Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay, a nuclear bomb that only affects white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shaggar posted:

why didn't you just drive her there?

cant be a doormat all your life

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Luigi Thirty posted:

the world would be better off if 1866 Mississippi had a nuclear bomb detonated on it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the opposite of grover's melanin-seeking lasers

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Luigi Thirty posted:

its called 'black people move in nextdoor'

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
remember that zillow sexual harassment lawsuit? well it turns out that in addition to that one, zillow is facing three other labor rights lawsuits right now. one for not giving employees breaks and forcing them to work unpaid overtime, one for retaliating against an internal whistleblower who discovered his office was committing widespread fraud and reported it to upper management, and another discrimination case from a middle-aged woman who faced both sex and age discrimination and got fired when she was in the hospital.

quote:

3. Ms. Young was quickly exposed to Zillow’s “frat house” and “boys club culture” where binge drinking and the willingness to participate in lewd discourse was rewarded by lucrative assignments in the form of Zillow managers routing incoming calls for potential sales leads.

4. As a result of Ms. Young not participating in the conduct described above, Ms. Young’s sales manager would make comments to her during the course of her work day such as “are you too old to close?” and “try to keep up with us.” It was commonplace at the Zillow office for managers to inform employees, including Ms. Young, that if you do not “drink the Zillow kool-aid” there would be no opportunity for career advancement.

5. Ultimately, on October 11, 2014, Ms. Young was hospitalized because her preexisting injuries caused by a car accident were exacerbated by the work conditions and work hours at Zillow. Specifically, Ms. Young was required to stay standing for up to three hours at a time, being wholly prohibited from sitting during these hours by her managers. This practice known as the “blitz” still occurs to this day.

6. Ms. Young notified her manager, the human resource department, and the Chief Executive Officer, Spencer Rascoff, of her injuries and provided a doctor’s letter reflecting her hospitalization as Zillow had requested. While she was hospitalized, Ms. Young also requested accommodations for her medical condition upon her return to work. Unbeknownst to Ms. Young, while she was hospitalized, Zillow had reassigned her book of business to other younger inside sales representatives at Zillow. Before Ms. Young could return to work, she was terminated on the pretextual grounds of “job abandonment” due to her hospitalization.

quote:

20. Zillow management had a policy of refusing employees’ requests for legally-required meal and rest periods in violation of California Labor Codes section 226.7 and 512. Ms. Young and other employees were regularly required to remain in the building during their meal and rest breaks and were required work at their desks during lunch.

21. Zillow also had the unlawful policy of randomly designating specific hours of the day, which Zillow management would call “the wave” or “the blitz,” in which employees, including Ms. Young, were either not allowed to standup and/or were not allowed to sit down while the employee makes non-stop sales calls. These designated periods would routinely last for approximately two to three hours.

22. Since the inception of Ms. Young’s employment, she was required to take part in these randomly designated “wave” or “blitz” periods in which she was not allowed to sit, stand, or take a break from making sales calls. Ms. Young understood, as did other employees, that if they did not participate in the “wave” or “blitz” their employment with Zillow would be terminated.

23. On or about July 7, 2014, Ms. Young was hospitalized in connection with an automobile accident which caused injuries to her neck, back, and shoulders. Ms. Young informed her manager of her accident and hospitalization.

24. Fearful that she would be terminated if she requested time off, since Ms. Young witnessed the termination of other employees who requested time off at Zillow, Ms. Young returned to work the following day. Despite Ms. Young’s consistent pain, she continued to work, successfully performed her duties, and consistently met her sales goals and other criteria established by Zillow.

25. Following her car accident, Ms. Young would feel extreme pain in her back as a result of sitting or standing for the unreasonably long portions of time which Zillow required during the required “blitz” and “wave” call periods. On several occasions, Ms. Young would request that she be allowed her legally mandated meal and rest breaks, and also required that she be allowed to stand up or sit down during the required “blitz” and “wave” call periods.

