Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the sharing economy's independent contractors are gonna have a LOT of fun come April. "What do you mean I owe 33%+ of my income last year plus additional fines for not paying quarterly?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

The Management posted:

I may have mentioned it in the previous thread but Travis kalanick is in real life a goddamn piece of poo poo. I have no problem believing any of the scummy reports about über because that's just the kind of stuff he would do.

the second uber hits any kind of legit trouble, there will be about 7,000 sexual harassment lawsuits that will start pouring out of that building. When I walk to work, I pass by their HQ and I see nothing but frat bros and women in super tight outfits going in. That place is probably run like a frathouse because everyone going in sure dresses like it.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

does that snapchat thing count as a tech bubble

snapchat's internal API is exposed to the public so there are third-party snapchat sites and picture saving sites and poo poo

well one of them saved all the pictures it came into contact with and someone posted them all on the internet and 4chan is making a website for it

many of them are underage high school dick pics and boob pics so lol hope you like your distribution charges

also snapchat blaming its users for privacy violations. how this is an actual company is beyond me. someone just sunk a shitload of money into them though. yahoo?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

How does "we built a framework that allows people to save your private photographs without your consent" translate to "It's your fault if people are saving your photos without consent"?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

The “bros” in this video had every right to the field. If anything the kids were just being rude. Just because you have lived somewhere forever doesn’t mean you have a claim to anything. If there was a process in place to reserve the field and it was followed then it is too bad for you and your pickup game. Fields are reserved all across the country and have been forever. It doesn’t matter if you had to reserve through an app, online form, or through a paper application. They reserved it. It doesn’t make you right just because you don’t like or agree with something. Get off your high horses and quit blaming everything on smart, hard working, well paid professionals.

Columbus: No, no, look at this tablet. It says we own this land and all the gold contained therein.

Native Americans: How long have you been in the neighborhood?

Columbus: Who gives a poo poo about the neighborhood?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

uber doesn't give a poo poo and I don't know why people don't get this because not giving a poo poo is their thing. uber riders have had a collective "I don't give a gently caress about regulations so long as my ride is cheap" attitude from the beginning but as soon as they wind up on the other side of "gently caress you got mine" they're screaming to high heaven

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

This is the part that I find the most frightening; if I watch a video where you have someone giving a talk on an important issue, something people should be paying a huge amount of attention to, it may have a few hundred views on youtube, or maybe a few thousand. By comparison if you pull up some mindless pop video a few hundred million have watched it. People should care about these things but don't. It's bizarre to me that in this age of complete saturation of information it seems more difficult to find actual information.

people don't give a poo poo and just want mindless entertainment

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Whisper became a darling of the L.A. startup scene based on one simple premise: an app that lets you safely, anonymously share details of your life. But a new report from The Guardian shows the company has been covertly tracking the people who trust it most.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/this-is-how-whisper-is-tracking-its-anonymous-users-1647143023/+laceydonohue

Whoops there goes Whisper's entire business plan

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with people's minds that makes them think "i have secrets, but i will share them with the world, but it will be okay because i'm doing it on THE INTERNET"

there are so many incredibly wrong ideas required to get to that point

It will probably take a few more years for people to actually understand that the data still exists even if it's no longer on their phone. This is a lesson people just haven't been able to wrap their heads around yet.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Smythe posted:

My car is a busted up Toyota now and not only do i not even notice dings, but I don't care. Its a wonderful feeling.

i had an old buick skylark that was so beat up the windows didn't even roll down and one time i got rear ended by an old black lady on the highway (it wasn't bad at all) and it was awesome to walk over to her while she was freaking out and say not to worry about the dent in my bumper cos i didn't care.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

residency requirements are good because officers who have to live amongst the community they police are going to be far less brutal. see the difference between St louis city police and St. Louis county police

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

yup. let's be fair here the target audience isn't the users it is the gullible investors who are convinced that snapchat is worth $10b

good ads can get people to watch. it's just that good ads are hard to make and companies are convinced that using personal info to target ads means they can half-rear end on the quality of the ad

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

there should be a way to pledge money against a kickstarter

shortstartr where you bet against a kickstartr succeeding and if it fails you get a portion of what they would have raised. like shorting stocks, but for poor people!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

just look at him. no wonder he's mad

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

why do you think the bubble burst last time?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i know some black nerds. i don't know any black geeks, though. maybe you mean black geeks.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

valleywag.rss:

quote:

A few weeks ago, a startup founder showed up in the lobby of The Chronicle after hours. He told me I hadn't responded to his e-mails. And he wanted to get my attention.

