Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

"independent contracting" is a goddamn wage-theft scam
flexibility! be your own boss! work when you want to! say goodbye to the stale old nine to five grind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Haha .... oh wait you're serious ... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
well im doing really well in it and im clearly in the top 2% or 3% of the population mentally so yeah it is a meritocracy

:smug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cyberpunk dystopian future is here, now!

valleywag posted:

Facebook and Apple Offer Egg-Freezing Perk So Women Never Stop Working

Tech corporations have perfected the science of the employee perk: a lavish amenity designed to keep workers in the office and fixated on the job. The recent announcement that Facebook and Apple will pay for female employees to freeze their eggs is perhaps the most fascinating example of what's behind America's unbalanced work-is-life mindset.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

that reads like an onion-wannabe
historians will mark 2014 as the year the onion pretty much became redundant

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
theres a fjord in your future

e: also, the pnw has one threat that cali doesnt - volcanos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Citizen Tayne posted:

They're saying "we're going to demand so much of you that you can't expect to have a normal life or reproduce within the usual biological limits." That's super hosed up.
theres also the stigma that will be associated with any woman who doesnt get her ovaries harvested. women with kids will find the ladder even harder to climb in the future because hey if they were really dedicated to the job they would have taken advantage of freezing their eggs instead of selfishly having kids

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but lmao at the idea of writing loving software hard enough to put off/give up having a family

browser plugin!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's what I do!
its how the ceo of america online was able to call out two employees for having expensive difficult childbirths as the reason the company missed its quarterly numbers and no one was getting bonuses a year or two ago, right?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

it's california, right? all their day cares are run by satanists
theres a bill in the assembly to make it legal for non-satanists to run day cares but its unclear if it has enough votes to get out of committee

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with people's minds that makes them think "i have secrets, but i will share them with the world, but it will be okay because i'm doing it on THE INTERNET"
the least surprising news i ever heard in my life was that snapchat did not in fact delete all you pictures forever 15 seconds after sending them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's funny, because just last year i was hearing people demonize how overpaid teachers are and it nearly broke my brain
they get to go home at 230pm! they get summers off! two weeks off at christmas!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

maniacdevnull posted:

haha the #9 one looks like a penis
:xd:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Citizen Tayne posted:

There are 212 different municipalities in this county.
saint louis has the same problem - a zillion tiny little micro-jurisdictions for white-flight and tax-dodging reasons (of which ferguson is one), each with its own tiny little police force and city council and courthouse and near-zero oversight and massive corruption and ridiculous inefficiencies

l.a. has cities literally titled "industry" and "commerce" for tax- and regulation-busting reasons

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah well i have high 500's credit and will never be given a loan again so we're talking like a $2500 '02 from Best Buy Here Pay Here that we pay off the 14% note on in ~3 months

I'm cash heavy credit light right now.
stack that paper jonny

(and come visit us in the bay area next year!)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

My car is a busted up Toyota now and not only do i not even notice dings, but I don't care. Its a wonderful feeling.
realible beaters are the best thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*points to dilz*
i said reliable

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Forums Terrorist posted:

no, you said realible
ah

well now it makes sense

sorry h p

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

crown vic got a real nice ride at a real nice price. seems like a rly good car.
its got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, its got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

syscall girl posted:

and when you drive it it makes you look like jerry orbach
orbach was so beloved by the nypd that if he was walking down the street, cop cars would pull over and ask him if he needed a ride anywhere

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
meanwhile in bizarro silicon valley

quote:

Pittsburgh wins 'ugliest accent' contest at Gawker.com
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburghers talk funny.

The city has "won" Gawker.com's ugliest accent tournament, besting the other finalist -- Scranton -- in a reader's poll with more than 54 percent of the vote.

The gossipy news site set up a tournament bracket pitting what it deemed the 16 ugliest city accents in the United States against one another.

Pittsburgh advanced to the finals by winning readers' votes over Atlanta, Philadelphia and Boston.

The Pittsburgh accent, an odd amalgam of southern twang and lazy East Coast diction -- which turns downtown into "dahntahn" and you all into "yinz" -- "worsted" Scranton by a vote of 10,404 to 8.748.
its kind of impressive that pennsylvanians can understand human language and communicate at all, frankly

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

how can anyone not find the boston accent the worst
pittsburgh has always been a special and exceptional place

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

A new start-up company called Handybook called me quickly after I hit submit on their online application. I breezed through a phone interview and was invited to interview in person for a Customer Experience Associate position the very next day.
i know rent is due and all, but those are two flashing red lights right there

1) send an application
2) phone rings five minutes later
3) its a scam, mlm "opportunity", or cult

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

lmao fuuuck. this girl i'm seeing starts working there on the 27th. literally this exact job in that exact office. I don't even know if i should share this article with her because of how stressed she was looking for work.

edit: oh yeah and one of the managers asked her out during the interview lol
tell her if she learns how to work her smartphones recording features unobtrusively she will probably be able to bank a generous sexual harassment settlement in six months

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is exactly the sort of sentiment I cynically assume every start-up (and Google) operate under.
cafeterias, quads, bicycles, event flyers posted all over the place - googles campus is exactly like a college campus (and not by accident)

also: guys, false alarm, handy is a completely different company now

quote:

Update 5:40pm: Handy co-founder Oisin Hanrahan emailed Valleywag a statement, saying the company is "different today."

