bubble relativism question: is instacart as bad as uber? 1099 economy, but substantially less concerned about my 2% milk getting raped or hammer-smashed by someone.

take the vc subsidy while it exists

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

several of my coworkers sincerely believe that every second of pawn stars is pure unscripted real life.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Loooool I haven't watched wrestling since 7th grade, but this gif might make me fix that.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i don't even like wrestling and will readily admit that this is incredible

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
I havent watched a wrestling match on television since I was 10 but a little while back I got sucked in by OSW Reviews & wikied a ton of wrestling history. Holy poo poo the psychotic business dealings and roided up adult children throwing millions of dollars around unchecked for decades and losing it all is far better drama than what they put on air.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAfyDY-rSo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

can anyone stabilize mask-removed-to-reveal-mask at avatar size?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

also gettin upset to learn that musicians and singer personality types sometimes don't write their own music

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This says so much about the male condition in modern America, in a way that Fields of Gold never could. Bravo, Sting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cremnob posted:

take the vc subsidy while it exists

yeah, but as a career choice. apparently they already handle 5% of safeway's business?

pr0zac, ultramiraculous: you never saw this conversation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real.

because when you say that, you get angry nerds shouting:

Sagebrush posted:

like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad because IT'S ALL JUST PLANNED OUT AHEAD OF TIME AND FAKED

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Citizen Tayne posted:

male condition

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the wacky backroom backstabby poo poo and weird personality clashes that end up leaking through on screen are usually more entertaining than the product

everyone involved in the wrestling business is insane

read this book if you want to see how self destructive and insane WCW was

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 14, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luigi Thirty posted:

the wacky backroom backstabby poo poo and weird personality clashes that end up leaking through on screen are usually more entertaining than the product

same in software, so often. last few jobs I've taken I've tried to negotiate an MTV camera crew into the deal, but I've always given up too easily

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hulk Hogan convinced the guy who ran WCW to give a 45 year old Roddy Piper with one hip a job for hundreds of thousands of dollars so he could get his win back from nearly 15 years earlier in what was considered one of the worst matches of all time

he then convinced them to do the same thing with ultimate warrior

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just started reading this a couple days ago and it's great

I just realized that with my stupid fuckin $9.99 subscription I could go watch along while reading about these lovely matches, but I probably shouldn't bother

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

the "wrestling is stupid and fake" thing was an image that was intentionally created because it sweeps the excess and human toll that comes with modern wrestling under the rug. vince mcmahon should be a tech idol, lol everyone's a contract worker with no benefits and can be axed whenever, lol no regulations just lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

Loooool I haven't watched wrestling since 7th grade, but this gif might make me fix that.

watch roh/wwe, don't watch tna it is really bad and about to die

Luigi Thirty posted:

did the psp douchebags in wrestling thread get goldmined or just closed

abraham linksys posted:

I just started reading this a couple days ago and it's great

I just realized that with my stupid fuckin $9.99 subscription I could go watch along while reading about these lovely matches, but I probably shouldn't bother

the best part about the book is how they take the time to call out the stupid things that have been done since they published the original edition

also this list is always worth a read

quote:

"Dusty Rhodes got a gig on a three hour prime time Friday Night show 'Motor Madness' on The Nashville Network. It's a show covering Monster Trucks, but using pro wrestling storylines. Rhodes is announcing the show. From what we understand, he was terrible and almost incomprehensible in his debut" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000450;p=0

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OldAlias posted:

the "wrestling is stupid and fake" thing was an image that was intentionally created because it sweeps the excess and human toll that comes with modern wrestling under the rug. vince mcmahon should be a tech idol, lol everyone's a contract worker with no benefits and can be axed whenever, lol no regulations just lol

they're holding wrestlemania in levi's stadium next year

:vince:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

"There is a method to Jim Herd's madness about bringing in Long John Silver that no one seems to realize. He's the perfect contender to Ric Flair's title, because Long John Silver would be immune to the effects of the figure four leglock" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990.

quote:

"NWA will open negotiations with Kerry and Kevin Von Erich. I can understand taking the chance on Kerry but see no reason whatsoever to hire Kevin. Actually, Kerry would make a great Long John Silver" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990

:smith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

quote:

"Miss NWO finally ended with the sight of Bischoff French kissing an overweight mid 50s woman to no cheers, even fewer laughs, and a lot of gagging around the country. By this time the show was as much fun to watch as three hours of somebody masturbating. In fact, I'm not sure that isn't what we were watching." - The Wrestling Observer: February 3, 1997.

ayn rand hand job posted:

did the psp douchebags in wrestling thread get goldmined or just closed

closed but here's the link

the funniest was when a wrestler who nobody will employ because he's so hard to work with thought that the independent place he was working for was making him look bad so he literally threw a hissy fit in the middle of the show and had to be carried out of the arena by security

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i had no idea how much white trash there is in yospos

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i lied, the actual funniest is when kevin nash jumped from wwf to wcw for some obscene amount of ted turner money. vince mcmahon said "dammit, we own him, get me a new one" so on TV they announced that he was COMING BACK to WWF. the wcw management freaked out thinking he was really going back to wwf and offered him an even bigger contract for less shows and he didn't tell them a thing and signed it

then fake kevin nash appeared on tv and they were like "welp"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

i lied, the actual funniest is when kevin nash jumped from wwf to wcw for some obscene amount of ted turner money. vince mcmahon said "dammit, we own him, get me a new one" so on TV they announced that he was COMING BACK to WWF. the wcw management freaked out thinking he was really going back to wwf and offered him an even bigger contract for less shows and he didn't tell them a thing and signed it

then fake kevin nash appeared on tv and they were like "welp"

holy wow that is legit impressive

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i had no idea how much white trash there is in yospos

yeah sometimes I don't know what to think

some of you guys know shameful amounts about professional wrestling

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hulk Hogan convinced the guy who ran WCW to give a 45 year old Roddy Piper with one hip a job for hundreds of thousands of dollars so he could get his win back from nearly 15 years earlier in what was considered one of the worst matches of all time

he then convinced them to do the same thing with ultimate warrior

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
actually the best thing about the wwf was when they lost the lawsuit on their initials to the world wildlife foundation

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nah the best thing was when he started a bodybuilder league and almost went down on steroids charges the next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

DNova posted:

some of you guys know shameful amounts about professional wrestling

i dont know anything at all about it so do i win

• Locked thread