26. On several occasion, Ms. Young would inform management of her condition and difficulty showing up to work at 6:30 a.m. or need to go to physical therapy on her lunch breaks. Nonetheless, she was chastised and reprimanded on numerous occasions.

and this is all just from the one that's only alleging age discrimination. i wish i could see the look on the judges face when he reads this, there's like five different illegal things in it

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

FMguru posted:

its also one of the very few current applications of 3d printing that shows some immediate utility (3d printing custom artificial limbs for very cheap) as opposed to making blobby yoda figurines. developing world countries with landmines or ongoing civil wars have a lot of people missing limbs and not a lot of money for decent prosthetics.

fun fact: in 1866 one-fifth of the state budget of mississippi went towards the purchase of artificial limbs

make-work, the economy works!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Main Paineframe posted:

remember that zillow sexual harassment lawsuit? well it turns out that in addition to that one, zillow is facing three other labor rights lawsuits right now. one for not giving employees breaks and forcing them to work unpaid overtime, one for retaliating against an internal whistleblower who discovered his office was committing widespread fraud and reported it to upper management, and another discrimination case from a middle-aged woman who faced both sex and age discrimination and got fired when she was in the hospital.

and this is all just from the one that's only alleging age discrimination. i wish i could see the look on the judges face when he reads this, there's like five different illegal things in it

Thing is, in a culture like that she'll be seen as the person who ruined their culture.

Also I had no idea zillow actually sold anything.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I still don't know what zillow actually does

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

I still don't know what zillow actually does

it's an online realtor

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
...but but their Glassdoor rating is a solid four! :ohdear:

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Thing is, in a culture like that she'll be seen as the person who ruined their culture.

Also I had no idea zillow actually sold anything.

Sales is how they make most of their money. They hawk their various services to realtors and the like. Their growth has been ridiculous (full disclosure, I own stock in them :ssh:, although I should probably sell on this news). It looks like all these lawsuits are directed at their sales department too. Sales always seems like the septic tank of most companies where all the poo poo gathers. It's as if there something about it that attracts unreputable people :iiam: (oh wait, no it isn't) :ms:

For a long time I wish I had applied with them (development not sales :smugbert:) before they went public. Guess my inaction once again resulted in my dodging a bullet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
from anecdotal evidence but it seems like zillow's getting locked out of entire markets anyway so their days of ~disruption~ may be at an end regardless of suits

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wonder what kind of autodialer zillow uses

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

:sherman:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA posted:

LOUD - you will have people screaming, cheering, clapping, noise makers, loud music, etc ALL DAY EVERYDAY
Its a non stop pep rally and the farthest thing from a professional sales environment you will ever see.

Revolving door - 90% turnover - don't believe otherwise

35k base salary

Long hours - expect 10-12 hours a day to succeed for your first year - sometimes more

Job outlook - This job never gets easier, don't believe the hype. You will make even more calls tomorrow than you did today. There are 200+ sales reps calling the same zip codes, talking to the same agents, about the same product day after day.

Call time - you are REQUIRED to TALK 210 minutes everyday (no, the phone ringing doesn't count towards it)
You will be expected to hit this number every day. Skip lunch, come in early, and stay late but for gods sake don't miss call time. (this correlates greatly to the 90% turnover).

You will be told to stand up constantly. Some managers will even take your chair away from you.

You will be discouraged from ever taking time off. Management pretends they need advance notice to take your PTO. They will railroad you if you are sick and expect that you work anyway.

You will sell terrible advertising packages because you have a quota to hit. You know its not worth what it costs but you'll sell it anyway. (This is a flaw because the product can work well when sold correctly)

drat!

"Sorry Billy, Chairs are for earners."