While it posted today (October 21), the article by Amanda Tomas relates to an experience she says she had 15 months ago, in July of 2013. At that time, Handybook employed less than 15 people. Today, Handy is two and a half years old and employs 200 people.

Every young company goes through growing pains, and we're no different. While we don't think the article was in any way representative of the experience working on our team, we do of course find it disturbing. A lot of the facts in the piece have no bearing on our company today, and reflect a fast growing team that has learned along the way.

For instance, today our customer experience team works a regular eight-hour shift, not 12. We supply our employees with laptops, they don't use their own. And we don't ask prospective employees to work a trial day before they are hired. Was it always this way? No. And when Amanda says she applied nearly a year and a half ago, our company was newer, smaller and still figuring out best practices. In short, things are different today than they were then.

At the same time, the allegation that there was any racism or sexism– overt or otherwise – in our office or amongst our team is one that we take extremely seriously. We at Handy do not stand for harassment of any kind. If we find any indication otherwise, the reaction will be swift and clear — that kind of behavior is not tolerated at our company, and never will be.

In short, as we continue to grow we're working every day to ensure the happiness of our customers and employees. We understand today more than ever that our employees and professionals are the lifeblood of our business.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

i can't understand the pittsburgh accent either
its incomprehensible but with enough practice you can make out the general gist of what theyre trying to say with their gutteral noises ("want food", "want sex", "go pengiuns", etc.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

good lord. can you even afford to live in a freezer box in NYC on 30k?
depends how many roommates your willing to put up with

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

ever purchase $100+ dollars worth of mcdonalds food at once? it'll change you.
ronnie, i just wanted to tell you how much i enjoy your webcomic "whomp!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Citizen Tayne posted:

food, sex, the Penguins, what else do I need
iron city beer

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

tbqh for a while last year i was living in an pretty cool place (7 roommates, but big rooms) in bushwick on around 30k. but then the landlord tried to scam us and then somebody else killed him and threw his burning body in a dumpster.
lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

sometimes it's funnier when i don't get a reference and i just read a comment like this divorced of context and then someone goes lol so i lol anyway
i just thought it was a true story

nyc is a tough town yo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Werthog 95 posted:

In short, as we continue to grow we're working every day to ensure the happiness of our customers and employees. We understand today more than ever that our employees and professionals are the lifeblood of our business.
illusive gently caress man said the interviewer hit on his girlfriend just a few days/weeks ago

so excuse me if im a little skeptical of your company growing beyond its fratbro roots

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

lol, nerds are the real victims
they are

just not in the way they think they are

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

ah yes, a clunky to use qr-based app using direct ACH access to your checking account which only benefits the merchant and leaves you the customer holding the bag in the case of fraud or the merchant loving up.

bitcoin people have got to be pissed about it because it has stolen all of their bad ideas.
what steve jobs said about the stylus is 100x as true when it comes to qr codes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

what did he say about the stylus?
that if you see a consumer device with one then somebody has hosed that product up badly

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
guys, private industry is head and shoulders more efficient when it comes to allocating resources and cutting costs than any government agency

*writes off $6.2 billion acquisition of aquantive*
*writes off $900 million of unsold surface 1 inventory*
*buys nokia for $7.2 billion*

heh. stupid money-wasting bureaucrats

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

and gold ads on fox news.
cable news ads are the best:

reverse mortgage/medigap insurance policies/mobility scooters/mail-order catheters/boner pills/asbestos lawsuits

hmmm i wonder what their target demographic might be?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

does he think that human cells don't die?

does he not realize that normal metabolism generates waste products that need to be evacuated?

does he not understand that the intestinal lining is constantly growing and shedding?

i know the answer to all of these questions is "no" but holy gently caress the arrogance of this rear end in a top hat
lmao look at this shill, totally in the thrall of Big Toilet, not realizing that he only poops because They make money when he does

wake up sheeple

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

god bless America :patriot:
you tried that and it got you nowhere

id have thought youd be more jealous, rotor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

I cleared $78 after tax & expenses :(
worst $20 i ever spent :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

reminder: the soylent guy also didn't include iron in the first version he made and quickly went anemic in the first 2 weeks
that makes me think that soylent was designed by a bunch of nerds who read a couple of wikipedia articles and then figured they were dunning-krueger experts instead of trained and credentialed nutritionists and dieticians and food scientists. but that cant possibly be right. can it?

• Locked thread