He delivered his pitch, along with a wicker basket filled with sexually suggestive gifts: the sex toy, a tube of K-Y Jelly, raw oysters and Tequila.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/tech-founder-sends-female-reporter-gift-basket-loaded-w-1650547593/+laceydonohue

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Google glass is dead:

quote:

In a post that was apparently heard 'round the world, Reddit user/Glass "Explorer" pete716 says he was told by Twitter support that the company has ceased work in its Glass-specific app, and that "If you remove Twitter from your Glass it disappears from Glassware and there is no option to reinstall it."

http://sfist.com/2014/10/28/is_twitter_trying_to_distance_itsel.php

Also the new apartment building they're building on Oak & Octavia will have studio apartments that start at $3100/month

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 28, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i'm glad she's successful at making money off of branded video games but if i had daughters i would probably not be happy with the idea that making sex tapes is a way to break into the industry

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I don't understand how a person can have traits I like and don't like at the same time, please help

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

It's gonna be great when they teach the homeless to code and then 8 months later they're still homeless because they don't have access to showers, clean clothes and an address to give to potential employers, let alone overcoming the "culture fit" bullshit

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

is it like a techie thing that people ITT can only think in binary?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

"We occupy every portashitter at the festival and agree to leave for the winning bid"

didn't then already coin this as AirPnP?

which was extra-hilarious because PnP is slang for "Party n Play" in the gay community where dudes shoot up meth and bone

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

THC posted:

also there's not an app for the bus and that's super lame, what is this 2006?

nextmuni.com/WebKit

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've never used uber does the surge price not show up until during / after the ride is complete (like is that poo poo not locked in before)

it's all poo poo that you can see beforehand but if you can see the screen well enough to see the price then you're drunk/high enough to use uber. the beauty is that you can open the app and hit "SUMMON UBER" and have one show up without you having the motor skills to necessarily make it from your chair to the car without help

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My first memory of Denny's was when my family moved to Milpitas right before the 1989 earthquake and we went into a Denny's there and they wouldn't serve us

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

my dad likes to eat at Waffle House because he has fond memories of being drunk at Waffle House in 1978

it is only acceptable to eat at Waffle House if you are a trucker or a professional wrestler or it is 1978

i went to ferguson, MO to film a documentary on the mike brown shooting and the only place i ate was waffle house. it made denny's look upscale.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Uber has jumped into the subprime loan business:

quote:

The subprime lending market that plunged America into the Great Recession is back and as unscrupulous as ever. Instead of mortgages, this time a bubble has formed around auto loans, and reliably ruthless Uber is in the thick of it. Two "partners" in Uber's vehicle financing program are under federal investigation, but Uber hasn't slowed its aggressive marketing campaign to get drivers with bad credit to sign up for loans.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/uber-and-its-shady-partners-are-pushing-drivers-into-su-1649936785/+laceydonohue

Maybe Uber will die sooner rather than later

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

somebody in the Uber thread was like, "Oh it's no problem if uber drivers can't make their payments, Uber can just repo the car and re-sell it"

lol at all the mountains of bullshit this would involve, including even the simplest part of acquiring the car AND re-selling a vehicle used for the entirety of its life as a taxi

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Tinder is a legit goldmine because what better market is there than people who want to gently caress

It's a goldmine if they can figure out how to mine it without sticking their dicks in it. Or, as drug dealers always say, you don't smoke your own product.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the housing is right there and there's a bunch of stuff in the shipyard too like practice studios and poo poo. no one cares because everyone there is poor and black but once they finish getting rid of the blacks and start building condos they'll probably find some money to clean it up.

or maybe they won't since Facebook and Google are sitting on toxic superfund sites and haven't bothered cleaning them up

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

cremnob posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/12/uber-travis-kalanick-controversy?mbid=social_twitter

One of Uber’s earliest investors explains Kalanick’s pugnacious reputation in more matter-of-fact terms: “It’s hard to be a disrupter and not be an rear end in a top hat.”

it makes sense when "disruption" is just "ignoring the law"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I saw the pics. They're pretty terrible. I can't imagine what kind of psychopath could strangle a woman to death, photograph her naked, then go and post about it on 4chan like "Wow it's way harder in person than in the movies!"

The followup post with her mouth hanging open and the comment "she fought so drat Hard" made me lose some hope for humanity. Dude is out with a BB gun apparently preparing to suicide by cop

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it's on gawker. someone posted a link to a photo archive of the thread

RZA Encryption posted:

idk what this has to do with the tech bubble. is he mr. tinder or something? also can't the cops be warned that it's just a bb gun?

it was a murder by the hacker known as 4chan

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Amazon is now using Uber drivers to deliver packages. I can't imagine drivers will bother doing more than a few deliveries before they realize that it's a lovely deal for them

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

meanwhile Uber is driving away (heh) women in droves because their corporate culture is like a professional fraternity and the drivers themselves write poo poo like "Picking up hot chicks is the best part because she's trapped in this cell with you until you let her go heh heh make a move, bro"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

true, true, I forgot about the kidnappings and the stalking. also the assaults, those don't seem to be popular either

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

One of the guys who works at SpaceX just got busted for running the Silk Road 2.0. Apparently he registered the website with his personal email address and left his hard drives unencrypted so the police have a nice little list of buyers across the world

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Square is so loving doomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Twitter is paying their execs to not flee the company

quote:

Frequent reorganizations led to defections at lower levels, prompting management to ask some senior staffers who planned to leave to delay their official announcements in exchange for higher pay. Over time, these staffers came into the office less and less until their final exit, which some employees called "getting ghosted."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/twitter-ceo-dick-costolo-struggles-to-define-vision-1415323289?tesla=y&mod=LS1

nationalize twitter end the skybridge

• Locked thread