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jokes on them everyone knows charis are bad for your health

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

TerminalRaptor posted:

I own stock in them :ssh:, although I should probably sell on this news

jee you think

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

A woman in India says she was raped by a taxi driver after booking the cab using the popular Uber smartphone app.
The 26-year-old from Delhi told police she dozed off in the taxi and when she woke up the vehicle was parked in a secluded part of the capital.

looks like Uber's gone international!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

Sales is how they make most of their money. They hawk their various services to realtors and the like. Their growth has been ridiculous (full disclosure, I own stock in them :ssh:, although I should probably sell on this news). It looks like all these lawsuits are directed at their sales department too. Sales always seems like the septic tank of most companies where all the poo poo gathers. It's as if there something about it that attracts unreputable people :iiam: (oh wait, no it isn't) :ms:

For a long time I wish I had applied with them (development not sales :smugbert:) before they went public. Guess my inaction once again resulted in my dodging a bullet.

ya their glassdoor page is a hoot too. half the reviews have responses from upper management and i'm pretty sure some of them are fake astroturf reviews, like the one that calls the CEO by his first name and praises him personally.

of course, who wouldn't want to work at a company which gets glowing reviews like this

quote:

“Smart people & beautiful women everywhere! ”
4 Stars - Former Employee - Zillow Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros
The pay is decent, commission potential great!
My manager was super hot!

Cons
Low inventory making it unfair for a newer employee to build a book of business.
It feels like a total grind everyday.

Advice to Management
Add a variety of products to sell so you don't have high turn over.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

but we can't have a daily driver that has reliability issues. it's just not acceptable anymore.

lol if you need to drive daily

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah foresters have like 1" more ground clearance than most "SUV-class" vehicles. and they drive like a car pretty much

They drive like a car because they are a car, it's an Impreza with a hopped up suspension and different sheet metal.

Apr 7, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

if exploitation of employees (particularly women) bothered anyone, wal-mart would be dead instead of ultra successful. and for all the noise that people make about privacy it never seems to have much real impact on the way people behave

as long as the customer experience is preserved at all costs people won't give a poo poo. i think americans would be okay with a store that literally physically beat their employees for mistakes as long as the manager had the decency to drag them into a closed off and soundproofed room so the customer doesn't have to see or hear it (with an optional viewing window in case the customer would like to see and hear it)

The average man on the street enjoys patronizing companies that abuse their workers, because the average man on the street likes having an underclass he can order around, someone worse off than he is no matter how lowly he is.

If they didn't like it, they would get another job!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Citizen Tayne posted:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol if you need

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
ha ha!

not really

Apr 7, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

ha ha!

not really

lol at you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

ok fine no more zillow for me. ugh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's not like even their main business model isn't also jerktech, they get all their info from scraping other websites, but at least the interface wasn't terrible like all the local real estate agencies' sites

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

jesus christ lay off the emoticons buddy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lets take a break from reading about the horrible exploits of horrible techbros and cast our eyes to silicon valleys polar opposite - the great state of pennsylvania. a place where people have their morals right, where crap like recent events at uber and zillow just would never happen. please, pennsylvania, restore some of our lost innocence to us.

quote:

Jessica Padgett's stepfather videotaped himself having sex with Padgett -- after he'd killed her -- according to Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli.

"So there's a videotape of him abusing the corpse sexually," Morganelli told The Morning Call.

This new information means that Graf will not face the death penalty if he's convicted. Desecration of a corpse is not an aggravating factor in Pennsylvania, as opposed to sexual assault while a victim is alive.

Graf was in his first public appearance in court when this fact was revealed. He requested a public defender but was denied because of his wealth.
helpful tip for our pennsylvanian yosposters - be sure and sexually abuse the womans corpse after killing her so you avoid the death penalty. news you can use!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

seconding this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Werthog 95 posted:

it reads like one of nicsho's buttcoin articles

wait. is nicsho a goon?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the entire state of pennsylvania is complicit in the coverup of sandusky's child rape spree, idk where you got that impression of pa

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

it reads like one of nicsho's buttcoin articles

wait. is nicsho a goon?

he pretty much broke down on twitter after one person complained about him, i think he'd kill himself if he found the buttcoin thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Werthog 95 posted:

he pretty much broke down on twitter after one person complained about him, i think he'd kill himself if he found the buttcoin thread.

tweet him a link :unsmigghh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sounds like zillows culture is ripe for disruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

sounds like zillows culture is rape for disruption

• Locked thread